OFFICIAL - U2.Com - New Album Out In 2009 / Speculations Pt. 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elvis Pressley and America is one of my favorite U2 recordings, so I had to chime in. It's pure abstract expressionism, the equivalent of a painting by Mark Rothko or Jackson Pollock. Don't worry about the meaning of the words. Give in to the atmosphere, the raw unformed emotion. It's like Sigur Ros before Sigur Ros were even born ...

Remember too, that this is U2 before The Joshua Tree was even a gleem in their eye. Eno's little experiment with Bono is like a snapshot of the very birth of that new artistic freedom and creativity that would ultimately lead to their best work ...

Well said. I totally agree. And nice 1st post.

How so?

Musicians are just like all other artists. If the inspiration is there then let it out. They can try to force it out by going into the studio and trying to "make it happen" you can't draw water from a stone. If there isn't any inspiration then nothing comes out. I've been an illustrator and painter all of my life and know plenty of other artists who would attest to this. Of course there are times when you are forced to work and deadlines are there. I do some of my best work at those times, but I think my very best work and ideas comes from random moments when something just pops in my head and needs to be released.

Sorry, but "practicality" and Art don't mix. It isn't science...though I wish it were some days. :D

no, it was meant to be a joke. you're very right indeed.

Elvis Pressley and America is one of my favorite U2 recordings, so I had to chime in. It's pure abstract expressionism, the equivalent of a painting by Mark Rothko or Jackson Pollock. Don't worry about the meaning of the words. Give in to the atmosphere, the raw unformed emotion. It's like Sigur Ros before Sigur Ros were even born ...

Remember too, that this is U2 before The Joshua Tree was even a gleem in their eye. Eno's little experiment with Bono is like a snapshot of the very birth of that new artistic freedom and creativity that would ultimately lead to their best work ...

I appreciate your take on the song, well written as it was, but I still have to call it what it was: a poor song that shouldn't have made the album.

That being said, I agree with you that the Eno experiment was a good one and probably helped give Bono the confidence to just "let it out" like what we heard in some of the Hansa recordings. I just think EP&A is an experiment that should have been left as a B-side if anything. I just think that they needed some filler on the album and that song along with a couple others was what they put in as a result.

According to the September 'Q' article, it seemed like half the camp wanted a pre-Christmas release, and half wanted it in the new year. (In the Studio: U2 | U2 news article from @U2)

For all we know, Bono was in the pre-Christmas camp. :shrug:

I'm interested in them re-recording songs to avoid over-production. That sounds interesting. Let's hope it doesn't take 269 mixes like it was for Hawkmoon 269.:angry:

I also think that U2 have done so many different styles of music that it must be hard for them to find something new to play. You would think most bands by now would dry up of ideas.

u2.com just posted a brief interview with Denis Sheehan and he offered a bit on the new album:

"...And I still get exited when I hear their new music. Until we were in America I hadn't heard anything since Fez and I was very excited by a number of the songs - some of the sounds that Edge is getting on his guitar took me way back and some of the songs took me into another place I'd never heard them in.

I can't wait to hear them live again, I love their ability to play live as they're one of the greatest ever live bands. They put so much of themselves into it - all four of them, their heart and soul is really in the music. It's my love for live music which explains why I'm still in the business after all this time. I had no idea it would last this long but then the jazz greats keep going and rock'n'roll should be no different..."

So who is going to send this clip to Bono?:D

I must say like I said before I don;t care how long they takbe because its all about them but hearing Bono complain about how bands take years to finish an album made me laugh haha. I guess he now understands why bands takes years to finish albums hehehe

there are 4 members in U2, remember?
and Bono in the last (and only :| ) post on u2.com said he wanted the songs released already :up:

u2.com just posted a brief interview with Denis Sheehan and he offered a bit on the new album:

"...And I still get exited when I hear their new music. Until we were in America I hadn't heard anything since Fez and I was very excited by a number of the songs - some of the sounds that Edge is getting on his guitar took me way back and some of the songs took me into another place I'd never heard them in.

I can't wait to hear them live again, I love their ability to play live as they're one of the greatest ever live bands. They put so much of themselves into it - all four of them, their heart and soul is really in the music. It's my love for live music which explains why I'm still in the business after all this time. I had no idea it would last this long but then the jazz greats keep going and rock'n'roll should be no different..."
hmm, maybe Denis Sheehan should read this forum more often just to find out that his opinion on the intensity they experience their music is just his opinion and wrong at that

Disagree with u salome.

They are an awesome live band thru and thru. And Sheehan's opinion would be a lot closer to the mark than most of us here.

I think (I hope) Salome meant it in a sarcastic way, because there are fans here who claim U2 aren't interested in music anymore, because they're bitter about the album delay. I know it's not true.

More 80's sounds from Edge on his guitar ?

Rich spoiled brats stopped caring years ago, mr Sheehan.

With statements like this it surprises me even more while people come to a U2 fanboard. :|

I'm also making money with my art.

Guess that means I don't care about it any more.

I knew something was terribly wrong with my life, thanks for opening my eyes.

u2 still must care about their music if they are taking so long releasing. Not caring would mean they release any crap.

i think when you're a massive, massive band that employs lots of people and you're going to be running a many multi-million dollar international touring operation for most of a year and there's going to be a massive marketing push behind whatever product you choose to release (whether you like it or not) and you have the weight of 28 years of massive sales and somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 Grammies and an induction into the R&RHOF, these things take a little bit longer.

and when you've got the time, because now you've got than money, why not take the time and make sure you've got it right?

the argument can surely be made that too much time results in overproduction, and that might well be true, but in a venture of this size, like it or not, it more often than not pays to be thoroughly prepared.

it's not very rock and roll, that is true. but U2 transcended that limited genre in 1987. with great power comes great responsibility.

(but, yes, 4 years is a long time)

If you had said to Bono at that stage they would take 4 years to make an album i think he would have had you locked up!

As far as I'm aware they haven't spent 4 years making the new album. I was under the impression that they didn't start on the album with Eno/Lanois until early 2007, making it just under 2 years.

As far as I'm aware they haven't spent 4 years making the new album. I was under the impression that they didn't start on the album with Eno/Lanois until early 2007, making it just under 2 years.

yeah, exactly....some of you like to think U2 started working on this album the day after the HTDAAB was released or something....which is just bs....

yeah, exactly....some of you like to think U2 started working on this album the day after the HTDAAB was released or something....which is just bs....

I was under the impression that U2 (mostly Bono and then Edge) write stuff most of the time (riffs, melodies, lyric ideas...) even on the road?
So in that sense I guess they started working on the new album after How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb was released.

They started writing most songs that ended up on the previous record during the All That You Can't Leave Behind sessions and even earlier as well.
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - Had "been around for years" according to Bono, without the falsetto piece.
Love And Peace or Else was started during the previous album sessions ("Love and Peace").
City of Blinding Lights started it's life as a POP outtake.
A Man and A Woman - Another All That You Can't Leave Behind leftover
Original Of The Species - same as the above ("Origin Of The Species").
Miracle Drug - Yet another song of All That You Can't Leave Behind origin.
Vertigo - The Edge says he came up with the main riff it while on the road.
That leaves us with four fresh songs: All Because of You, Crumbs From Your Table, One Step Closer and Yahweh.
(Although "One Step Closer To Knowing" might've been an earlier version of that track. Perhaps they just changed the title in the end?)
Also Are You Gonna Wait Forever started out as "Are You Going To Wait Forever?" from the All That You Can't Leave Behind sessions.
Source(s): http://www.u2interference.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96182

Of course, taking rough ideas and making them into complete songs are a different matter and takes time to accomplish.
But I hope I've made it clear that U2 aren't working exclusively in a studio in the company of producers.
I don't know if that is what you were saying there Rob? I might've misunderstood you and I'm sorry if I did.

Of course, taking rough ideas and making them into complete songs are a different matter and takes time to accomplish.
But I hope I've made it clear that U2 aren't working exclusively in a studio in the company of producers.

But I thought that on this album the producers were also co-writers, hence work on the album didn't start offically until early 2007 with writing sessions with Eno/Lanois in both Dublin and Eze respectively.

But I thought that on this album the producers were also co-writers, hence work on the album didn't start offically until early 2007 with writing sessions with Eno/Lanois in both Dublin and Eze respectively.

That's true, however Steve Averill pointed out (after the Fez sessions became known) that they were working on two projects. One by themselves and one with Eno/Lanois. Also, Lanois was seen hanging around Hanover Quay before the Morrocoan recording sessions: U2place - "Mercy" nel nuovo album degli U2? - Le notizie in italiano sugli U2
Lanois has said they were invited to the south of France to work with the band but I can't recall if that was before or after Morocco.
In any case, then they went to Fez an wrote 30-40 pieces if I remember correctly and the rest is quite well known by now.

Sorry for expressing an opinion,and even then going by what bono said in the video,2 years is to long. But anyway im gonna get on with my life and when its released its released.

Back
Top Bottom