OFFICIAL - U2.Com - New Album Out In 2009 / Speculations Pt. 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think this has been posted yet...

News | Africa - Reuters.com

Poverty campaign inspires new U2 song, says Bono
Thu 23 Oct 2008, 1:17 GMT

[-] Text [+] By Lesley Wroughton

WASHINGTON, Oct 22 (Reuters) - When 116 million people recently stood up against worldwide poverty, their coordinated cry failed to make big headlines -- but they did inspire Irish rocker and activist Bono to write a new song for his group U2.

In an interview with Reuters on Wednesday, Bono said the Stand Up and Take Action campaign in 131 countries had moved him to start creating a song called "Stand Up".

"It's not finished yet but it's inspired by this concept of stand up. It's a little diamond, though," Bono said, speaking by telephone from Los Angeles.

"It's not a 'let's hold hands and the world is a better place sort of song.' It's more kick down the door of your own hypocrisy," he said.

it might become their best song ever!
it also might never see the light of day
or anything in between
so I'm not really bothered yet

"It's not a 'let's hold hands and the world is a better place sort of song.' It's more kick down the door of your own hypocrisy," he said.

For me, "kick down the door" would make for a better album title than NLOTH. Also, the album sleeve should include a picture of a diamond, since Bono seems fascinated by them at the minute!

Newsflash: U2 album delayed so Bono can write a song about his Africa work.

:uhoh:

^^^^^^^^^^

yeah, it worries me that he's in the early stages of writing a new song. this could mean a later album release than we think.

who even says it is for the next album?
the man felt inspired so he wrote a song
it's how he makes his living

For me, "kick down the door" would make for a better album title than NLOTH. Also, the album sleeve should include a picture of a diamond, since Bono seems fascinated by them at the minute!

Could we be having the first real political U2 album on our hands ?

who even says it is for the next album?
the man felt inspired so he wrote a song
it's how he makes his living

EXACTLY.

The band writes songs all of the time, especially if they've just recorded a new album. He's already in that song writing mode, why stop because you've got ONE album ready?

I remember reading a quote by Bono during an interview that said something like once he gets a song in his head he's got to get it out regardless of when or where it happens.

EXACTLY.

The band writes songs all of the time, especially if they've just recorded a new album. He's already in that song writing mode, why stop because you've got ONE album ready?

I remember reading a quote by Bono during an interview that said something like once he gets a song in his head he's got to get it out regardless of when or where it happens.

poor bono, that's not very practical.

U2 are still writing songs. It isn't too difficult too grasp, really. U2 have always written songs up until the last days of releasing the master tapes to the record company. 'Last Night on Earth' is an example. 'Fast Cars' is another example. It shouldn't come as any surprise. It's nothing new.

I for one hope U2 keeps writing as many songs as they can. The more they write, the more opportunity for better songs on the new album. One thing is clear, this album is gong to be great, because this time I get the feeling U2 will not release it until it is great. I suspect we will be getting a masterpiece, just as Daniel Lanois has alluded to.

poor bono, that's not very practical.

How so?

Musicians are just like all other artists. If the inspiration is there then let it out. They can try to force it out by going into the studio and trying to "make it happen" you can't draw water from a stone. If there isn't any inspiration then nothing comes out. I've been an illustrator and painter all of my life and know plenty of other artists who would attest to this. Of course there are times when you are forced to work and deadlines are there. I do some of my best work at those times, but I think my very best work and ideas comes from random moments when something just pops in my head and needs to be released.

Sorry, but "practicality" and Art don't mix. It isn't science...though I wish it were some days. :D

As long as the song sounds good I don't care. Bono was always political. People want to hear good music. What I think people fear is if the lyrics end up being trite and forced. We'll see when it comes out. Certainly there are at least 4 great sounding songs based on ben's beach clips, and I hope there are more.

How so?

Musicians are just like all other artists. If the inspiration is there then let it out. They can try to force it out by going into the studio and trying to "make it happen" you can't draw water from a stone. If there isn't any inspiration then nothing comes out. I've been an illustrator and painter all of my life and know plenty of other artists who would attest to this. Of course there are times when you are forced to work and deadlines are there. I do some of my best work at those times, but I think my very best work and ideas comes from random moments when something just pops in my head and needs to be released.

Sorry, but "practicality" and Art don't mix. It isn't science...though I wish it were some days. :D
:yes:
I agree, there are times when something pops up and I try to get it on record as soon as possible even it turns out to be rather bland afterwards. It kills me when I'm not around my equipment and have to remember a certain riff or melody for a while. :lol:

YouTube - Bono & Brian Williams
"I don't know where the stuff comes from. But -eh - it keeps comin' and it interrupts you when you're trying to get the job done.";)

Back
Top Bottom