Official listing of tracks from u2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no problems with this listing, perhaps The Fly could have made it instead of Mysterious Ways, But if the aim is to appeal to casual fans and to try to attract new fans, then this is as good a listing as they could come up with.
Window in the skies is reason enough for me to buy it.

I Will Follow, tacked on the end...what a joke.
How can you have a bonus track on a compilation called U218 Singles!?

U218 Singles (Well 19 Actually, if you are British)

If they put in a bonus, why not at least integrate it better into the tracklist. Is there *any* reason to just stick it at the end?

Why are we "honoured" with I will follow? My least favourite U2 hit! It wasn't a hit single here. It would be better, to have a bonus track for each country, each bonus one to have particular significance with that country. One Tree Hill for NZ, Angelof Harlem for the US etc...

who cares about the tracklist? we're all buying it for the two songs on there...genius marketing.

this CD is for casual u2 fans.

I won't buy a whole CD just for one song. I will eventually get to hear the new song anyway. I would buy the single of the new song, but not this third best-of CD. I already have the songs, and can listen to them whenever I want.

FUCK U2 FOR THIS STUPID BULLSHIT. FUCK ´EM. :madspit: Instead of coming up with a half assed effort like this one they should be working in the studio. FUCK THESE LAZY OLD GEEZERS.

BrownEyedBoy said:
FUCK U2 FOR THIS STUPID BULLSHIT. FUCK ´EM. :madspit: Instead of coming up with a half assed effort like this one they should be working in the studio. FUCK THESE LAZY OLD GEEZERS.

yes fuck 'em indeed!! they are so fucking lazy with Bono's humanitarian work, Edge's personal family problems, and the new leg they are about to start!!

if it was sarcasm I apologize:reject:

I don't really care, but I was surprised how bad the tracklist was--Looking forward to WITS, but was disappointed with a tracklist that is so vanilla, and aimed at my grandma.

Mofo said:

yes fuck 'em indeed!! they are so fucking lazy with Bono's humanitarian work, Edge's personal family problems, and the new leg they are about to start!!

Yeah, it is pretty damn lazy. The entire reason Bono is in the position to do his humanitarian work is because of his music. They've effectively stopped making music now (three albums in ten years is pretty fucking lacksadaisical - even long-dead rappers - I'm thinking Tupac and Biggie here - have a better output from the grave), so as far as I'm concerned they should haul ass into the studio the MINUTE they leave Honolulu.

What the fuck are THREE best of's in eight years necessary for? For Christ's sake.

Not only am I mad at U2 for totally selling out with this, but the fact that they obliterated nearly HALF their career - three years of Boy and October, and nine between AB and ATYCLB. Come on now. There's no way any reasonable person can tell me that four ATYCLB tracks are necessary on this, while it's perfectly cool to ignore Boy, Pop, and Zooropa (we all expected nothing from October, although I still think that's horseshit, too).

I'm not buying anything else from U2, just on principle alone. They've got enough of my cash as it is, so now I'm just going to steal all their new stuff! :happy:

Last edited:
looking at many of the responses i've seen in this thread makes me glad i don't wait tables because i'd spit on your dinners for being bitchy customers.

jacobus said:
i don't buy this crap...sellout :down:
sure i have heard you say this before?

i'll put money on it now, you and all the other moaners will say something bad about the new song, no matter what

i will put this bet on with you right now.

Last edited:
I fail to see why U2 couldn't have included a song from each album on this compilation. True, some songs were better hits than others. However, it doesn't make very much sense to completely shun certain albums simply because they didn't chart as high. Gloria would appeal to a casual fan just as much as anything off ATYCLB. Oh well, it doesn't really bother me because I'm not even going to buy it. Still, a rather surprising tracklist I must say.

When will we get details on the DVD, ie U218 Videos (as it says on Amazon.com). That site says 1 DVD, but surely there will be more than 18 Tracks.

GibsonGirl said:
I fail to see why U2 couldn't have included a song from each album on this compilation. True, some songs were better hits than others. However, it doesn't make very much sense to completely shun certain albums simply because they didn't chart as high. Gloria would appeal to a casual fan just as much as anything off ATYCLB. Oh well, it doesn't really bother me because I'm not even going to buy it. Still, a rather surprising tracklist I must say.

Not that surprising.

They're going to pander to the casual fans who've heard those on the radio, not something awesome from the '90s.

Didn't you know U2 went into hibernation between 1991 and 2000?

Well, Elvis Costello Bono and Fake Edge made an appearance with The Sweetest Thing in '98, but that doesn't count.

It occured to me that this U218 tracklisting probably represents the songs that will be played forever in concert (will Sweetest Thing make a comeback?)

mikal said:
looking at many of the responses i've seen in this thread makes me glad i don't wait tables because i'd spit on your dinners for being bitchy customers.
you're a better human being than I am
I'd follow it up with throwing it in their faces

I wouldn't mind losing the job if this were the customers I has to deal with

Last edited:
Kind of pointless to add another viewpoint to this debate, but what the heck.

Far as I can see, there's three major viewpoints:

1.) People disappointed that this release wasn't more aimed at loyal fans and showcased truly the band's best work, whatever it be. Stay, One Tree Hill, Acrobat, Gone, what have you.

2.) People who understood and accepted the single-driven, casual-fan nature of the release but were still bewildered by some selections. No "I Will Follow"? Two songs from all of the '90s? Four songs from a recent album but zero from the first two?

3.) People who think the band can do whatever it wants and are pretty much okay with that.

All pretty valid viewpoints. I put myself in the number-two camp, but I'm not getting too upset about it.

Just for kicks, I pulled the playlist together on iTunes and gave it a listen. I'm surprisingly impressed with the way the songs flow.

Lastly, a theory. There are 16 tracks of previous work here, and they seem to be curiously selected and grouped. Is it possible that each group of four songs was the preferred selection of each member of the band (4 times 4 = 16).

Look at tracks 5 through 8: mostly bass-driven songs. Adam's selection?

Tracks 9 through 12: Could very well be Bono's favorites--three lyrical powerhouses plus Sweetest Thing, which obviously has personal significance.

Tracks 1 through 4: All songs with very strong or innovative drumming (maybe not With or Without You so much, but listen closely and there is some cool percussive bursts).

Which leaves tracks 13 through 16: Okay, hard to imagine these are the songs The Edge is most proud of, but certainly he must love to play Desire and Elevation because they are very fun guitar parts. I always thought the guitar melody was the best part of Walk On.

So not a perfect theory (Stuck in a Moment is not *that* heavy on bass), but a fun exercise.

MixingBliss said:
Kind of pointless to add another viewpoint to this debate, but what the heck.

Far as I can see, there's three major viewpoints:

1.) People disappointed that this release wasn't more aimed at loyal fans and showcased truly the band's best work, whatever it be. Stay, One Tree Hill, Acrobat, Gone, what have you.

2.) People who understood and accepted the single-driven, casual-fan nature of the release but were still bewildered by some selections. No "I Will Follow"? Two songs from all of the '90s? Four songs from a recent album but zero from the first two?

3.) People who think the band can do whatever it wants and are pretty much okay with that.

All pretty valid viewpoints. I put myself in the number-two camp, but I'm not getting too upset about it.

Just for kicks, I pulled the playlist together on iTunes and gave it a listen. I'm surprisingly impressed with the way the songs flow.

Lastly, a theory. There are 16 tracks of previous work here, and they seem to be curiously selected and grouped. Is it possible that each group of four songs was the preferred selection of each member of the band (4 times 4 = 16).

Look at tracks 5 through 8: mostly bass-driven songs. Adam's selection?

Tracks 9 through 12: Could very well be Bono's favorites--three lyrical powerhouses plus Sweetest Thing, which obviously has personal significance.

Tracks 1 through 4: All songs with very strong or innovative drumming (maybe not With or Without You so much, but listen closely and there is some cool percussive bursts).

Which leaves tracks 13 through 16: Okay, hard to imagine these are the songs The Edge is most proud of, but certainly he must love to play Desire and Elevation because they are very fun guitar parts. I always thought the guitar melody was the best part of Walk On.

So not a perfect theory (Stuck in a Moment is not *that* heavy on bass), but a fun exercise.

you forgot the 4th camp which are the ones that act like U2 owes them something and this compilation is a nice "fuck you"

and nice theory, but if each had 4 songs to pick I think we would have gotten a more interesting song list, I sure this list is pretty much the "best" they could come up with commercial purposes

Back
Top Bottom