Official Interference reviews (out of 5 stars)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First of all, I hate writing about music.
It’s not that I don’t like thinking about music, but it just seems that when you put it into words almost all subtleties are lost. (IMO there are only very few people who can actually write somewhat balanced on music and I definitely am not 1 of them.) Things become “strong” or “weak”, “favourite” or “least favourite” etc. Most of the time making something into what it’s not, nor was ever intended to be.
Writing about music also seems to be top heavy with personal justification disguised as matter of fact statements. I do believe that also in music you can make plenty of objective statements. Problem is that you can not really be objective on why you actually like something. All of you probably have once been told by someone that if you love this song / album / band you will also love that song / album / band. But it just doesn’t work like that.

Anyway, No Line on the Horizon.
When I first listened to the album I loved it more than I have ever loved any album on first listen. It actually felt that the U2 I didn’t even know I had missed had come back to me and it’s an amazing feeling.
50 listens later I actually love the album even more than I first did.
= don’t expect any objectivity here

I love the spiritual first 4 tracks, I love the deeply personal last 4 tracks, and I love the 3 life affirming (for lack of better words) tracks in the middle.
To me saying that they added the middle 3 tracks to lighten the mood, is the same as saying that they added the first 4 tracks to add spirituality to the album, or that they banged the last 4 tracks in there to darken the mood.
It’s there because nearing the age of 50 U2 has brought us an album that truly is a whole. Tracks weren’t thrown in there to add light to darkness, tracks are there because life is light and darkness. This album is not just teenage wonder, adolescent longing, a search, being found, despair, dark, light – this album is a whole.

I don’t really want to go into individual tracks, because it would take away from how I experience No Line on the Horizon at the moment and therefore I am sure that I would write something I’ll end up regretting.

I am well aware this might be the most cringe worthy thing I have ever written, but I honestly was caught off guard that the band who has touched my life more through music than any other band is about to release an album that touches me more than any of their previous work.
Should stars be awarded for that I’d have to go 5/5

1. No Line - what a great start, Bono has rediscovered his voice? The band sounds great and the only problem may be Bono starting to sound a little annoying now that he's flaunting his greatness...

2. Magnificent - well it is damned magnificent!! U2 doing what they do best and it's a true classic, simply beautiful. Not enough superlatives for this song, just listen and smile uncontrollably for 5 minutes.

3. Moment Of Surrender - A song that builds and builds, but does'nt fully satisfy, however it has some great moments and interesting lyrical moments. Should have turned into an epic, but fell a little short... has a hint of Edge greatness... if only he kept it going and Bono belted out a big verse or even bridge after the solo.

4. Uknown Caller - interesting beginning that builds into a great song that will never fall short of expectations. The chanting really builds a story and then Edge blows your mind.... i cant even begin to imagine how i will feel when this is played live in a proper concert... that solo will lay poeple flat i am telling you!!

5. IGCIIDGCT - Beautiful day mixed with Original of the Species and it works so beautifully. Some lyrics could make some cringe, but it's all about what musical taste you are looking for.... what's wrong with having an uplifting song once in a while... its fits so damn well in this album. Anyhow u2 is all about exloring joy as well as sorrow. I'll go crazy if this wont be a single, it will be big on the radio.

6 . Get On Your Boots - This song kicks you in the face, then once you realise what has happened you see that it was not a guy that did it, it was a chick and you start to laugh or cringe at the thought of it as she runs away( as in those verses that leave you wandering why Bono let his dog write the lyrics to the song) then suddenly the chorus starts and in one of the best moments in the album you left wandering why oh why did they mix thier best with thier worst.

7. Stand Up Comedy - Wow how totally awesome is that guitar, yet the drumming and bass guitar is sweet too. Bono sings really well and there are no lyrical cringeworthy moments unlike this song's cousin Love and Peace or Else. Some great irony mixed in as well and its totally something you can sing along too, this will be unbelievably great in the live setting!!! Who cant wait to see what the Edge produces then??

8. Fez - Being Born - Well this is something else, the beginnings of the album started here and it show how creative U2 can be. Takes the album in a new course and you can get lost in the sound once Edge starts playing that note as Bono begins shouting... awesome. Yet this would still only rank as 7th best song on the album.

9. White As Snow - Very solemn, yet beautiful and takes the album to another direction yet again.... after all the excitement of the previous tracks it can feel a bit of a bore unless you are holding out for a break on the harder stuff. The song builds, yet it could have gone further.. however this song serves it's purpose rather well.

10. Breathe - Wow this really goes off, awesome intro and very cool bass/guitar rythms, a new direction in Bono's vocal delivery and very beautiful chorus and gorgeous lyrical ending, 'i found grace, its all that i found' at one of the best peaks of the album. Only problems are maybe too many keyboards running against the rocking rythm and maybe 1 or 2 unneeded lyrics. if you heard the beachclips you will be left feeling jipped as they completly replaced the breakdown section at the bridge which may have been the most beautiful moment in U2 history since 'All I want Is You' right after Edge's Solo. Still a great song and will be insane live.

11. Well we go back to the previous feeling of going from 1 extreme to the other, which works rather well. Bono does'nt sing this, he talks and there are some creative moments that make you wish there was a buildup towards the end... but it finishes faster than you think and is'nt bad for the ending to possibly the greatest album of all time.. did i just type that.. holy crap i did. Well its totally possible it will be.

Well I'm glad I have one potential reader :D

okay guys have fun reading my 20 page review, it's awesome I swear!!!!

My favourite U2 albums are, to an extent, opposites. There's The Joshua Tree, which defined 80's U2, and Achtung Baby which defined the 90's. There's Pop, the much-maligned but quite brilliant sonic exploration of U2 pushing themselves as far as they were willing to go, and then All That You Can't Leave Behind, the best-selling, back-to-basics, perfect collection of songs which redefined U2 for a new generation.

Where does No Line on the Horizon fit in all of this? I'm not quite sure. There are songs that fit with seemingly every era of U2 (I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight wouldn't sound out of place between In a Little While and Wild Honey, FEZ-Being Born recalls the experimentation of Zooropa and Passengers, and Magnificent is a revitalized 80's U2), and then there are songs like the title track, which to me couldn't fit on any other album. No Line on the Horizon manages to be both diverse and cohesive, which neither of the albums from this decade could quite manage. More importantly, the album may be their most consistent. None of the songs are clearly inferior. Even U2's best albums have tracks that most fans often skip. Not so with No Line.

No Line on the Horizon - As I have said before - thank you, Brian Eno. The b-side demo known as "No Line on the Horizon 2" had me seriously worried, but thankfully the album version delivers. Full of dynamics and atmosphere, it sets up the album perfectly. Bono deserves some thanks too - fun lyrics and a youthful, energetic vocal delivery gives the song its life, along with Larry's drums. And Edge's wonderfully distorted guitar. And of course, Adam's ever-pulsating bass. So, basically the whole band is on fire for this track, including the producers. Good work guys!

Magnificent - U2 have been listening to The Killers? I can see it. I can also see that The Killers have been listening to U2, and after the travesty that was Day & Age Mr. Flowers might want to reconsider his comments about The Killers being potentially bigger than U2. Especially after he hears this song. It's an instant classic, the kind of uplifting, anthemic rock that only U2 can pull off. Edge does that thing where he plays a simple delay riff that makes you cry because you know you'll never write anything so timeless. The rhythm section will have you jumping up and down in stadiums, and lyrics like "Justify, til we die, you and I will magnify! AAoohh ohh! Magnificent!" are ridiculously fun to sing along to. Only U2 can leave such a mark.

Moment of Surrender - I could write a lengthy review of this song, or I could just tell you that Bono's voice is absolutely incredible and that Eno wasn't lying when he said it's one of their best. The hymnal chorus comes out of left field, but on repeated listens it feels more and more natural. The atmospherics may be reminiscent of Passengers, but really U2 has never done anything quite like this song, and probably never will again, considering it was done in one take. A magical moment. Of surrender. Which lasts 7 minutes. Seriously though, an absolutely beautiful piece conveying a quite tortured character. Bono is the clear star here.

Unknown Caller - Every review feels the need to mention the birds in the intro, which to me is probably the most insignificant part of the song. So I'm not really sure what that's all about. Maybe they all wrote their reviews based on the 30 second clips. That having been said, this is one of the best tracks on the album. The verses have some of my favourite lyrics of the album - "I was lost between the midnight and the dawning/In a place of no consequence or company/3:33 when the numbers fell off the clock face/Speed dialing with no signal at all" "I was right there at the top of the bottom/Of the edge of the known universe, where I wanted to be/I had driven to the scene of the accident/And I sat there waiting for me." Bono sounds positively heartbroken, so much so that I want to give him a hug, and also wipe my eyes. Luckily there's a joyous chorus to save both the character and me, complete with obligatory OoooooOoOooh's. As we all know, in the outro Edge plays a stunning solo up there with his best, fitting the song as perfectly as the solo of New Year's Day. Oh yeah, and Bono likes Macs. Force quit, and move to trash.

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - Pop perfection. "It's not a HIIIILL it's a MOUNTAAAIN!" is one of the better parts of the album, and the "Baby Baby Baby!" bridge tops that. I think the line "Shout in to the darkness, squeeze out sparks of light" best fits the mood of this song. I also need to point out the line "The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear," solely because every other review does. Bono's being self-deprecating, get it? Aren't you glad I explained that to you? Anyway, Edge's solo is super catchy. Yep.

Get On Your Boots - Everybody hates this song, except me.

Stand Up Comedy - I was sold in the first 3 seconds, when Edge played a riff somewhere between Zeppelin and Rage. The verses are funky, mostly thanks to Adam. The chorus is typical 00's U2, but that's not a bad thing. As the last song in the middle section of the album, it's pure fun. Yeah, the lyrics are a bit obvious ("God is love"?) but with a groove like that, who really cares about the lyrics? I mean, at least there's that Napolean line. You know it, because you've read about it a thousand times. Anyway, I think Bono is the only singer who can get away with saying "Come all ye people" and not sound too ridiculous. But the right to be ridiculous is something he holds dear, remember?!

FEZ - Being Born - I actually find myself wishing the first part was longer, because it's gorgeous. A song you can close your eyes and live in for awhile. But then Being Born kicks in and suddenly you're speeding on the auto route, lights flashing past. Definitely a feeling of movement. A song that manages to be both experimental and very U2 at the same time. It has quite an ethereal quality to it. The multiples voices in the second verse ("Lights...") are reminiscent of the end of "One Minute Warning."

White as Snow - Placed after Get On Your Boots this track would have sounded absurd, but somehow it makes sense after Fez, which users in the third section of the album. Bono shows his versatility here, sounding like a world-weary man as opposed to the fun-loving Bono on Crazy Tonight. Appropriately so, as he's playing a character. The music and lyrics evoke spaces, recalling the late 80's U2. This is obviously one of the more subtle tracks on the album, but I don't think anyone can deny the beauty of the crescendo in the middle of the track. This is a beautiful song, and something I don't think they could have written at any point before now.

Breathe - Within the first 30 seconds, you know there's no way this song can fail. Aggressive drum intro? Cello? 3/4 riff with attitude? Bring it on. And then Bono comes in, practically raving with an undeniable swagger. Cockatoo! One thing is for sure: U2 knows how to write a song. Each part flows seamlessly into the next, building up to one of U2's best choruses. When Bono sings "Walk out into the street, sing your heart out," well, that's exactly what I want to do. This song somehow manages to be everything U2 is and yet like nothing they've ever written before. Insert infinite praise here.

Cedars of Lebanon - Haunting. Gorgeous. Sorrowful. "Return...the call...to home" is the single best moment on the entire album. It beautifully contrast's Bono's vocals in the rest of the song. Sounds pulsate in and out of the song, much like Wake Up Dead Man, except even better. Edge's solo is brief, but it couldn't have been any other way. The song ends without any sort of climax, but I can't imagine any other sort of ending. This song is perfect, and possibly the best closer to any U2 album.

No Line is not as accessible as the last two albums; it takes many listens to fully sink in. It's hard to say if this album can ever surpass The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby in reputation, but after listening to the album well over 50 times I can safely say it belongs up there with them. U2 have done it again, against all odds - what other rock bands have put out one of their best albums nearing age 50, after being together for over 30 years? Their 13th album is gonna have a lot to live up to.

Oh, if you couldn't tell:

5/5 gold stars.
You put into words exactly how I feel about this album - this is 100% my view - nice one

First of all, I hate writing about music.
It’s not that I don’t like thinking about music, but it just seems that when you put it into words almost all subtleties are lost. (IMO there are only very few people who can actually write somewhat balanced on music and I definitely am not 1 of them.) Things become “strong” or “weak”, “favourite” or “least favourite” etc. Most of the time making something into what it’s not, nor was ever intended to be.
Writing about music also seems to be top heavy with personal justification disguised as matter of fact statements. I do believe that also in music you can make plenty of objective statements. Problem is that you can not really be objective on why you actually like something. All of you probably have once been told by someone that if you love this song / album / band you will also love that song / album / band. But it just doesn’t work like that.

Anyway, No Line on the Horizon.
When I first listened to the album I loved it more than I have ever loved any album on first listen. It actually felt that the U2 I didn’t even know I had missed had come back to me and it’s an amazing feeling.
50 listens later I actually love the album even more than I first did.
= don’t expect any objectivity here

I love the spiritual first 4 tracks, I love the deeply personal last 4 tracks, and I love the 3 life affirming (for lack of better words) tracks in the middle.
To me saying that they added the middle 3 tracks to lighten the mood, is the same as saying that they added the first 4 tracks to add spirituality to the album, or that they banged the last 4 tracks in there to darken the mood.
It’s there because nearing the age of 50 U2 has brought us an album that truly is a whole. Tracks weren’t thrown in there to add light to darkness, tracks are there because life is light and darkness. This album is not just teenage wonder, adolescent longing, a search, being found, despair, dark, light – this album is a whole.

I don’t really want to go into individual tracks, because it would take away from how I experience No Line on the Horizon at the moment and therefore I am sure that I would write something I’ll end up regretting.

I am well aware this might be the most cringe worthy thing I have ever written, but I honestly was caught off guard that the band who has touched my life more through music than any other band is about to release an album that touches me more than any of their previous work.
Should stars be awarded for that I’d have to go 5/5

:up::up::up:

Was a post like this ever written following the last two albums?? Wow U2 have massivly connected to their hard-core fans with this record!

Thanks so much for sharing!!!! :wave:

4/5 (for now)

- Easily one of their most consistent efforts. It really requires attention and further listenings to sink in.
- After HTDAAB's plainness, I'm glad that U2 have that special feeling of mystery and magic in their music again.
- Have to agree that the middle three songs bring the album down a bit, though I like them all. It's just that after the first four songs build up this amazing otherworldly atmosphere the middle stretch brings it into a more mundane territory and that's kinda disappointing.
- I don't really feel like delving into individual tracks, but on the first listen, White as Snow was the song that immediately made me think, yes I want to listen to this over and over. I had no idea at the time that it was based on a traditional song, but to me it had this strange "old" aura to it. Very moving vocal from Bono.

Here is my review: 4.5/5

With the recent leak of U2s new album, No Line On The Horizon, which definitely caught me by surprise (I've never experienced a leak of an album that i've closely anticipated yet). I managed to get a listen to basically all of the songs even with an incredibly slow internet connection slowing me down. Us U2 fans had to go back 5 years to the last record, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb in 2004, which gained many sales but wasn't too popular with many U2 fans.

From the last record No Line On The Horizon is a change of direction, trying to take another road, along that road they had brought producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois.

The album begins with the title track, a song with rough Edge guitars and a great atmosphere, Bono sings "I know a girl / She's like the sea / I watch her changing everyday for me", next up is Magnificent, a song that is truly 'magnificent', an amazing track chocka-block with chiming Edge guitars and thumping drumming from Larry Mullen Jr. Into third we have the 7-minute epic Moment Of Surrender, Adam Claytons bass is notable in the song, Bonos screams took me by surprise, very passionate. He makes references to an ATM machine, which for some may be awkward although I tend to enjoy it, in the second half of the song The Edge plays a brief but brilliant guitar solo, which reminds me a lot of Pink Floyd/David Gilmour.

We begin the fourth track, Unknown Caller with softly chiming guitars and a birdsong which was taped by Brian Eno, it is filled with group chants and lyrics such as "Reboot yourself" and "Move to trash", those sort of lyrics seem new to U2, a classic Edge guitar solo also features in the song. As we reach the fifth, the ridiculously titled "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight", a poppy tune with prominent drumming and trademark chiming guitars, Bono belts out the lines "It's not a hill / It's a mountain / As you start out the climb". Get On Your Boots is the sixth track, as most of us know is the 'fuzzy' lead single released to radio in mid/late January. So far so good.

The seventh track, the also ridiculously named "Stand Up Comedy", a rocker that really has a 70's feel to it, with a funky Edge distorted riff and once again fantastic drumming and bass playing. One of the lines that captured my attention was 'Stop helping god across the road like a little old lady', this song would be killer played live. After the 70s style rocker we get to the experimental "Fez/Being Born", full of interesting sounds and wait a minute, they've recycled Get On Your Boots' "Let me in the sound" part, not once but twice! The song contains only two verses. The ninth is the beautiful ballad "White As Snow" which is simply beautiful and emotional and features the haunting line "If only a heart could be as white as snow", after that we go to "Breathe", a song where Bono sings about cockatoos and travelling salespeople, rapidly too, it is accompanied by a joyful chorus and an Arabic cello, which fits in the song brilliantly well. Last but not least is "Cedars Of Lebanon", a song basically half spoken by Bono as he takes the role as a war correspondent, and he takes it very well at that.

In the end No Line On The Horizon is a brilliant album, and very close to the masterpieces "Achtung Baby" and "The Joshua Tree", if it is better than those two, only time can tell.

:)

3/5

With the potential to move up or down. I absolutely don't get the love for UC. The edge guitar solo is hardly anything to get excited about. Magnificent is great. Moment of Surrender is a very good song. Breathe is moving up in my book. Crazy Tonight is an above average song.

It's just a little saddening that I feel the need to skip quite a few songs while listening. Fez-Being Born is a great direction that I wish they would have pursued further. Right now it just seems like a really average album, by a band that I know is capable of so much more. They are way too focused on the critics and being "big" now.

Maybe some of the songs I don't care for will come to life when played live.

A few great songs, but overall....mediocre.

My Full Review of NLOTH

Sorry mods, for the life of me, I could not find the thread for fan reviews. Feel free to move this if you wish.

----------------------------------

I held off on writing a full review. I’ve made the mistake of jumping the gun with U2’s last two albums by proclaiming them as the dreaded “M” word. You know, “Masterpiece”. I hate that word. I really do. I promise not to use that word ever again. It’s not that I disliked All That You Can’t Leave Behind or How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. I listen to both with enjoyment quite often. I believe they harbor some of U2’s greatest songs. “Beautiful Day”, “Walk On”, “Kite”, “City Of Blinding Lights”, Original Of The Species”, the list goes on. The only thing missing for me is that I didn’t feel like I was part of a real event. I wasn’t “in the sound”. That all changed with No Line On The Horizon.

From the initial burst of life in its title track, to the chilling ending of “Cedars Of Lebanon”, this album has grabbed my attention and it won’t let go. While there are a couple bumps in the road, they’re very minor, not enough to damage the album as a whole. In my opinion, this is by far U2’s strongest album since Achtung Baby.

After two weeks of listening, critiquing, and enjoying, here is my track by track review:

(Disclaimer: I’ve never considered myself a great writer, so bear with me.) :wink:

No Line On The Horizon – Five seconds in, an explosion of noise tells me that I’m in for something special. This is not the U2 that released How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb or All That You Can’t Leave Behind. Another thing that jumped out at me is Bono’s vocals. He’s trying new territories. He is challenging himself again, and we are treated with Bono’s new found confidence quite a bit throughout this album. I’m still discovering the many layers in this song. The piano bit during the chorus creates a chilling magic and makes the transition back to the verse that much more powerful. The guitar during the 3rd verse and outro is also a very nice treat.

Magnificent – The first minute of this song alone is worth the price of admission. These are sounds I’ve never heard out of this band before. I don’t think people give them enough credit for the fact that they are still making this kind of sound while on the eve of 50 years old. This song pushes the boundaries of what bands like the Killers are doing, but they hold true to their sound. I had set very high expectations for this song after hearing the beach clip, so I was a little nervous that I would experience a let down. Luckily, this song met my expectations and is continuing to grow on me. I would actually put this song up there with “Beautiful Day” and “Pride” as one of their best anthems.

Moment Of Surrender – Wow….just wow. Great intro, and Bono’s vocals during the verse just grabs you by the throat. The song reaches the 7:30 mark, but it seems about half the length. I’ve heard some complaints about the chorus being boring. I guess I don’t really look at this song from a verse-chorus-verse-chorus perspective. This song is bigger than that. I feel like I’m sitting in the window seat on a train during this song. It’s a journey, not a traditional rock song. I initially thought this song could have faded out at the end, but I’ve learned to fall in love with the ending. It has a very 70’s, almost Lynard Skynard feel to it, and how The Edge subtly turns the overdrive on in the last couple seconds just blows me away.

Unknown Caller – I’ve been in love with this chorus for two years, ever since the Lanois film. It’s funny, because for me, this song has almost been like putting together a puzzle. The Lanois film, the beach clip, and the Wal-Mart clip pretty must helped me put together the pieces. What makes this song spectacular is that I’m still blown away by it. The transition from the intro to the chorus and then first verse is special. The horns and the church organ are a new flavor that I haven’t heard from U2 before now. This song is a great example of how layered this album really is. It seems like some people wanted that instant feeling of experimentation. But this album makes you work for it!

We’ve entered the dreaded 5-7 zone. The most controversial part of this album starts here. I personally don’t have a problem with it. For those who think the next 3 songs hurt the album, listen songs 6-8 on The Joshua Tree and get back to me. In my opinion, every great rock album mixes the mood with the punch. If you’re missing one or the other, you don’t have a complete result.

I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight – This is definitely an upgrade from beach clip 5. I’ve learned to like it for what it is, a pop song. This song will never make any of my Top 10 lists, but it’s still a good tune. I think the vocals are great during the chorus, and the “We’re gonna go crazy if we don’t go crazy tonight” line is very fun, and very catchy. Every time I listen to this song, I find myself wondering why I don’t listen to it more. The little guitar solo right before the last chorus is a burst of joy, and one of my most favorite moments on this album.

Get On Your Boots – I’ve said many times that this song is a victim. It’s guilty of being the first single, and it seems that it’s hard for many people to truly appreciate how much this song kicks ass. Although simple, the guitar riff is one of The Edge’s finest moments. The middle eastern twist on the chorus is very enjoyable. Every time I listen to this song, I’m floored by the “Let Me In The Sound” part. It adds even more energy to an already energetic song. Now that I’ve let the album settle in, I find myself choosing to listen to this song more and more.

Stand Up Comedy – I would say that this is the only song on the album that hasn’t convinced me yet. It’s not that I don’t like the song, but I just feel like it’s the ugly duckling of this album. Now who knows, 3 months from now I may feel different, and an explosive live version of this song could completely change my mind too. Now that I got that off my chest, I do really like the riff, the “Love…love…love…” and the guitar solo leading into the outro.

Fez – Being Born – From the first day this album leaked to now, this has been my favorite song on the album. This is the song I’ve wanted U2 to make since Zooropa. The way Bono wails over the chilling piano will go down as one of the most spine chilling moments in U2’s history. Did I mention that these men are making these sounds on the eve of turning 50 years old? My only complaint is that I would have liked to hear a longer version of the Fez intro leading into Being Born, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we hear a longer version someday down the road. Thank you U2 for making this song.

White As Snow – This song is a definite grower. I was a little bored the first time I heard it, but that’s only because it’s slower and doesn’t have a massive hook. But the more I dig in, the more I love it. The lyrics are incredible, and now knowing that the theme behind this song is the 4 minutes it takes a soldier dies makes this song very touching and emotional. If songs like “Peace On Earth” and “One Step Closer” could have hit this level of emotion, I may have had different feelings about their last two albums.

Breathe – Stadium rock with a twist! Do I hear a cello? On the surface, this sounds like standard U2. But like the rest of this album, the more you dig, the more you find. I’ve seen a couple comments saying that this song could have been on their last album. I couldn’t disagree more. This song has many layered instruments to enjoy with a good pair of headphones. I also like that this song doesn’t get over aggressive for the sake of being aggressive. It keeps begging the listener for more. And more comes with the live version. The joyful chorus couldn’t come at a better time on this album. We just finished witnessing a death on “White As Snow”. This song picks me up very quickly.

Cedars Of Lebanon – This is another song that didn’t hit me right away, but has grown into one of my favorites. The atmosphere and random noises that pop up in this song really grab my attention over an otherwise low key, subtle performance. The beauty really lies in Bono’s voice. On an album with many strong screams out of him, he still has the guts to tone it down when he needs to. The chorus creates a great transition from an otherwise verse-heavy tune. I consider this U2’s strongest chorus since Wake Up Dead Man.

---------------------

In conclusion, I’m not going to give it a rating because I think it’s pointless to spill my feelings and then attach a number to it. I’m also not going to use the term “Masterpiece”, because I think it’s overused.

What I will say is that this album has exceeded my expectations. I genuinely feel that this is their strongest effort since Achtung Baby, and that it will stand the test of time. I’ve been trying to listen to other music to prevent myself from getting burnt out on this album, but it’s an addiction at this point. I have to listen to this album once a day. And now that I’ve written this, I must give it another spin.

Thank you U2 for this amazing piece of work.

Thanks for reading. :wave:

great review mikal :up: I especially appreciate your comments about Boots. Still love that song, especially the Let me in the sound part :drool:

for me the thing I've noticed most is my favourite songs really depend on my mood. Sometimes I think oh yeah, SUC and Crazy Tonight are the weakest tracks on the album, but there are other times when I want to listen to them more than anything else! It's also sequenced really well; the only transition that is jarring to me is Crazy Tonight-->Boots. But with the drum intro of Boots I don't know if it's possible for it to not be jarring.

A big fat 5 out of 5 from me. I just went and bought the vinyl and the album at midnight and am listening on my ipod. It's like hearing the album for the first time again. It is much more intense so close to your brain! Every song has such intricate layers to it. For me 1. Achtung Baby 2. The Joshua Tree but I have a feeling this may dance around and in between those two albums over the years which is a little hard for me to grasp right now but such an awesome feeling at the same time. There is definitely something magical about this record!

3.5/5

would have been 5/5 had it not been for songs such as GOYB, Stand Up Comedy, Breathe and IGCIIDGCT, in particular, that aren't that strong. it takes an album of pure brilliance to hand 5 stars, and that's not quite the case. It's got brilliance, but also some crap.

My point exactly.

The first and last part of the album: 5/5
The "middle section": 1-2/5

The album: 3,5/5

I still find myself listening from beginning to end without skipping tracks. A thoroughly enjoyable experience.

4.5/5 for me.

I'll go for 4/5

it takes a few listens to get this album and it demands being listened to through a decent set of speakers- first time I heard it was in the car driving up the M5 and I missed so much of the little touches that make this album a bit different from the last couple

NLOH- great lead track, much better than NLOTH2

Magnificent- why wasn't this the first single?? this is an utterly brilliant song- it will be a highlight of the live show

MOS- it's not One, but nonetheless is a great track, haunting music and some of the best lyrics on the album

Unknown Caller- mmmm not sure about this one, bit of a let down after tracks 1-3, musically fine- lots going on, it's just some of the lyrics that let it down really- specifically the chorus- other than that it's fine

Crazy Tonight- ok they pinched the melody from Abba's Dancing Queen but it's a good track, an obvious single, very traditional U2

Get on your boots- wrong choice for first single, there is much better stuff on the album- I still like the song, not their best moment certainly but somewhere in the middle

Stand Up- another mmm track for me- musically it works, but not convinced about the rest of it- suspect it will work much better live- it also reminds me of Robbie Williams:down: which is rather unpleasant frankly

Fez Being Born- almost seems out of place with the rest of the album, reminds me of Unforgetable Fire for some reason- which is probably why I like it

White as Snow- this is utterly amazing- one of the most beautiful songs U2 have ever done

Breathe- a touch of the Michael Stipes with the lyrics- love the cockatoo line- again lots going on in this track that you don't hear the first time- there are sitar type sounds in this somewhere- good track

Cedars of Lebanon- perfect way to end the album, wasn't sure about this initially but it works so well

the real test of any album will be in a couple of years- be interesting to see what the reviews are like in 2011

Sorry mods, for the life of me, I could not find the thread for fan reviews. Feel free to move this if you wish.

I held off on writing a full review. I’ve made the mistake of jumping the gun with U2’s last two albums by proclaiming them as the dreaded “M” word. You know, “Masterpiece”. I hate that word. I really do. I promise not to use that word ever again. It’s not that I disliked All That You Can’t Leave Behind or How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. I listen to both with enjoyment quite often. I believe they harbor some of U2’s greatest songs. “Beautiful Day”, “Walk On”, “Kite”, “City Of Blinding Lights”, Original Of The Species”, the list goes on. The only thing missing for me is that I didn’t feel like I was part of a real event. I wasn’t “in the sound”. That all changed with No Line On The Horizon.

From the initial burst of life in its title track, to the chilling ending of “Cedars Of Lebanon”, this album has grabbed my attention and it won’t let go. While there are a couple bumps in the road, they’re very minor, not enough to damage the album as a whole. In my opinion, this is by far U2’s strongest album since Achtung Baby.

After two weeks of listening, critiquing, and enjoying, here is my track by track review:

(Disclaimer: I’ve never considered myself a great writer, so bear with me.) :wink:

No Line On The Horizon – Five seconds in, an explosion of noise tells me that I’m in for something special. This is not the U2 that released How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb or All That You Can’t Leave Behind. Another thing that jumped out at me is Bono’s vocals. He’s trying new territories. He is challenging himself again, and we are treated with Bono’s new found confidence quite a bit throughout this album. I’m still discovering the many layers in this song. The piano bit during the chorus creates a chilling magic and makes the transition back to the verse that much more powerful. The guitar during the 3rd verse and outro is also a very nice treat.

Magnificent – The first minute of this song alone is worth the price of admission. These are sounds I’ve never heard out of this band before. I don’t think people give them enough credit for the fact that they are still making this kind of sound while on the eve of 50 years old. This song pushes the boundaries of what bands like the Killers are doing, but they hold true to their sound. I had set very high expectations for this song after hearing the beach clip, so I was a little nervous that I would experience a let down. Luckily, this song met my expectations and is continuing to grow on me. I would actually put this song up there with “Beautiful Day” and “Pride” as one of their best anthems.

Moment Of Surrender – Wow….just wow. Great intro, and Bono’s vocals during the verse just grabs you by the throat. The song reaches the 7:30 mark, but it seems about half the length. I’ve heard some complaints about the chorus being boring. I guess I don’t really look at this song from a verse-chorus-verse-chorus perspective. This song is bigger than that. I feel like I’m sitting in the window seat on a train during this song. It’s a journey, not a traditional rock song. I initially thought this song could have faded out at the end, but I’ve learned to fall in love with the ending. It has a very 70’s, almost Lynard Skynard feel to it, and how The Edge subtly turns the overdrive on in the last couple seconds just blows me away.

Unknown Caller – I’ve been in love with this chorus for two years, ever since the Lanois film. It’s funny, because for me, this song has almost been like putting together a puzzle. The Lanois film, the beach clip, and the Wal-Mart clip pretty must helped me put together the pieces. What makes this song spectacular is that I’m still blown away by it. The transition from the intro to the chorus and then first verse is special. The horns and the church organ are a new flavor that I haven’t heard from U2 before now. This song is a great example of how layered this album really is. It seems like some people wanted that instant feeling of experimentation. But this album makes you work for it!

We’ve entered the dreaded 5-7 zone. The most controversial part of this album starts here. I personally don’t have a problem with it. For those who think the next 3 songs hurt the album, listen songs 6-8 on The Joshua Tree and get back to me. In my opinion, every great rock album mixes the mood with the punch. If you’re missing one or the other, you don’t have a complete result.

I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight – This is definitely an upgrade from beach clip 5. I’ve learned to like it for what it is, a pop song. This song will never make any of my Top 10 lists, but it’s still a good tune. I think the vocals are great during the chorus, and the “We’re gonna go crazy if we don’t go crazy tonight” line is very fun, and very catchy. Every time I listen to this song, I find myself wondering why I don’t listen to it more. The little guitar solo right before the last chorus is a burst of joy, and one of my most favorite moments on this album.

Get On Your Boots – I’ve said many times that this song is a victim. It’s guilty of being the first single, and it seems that it’s hard for many people to truly appreciate how much this song kicks ass. Although simple, the guitar riff is one of The Edge’s finest moments. The middle eastern twist on the chorus is very enjoyable. Every time I listen to this song, I’m floored by the “Let Me In The Sound” part. It adds even more energy to an already energetic song. Now that I’ve let the album settle in, I find myself choosing to listen to this song more and more.

Stand Up Comedy – I would say that this is the only song on the album that hasn’t convinced me yet. It’s not that I don’t like the song, but I just feel like it’s the ugly duckling of this album. Now who knows, 3 months from now I may feel different, and an explosive live version of this song could completely change my mind too. Now that I got that off my chest, I do really like the riff, the “Love…love…love…” and the guitar solo leading into the outro.

Fez – Being Born – From the first day this album leaked to now, this has been my favorite song on the album. This is the song I’ve wanted U2 to make since Zooropa. The way Bono wails over the chilling piano will go down as one of the most spine chilling moments in U2’s history. Did I mention that these men are making these sounds on the eve of turning 50 years old? My only complaint is that I would have liked to hear a longer version of the Fez intro leading into Being Born, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we hear a longer version someday down the road. Thank you U2 for making this song.

White As Snow – This song is a definite grower. I was a little bored the first time I heard it, but that’s only because it’s slower and doesn’t have a massive hook. But the more I dig in, the more I love it. The lyrics are incredible, and now knowing that the theme behind this song is the 4 minutes it takes a soldier dies makes this song very touching and emotional. If songs like “Peace On Earth” and “One Step Closer” could have hit this level of emotion, I may have had different feelings about their last two albums.

Breathe – Stadium rock with a twist! Do I hear a cello? On the surface, this sounds like standard U2. But like the rest of this album, the more you dig, the more you find. I’ve seen a couple comments saying that this song could have been on their last album. I couldn’t disagree more. This song has many layered instruments to enjoy with a good pair of headphones. I also like that this song doesn’t get over aggressive for the sake of being aggressive. It keeps begging the listener for more. And more comes with the live version. The joyful chorus couldn’t come at a better time on this album. We just finished witnessing a death on “White As Snow”. This song picks me up very quickly.

Cedars Of Lebanon – This is another song that didn’t hit me right away, but has grown into one of my favorites. The atmosphere and random noises that pop up in this song really grab my attention over an otherwise low key, subtle performance. The beauty really lies in Bono’s voice. On an album with many strong screams out of him, he still has the guts to tone it down when he needs to. The chorus creates a great transition from an otherwise verse-heavy tune. I consider this U2’s strongest chorus since Wake Up Dead Man.

---------------------

In conclusion, I’m not going to give it a rating because I think it’s pointless to spill my feelings and then attach a number to it. I’m also not going to use the term “Masterpiece”, because I think it’s overused.

What I will say is that this album has exceeded my expectations. I genuinely feel that this is their strongest effort since Achtung Baby, and that it will stand the test of time. I’ve been trying to listen to other music to prevent myself from getting burnt out on this album, but it’s an addiction at this point. I have to listen to this album once a day. And now that I’ve written this, I must give it another spin.

Thank you U2 for this amazing piece of work.

Thanks for reading. :wave:

Awesome review, mikal--thanks for putting that up. One thing that really stood out to me was your comparison of tracks 5-7 to 6-8 on JT. I haven't seen anyone mention this before, and I think you're really spot on there. And Joshua Tree is my fav U2 album, so I think you just helped me appreciate the middle section of NLOTH even more :wink:. I also think SUC is the weakest link, but it could be an AMAZING live song. But will that make me more or less happy with the album version?

I would give it a 4.5/5 stars...and thats a tough rating. I put it down .5 because I don't like SUC and Crazy in this record; I do like the songs OK but they have no place on the album.

Overall, its a fantastic record. Outside SUC, all the songs do something for me and I don't skip over any.

Masterpiece? Only time will tell, but its a great album. Best since AB easily for me.

Awesome review, mikal--thanks for putting that up. One thing that really stood out to me was your comparison of tracks 5-7 to 6-8 on JT. I haven't seen anyone mention this before, and I think you're really spot on there. And Joshua Tree is my fav U2 album, so I think you just helped me appreciate the middle section of NLOTH even more :wink:. I also think SUC is the weakest link, but it could be an AMAZING live song. But will that make me more or less happy with the album version?

thanks Bram! yeah, the more i've listened to the album, the more i consider songs 5-7 to be very similar to songs 6-8 on Joshua Tree. i just wonder if had there been the internet in 1987, would people have been saying "This album would be a masterpiece if there wasn't that lull in the middle, but they regain their momentum with One Tree Hill".

2.5/5

Upon first listen, I found myself pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a record made just to pass the time, as I felt U2 had done with the previous two albums. Repeated listens, however, revealed a familiar shallowness and a disheartening eagerness to relive the glory days. The Edge stopped tinkering with his orgasmatron and instead built a time machine in order to steal his own riffs from the 80s. Eno has become more or less conventional in this day and age, and he certainly failed his main task: to prevent Lillywhite from bringing U2's early works back to life. Lanois, in spite of all his good blues-heavy intentions, is not going to stop Bono from becoming rock music's Celine Dion--a skilled vocalist whose singing can sometimes be downright annoying. No matter how much stronger of late his voice has become, Bono is more often than not the downfall of a decent melody of any given song on this album.

People who won't agree with my review will probably think I'm bitching about U2 not sounding like Achtung Baby or whatever, but honestly, I don't care what era of themselves they're trying to emulate. My opinion is that there are only a couple of gems in the album and the rest is just October warmed over. Am I supposed to be impressed by production tricks that any novice with a pirated copy of Cakewalk Sonar can easily reproduce? Which producer thought it was a good idea to record the vocals so prominently in the mix? I suppose this much talked about third-person point of view is something so revelatory that it changes the game for modern songwriters. Ha! These days, Bono is lyrically bankrupt compared to Conor Oberst or Neko Case, among others with miles more talent. Too bad that two added songwriters on this record wasn't enough to bail him out.

This is the worst review that i've read here... A solid piece of garbage.

don't worry, Gibson Explorer is one of the few members here who already decided that he would not like the new album before he even heard it. his opinions have little credibility, if any.

Aww, well he's certainly entitled to his opinion, even though, you, I and others might not agree with it.

I love this album. Right now, I give it 4.5 stars. But, as I listen to it more, that could change. My favorite track is Moment of Surrender. My least favorite track is Boots, but even that one I like.

it was a cautious 3.5 after first 10 days, but now it's strong and good 4...
middle 3 songs are not allowing me to go higher :(

My first reaction was to give the album an 8.5/10. It is better than that though. Initial exuberance is being replaced by the sobriety of time. It's higher than my cautious 8.5.....

4/5 is a good number, in my opinion. There are imperfections in the album, especially lyrically, but it's good enough that it earned a solid 4.

did a review when it first came out. actually like it more now...loved it before. i think it's one of their best.

i still wish they did something with the Crazy/Boots/SUC trilogy and went with other experimental tracks, but it's a great record.

I still listen to it all the way through (skip SUC though)

don't worry, Gibson Explorer is one of the few members here who already decided that he would not like the new album before he even heard it. his opinions have little credibility, if any.

I agree, he basically hates U2 as far as I know, a troll.

Back
Top Bottom