Now that we've heard the clip...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if I didn't think your behaviour on this site wasn't mere trolling (since I do think the only satisfaction you get here is by dishing out negative crap re. U2)

How can you so confidently state that shart1780 is only being negative to get a rise out of people??? What if they are his true opinions? Is that trolling too? As I understand it, Trolling refers to posting something simply to get a rise out of people even if it is not one's true opinion. I'm sorry to be so blatant but shaun vox's posts fit that definition to a tee! But a handful of people here who are genuinely disappointed with recent U2 are being labeled trolls because their opinion is negative? Lovely.

And for the record, I'm not trying to take anyone's side. I'm just telling it like I see it, the "if you're negative about U2, you're a troll" assumption that some people make here.

I'd love to join in on this discussion, but I haven't heard the clip. Could someone e-mail it to jkoutris@umd.edu? Thanks, I appreciate it.

But, I would like to comment on what has been previously stated in this thread:

1. I think this whole message board needs to take a good look at itself. I'm a member of many bands fanclubs and message boards and I must say, U2 fans are by far the most sensitive fans ever. It IS okay to criticize the band once in a while. Sure, there are going to be some people who are never satisfied, but that's life. Do you really want to read a thread full of everyone agreeing with you? Wouldn't that be boring?

2. I personally loved HTDAAB. To this day, I've never understood the hate that is hurled towards that album. It's one of my top 3 U2 albums. But I do understand if certain fans have a desire to not have another album sounding like the "Traditional" sound that was formed around 2000.

It doesn't mean that we won't ENJOY the album. I loved HTDAAB. But am I incredibly EXCITED, like "I-have-to-hear-this-NOW!" excited? No. Because I have a feeling that this album is going to sound like the third album in a row of that "traditional" sound. That's not a bad thing. I loved ATYCLB and HTDAAB. But I'm not going to pretend to be overly excited, since I can kind of already hear the songs in my head, just like I knew what "All Because of You" would sound like based off description alone.

Isn't this an okay opinion to have?

I'd love to join in on this discussion, but I haven't heard the clip. Could someone e-mail it to jkoutris@umd.edu? Thanks, I appreciate it.

But, I would like to comment on what has been previously stated in this thread:

1. I think this whole message board needs to take a good look at itself. I'm a member of many bands fanclubs and message boards and I must say, U2 fans are by far the most sensitive fans ever. It IS okay to criticize the band once in a while. Sure, there are going to be some people who are never satisfied, but that's life. Do you really want to read a thread full of everyone agreeing with you? Wouldn't that be boring?

2. I personally loved HTDAAB. To this day, I've never understood the hate that is hurled towards that album. It's one of my top 3 U2 albums. But I do understand if certain fans have a desire to not have another album sounding like the "Traditional" sound that was formed around 2000.

It doesn't mean that we won't ENJOY the album. I loved HTDAAB. But am I incredibly EXCITED, like "I-have-to-hear-this-NOW!" excited? No. Because I have a feeling that this album is going to sound like the third album in a row of that "traditional" sound. That's not a bad thing. I loved ATYCLB and HTDAAB. But I'm not going to pretend to be overly excited, since I can kind of already hear the songs in my head, just like I knew what "All Because of You" would sound like based off description alone.

Isn't this an okay opinion to have?

Great post! :up::up:

VP, I don't go into those forums much but the point I was trying to make was not restricted to shart alone. In general, it seems like if one is consistently negative in this forum, they are labeled a troll. What if they are consistently being disappointed for real with this band? That is NOT trolling, is it? Don't tell them to stop posting and leave because people can do as they wish. Maybe they enjoy past albums and that is the reason they continue to post on this website.

Ah well, this is a fan forum. Opinions are always gonna clash! :crack::wink:

It boggles my tiny mind the level of insanity and rancor caused by a barely audible clip that (No offense DOL and your friend who recorded it) sounds terrible.

Seriously. How can people form such strong opinions from this, like someone else said, its a 30 second non mixed not ready clip and people are judging it and fighting about it like it just came out in the record store. Cant we save these ridiculous arguments for when the song actually comes out and you can actually HEAR all of it?

Seriously. How can people form such strong opinions from this, like someone else said, its a 30 second non mixed not ready clip and people are judging it and fighting about it like it just came out in the record store. Cant we save these ridiculous arguments for when the song actually comes out and you can actually HEAR all of it?

I wonder how anyone could actually have any interest in the album if all they can do is whine about it before it's even released. I'm much happier not listening to the rumours/clips/fighting, getting the album on the day it's released and not have my enjoyment ruined by threads like this. :crack:

i don't think you'll want any more arguments being saved up for the new release, there will be an infinite number of them as it is :wink:

I wish there was a way to put this whole subforum on ignore. Then we wouldn't be tempted to even read the threads here. How cool would it be to just listen to the album for the first time the day it came out and form our own opinions without involuntarily getting influenced my comments here.

I did it for HTDAAB :shrug: Do you know I have yet to hear any of the Beach Clips?

I'm going to try my hardest for this one as well, I got burned by this latest clip and I have vowed to myself not to let it happen again... We'll see how strong my will power is :happy:

I did it for HTDAAB :shrug: Do you know I have yet to hear any of the Beach Clips?

I'm going to try my hardest for this one as well, I got burned by this latest clip and I have vowed to myself not to let it happen again... We'll see how strong my will power is :happy:

You really haven't listened to any of the beach clips even once??? :ohmy:

Nope...

I don't like unfinished material for the most part - it never sounds as good as the finished product imo...

I have the Salome Sessions and they irritate me to no end…

If this makes me less of a U2 fan for some reason or another so be it :shrug:

I haven't heard any of the clips either. I'm going to avoid listening to any snippets of the album until it's released.

Nope...

I don't like unfinished material for the most part - it never sounds as good as the finished product imo...

I have the Salome Sessions and they irritate me to no end…

If this makes me less of a U2 fan for some reason or another so be it :shrug:

I don't like the Achtung Baby outtakes either! That's what you are talking about, right? They're almost unlistenably boring to me.

I don't think that makes us any less U2 fans! :lol:

what if the album is leaked? or not even then? if you can resist an album leak i envy your willpower.

if I didn't think your behaviour on this site wasn't mere trolling (since I do think the only satisfaction you get here is by dishing out negative crap re. U2) I would be interested in finding out which bands you do like and see how much their music changes album after album

as it is I have to agree with Peter that in the end the last 2 albums objectively speaking don't sound like any of their other albums
even though I do think they can put out a more interesting album than Bomb

My favorite bands are:

U2
Peter Gabriel
Yes
Massive Attack
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Blur
King Crimson
Tricky
Kate Bush

I didn't have a big problem with ATYCLB. I love a lot of songs on there, but more than a few songs on there are mediocre. Atomic Bomb, on the other hand, was predictable and boring by U2 standards IMO. I'm not saying any song on there sounds like a copy of another U2 song, Im saying it sounds like the entire album is taking everything that made other albums good and watering it down to a predictable formula. Everything on this album (except Fast Cars and maybe Vertigo a little) screams safe, tradiotional U2. Plus none of the songs are all that great to begin with. I wouldn't have loved them on any other album either. And every song they've released for whatever reason since then has been even worse to me. The new version of One, Window In The Skies, Saints Are Coming and whatever else has been completely underwhelming to me.

Just heard the Beach Clips and I have to say that I just can't comment on them.

I shouldn't have read this thread because I heard references to "groovy", "Achtung Baby", and "unforgettable fire" so I was expecting something great.

All I ended up hearing was a descending guitar part that was a little reminscient of Hendrix's "Third Stone From The Sun" and a couple high notes from Bono.

There was some hint of a rhythm, but not enough to make any statements.

My point is that all this is is a collection of notes. No texture, no real rhythm, not enough to make a concrete statement on anything.

That will be tough I have to admit...

For HTDAAB I purposefully avoided this part of the forum for a couple of weeks and I lined up at the music store downtown @ midnight to get my copy - it was fun.

nice. i couldn't do that. i downloaded it as soon as i saw that i could. i still bought it the day it came out- but after 4 years i had to go grab it on the asap. of course, on the flip side, i DID wait four years, whats another couple weeks? who knows what i'll do this time. I'd like to wait until i have the actual CD.

Ah.

Nope, I won't be listening even if it's leaked. I won't find it hard to do at all. :shrug: The only way there would be a chance of hearing it is if the fiance would play it but I doubt he would if I was around.

VP, I don't go into those forums much but the point I was trying to make was not restricted to ...

You mentioned the one case, and so that's what I responded to, my reason for finding that one poster overtly negative. If you have a history of shit disturbing in multiple forums, you get a reputation. :shrug:

Now, if you want to talk about consistent bitching in general, I suppose that I never will understand why people do it. Honestly, it's music; entertainment, that's all. Why would one spend time on the forum of a band where you only like one or two albums out of a lengthy body of work, and then go to a fan forum and consistently criticize the rest of the work, while bemoaning the fact that it's been years since they've come out with anything you like? I dunno, maybe it's me, but it just doesn't make sense. For example, I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Aerosmith, but there are a couple of albums from the early 90's I like a lot. I just accept them for what they are and move on, I don't spend time on Aerosmith forums constantly posting over and over why those albums rule, the others suck, and being all pissy that, in all likelihood, they'll never produce anything I like ever again. And if I did, I'd expect the fans there to get a irritated at me after my 40th post stating that Honkin' on Bobo sucks! (OMG, that that title is so ridiculous). I can think of better ways to spend my time. Maybe that's just me, though.

Exactly. I STILL can't hear enough of it other than to get, as I said, a vague impression of a song. Certainly not details like some have been describing. Like others have said, there's a very good chance that it won't even be on the album in the form that was recorded by DOL's friend.

VP, I don't go into those forums much but the point I was trying to make was not restricted to shart alone. In general, it seems like if one is consistently negative in this forum, they are labeled a troll. What if they are consistently being disappointed for real with this band?
I also go to a Frank Zappa forum
there's a guy there who actually met FZ, he owns all the albums (which is about 8 times the amount U2 released) but he seems unable to post a single post without whining
yes, he's considered a troll

being disappointed is fine
being a negative whiner wears thin quickly both in real life and on forums very quickly

if you look at shart's latest post in this thread you can see that he actually is able to post his opion without sounding like anyone who actually does like something U2 released the last 10 years might not have a hearing and/or mental problem
this is to be applauded

Ah.

Nope, I won't be listening even if it's leaked. I won't find it hard to do at all. :shrug: The only way there would be a chance of hearing it is if the fiance would play it but I doubt he would if I was around.
i probably wouldn't d/l it, let alone play it for you :D

but he seems unable to post a single post without whining
yes, he's considered a troll

:huh: But it doesn't sound like he is doing it to get a rise out of people, which is the definition of the word, troll. He seems to be genuinely disappinted. And this is not a crime in my book.

Trolling to me is posting the same old shit in the forum but secretly chuckling to oneself because the person wants to start shit.

OK, I finally heard this and I don't see how it can be compared to anything. All I could discern was vague guitar, some noises from Bono, and a pervading sound like water running into a tub.

:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom