Now that we heard WITS and Saints...your verdict on Rick Rubin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doctorwho said:

IMO, Bono's lryics are just as good now, but they aren't as universal. Not every song is a "One" in how it can be interpreted. Also, it's nice to see Bono have some fun with lyrics, like in "Elevation". The result was a rocking song that is fantastic in concert. Sometimes U2 came across as too serious and songs like that really heighten and lighten the mood. Plus, it's a song about finding God - how much better can that get? :)

First off, I'm not saying he didn't have some lyrical missteps in the past - that goes without saying. But to say his lyrics aren't as universal now seems a little off to me. Just look at "Window in the Skies."

"Oh can't you see what love has done to every broken heart"
"Oh can't you see what love has done for every heart that cries"

It's a pretty simple and universal song about love and the heartache that can come with it. What bothers me most though is how simple and generic his lyrics come off as nowadays. The metaphors and imagery from earlier albums are gone. Where are the poetic and mysterious lyrics of "Lemon" (Lemon, see through in the sunlight)? Where are the daring outcries of "Zoo Station" (I'm ready, I'm ready for the laughing gas)?

I think the subject matter is fine. If Bono wants to keep writing about love and God, that's fine - he's been doing it for most of his career. But at least try to spice it up a little bit.

Also, the rhyming in "Window in the Skies" specifically seems really lazy to me, though that might be more a personal gripe. The "rhapsodize" line seems really forced (sidenote: coincidence that Rhapsody was exclusively handling the Saints single?:wink:), and for the love of love Bono, not every line has to end with a perfect rhyme. Loose rhymes are your friend. Use them. And going beyond that, NOT EVERY LINE OF THE SONG HAS TO RHYME. What a concept! But I digress..

I'm not hating on the song as a whole, as I think it has a pretty nice melody and arrangement, but eek. Those lyrics just really hamper my enjoyment of the song, and I didn't even mind the "Elevation" lyrics that much. :wink:

Last edited:
I think wits and saints are better produced than any song from ATYCLB or HTDAAB, so I want Rubin to produce the next album. I think the two latest albums are over-produced, and Rubin should be able to stop that from happen again. And maybe the album would be done in less than two years:)

doctorwho said:

Careful...

I've said this before, but it bears repeating.

Bono has taken a very personal approach to lyrics these days. As such, the lyrics don't have as much universal appeal as they once did and consequently fans can't relate as well. In turn, fans interpret this as "weaker lyrics".

I object, quite a bit. "With or Without You" has some of the weakest lyrics ever. "Ultraviolet" has enough "babies" in it to start an orphanage. And thanks Bono, but I'm not chewing any bubblegum while at the disco. Want me to go on for more "weaker" lryics from the past?

IMO, Bono's lryics are just as good now, but they aren't as universal. Not every song is a "One" in how it can be interpreted. Also, it's nice to see Bono have some fun with lyrics, like in "Elevation". The result was a rocking song that is fantastic in concert. Sometimes U2 came across as too serious and songs like that really heighten and lighten the mood. Plus, it's a song about finding God - how much better can that get? :)

With or Without You has weak lyrics????? You are INSANE!!!!!

U2Man said:
I hope Lanois will join the crew this time around, too.

:no: I can't stand Lanois' production style. He ruined UF and AB for me. :madspit:

I can't tell the difference between Windows and anything on HTDAAB, production-wise. :huh:

LemonMelon said:

:no: I can't stand Lanois' production style. He ruined UF and AB for me. :madspit:

So you don't like 'Running to Stand Still', then?! (That song is about 70% Lanois in sound -- all "scrape" guitar.) What about his production -- specifically -- do you not like? What specific parts of UF and AB were ruined by Lanois? I'm interested to know, since I've never seen a breakdown on which instrumentals in AB were produced Eno, and which ones were Lanois.

The Slow Loris said:

So you don't like 'Running to Stand Still', then?! (That song is about 70% Lanois in sound -- all "scrape" guitar.) What about his production -- specifically -- do you not like? What specific parts of UF and AB were ruined by Lanois? I'm interested to know, since I've never seen a breakdown on which instrumentals in AB were produced Eno, and which ones were Lanois.

No, no. Remember, I said he ruined UF and AB for me. His overly-muddy, almost impossible to hear what's going on style actually fits the dirty, bluesy sound of JT's second side. :drool: Also, I can't say dislike Eno's style because he did a wonderful job on Zooropa and Passengers (possibly the best produced "U2" album :der: )

It's hard to describe it. I like a raw, strightforward sound. Eno/Lanois had a nasty habit of using production as an instrument, and that can ruin the songs to where it becomes difficult to enjoy it as intended.

Zooropa sounds clean to me, as does HTDAAB. I love Lillywhite's work because he always provided this clean sound I love, plus he cranked up the bass, something Eno/Lanois would never do. :|

Headache in a Suitcase said:
even if they come back in late 2007/early 2008 with a great, great album, i highly doubt anything they can do could top achtung baby or the joshua tree... and even if it does, it would be just one album as opposed to the multiple albums done by eno and lanois.

Ok, not giving up hope, but if they could come up with something to top JT and AB I think I would just...I don't know die? Haha

Back
Top Bottom