No recording sessions until November!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
Rolling Stone posted a short interview with Danel Lanois. More of the same, but there is something new:

“We’ve been invited as writers this time,” he says. “I did three writing sessions with Eno and U2 — one in Fez, Morocco; two in France. It’s going great. We’re regrouping in November.”

So they're not doing anything at this moment....they're gonna start again in NOVEMBER! Very disappointing...

New album in November 2009?!

BANZAI said:
So they're not doing anything at this moment....they're gonna start again in NOVEMBER! Very disappointing...

Says who? Lanois only states that he and Eno will have another writing session with U2 in November. Until that time, the band might write on their own. That's a possibility.

:)

why 2009?

I think it's all normal

after the fez sessions (and the sumemr holiday) the plans were to regrouping in the autumn at fall of the year (october/november)

for me it's all normal for an album for the fall of 2008

the regrouping in november it's not the first session, but the 4th
it seems like they have done a lot of work in the past sessions especialy in Fez......
so in November they can restart from a good point

Re: Re: No recording sessions until November!

Popmartijn said:

Says who? Lanois only states that he and Eno will have another writing session with U2 in November. Until that time, the band might write on their own. That's a possibility.

Hmm, hopefully you're right....I'm being a bit too pessimistic

I dont know what the general consensus is here but it seems like interference was more excited in 2003/2004 than the current situation. And to be honest, im kinda meh about this whole thing even though i know i should be pumped about these sessions. I want to be excited but Im just so skeptical this time around. Is everyone here psyched or hesitant to allow themselves to get psyched only to be let down when the adult contemporary 12th album finally releases? I mean, its all adding up to be one hell of a departure but they burned us with bomb and im too pessimistic this time for the hype.

I'm psyched, but there's essentially been the same news for weeks now. And the new news we get is so similar to all the previous bits, that there's not much more to post about.

What lessens the excitement is the whole rigid, corporate-mindedness of the whole thing. Sure, they're experimenting in Fez and all that, but McGuinne$$ says it has to come out in the fall, and that's all there is to it. You're never again going to experience the joy of a Zooropa, which wasn't known about until what, a month before it came out? 4 months between recording and release? There's no point in even dreaming of some kind of early surprise, because it ain't happening.

You get the sense they are following a pre-determined schedule instead of making the music when they want to, and instead of releasing it when it's ready, when marketing research says it is. Pop didn't perform (relatively) poorly because it came out in the spring, it was because (a) people weren't ready for it, and (b) they didn't pick the right singles. Zooropa, which still managed to go multi-platinum, didn't approach Achtung's sales because it was fucking OUT THERE, and they didn't tour it in the U.S., not because it came out in the summer.

What the fuck do these guys have to prove? The bravest thing they could do isn't make Punk Rock from Venus, it's putting something out when it's done and not waiting for Mr. Moneybags to say when.

Not to get off topic, but I briefly want to say I agree with the fact that Pop didn't have the right singles released with it.

Now what singles, or the order is a good question, I haven't thought about that, but I do know there could have been better selections.

......end off-topic post.........

lazarus said:
What lessens the excitement is the whole rigid, corporate-mindedness of the whole thing. Sure, they're experimenting in Fez and all that, but McGuinne$$ says it has to come out in the fall, and that's all there is to it. You're never again going to experience the joy of a Zooropa, which wasn't known about until what, a month before it came out? 4 months between recording and release? There's no point in even dreaming of some kind of early surprise, because it ain't happening.

You get the sense they are following a pre-determined schedule instead of making the music when they want to, and instead of releasing it when it's ready, when marketing research says it is. Pop didn't perform (relatively) poorly because it came out in the spring, it was because (a) people weren't ready for it, and (b) they didn't pick the right singles. Zooropa, which still managed to go multi-platinum, didn't approach Achtung's sales because it was fucking OUT THERE, and they didn't tour it in the U.S., not because it came out in the summer.

What the fuck do these guys have to prove? The bravest thing they could do isn't make Punk Rock from Venus, it's putting something out when it's done and not waiting for Mr. Moneybags to say when.

I have to agree. Plus, would it be possible to tour/release a record without predetermining the fucking color scheme of the thing? Just release it and then tour. Ta-da.

guys november is only a few months away

I'd bet my soul that we'll have an album by the end of 2008 unless something drastic happens

I love the way Bruce Springsteen puts out albums and announces tours. A month ago the new album was announced for this October and this week the tour was announced for October-November. Of course, it's easier for Bruce because he writes songs on his own, but still...

I think some of you are hanging too much on Lanois' lips. Just because he says he'll meet up with the band in November, doesn't mean there is no work being done in the meantime. I think they are working.

I'm neither "psyched" about the whole thing nor sceptical, I've decided to just wait and see (or better: hear).

Unless many people here, I don't even like getting too much information about how the work is going, which direction the album will be and so on, because I am a little superstitious about these things and believe they shouldn't give too much away while it is still work in progress. Talking too much and in too many details about the work you are currently doing is never a good thing. It's better to concentrate on the work itself than on keeping other people informed and trying to make them "happy".

Shock horror, U2 plans their touring and album schedule. Whether you like it or not, things have changed in that department once they got BIG in 1987. And I'm sure the band has a major problem with releasing the album in the best time of the year for sales, tsk tsk McGuiness bullying them into it (I guess he's been at it for years, what with most of U2's albums being released in the Fall).

It shows when they hurry and rush a record just for the sake of it (Rattle and Hum, Zooropa, and we shall not speak of that 1995 incident) Pop was hurt by the weakness of the actual album, not the singles. (though they shold skip If god will send.. and Last night... and release Gone instead)

That said, :down: to this. How much more time do they need for this album ?

lazarus said:

I agree 100%. It's incredibly annoying.

Well, the whole "maybe they'll be daring and release an album in the first half of 2008" theory can now be pronounced dead and buried.

U2 are so fucking formulaic now. How can you get excited? We all know how this script goes. I can just about predict the next tour too. The hits, the One speech, Wow x3, two US legs and one European ...

Please, U2, prove me wrong. At least release your lead single and album early enough that they qualify for the same Grammy's ceremony. It's pathetic that even that would be a radical shift.

Re: Re: No recording sessions until November!

Popmartijn said:

Hopefully, or maybe work on some material with Rubin.

I do agree with a lot of what's being said, but at the same time I try not to worry about it.

I'm excited they're recording, and planning to do so again. I'm not thrilled with the business aspect.

Problem is, none of us really knew if it was like this back in the day without the internet. We have so much information now it's not even funny. We know where Bono is at, talking poliltics, or hanging out on the beach with family.

I to wish U2 would just release an album whenever, instead of waiting til september to release the single, then late October/November for the album.

As for the tour, I'd be perfectly happy if it truely was just 4 guys on stage playing music, cause then they wouldn't have to match the album cover with the stage (like Martha said)

Eno doesn't want to be stuck with them in the studios, it can go very quick and be completed in February/March.
You can't say that U2 was predictible this year, nobody expected these Fez sessions with Lanois/Eno, nobody expected that U2 still had the desire to make a challenging album.
Who knows if the next album is not going to be released in May/June ?

Also people, don't forget U2 is kinda working on TWO different albums... The one with Eno/Lanois that's coming out of the Morrocco sessions and the one they started with Rubin that they call "the bones of an album." The interviews definitely made it sound like they view them as completely seperate!

So maybe we will actually get 2 more albums from them before the decade is done yet!

:yawn: This thread is a microcosm of everything that's wrong with interference.

"No recording sessions within the next two months????!?!?!??! 2009 must be the date then! Logic FTW!"

"U2 should just tour with Celine Dion and Take That, because their music is all basically the same."

"(insert semi-humorous MS Paint-edited picture that was already used in a previous thread)"

"Rubin is washed up. Pitchfork said so! Without Eno and Lanois, U2 are nothing."

"If the next album sounds like HTDAAB, I'll jump off a bridge, because I have absolutely no life outside of a band from Ireland and I enjoy exaggerating."

Etc....

lazarus said:

Definitely, but U2's as much as a money-making machine as they are a rock band nowadays, it's just the way of things.

BANZAI said:
I love the way Bruce Springsteen puts out albums and announces tours. A month ago the new album was announced for this October and this week the tour was announced for October-November. Of course, it's easier for Bruce because he writes songs on his own, but still...

Yep. Of course, he doesn't tour with a television network and giant lemons. But he doesn't need them either.

Oranges and apples, I guess. But I do wish U2 could do things a little more spontaneously - ala the Boss these days...

Mirrorballman83 said:
why 2009?

I think it's all normal

after the fez sessions (and the sumemr holiday) the plans were to regrouping in the autumn at fall of the year (october/november)

for me it's all normal for an album for the fall of 2008

the regrouping in november it's not the first session, but the 4th
it seems like they have done a lot of work in the past sessions especialy in Fez......
so in November they can restart from a good point

You're right. There's plenty to work on. I think we'd be more worried if Lanois turned round and said, they were finished the sessions, since there was no chance of getting an album this year, so more time together in November means things appear to be going well and they all appear to want to keep them going that way.

Sounds good to me.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Definitely, but U2's as much as a money-making machine as they are a rock band nowadays, it's just the way of things.

they've been a money-making machine since 1987.

Back
Top Bottom