No Line On The Horizon (Alternate Tracklist)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, this tracklist I've been testing is much better than the one I previously posted, especially now with the extended intro on GOYB:

1. Get On Your Boots (Extended Intro)
2. Stand Up Comedy
3. White As Snow
4. Unknown Caller
5. Magnificent
6. Moment Of Surrender
7. Breathe
8. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
9. Fez - Being Born
10. No Line On The Horizon
11. Cedars Of Lebanon

2. Stand Up Comedy
3. Magnificent (the ending of SUC and the intro to Mag work perfectly)
4. Moment of Surrender
5. Fez-Being Born
6. NLOTH2 (perfer a hybrid of 1 and 2, but I prefer 2. the transition from Fez to NOLTH2 would blend in)
7. Crazy Tonight
8. White As Snow
9. Breathe
10. Cedars
11. Unknown Caller

I just listened to this one:

1.No Line On The Horizon
2.Breathe
3.Unknown Caller
4.Moment Of Surrender
5.Fez-Being Born
6.Magnificent
7.Stand Up Comedy
8.Get On Your Boots
9.I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
10.White As Snow
11.Cedars Of Lebanon

NLOTH-Breathe and Fez-Being Born-Magnificent work really well.

Although I kind of miss Breathe later on. It works so well following NLOTH, but it also would work between IGCIIDGCT and White As Snow or in its original place between White As Snow and Cedars Of Lebanon, to give the record an extra umph at the end. But if I move Breath there, then I feel like there isn't enough umph at the beginning of the record.

I haven't tried anything drastic but I definitely think they should have used the longer version of GOYB. the transition from Crazy to Boots is the only jarring one on the album; the long intro would fix this. I also think a more finished Winter would have worked on the album (hopefully we'll see it on Songs of Ascent, sans butter on toast and bullets in guns). I put it after Breathe and I think it works well there. It's a good penultimate track. It'd be a good closer too, but I feel like Cedars can't go anywhere but the end.

^ good jb vox16... UC is a great closer... and the transition from Cedars is ood too... just needs 10-15 seconds of silence in between

I'm happy with most of the running order, but I ALWAYS skip GOYB, and though I like Stand Up Comedy, I don't think it fits anywhere, so:

1. Unknown Caller
2. Breathe
3. Winter
4. White as Snow
5. No Line on the Horizon part 1
6. Fez -Being Born
7. Magnificent
8. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
9. Moment of Surrender
10. Cedars of Lebanon
11. No Line on the Horizon pt.2 (Punk)

I haven't tried anything drastic but I definitely think they should have used the longer version of GOYB. the transition from Crazy to Boots is the only jarring one on the album; the long intro would fix this. I also think a more finished Winter would have worked on the album (hopefully we'll see it on Songs of Ascent, sans butter on toast and bullets in guns). I put it after Breathe and I think it works well there. It's a good penultimate track. It'd be a good closer too, but I feel like Cedars can't go anywhere but the end.

:up:

Here's my 2 cents...

Fez (just FEZ, not FEZ-Being Born)
GOYB (long intro) - works great with FEZ
SUC
Magnificent (beginning starts right up where SUC left off)
Crazy
Winter
MOS
WAS
COL
Breathe
Being Born
NLOTH
UC

Kinda different. Mixes things up a bit.:up:

I posted this elsewhere. I think if you use Brian Eno and Harold Budd's "against the sky" as the opening track, it seems to flow real well. Especially if you have the album on continuous play. I know it is not U2 opening but sure sounds right. My track list would be:
1. Against the Sky
2. No Line On the Horizon
3. Magnificent
4. Moment of Surrender
5. Unkown Caller
6. Get On your Boots
7. FEZ - Being Born
8. Winter
9. White As Snow
10. Breath
11 Cedars Of Lebanon

I dont think Crazy and Stand up fit on this playlist

I love the original tracklisting too much to mess with it. The band nailed it. But I've inserted Winter right before White As Snow, which works well thematically / lyrically (winter... snow... get it?) as well as musically, coming right after Fez/BB.

Today I had a day off so I started listening to the cd in depth. At the same time I was blown away by the precious song that is Winter. This made me think about reshuffling the tracklist of the album. The goal was to make it an album which sounds like a unity. Because right now, I think the album has two kinds of tracks: the ones that sound like they belong to each other. And the ones which don't seem to relate to the others (boots, comedy, crazy). Therefore I cut away the last ones and came up with the following tracklist:

01 No Line
02 Magnificent
03 Winter
04 White as Snow
05 Fez
(6 Mercy)
07 Breathe
08 Unknown Caller
09 Moment of surrender
10 Cedars

Mercy fits in terms of style and theme (lyrics), therefore i positioned it right behind Fez.

I especially like the flow from Magnificent to Winter...

Today I had a day off so I started listening to the cd in depth. At the same time I was blown away by the precious song that is Winter. This made me think about reshuffling the tracklist of the album. The goal was to make it an album which sounds like a unity. Because right now, I think the album has two kinds of tracks: the ones that sound like they belong to each other. And the ones which don't seem to relate to the others (boots, comedy, crazy). Therefore I cut away the last ones and came up with the following tracklist:

1 No Line
2 Magnificent
3 Winter
4 White as Snow
5 Fez
(6 Mercy)
7 Breathe
8 Unknown Caller
9 Cedars

a little over 47 minutes...

Mercy fits in terms of style and theme (lyrics), therefore i positioned it right behind Fez.

I especially like the flow from Magnificent to Winter...

where's Moment Of Surrender? :D

otherwise, i like your thinking. :up:

here's a new one i'm listening to. now that we have the studio version GOYB with the extended live intro, i think it works very well as the opener:

2. Stand Up Comedy
3. Magnificent
4. Moment Of Surrender
5. Unknown Caller
6. I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight
7. No Line On The Horizon
8. Fez – Being Born
9. Winter
10. White As Snow
11. Breathe
12. Cedars Of Lebanon

Where did you get the Studio Extended Version of GOYB??

ReneXavier@mac.com

Try this order:

1 . No Line On The Horizon
2 . Magnificent
3 . Moment Of Surrender
4 . Winter
5 . Stand Up Comedy
6 . I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
7 . Get On Your Boots
8 . Breathe
9 . White As Snow
10. Fez-Being Born
11. Unknown Caller
12. Cedars Of Lebanon

It really sounds right...

Try this order:

1 . No Line On The Horizon
2 . Magnificent
3 . Moment Of Surrender
4 . Winter
5 . Stand Up Comedy
6 . I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
7 . Get On Your Boots
8 . Breathe
9 . White As Snow
10. Fez-Being Born
11. Unknown Caller
12. Cedars Of Lebanon

It really sounds right...

ooh. i'll try that tonight. that does look interesting. :)

Alternate Tracklist

1. No Line
2. Magnificent
3. Moment of Surrender
4. Breathe
5. Stand Up
6. White as Snow
7. Crazy Tonight
8. Unknown Caller
9. Fez
10. Lebanon

Hidden track - Boots

I was hesitant about trying an alternative order, but the Sea Sky option noted works very well and really adds to the music and feel of the songs.

What would be really cool, IMO, a press release like the following:

"U2 acknowledges interesting tracklistings - and says fans should use BlackBerry, iTunes and MP3 players to improve NLOTH"

"Edge, U2's lead guatarist and noted technology savvy member suggested that fans use BlackBerry Music, MP3 players and iTunes to try out improvements to NLOTH tracklisting. Edge stated, "we were in a bit of a hurry at the end and mixed like 7 songs and 2 vocals during the last 48 hours of this record. While we still like the order in which we present the record, and always will; a few fans have really improved the order. This is a wonderful use of technology and we'd encourage fans to try it. My personal favorite is one floating around the Internet called Sea and Sky"

Probably never happen, but could you imagine the publicity?

I just came up with an incredible playlist (in my opinion)

I love SUC, but I replaced it with TGBHF and the album just was brought to a whole other level... I really think that TGBHF belongs on the album more than SUC so I played around and lied on my bed and closed my eyes and was transported to another world.

I would listen to the album this way and tell me what you think- its hard to go back after you hear it like this:

No Line on the horizon
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
Unknown Caller
The Ground Beneath her Feet
Get on your boots (Extended intro)
Ill go crazy if i....
Fez-Being Born
White as snow
Breathe
Cedars of Lebanon

all i have to say is try it :drool:

MY VERSION:

1) NLOTH
2) Magnificent
3) MOS
4) UC
5) *something that we haven't heard that would be a great link to the next track
6) GOYB
7) same as #5, something we could link to next
8) FEZ-BB
9) WAS
10) An Eno production on Breathe, a drearier sound with the Beach clip ending vocals
11) COL

Side A:
1. No Line on the Horizon
2. Magnificent
3. Moment of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. Stand Up (changed the title)
6. Crazy Tonight (also changed the title)
Side B:
1. Get On Your Boots
2. Fez -- Being Born
3. Winter (in my imagination Bono doesn't say "butter on toast")
4. White As Snow
5. Breathe
6. Cedars of Lebanon
7. No Line on the Horizon 2

Sea:

01. No Line On The Horizon II
02. Breathe
03. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
04. Stand Up Comedy
05. Get On Your Boots
06. Fez-Being Born

Sky:

01. No Line On The Horizon I
02. Magnificent
03. Moment Of Surrender
04. Unknown Caller
05. White As Snow
06. Cedars Of Lebanon

In view that at this point just anything is being included and excluded I kick out Crazy, have Eno/Lanois rework Breathe and definitely want on my own NLOTH a 2009 version of Salome. :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom