No definitedate on the horizon for U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonoFox1

Blue Crack Supplier
Earth to Blue Crack to Planet Fierce and back agai
No definitedate on the horizon for U2 album

Friday, November 21, 2008

A year or so ago, On The Record predicted that one of the landmark releases of 2008 would be an U2 album. Not for the first time, On The Record was wrong.

2008, though, was still a year with many U2 headlines. First, there was the hefty revamp and reissue of the band's back-catalogue, albeit with poor sales for the lavishly-packaged CDs.

Then, there was that yarn about leaked recordings which surfaces every time there is a new album in the offing. This time, a fan was said to have taped new songs which Bono was blasting out from his house in France.

And finally, there are the ever-present rumours about live shows. The current ones include the story that U2 will do a secret show to launch the 02 venue in Dublin and talk of another three-night stand at Croke Park next summer.

Recording sessions for the album, which will kick-start all this activity, though, are still ongoing.

When Daniel Lanois was interviewed by The Ticket in May of this year, the producer said that recording for the album, which is believed to have a working title of No Line On The Horizon , still had a long way to go at that stage.

Talking this week to the Boston Herald , Lanois indicated that recording was still ongoing and that the new album would surprise fans. "The tracks are wildly innovative. I would never have thought things would have gone this way. I believe rock'n'roll has been reinvented one more time."

U2 could still take a leaf out of Radiohead and Bloc Party's book and rush-release the album before Christmas. However, it is far more likely that the album will be given an old-fashioned, all-bells-and- whistles release early in 2009.

That will be followed by a lengthy tour, which should allow their new partners at Live Nation to start recouping some of the huge advance given to the band earlier this year.

Jim Carroll on music

this article doesn't tell much at all. looks like February or March is the month. we may hear the first single by Xmas.

Another possibility is a single right after new year, release a month later, then do tour announcement and promos through FEB/MAR with a tour start date in late-March, early-mid April. Considering they want to start in the US, and considering it is stadiums (outdoors and cooperative weather) the band is after, that seems a logical time frame.

who says the band are doing stadiums in the US next tour? This at best are rumors and talk that's it. I tend to agree with your time frame but where they will play in the US I think will be arenas this is where they have been pretty successful in terms of selling out and the whole intimacy feel that they seem to gravitate towards. I honestly don't see them venturing back to stadiums in the US. :shrug:

I wish Jim Carroll actually did say the album was coming out

if he said it was out on a specific date I'd actually believe him, the guy is rarely wrong

who says the band are doing stadiums in the US next tour? This at best are rumors and talk that's it. I tend to agree with your time frame but where they will play in the US I think will be arenas this is where they have been pretty successful in terms of selling out and the whole intimacy feel that they seem to gravitate towards. I honestly don't see them venturing back to stadiums in the US. :shrug:

I'm starting to hope for arenas, too... stadiums aren't really feasible in the U.S., where the market is extremely different in each city you visit. Arenas scale well... they can play eight shows at MSG, or one show in Hamilton, ON, to a total of 15,000 or 150,000 people. I'm not sure I want my first show to be in the chaos of a stadium, either, although I'm sure I'd love it (and, IMO, U2 stadium gigs tend to better than arena gigs) once the show started.

Also, there's no way they'd play at Royal Memorial Stadium in Austin, where I live (80,000-seater stadium in a comparatively small market)... in fact, we'd be lucky to even get one show in Texas (probably at the Astrodome) in a stadium tour. I don't want to have to deal with the possibility of not seeing any shows at all (I can probably only see one as-is) this tour because there was only one show in the state and I couldn't make it.

This is absolutely BS! :mad: I'm tired of having absolutely no answers about the new album. GIVE US SOMETHING other than b.s. comments like 'the music is wildly innovative'!

Did you read the latest Edge interviews before starting to rant?

You want answers? The answer will be the album when it is released.

This is absolutely BS! :mad: I'm tired of having absolutely no answers about the new album. GIVE US SOMETHING other than b.s. comments like 'the music is wildly innovative'!

Hey man, I feel your frustration...I'm there too, but you can't deny the fact that we are finally starting to get more info recently then in the last 3-4 months. I think as the coming weeks pass we'll be privy to more info.

Until then, lets pretend we're in a hospital and be patient.....yuck yuck!! :applaud:

We are starting to get more information than in the past, but still. February seems great, but then again we were told a fall 2008 release and then that blew up in our faces. I'm not getting my hopes up.

We are starting to get more information than in the past, but still. February seems great, but then again we were told a fall 2008 release and then that blew up in our faces. I'm not getting my hopes up.

I don't get why people bother reading this section of the forum if all they want is confirmed stuff, seriously if the album has a official release date then it will be all over the net within seconds.

If you're not willing to read rumours that have a 90% chance of being untrue then reading this forum is a little pointless

Talking this week to the Boston Herald , Lanois indicated that recording was still ongoing and that the new album would surprise fans. "The tracks are wildly innovative. I would never have thought things would have gone this way. I believe rock'n'roll has been reinvented one more time."

I really doubt the words which seem to be heard about last album.But I really look forward to listen the NEW album as soon as possible!

Back
Top Bottom