NME: "U2's new album written"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really? I don't see that from what Lanois has to say

"We've been invited as writers this time. I did three writing sessions with (Brian) Eno and U2- one in Fez Morocco; two in France...the record's kind of making itself."

U2girl said:
Really? I don't see that from what Lanois has to say

Me neither. :slant: If it has indeed been written (which is very possible), the tough part comes next; polishing and re-polishing the material. :wink:

call me crazy, but if it's as far along as NME seems to think, a spring/summer release might not be completely out of the question.

Irvine511 said:
call me crazy, but if it's as far along as NME seems to think, a spring/summer release might not be completely out of the question.

You forget who their manager is. $$$$

It doesn't matter if they finish the record on January 1st of 2008, it won't be released until October/November.

Seems like sensationalism. They take a quote from Lanois indicating that a lot of writing has been done, and jump to "THE ALBUM HAS BEEN WRITTEN" for the easy headline.

The_acrobat said:

It doesn't matter if they finish the record on January 1st of 2008, it won't be released until October/November.

:rolleyes:

It's not completely McGuinness peeps...the record label has some say...and to be honest the band hasn't recorded anything down to tape...er...digitally have they, for sure? :hmm:

My guess is it is Fall 2008, not entirely McGuinness's fault either. I think they need to pare down the songs and perfect them, like they always do...:sigh:

Only to release superior single mixes after the tour starts.

One day, I hope they do the somewhat common "tour it then record it" route.

Irvine511 said:

:shrug: It could leak then, but come on...this is McGuinness we're talking about...

Irvine511 said:

I don't think that's going to happen. Not to further criticize Paul McG, but I read a quote from him in which he said something to the effect that it doesn't make sense financially to release an album at any other time than the fourth quarter (Fall/Christmas). Unless the music industry makes a major change for the better, I think it's fairly safe to assume that all U2 albums from henceforth will be released in the fall in order to compete successfully.

But I wouldn't mind being wrong about this!

people... this is the nme we're talking about here.

the N. M. E.

i wouldn't hold my breath on anything they have to say.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Only to release superior single mixes after the tour starts.

One day, I hope they do the somewhat common "tour it then record it" route.

Yeah, if "tour it then record it" would work well for any band, it would be U2. Almost every song in their entire discography would have benefited from that treatment.

The article isn't very clear beyond the title, it may be written but not recorded, but after reading the article I still get the impression that it's a work in progress.

Axver said:

Yeah, if "tour it then record it" would work well for any band, it would be U2. Almost every song in their entire discography would have benefited from that treatment.

It would work artistically but in these days of instant worldwide bootlegging it would be a financial disaster. The bootlegs hit the internet before the band has even left the venue so recording songs after they've been played live is pretty useless.

Dana

rihannsu said:

It would work artistically but in these days of instant worldwide bootlegging it would be a financial disaster. The bootlegs hit the internet before the band has even left the venue so recording songs after they've been played live is pretty useless.

Dana

I disagree

playing them live before they record them would only help the songs

it helps them work on the songs...so before they record them..they'll know what works and what doesn't..:shrug:

I think HTDAAB would have benefited
from this treatment

this worked wonders for Pink Floyd
...:wink:

rihannsu said:

Dana

Tell that to Radiohead when LP7 becomes a smash hit.

rihannsu said:

Dana

We can give this theory a test with Radiohead's upcoming album. What with their tour a year or so ago, and their upcoming album, you're predicting it's going to be a major flop?

LemonMelon said:

Tell that to Radiohead when LP7 becomes a smash hit.

:( 2008

I'm telling you touring songs before they record them will only make for a better album:grumpy:

it worked for OK Computer you know :wink:

Maybe it would be a cool thing if U2 cared more about an album's quality than how many more millions of dollars they can add to their vault.

U2 used to write on the road (quite frequently up through War, and to a lessor extent up to Zooropa, no?), but I doubt they do much more besides noodling a bit at soundchecks now if they have a bit of inspiration.

The U2 of the 2000s is much more about the after show eats and champagne I think, especially Bono :wink:

The_acrobat said:

Why fault the man for doing his job, and doing it well?

I bet if you were in a band you sure as hell would want your manager to maximise your profits.

He's looked out for them well, and I strongly suspect if he had been an incompetent or larcenous manager they would have hung it up years (perhaps decades) ago and no one would have to worry about when their upcoming album would be released.

:shrug:

Canadiens1160 said:
U2 used to write on the road (quite frequently up through War, and to a lessor extent up to Zooropa, no?), but I doubt they do much more besides noodling a bit at soundchecks now if they have a bit of inspiration.

The U2 of the 2000s is much more about the after show eats and champagne I think, especially Bono :wink:

actually this is 100% false. they do a lot of writing on tour. :shh:

0597_170231_U26.JPG

apparently larry is a fat mofo now too

Back
Top Bottom