NLOTH song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ltcf

The Fly
Upon hearing NLOTH album the first time seven months ago or so, I absolutely LOVED the song NLOTH. Seven months later it is still my favorite song on the album...by far. Why is it not catching on in popularity?

Also, Breathe is the worst song on the album...by far. It's awful. And I hated GOYB at first but I've since come to kind of like it, but it's still no better than 5th or 6th best on the album.

Is my judgment that bad?

NLOTH hasn't been released as a single so it's not easy for it to become popular with the general public. It's pretty popular among U2 fans though.

Well, it's a decent song, even if it is just recycled bathwater to Achtung's Baby, but, "popularity" is elusive. It won't become "popular" unless people hear it, and without radio play, it won't be heard (outside of concert venues).

U2 didn't think enough of it to play it on SNL.

even if it is just recycled bathwater to Achtung's Baby

ohsnap-1.jpg

there's not a song on NLOTH that i don't like, though i do prefer the Crazy Tonight remixes (Kick The Darkness and Fish Out Of The Water) over the album version.

Well, it's a decent song, even if it is just recycled bathwater to Achtung's Baby, but, "popularity" is elusive. It won't become "popular" unless people hear it, and without radio play, it won't be heard (outside of concert venues).

U2 didn't think enough of it to play it on SNL.

That's kind of where I was going with that. They've favored at least five songs (GOYB, GGCIIDCT, Breathe, Magnificent, MOS) over NLOTH since they've started promoting the album and doing live performances. On the tour, they sing it like it's an afterthought. Will it ever be released as a single? At this point and with the success of the other single releases, I wonder if they'll release anything more.

there's not a song on NLOTH that i don't like, though i do prefer the Crazy Tonight remixes (Kick The Darkness and Fish Out Of The Water) over the album version.

I don't like SUC and I'm not a fan of Unknown Caller either really but I still think it's a good album. I'm not a big fan of WGRYWH but Achtung Baby is still my favourite album of all time.

On the tour, they sing it like it's an afterthought.

What?! :shocked: I love this song live, and it's come a long way, the performance from the Rose Bowl was awesome especially when they nailed that pause...:drool:

Get On Your Boots? You like that? Really?

Look at his avatar, of course he's drinking the Kool Aid. I thought you knew who all the Kool Aid drinkers were?

Breathe and NLOTH are my first and third favorites, respectively. :shrug: Should anyone care? I certainly hope not.

Look at his avatar, of course he's drinking the Kool Aid. I thought you knew who all the Kool Aid drinkers were?

Perhaps I need to clear something up. A "Kool Aid drinker" is not merely a fan, and not merely a fanatic. Plenty of us fall into that category (regardless of the number of comments we've made here at Interference). No, you might be a Kool Aid drinker if:

1) you are the type of fan who has lost his/her objectivity to the point of being incapable of critical thinking about (or criticism of) the band's artistic output.

2) you are the type of fan who takes personal offense to any such criticism about the band's artistic output.

3) you are the type of fan who feels compelled to justify and defend the band's every move and every position, whether it be ticket prices, set lists, album production values, political views, award acceptance speeches, onstage wardrobe, songwriting ability... in a word, everything.

Perhaps I need to clear something up. A "Kool Aid drinker" is not merely a fan, and not merely a fanatic. Plenty of us fall into that category (regardless of the number of comments we've made here at Interference). No, you might be a Kool Aid drinker if:

1) you are the type of fan who has lost his/her objectivity to the point of being incapable of critical thinking about (or criticism of) the band's artistic output.

2) you are the type of fan who takes personal offense to any such criticism about the band's artistic output.

3) you are the type of fan who feels compelled to justify and defend the band's every move and every position, whether it be ticket prices, set lists, album production values, political views, award acceptance speeches, onstage wardrobe, songwriting ability... in a word, everything.

But I did none of this yet you called me one :huh:

Face it, you got pissy and made a childish personal attack.

you're nice! :)

But I did none of this yet you called me one :huh:

Face it, you got pissy and made a childish personal attack.

Then I apologize, and I am sincere about that. No excuses for personal attacks. It's easy to be flippant and sarcastic when one is faceless and virtually anonymous. But that is no excuse.

Sincere apologies from one longtime U2 fan to another.

And here's to a better album from Songs of Ascent than we got from NLOTH....

Just wanted to say that NLOTH the song is one of the best ones off the album. That middle 8 is so cathartic, the whole "try to rewiiiiiiind" part.

I don't think this would've worked as a single. The horrid Bow Wow Wow alternate take might have made some waves, but i'm pleased as punch they went with the album version. It's rocking and it's atmospheric. Good stuff.

Singles they should've released:
Lead off- Magnificent
Follow up - MOS
3rd Single - Can't really say considering I'm not crazy about CT or GOYB or Breathe.
If in an alternate universe White As Snow could make it as a single, that would be heaven.

I agree with this singles-release strategy. I just add that NLOTH (song) could've worked if there were 2 simultaneous (or almost) first singles, one more internet/download/ad's oriented, another more radio/music video oriented. This strategy for first single(s) seems to be working with other artists.

Back
Top Bottom