NLOTH Mastering? / Clipping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dopper

The Fly
After hearing Boots, I'm afraid we're in for the same loud, compressed and distorted sound we heard on HTDAAB. Perhaps we should prepare a petition like the Metallica fans did for their latest album.

Boots is not mastered well at all. This seems to be a problem with some albums lately. The last Depeche Mode album was mastered terribly. I can think of one track in particular that was mastered much too loud.

Beats the shit out of Vertigo. Play them back-to-back, and Boots is far more dynamic and, frankly, quieter.

Well I hear the same kind kind of clipping and distortion as found in Metallica's Death Magnetic, just not as bad. But still, it is a shame that after hearing all the backlash that Metallica received for releasing Death Magnetic like that, still record labels and band are turning the volume way up with their albums. In Metallica's case it was really shame, since Death Magnetic's content was the best songs they had released in almost 20 years. Hopefully, the same thing doesn't happen to U2.

I think it's especially unfortunate with U2 since they spend so much time adding layers of guitars and programming, and they all just ending up blending into one big mess.

Just opened Boots and Vertigo in WavePad Sound Editor, Vertigo is noticeably louder and less dynamic than Boots; pretty much a solid black mass across the spectrum. Boots has a noticeable variation in frequency levels and is mastered a little quieter.

Just opened Boots and Vertigo in WavePad Sound Editor, Vertigo is noticeably louder and less dynamic than Boots; pretty much a solid black mass across the spectrum. Boots has a noticeable variation in frequency levels and is mastered a little quieter.

Thank you. I didn't want to have to find the waveform myself.

untitled.jpg

Vertigo is much worse than boots

None of Daniel Lanois' albums are poorly mastered, and Brian Eno's last album was also mastered well. You probably can't call either of those a "major label release", but still.

I wouldn't be too worried yet. I'm surprised most bands don't do a jacked master for radio especially for the first single, I've seen some talk on some forums that that's the way they are heading. A LOUD master for the radio/single and a normal master for the album.

I listened to "Boots" on my iPod just a little bit ago and it sounded fine. "Vertigo" is usually the one that I turn the volume down on a little.

I thought the mastering of the 1990-2000 best of was the best from U2. When you hear One on that compared to One on Achtung Baby there is no contest - it was like breathing fresh air. But in regards to Boots their master of that definitely thrashes Vertigo or anything from their last two albums.

there is virtually no clipping on GOYB. Sure its loud, but as stated previously, that is very symptomatic of modern radio releases. Even if it seems too loud now, it is a huge step away from Vertigo, and will only be quieter on the album

No, I think Chill Mike is right, it's splitting hairs.

Clipping is clipping, if you've mastered it loud enough to clip, then you're losing dynamics that you shouldn't be losing.

So parsing the difference between degrees of clipping, I have no use for that.
Fucking master the thing properly, no clipping at all.
And that's not going to happen with a major label release. They want it loud.

The lower end can be allowed more breathing room (Boots vs Vertigo) but it's still a crappy sound. Most people won't care or notice but this does seem to be an audiophile topic.

I think the production is astounding on Boots, the master might be loud, but no its not bad compared to most modern major releases, and popshopper could be right about a loud radio mix.

Mastering ain't what it used to be --that is just a general, industry-wide problem -- but I insist that Boots does not have the cripplingly bad mastering that Vertigo does. Listened to Vertigo yesterday for the first time in over a year and was again struck by how bad it sounds -- to the point that it really kind of ruins the song. What I hear on Boots, on the other hand, just isn't as extreme. Who knows, maybe the album version will be quieter and more dynamic. But as is, it's already an improvement over the sonically wretched HTDAB tracks.

Back
Top Bottom