Next Album Rumours Thread V - Your Song Ruined My Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If these dorks can put Adam's wang in the AB30 deluxe release, they can give me a vault-clearing, mega-deluxe edition of Pop for its 25th birthday. Tack on some choice Passengers outtakes while they're at it.

Instead, I bet they're going to announce a JT35 VR Dolby Atmos 3D-in-4D-at-Home Experience and then just never release it.

If these dorks can put Adam's wang in the AB30 deluxe release, they can give me a vault-clearing, mega-deluxe edition of Pop for its 25th birthday. Tack on some choice Passengers outtakes while they're at it.

Instead, I bet they're going to announce a JT35 VR Dolby Atmos 3D-in-4D-at-Home Experience and then just never release it.

Abso-fucking-lutely!! I'm sure there is a bonus disc's worth of great, previously unheard shit from 1993-97. I'm sick of U2 being so scared to acknowledge the Pop era, because their egos got hurt when a few stadiums were half empty, and the album sold 8 million instead of 15 million or whatever.

If these dorks can put Adam's wang in the AB30 deluxe release, they can give me a vault-clearing, mega-deluxe edition of Pop for its 25th birthday.

And with another racy cover photo they can call it Big Pop(pa)

pudgy_bono.jpg

Take my money now.

Surely for once, there's a good amount of stuff in the vault for that period given how those albums came about? I bet the Passengers thing generated a lot of material and we all know the trials and tribulations of Pop, not to mention experimentation with loops & drum machines when Larry was injured.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/u2-edge-interview-new-album-1259650/

With this and what Adam talked about, we really don’t know what’s coming next. :). Acoustic arrangements, to me save that for a future vault set, and I’d rather hear about continued work on a new album. ZOO 30th Anniversary Tour would be unbelievable, but that could delay a new album even further so we will see. Hopefully lots of 2022 activity, ZOO tour would be a bonus, and then 2023/2024 new album/new tour is my guess.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/u2-edge-interview-new-album-1259650/

With this and what Adam talked about, we really don’t know what’s coming next. :). Acoustic arrangements, to me save that for a future vault set, and I’d rather hear about continued work on a new album. ZOO 30th Anniversary Tour would be unbelievable, but that could delay a new album even further so we will see. Hopefully lots of 2022 activity, ZOO tour would be a bonus, and then 2023/2024 new album/new tour is my guess.

For us assholes, can someone paste the article in here? Thank you, thank you!!

Also, I'm... wary of a ZooTV 30th tour. Some things just shouldn't be returned to. Why take the greatest tour ever and do a sub-par version of it? Eh. I don't like it. Make music instead please.

Usual vague "lost in the music" quote from Edge. 2023 at the earliest.

At least I think they can be inspired by potentially reinventing themselves again while reflecting on Achtung Baby while throwing new ideas around. Choosing a producer is going to be the most important thing for them (us).

Also, I'm... wary of a ZooTV 30th tour. Some things just shouldn't be returned to. Why take the greatest tour ever and do a sub-par version of it? Eh. I don't like it. Make music instead please.

I really hope they don't do something for Zoo TV - I get celebrating albums, but tours are very much "of a time" with so many things making them unique & special at the time including the age of the performers. I really don't want to see a pastiche of that as the indoor shows in particular were so unique and amazing in terms of the atmosphere, passion, anger... a band at the absolute peak of their live powers. Just let things be.

It'll be cool finding out who they (eventually) go with for producer. That will give a rough sense of the direction they're headed. Plus at that point we'll know the album's more formally underway.

The fact they haven't gone right back to Tedder immediately is quite promising. Fingers crossed they're looking for someone new, and hopefully a fresh new direction away from SoI and SoE.

Who would you guys most like to see as producer for the next album?

It'll be cool finding out who they (eventually) go with for producer. That will give a rough sense of the direction they're headed. Plus at that point we'll know the album's more formally underway.

The fact they haven't gone right back to Tedder immediately is quite promising. Fingers crossed they're looking for someone new, and hopefully a fresh new direction away from SoI and SoE.

Who would you guys most like to see as producer for the next album?

If we are talking final album. My first choice would Eno/Lanois and Flood.
Second Choice - Eno and Flood
Third choice - Flood and Andy Barlow

I haven't read the article, but if they are talking about someone totally new, I have often dreamt of Scott Litt producing a U2 album. Although not even sure he's active anymore.

Obviously I've mentioned before Nigel Godrich. Godrich/Eno/Flood. Yikes that would something.

I also really like most of the stuff that Phil Ek has produced. Great atmospheres on a lot of those albums.

I really hope they don't do something for Zoo TV - I get celebrating albums, but tours are very much "of a time" with so many things making them unique & special at the time including the age of the performers. I really don't want to see a pastiche of that as the indoor shows in particular were so unique and amazing in terms of the atmosphere, passion, anger... a band at the absolute peak of their live powers. Just let things be.

I don’t want a ZooTV anniversary tour, but it would be great to get a small handful of ZooTV shows with releases on streaming platforms, both audio and video.

My first choice would Eno/Lanois and Flood.
Second Choice - Eno and Flood
Third choice - Flood and Andy Barlow

Flood Gang! Edge/Flood/Eno again would be great. Throw Barlow in for any "harder" numbers.

ZooTV should definitely be commemorated by expanding documentation of the era. I know it's been discussed on here, but I think at best a one-off show broadcast all across the universe would work. Anything more than that, and I'm having trouble imagining them effectively rescaling the show to not only cater to today's technology, but also a bunch of 60 year olds who are no longer larger-than-life. As applicable as ZooTV's basic concept is to today, it was IMO first and foremost a living extension of the music, atmosphere and attitude of Achtung Baby. All that being said, I'd still go.

if U2 wanted to do a 2 year anniversary tour of Ahimsa, i'd be down with it. honestly there was a time not too long ago when nobody knew if large scale global tours were going to be a thing again. so if they want to get out there just for shits and giggles? fine by me.

Outside of North American and pockets of Europe, we're still not sure when large concerts will be. That could be why Edge is speaking with hesitancy about the tour. The concert situation in Europe for next summer is still very uncertain. Places like Australia and Asia will be years before concerts return, most likely.

Ok, so reading the little "interview" with The Edge. Good news and bad news.

Good news -
1. Sounds like YSSML was sort of just a little one off thing that was sort of fun but didn't mean anything in the larger picture.

2. I get the need for a break after almost 5 years straight of touring and recording. And his comment about going so long you lose momentum and get worn down. (But we are going on year 2-3 from the last tour boys. Lets get goin.

3. Talking about them listening to music again. Ok. So this could be good or bad depending on what they are listening to. But it at least would seem that they are looking for ideas and inspiration. Hopefully good ones.

4. Edge saying he's having fun working on songs because there are no expectations or limitations. Could that mean more "outside the box" stuff. Hopefully.

Bad news

1. 2. and 3. Martin Garrix!!! Come on man.

Last edited:
4. Edge saying he's having fun working on songs because there are no expectations or limitations. Could that mean more "outside the box" stuff. Hopefully.

Edge has said this several different times over the years. It's almost like his go to canned response when asked about recording/studio progress.

Edge has said this several different times over the years. It's almost like his go to canned response when asked about recording/studio progress.

Yeah, that is true. That probably is how it starts most of the time, before they all get together, and there is a more purposeful direction.

Of the three who talk, I kinda only believe Adam as he seems least prone to buzzphrase bullshit.

A 30th anniversary Zoo TV tour just wouldn't work.

It wouldn’t be sincere or convincing. I just can’t reconcile the band who did that with the bollocks housewife music or cringe dad rock they release these days.

It’s fine not to go back to that daring style at this stage in their career anyway, but surely it’s not too much to ask for something mature, grown up and reflective from them?

They’ve gone from a band with interesting musical palette to something downright immature and pathetic. But not surprising from a band whose members hire Madonna’s manager, get pretty boy industry songwriters to help them write songs, all the while losing their sense of soul, spirit and imagination by getting sucked into the material world, whether it be Edge’s money grabbing, environmentally destructive property plans in a plastic soulless Malibu estate or Bono’s attempts to befriend every celebrity known to earth.

For a band that were so ethereal and spiritual with limitless imagination, it’s not difficult to find out the reasons why these immaterial qualities have been sucked from them.

They should be like Radiohead, still creating great artsy records. Instead they’re prancing about and making shite music like that joker Bon Jovi.

Last edited:
I would love for Adam and Edge to try and find the best riffs they could possibly dream of at this stage.

U2 has always relied on strong guitar or bass riffs to drive their songs. Especially their popular ones. Of course Bono gets a lot of attention but we all seem to agree that Edge hasn’t come up with anything memorable since Vertigo (Boots had a riff but never seemed to stick)

Getting Adam involved i think is great this early. My perception was he and Larry basically live their lives and only show up to studio to record the parts Edge thought of

You mean you don't want them to once again make brilliant, highly original, hook filled rock music that makes no effort to fit in with the pop charts?

You’re not saying Radiohead does that are you? They haven’t done that in 24 years.

I'm saying that every radiohead album is filled with hooks, is original, and is a rock album. And that they make no effort to fit in. U2 were good role models for them, now they're a good role model for U2. Unfortunately, U2 want to be Coldplay.

Back
Top Bottom