Next Album Rumours Thread V - Your Song Ruined My Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mean at this stage, literally any other glasses would suit him more and age him less.

Maybe, just maybe, with the whole global pandemic thing... they might release an EP or two spontaneously? They're not going to knock out an album quickly, that just ain't how they work, so maybe part of the issue with the last couple has been that they hold on to songs for so long that they end up second guessing them and reworking them way too much?

Last edited:
My father is Bono’s age and he in the past three years has adopted a beard, biker, Harley Davidson image (literally rides a Harley now with new found biker friends). Luckily for us it suits him and my grandfather still rides too so his later midlife crisis image isn’t awfully out of left field. What I’m saying is, Bono is due for a new look even though his family might cringe here and there at potentially what it can be. Maybe something as simple as wearing an Irish cap to give his dyed hair plugs a break, new glasses? Any subtle change can help B man’s image.

I think Bono is leaning into being a weird, old eccentric. Probably embraces that he looks decidely uncool.

I think Bono is leaning into being a weird, old eccentric. Probably embraces that he looks decidely uncool.

I could live with this IF that translated to the next music they would make. I'll take some eccentric and decidedly uncool, who cares what people think music.

But if they still are gonna put American Souls and SFS's on albums, I'm gonna need some black, slicked back or short cropped hair, a nice fitting smaller leather jacket and some new shades.

I was watching the new Velvet Underground documentary last night, and I wondered if any of the members of U2 had seen it as they're big fans. My hope is that it might inspire them and allow them to remember that making artsier stuff and exploring textures has a purpose that is just as important as crafting catchy tunes.

That did cross my mind, but the tweet seems to be missing something. Possibly the issue is me wanting to believe someone has shown them how the internet works so they can just release stuff as and when its ready and/or topical.

"U2 are releasing a standalone digital single for "I Believe in Father Christmas" on November 26, 2021. The single features new art created by Bono. "

Maybe....

"U2 are releasing their 2008 version of "I Believe in Father Christmas" to digital platforms on November 26, 2021. The single features new art created by Bono. "

Last edited:
It says 2009, but yeah, it’s not a new recoding. I really like it and have been bummed it was never on streaming services.

I was watching the new Velvet Underground documentary last night, and I wondered if any of the members of U2 had seen it as they're big fans. My hope is that it might inspire them and allow them to remember that making artsier stuff and exploring textures has a purpose that is just as important as crafting catchy tunes.

How was this doc overall btw?

We all know/love this one, right?!:

I wish U2 would stop overcooking their Christmas songs and just stick with one producer.

My Saturday has begun with reading the NYT feature on ABBA's comeback and the many comments. It occurred to me that a current megatrend is adjusting to aging musicians' physical being in the world and how that contrasts with their younger selves.

My take: How *TF* (shouting a little here) do I get to tell Bono what he should look like, how much he should weigh or what he should wear? He can have all the money and power in the world, but he is still entitled to basic human autonomy. If I happen to vibe with his style, great. I don't see how I get to tell him that his sunglasses are wrong, his hair is bad, or his Guinness gut overly voluminous.

How would I feel if he told me "Don't wear those stupid pants to my concert?" Would I still eagerly slap down the credit card for the ticket? If there is a "contract" between me as ticket buyer and him as performer, it is that we both show up at the appointed time and place and he sings the songs while I stand and listen.

In the JT30 show he was very winded and out of breath during "Running to Stand Still" (from his exertion during "Bullet"), to the extent that I was vaguely shocked. Typically a live performance will be configured to either prevent or mask the singer brushing up against this physical constraint. I might cite this as an example of a failing of the concert's stage direction, while possibly appreciating the realness of the live performance.

Bono's job is to show up and sing the songs. Let him get even balder and fatter for all I care, as long as he structures the concert to showcase his vocal talent to the best of his ability. Time is not any body's friend. It was mentioned that Bono was hottest during ZooTV, I would say Joshua Tree (and perhaps he shouldn't have cut his mane quite so short while he still had it in the nineties), but during the Zoo era he was already paying someone to fluff his thinning hair just right between songs. For me, the Elevation tour was the sweet spot of his youthful physical appearance with fewer insufferable onstage mannerisms.

I indulge in this hypocrisy only to prove a point--how well did he sing in the Achtung era? Very well indeed. The musicians were still adjusting to the technology and there is, for example, a distracting click track bleep on "Even Better than the Real Thing" audible in good bootlegs. They will be able to go back to those songs in the likely reboot tour and present them live much better now from a purely musical standpoint. Whether Bono pays a physical trainer to get him into peak state or is rolled out onstage in a wheelchair wearing a diaper, all I ask is that he nail the songs.

Last edited:
Must have altitude sickness on your high horse.

"Released" a song recorded over ten years ago.

That was the point.

776.jpg

"Yo dude but what if..no wait wait but wait, wait..do you think the horses of love uhh and lust or uh, whatever the shit, are the fuckin' wild horses?"

Promising right?

Although I’ve not read the full article and you know the saying about “fool me once…” etc.

hmmmm.. Would be nice to have a fall 2022 release then be tour ready by spring/summer of 2023...

Glad they are least doing something. I think we should print out all of the posts from the Next Album Rumors threads and hand deliver to their management office. Tell them to take a good hard read before recording. Thank you.

My redact the fat Bono bits. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom