Next Album Rumours Thread V - Your Song Ruined My Life - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2021, 09:24 AM   #41
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVaul View Post
The Crue/Lep is a package tour, so I wouldn’t even count it. I was surprised by the sales in RHCP bc the pricing is ridiculous. Good for them I guess?

Two more acts to note: Springsteen stadium tour feels inevitable. Macca probably has one more go ‘round left in him.
yea i forgot about Bruce. typically he goes arenas first and then stadiums on his tours - arenas to warmup with a more static-ish set, and then the guns come out when the stadium shows begin - alas, it's not a typical year so maybe he'll jump right into stadiums.

mccartney is on the list for sure. and the stones. i can see the stones doing a handful of shows like they did this year just to keep things rolling. i don't get a sense that macca is touring in 2022 but it's not impossible.

still a short list - 10-12 acts maybe?

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattD View Post
A 30th anniversary Zoo TV tour just wouldn't work.

It wouldn’t be sincere or convincing. I just can’t reconcile the band who did that with the bollocks housewife music or cringe dad rock they release these days.

It’s fine not to go back to that daring style at this stage in their career anyway, but surely it’s not too much to ask for something mature, grown up and reflective from them?

They’ve gone from a band with interesting musical palette to something downright immature and pathetic. But not surprising from a band whose members hire Madonna’s manager, get pretty boy industry songwriters to help them write songs, all the while losing their sense of soul, spirit and imagination by getting sucked into the material world, whether it be Edge’s money grabbing, environmentally destructive property plans in a plastic soulless Malibu estate or Bono’s attempts to befriend every celebrity known to earth.

For a band that were so ethereal and spiritual with limitless imagination, it’s not difficult to find out the reasons why these immaterial qualities have been sucked from them.

They should be like Radiohead, still creating great artsy records. Instead they’re prancing about and making shite music like that joker Bon Jovi.
Radiohead is going on year 6 since their last album, so I wouldn't say they're making any records at all.

But U2 has never been a Radiohead. We all long for U2 to go back to their Artsy period, which was brilliant, but when you look at their career as a whole, they are who they are and we shouldn't be surprised that they're still trying to make music for the masses.

mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
For arenas? Yes - it's tight. U2 will always be box office so if they really want to hit the road and do arenas? People will make room for them.

But stadium shows - there's only a handful of acts that full stadiums, and a U2 Zoo TV show is one of them.

By my count right now it's RHCP, the Motley Crew/Def Leppord/80s rock shitfest, Kenny Chesney and Rammstein, Coldplay, Elton John.

T-Swizzle can fill stadiums but the talk now is that she'll do arenas. Outside of that - who is left that can fill a stadium? BTS, Beyonce, Garth Brooks, Metallica, U2. That's about the list.
Yeah, and RHCP isn't really "filling" stadiums. They have about 65% of the seats available and are touring with people like Beck and The Strokes to boot.
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #44
Refugee

Quote:
yea i forgot about Bruce. typically he goes arenas first and then stadiums on his tours - arenas to warmup with a more static-ish set, and then the guns come out when the stadium shows begin - alas, it's not a typical year so maybe he'll jump right into stadiums.

mccartney is on the list for sure. and the stones. i can see the stones doing a handful of shows like they did this year just to keep things rolling. i don't get a sense that macca is touring in 2022 but it's not impossible.

still a short list - 10-12 acts maybe?

I get the sense Bruce wants to play to the largest possible crowds after all the shit. Maybe some warmups at Pru/MSG/UBS to keep it simple travel-wise. The fanbase will go to the stadiums and it will be healing. Except for the livers.

Macca def not touring next year but has to be sooner rather than later. Agree on the Stones. Why not? The stage is built. The tickets sell. They don’t give a fuck about being a little sloppy. Do something simple for routing and then take a few months off.

The big question mark to me is if AC/DC will do a Brian-led (farewell?) tour.
DeVaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:25 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:52 AM
As for Radiohead, I've always liked them. The Bends is in my top 10 albums ever. But never thought they were as brilliant as many do. I respect them for the path they chose I guess. It's just hasn't been my sort of thing for probably 15 years or so.

U2 have always wanted to be big. So they strive for that every time, with mixed results. I think Radiohead saw the gushing indie hipster crowd love and they just tried to out-Radiohead themselves to be adored by the Pitchfork crowd. I love U2's 90's stuff more than any other period, but glad they didn't go down the road of trying to cater to people that think Animal Collective is the greatest music ever made.
U2 does their best work when art and concept collide with their core rock center. AB, UF, lots of tracks from Zooropa, POP and No Line. At least IMO.
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:52 PM
Quote:
By my count right now it's RHCP, the Motley Crew/Def Leppord/80s rock shitfest, Kenny Chesney and Rammstein, Coldplay, Elton John.
Rammstein fills stadiums...in the US??
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:05 AM   #47
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

They’re booking ‘em, they ain’t selling ‘em. They’ve got another 9 months before the start of the tour but I expect some discount offers. Too many open seats across the tour right now.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:28 AM   #48
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
As for Radiohead, I've always liked them. The Bends is in my top 10 albums ever. But never thought they were as brilliant as many do. I respect them for the path they chose I guess. It's just hasn't been my sort of thing for probably 15 years or so.

U2 have always wanted to be big. So they strive for that every time, with mixed results. I think Radiohead saw the gushing indie hipster crowd love and they just tried to out-Radiohead themselves to be adored by the Pitchfork crowd. I love U2's 90's stuff more than any other period, but glad they didn't go down the road of trying to cater to people that think Animal Collective is the greatest music ever made.
Gushing indie hipster love? You mean when OK Computer was (laughably) voted the best album of all time by the readers of Q Magazine in 1998? They were a mainstream success from 1993 onward, and their weirdest albums were also immensely popular. I was in a crowd of 30,000 to see them on the Amnesiac tour.

Radiohead also strive to be big - you don't become and remain one of the biggest bands in the world by accident. You don't really think they gave a fuck about what a small indie website thought when the made Kid A, do you? After Amnesiac their music's been pretty accessible. And popular. They have mass appeal. I really don't know where this idea that they're some weirdo "hipster" band with niche appeal came from. They play arenas and headline festivals around the world, and everything they do is an event..
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:30 AM   #49
New Yorker

I don't see McCartney doing any stadium shows. I His voice is shot.
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

This kind of blew my mind — I remember watching the video for “du hast” or whatever … on VHS … in college … and even then, it seemed kind of niche (if not kitsch).

But good on them. I guess they have an audience? The stadiums they are booking are in the biggest markets — NY, LA, etc.

Seems to me that the top tier of stadium acts, or “multiple nights in a stadium” is probably just U2, Stones, Springsteen … and maybe Garth? Taylor? Beyoncé? And who could do so on both sides of the Atlantic?

Just curious if there’s a kind of power ranking of acts.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
Gushing indie hipster love? You mean when OK Computer was (laughably) voted the best album of all time by the readers of Q Magazine in 1998? They were a mainstream success from 1993 onward, and their weirdest albums were also immensely popular. I was in a crowd of 30,000 to see them on the Amnesiac tour.

Radiohead also strive to be big - you don't become and remain one of the biggest bands in the world by accident. You don't really think they gave a fuck about what a small indie website thought when the made Kid A, do you? After Amnesiac their music's been pretty accessible. And popular. They have mass appeal. I really don't know where this idea that they're some weirdo "hipster" band with niche appeal came from. They play arenas and headline festivals around the world, and everything they do is an event..
While true, it's no secret that U2's version of big is different that Radiohead's version.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #52
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

Seems to me that the top tier of stadium acts, or “multiple nights in a stadium” is probably just U2, Stones, Springsteen … and maybe Garth? Taylor? Beyoncé? And who could do so on both sides of the Atlantic?

Just curious if there’s a kind of power ranking of acts.

Don’t forget that ginger troll.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:49 AM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Quote:
They’re booking ‘em, they ain’t selling ‘em. They’ve got another 9 months before the start of the tour but I expect some discount offers. Too many open seats across the tour right now.
And those shows went on sale pre-Covid originally. Been over 2 years and they have sold a theater's worth of tix in most stadiums.
Whatever boob booked that tour must surely have been canned.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:50 AM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Don’t forget that ginger troll.

Oh right. The one that lives under that bridge in the UK.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:52 PM
Quote:
Their albums are all based around bass-drums-guitar, there are always multiple uptempo, riff based songs (even Kid A!) and nearly every song they've ever done adheres to the verse-chorus-verse formula. They're a rock band who make rock albums. The songs are all based on hooks, too.

They're not a meat & potatoes rock band but they're definitely a rock band. Always have been.

All of these descriptions could be applied to Taylor Swift, Simon and Garfunkel, Fleet Foxes, and a million other artists who aren’t considered rock. I would never in a million years consider anything Radiohead has done post OK Computer to be “rock”.
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #56
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
They're doing a stadium tour.

Perhaps they saw our past president and thought we were having a late 30s German renaissance moment and wanted to capitalize. Who can say for sure.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:57 PM   #57
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

I was in a crowd of 90,000 on an album that featured a heaping turd about footwear as the lead single. What's your point?
Old 11-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #58
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
All of these descriptions could be applied to Taylor Swift, Simon and Garfunkel, Fleet Foxes, and a million other artists who aren’t considered rock. I would never in a million years consider anything Radiohead has done post OK Computer to be “rock”.

Is it “classic rock”? Perhaps not.
Modern/alternative rock? Sure.
If we’re going to classify anything U2 did in the 90s as rock, absolutely.

https://youtu.be/wozwbfY2p1Q

https://youtu.be/Fe6X9fLLp0Y
Old 11-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #59
War Child

Whatever, genre only matters in the broadest sense these days, if at all. And once a band starts playing arenas they’re a pop act no matter what. Radiohead is Arena Pop with a fan base that has deluded themselves into thinking they’re some hidden, sophisticated art rock gem.

I fucking love Radiohead.
pacemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:15 PM   #60
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker View Post
Radiohead is Arena Pop with a fan base that has deluded themselves into thinking they’re some hidden, sophisticated art rock gem.
i may frame this