Next Album Rumours Thread V - Your Song Ruined My Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Invisible was a long time ahead of SOI being wrapped. OL was the same for SOE.

I still think the u2 songs prediction of the recut songs this year, new album next year is an optimistic timeline for this band.

This band can knuckle down and finish a song if they are focused on it for a reason, and it’s likely when the opportunity came up to contribute to this they picked something that seemed aligned, made some tweaks and finished it off.

Invisible was a long time ahead of SOI being wrapped. OL was the same for SOE.

I still think the u2 songs prediction of the recut songs this year, new album next year is an optimistic timeline for this band.

This band can knuckle down and finish a song if they are focused on it for a reason, and it’s likely when the opportunity came up to contribute to this they picked something that seemed aligned, made some tweaks and finished it off.

If it was a reworked something or other, Crazy Tonight has a lot of hills and mountain climbing in the lyrics, and apparatus this “new” song is called Crazy Mountain??

I’d be surprised. I know they can be lazy, but that’s be a big stretch. All the promo stuff is calling it a new song, except the one reference to a mix.

Bird is climbing a mountain with motor neurone as the main fundraiser, I am sure Bono wants to get some inspirational words in there, so I would hope this is another moment of their where Bono hears a story, gets inspired and they build something quickly a-la we are the people and YSSML - no matter what people think of the actual songs

They’re dumb and lazy.

Sure, but this isn't indicative of that. This popped up out of nowhere in the midst of an Oscar campaign and dropped quickly with little fanfare for something that is fairly obscure. This is Bono doing a favor for a friend to drum up visibility for charity while getting a nice little tax write off.

I got excited too.

Sure, but this isn't indicative of that. This popped up out of nowhere in the midst of an Oscar campaign and dropped quickly with little fanfare for something that is fairly obscure. This is Bono doing a favor for a friend to drum up visibility for charity while getting a nice little tax write off.

I got excited too.

Yip, its clearly just a nice thing to do which should help raise the profile of someone doing a great challenge for an utter c**t of a disease.

another serving of humble pie may not be a bad thing

On the one hand, if it gets them off the ledge of “we’re serious songwriters who are pursuing craft at the expense of everything that made us interesting,” that’d be fine.

On the other hand, they’ve been getting their collective ass kicked since at least 2014 if not 2009 when No Line whiffed. Hasn’t hurt their live business, but they clearly are aware of the public and press view. If anything, it ain’t a lack of criticism, but their reactions to it that are the problem.

On the one hand, if it gets them off the ledge of “we’re serious songwriters who are pursuing craft at the expense of everything that made us interesting,” that’d be fine.

On the other hand, they’ve been getting their collective ass kicked since at least 2014 if not 2009 when No Line whiffed. Hasn’t hurt their live business, but they clearly are aware of the public and press view. If anything, it ain’t a lack of criticism, but their reactions to it that are the problem.

They’re whiffing horribly with their lead singles since No Line. I remember when Boots hit the radio the DJ’s literally were like eh, ok what was that crap? Miracle was the same, but clearly overshadowed by the release. Best Thing got the same “eh, ok that was that” response on the radio debut.

They need their new single to hit it out of the park.

Bono talked about With or Without You being such a odd sounding song compared to everything on the radio at that time, which is what made them hesitate a little in releasing it (others talked them back to reality)

U2 songs since SOI have become so packaged, fine tuned, pop centric that they don't really stand out compared to what is playing on the radio or whatever format now. Their songs are so pristine with the production and Bono being front and center of every single song.

Maybe U2 needs to go back to those days where they knew they were different than the pop culture, and even rock scene and make U2 songs versus trying to make U2 a pop act / Beatles.

I'll give them credit for becoming better at crafting a pop song, but they lose a lot of what made them unique (EDGE).

They create something that pushes and interests them, only them, and maybe these new songs sound nothing like what's out there today (or in future) which gives them the attention and acclaim they always want.

It has to be the right song though. Discotheque is an amazing song to me, but Staring at the Sun or LNOE maybe would have softened the Pop album reception.

Vertigo is a great rock song, we hadn't really heard that from them and blew up.
Boots, I don't think is a bad song, but again just a bit similar to Vertigo and not as catchy.
Miracle -- meh
Best Thing -- Good pop song, but not something the public really cared about

Next single, something different but has the ability to keep interest. Good luck

I think a ballad would catch more attention than another Vertigo-clone.

It’s actually what they do best and why people love them and would get attention.

They could also stand to cool it with all of the narratives and return to the thematic stuff. They've spent over a decade reflecting on/admiring/addressing/thanking the past. Your Song Saved My Life and/or this rerecording project could serve as a nice wrap-up to that era, but... ya know.

It's weird to wish for, but the end-of-the-road, dark, pensive U2 I always thought we'd eventually get doesn't seem to be in the cards for us in this miserable slice of the multiverse. Instead, we might just get sad empty-nester Bono until the end.

I'm always ready to eat crow when it comes to this band, though.

The sad thing is, the last three albums have had plenty of tracks that were both better than the actual lead singles.

Imagine if NLOTH's lead single was Moment Of Surrender (maybe slightly edited down for time) or Magnificent.

SOI's release structure might've ruined things anyway, but Raised By Wolves would've been a better and more thematic fit than Miracle.

For SOE, Red Flag Day was right there as an obvious lead single choice, as both an old and new sound for U2.

Yeah, acoustic arrangements are just tailor made for the festival crowd.

I was totally going to "Heh" this (as in what I'm guessing is a snarky comment of which I'd agree) until I just remembered Richie Havens' acoustic (I think it was) "Freedom" in the Woodstock movie. Rousing!

So I suppose it's how they approach it. Though I'm not exactly holding my breath. :lol:

The sad thing is, the last three albums have had plenty of tracks that were both better than the actual lead singles.

Imagine if NLOTH's lead single was Moment Of Surrender (maybe slightly edited down for time) or Magnificent.

SOI's release structure might've ruined things anyway, but Raised By Wolves would've been a better and more thematic fit than Miracle.

For SOE, Red Flag Day was right there as an obvious lead single choice, as both an old and new sound for U2.
MOS as a single? Ehhh, imho. I like the song, don't love it.
Magnificent otoh. Yes, that would have been great. I like Boots, but Magnificent would have been much better.

I really like Miracle, but RBW is more fitting, and a great song!

Uh, forgot what SOE first single was ... but RFD is a really good old/new sound. That chorus really kicks!

I think The Blackout was the first song released from SOE as a video but not officially a single right?

yes, i remember this because i had deleted facebook years earlier and very unwillingly had to sign up again to watch the release of the blackout video. we were all expecting a proper single announcement but it was just the facebook video release.

The first “real” single was You’re The Best Thing About Me.

Which was a poor choice. But yeah.

I think TBTAM was a decent choice. It's a solid pop song with a cool bridge. I like it quite a bit. Got more airplay than anything from SOI. And SOI had several better choices, where I'm not sure as much with SOE, maybe Summer of Love, Love is Bigger...

If you're dead-set on making the most mainstream pop choice for a single, then yes, it may seem like the only option. But Love is Bigger is considerably better, and has some similarities, though it's a bit more downbeat in the verses.

They had a perfectly good modern rock selection with The Blackout but they bunted with it instead of having the full conviction to make it a single. Red Flag Day is another one that would have built excitement with its retro-U2 vibe.

Back
Top Bottom