Next Album Rumours Thread V - Your Song Ruined My Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just think this is an attempt to get them back into the spot light in a subtle way with songs everyone knows and showing everyone hey Bono is kind of old, he sings differently now, but he’s still great!

Agreed. A soft reset.

It is to my ears. That voice sounds just about gone.

I’ve felt this way before, of course, and it’s come back. But this is not promising. I get so worried over whether or not he can actually hit the note that I almost disregard the tone of his singing, which isn’t good at all here.

He’s taken the “I like the broken character of my voice” thing a bit too far.

Really isn't that bad.

I like it and if it’s a preview of the potential re-imagining album of songs, could be very interesting and just exciting to get a touch of something quasi new from the boys. Also like the partial new lyrics in the end, not sure if that’s intentional or just a one off ad lib.

People are going way too far on the voice thing. It’s a clip of Bono and edge playing it live in a room. This is not a preview of the reimagined thing. It could be arranged the same, but they will record the vocals properly.

Bono often needs a few shows to warm into things on a tour, and he’s had plenty of ups and downs before. He sounded amazing in Sydney in 2019, and they haven’t played many shows since, so it’s hardly indicative of a long running decline.

It is to my ears. That voice sounds just about gone.

I’ve felt this way before, of course, and it’s come back. But this is not promising. I get so worried over whether or not he can actually hit the note that I almost disregard the tone of his singing, which isn’t good at all here.

He’s taken the “I like the broken character of my voice” thing a bit too far.

Yep.

Y’all are tripping. He’s not pushing himself here, the vocal treatment - deliberately fragile - sounds fine for the arrangement.

It was fine. I think he’s figuring out how his new voice works, and he’ll get a handle on it.

But let’s take a moment and honor how fantastically good this song is. I can’t believe it was written by 22 year olds. It’s great this intimate, but it lights up a stadium in three seconds.

A top 10 U2 song for sure.

"i only became a singer, like, recently"

You know - I can actually understand that quote in context. A friend of mine who was a very gifted music student used to give me lots of shit for liking U2 - his argument was that while Edge was a genius, he did all of the melodic heavy lifting. Larry played a beat, fine. Adam played root-note bass with some occasional riffing, fine. Bono had a voice that sounded pleasant enough, but he rarely did much with counter melodies, inflections, using his voice the way a true vocalist would. He is partially right, his vocal melodies can be quite plain, and you can actually hear him in this clip trying to add some mustard onto a rather staccato, jabby vocal melody.

The issue is when Bono says (or is interpreted to say) that his prior work didn’t have value because of this. It is beloved and it is in and of itself a style of note. We love it for what it was, but the criticism is a fair cop.

The SBS acoustic is a bit jarring. There is no reverb or effects on Bono’s voice at all. This is very similar to what you hear if you listen to an IEM capture of their shows. Very hard to listen to. But it’s his raw voice and sadly, it’s not deliberately fragile. It’s the only voice he has these days. I still think he should be using his lower register more.

Not so much for Bono’s voice, but more so for the boring arrangement, I hope there is not an album like this in the works. This arrangement doesn’t take the song anywhere.

Last edited:
The SBS acoustic is a bit jarring. There is no reverb or effects on Bono’s voice at all. This is very similar to what you hear if you listen to an IEM capture of their shows. Very hard to listen to. But it’s his raw voice and sadly, it’s not deliberately fragile. It’s the only voice he has these days. I still think he should be using his lower register more.

He’s singing softly, it’s not a full chest voice approach. He’s super close to the mic for most of it. That is deliberate. It would sound different if he “went for it” the full song.

bono and edge: let's record a low key acoustic version of Sunday Bloody Sunday to honor the 50th Anniversary of Bloody Sunday.

interference: EHRRMAGHAHHHHD BUONER CUNT SING NO MUUUUR!!

That’s a patronizing response and that’s not what’s going on. Believe me, for every “ehrmagahd” negative post, there’s always a few posters who can be counted on to defend every single thing the band does as well. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to critique a performance, specifically when Bono’s voice sounds weak and strained. You can call it “low key,” but to me it’s low key by necessity, rather than choice.

He sang that way with the charity RTSS version.

Seems to be a theme. Don't know if it means his voice his shot, but it's not really his best performance

I think what he’s really hinting at is why do you so harshly criticize and care about what is otherwise a chill production

Because I'm a fan of the band and it's a musical performance. It doesn't matter what the intention is, if I don't like the performance, I'm going to say so. And I don't "care" all that much, other than I saw it and said "wow, sounds pretty rough," and figured I'd weigh in on the U2 message board I frequent. I don't think I was particularly harsh either, I just said "his voice doesn't sound good," with a proviso that I'd heard it improve after sounding rough before. I even said it had moments that sounded good. That's harsh criticism?!

Because I'm a fan of the band and it's a musical performance. It doesn't matter what the intention is, if I don't like the performance, I'm going to say so. And I don't "care" all that much, other than I saw it and said "wow, sounds pretty rough," and figured I'd weigh in on the U2 message board I frequent. I don't think I was particularly harsh either, I just said "his voice doesn't sound good," with a proviso that I'd heard it improve after sounding rough before. I even said it had moments that sounded good. That's harsh criticism?!

I’m just translating migraine man’s old-man-get off-my-lawn rambles for you so y’all can hopefully restart the conversation without the shit storm.

Bono's phrasing and approach to the song were more of an issue than his voice. It could have been good but he made some very, very strange choices.

The RTE article describes it as a “brand new mix”, so it’s possible it’s a single/promotional version of a song that is planned for a future album.

Back
Top Bottom