Next Album Rumours Thread IV - 2 Sing 2 Furious - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2021, 10:08 PM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
10 13 (There Is A Light)
But now the title makes no sense.
Have to change it to: 10. 10 (There is a Bo Derek Movie)

Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:01 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
SOE:

1. Love Is All We Have Left
2. The Blackout
3. Lights Of Home
4. Little Things
5. Best Thing
6. Book Of Your Heart
7. Summer Of Love
8. Red Flag Day
9. The Showman
10. Landlady
11. Love Is Bigger
12. There Is A Light

Really only two major clunkers to dump. Best Thing is lightweight but I don't mind it.

Little Things on the first half? Seems like it’s a showstopper to me.

I think Best Thing would do better as a stand-alone single or soundtrack to a movie. Also, and I’ve tried, I don’t understand all of the love on here for Book Of Your Heart. To me that belongs right next to The Crystal Ballroom as a Songs-era b-side.

the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:53 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:37 PM
Alternate track lists that don’t use the Kygo mix of Best Thing don’t count.
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:54 AM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Little Things on the first half? Seems like it’s a showstopper to me.

I think Best Thing would do better as a stand-alone single or soundtrack to a movie. Also, and I’ve tried, I don’t understand all of the love on here for Book Of Your Heart. To me that belongs right next to The Crystal Ballroom as a Songs-era b-side.
You already have the showstopper near the end - Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way. Why would you put both songs back to back?

No, it deserves to be near the beginning, and probably should have been a legitimate first single, with The Blackout serving as an early first look.

Looks like we agree with moving The Blackout to the front; it's sequenced much better there, but you should try Lights Of Home right after. They work so well together.

As for Book Of Your Heart, there's certainly nothing earth shattering about the song, but it serves as a nice change of pace track in this context. I didn't notice it had much love on here, to be honest.

And since you mentioned The Crystal Ballroom, here's my SOI, which is essentially the same apart from two key song changes:

1. Invisible
2. Every Breaking Wave
3. California
4. The Crystal Ballroom
5. Iris
6. Volcano
7. Raised By Wolves
8. Cedarwood Road
9. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
10. Reach Me Now
11. The Troubles

Two decent album entries this way.
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #85
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

1. Invisible
2. Every Breaking Wave
3. California
4. The Crystal Ballroom
5. Iris
6. Volcano
7. Raised By Wolves
8. Cedarwood Road
10. Reach Me Now
11. The Troubles

Man do those 2 song changes make a world of difference.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:11 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
You already have the showstopper near the end - Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way. Why would you put both songs back to back?

I’m not sure I’d call Love Is Bigger a showstopper. It’s definitely a big anthem though. I see those two together as a one-two punch like Ultraviolet and Acrobat on Achtung Baby.
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:32 AM   #87
War Child

Local Time: 09:37 PM
Quote:
I’m not sure I’d call Love Is Bigger a showstopper. It’s definitely a big anthem though. I see those two together as a one-two punch like Ultraviolet and Acrobat on Achtung Baby.
A lot of people seem to like Love is bigger..... For me it's the worst u2 song from the last two decades.😄😄
wolbersu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:33 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Fair enough. I guess the only difference there would be that neither Ultraviolet or Acrobat would have been considered a single, whereas for SOE, if Little Things had been a lead single, I would have rather put it in a more strategic position on the album.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Man do those 2 song changes make a world of difference.
In hindsight, they really came close with these albums. I remember being somewhat lukewarm at first blush, and there are certain elements in some songs that still annoy me (like the California intro), but for a band at this stage of their career, they are fairly solid.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:35 PM   #90
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Yeah, I’ll take “My Mammy” over “Refujesus” or the geriatric falsetto “haven’t heard” from Crazy Tonight any day of the week.
Oh, for sure. This cracked me up.

I don't even mind "My Mammy". I don't see the cringe moments of POP really being that cringey because the band seemed to want a more playful/satirical image of "selling themselves". So, the Discotheque video, mentioning the cartoon network, insect in your ear, Miami, and the majority of The Playboy Mansion lyrics all make sense to me with this perspective in mind.

I'm biased in my endless love for the album though. I think its beauty is in the dichotomy of making fun of themselves as pop artists, but also creating a deep/dark roller coaster of emotions that came with a lot of late 90s Millennium-changing feelings. It's the party at the end of the world that asks where we go from here and if it's nowhere, can we have just a little more time. I wouldn't change the track order/listing even if you paid me.
Rich79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #91
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolbersu2 View Post
A lot of people seem to like Love is bigger..... For me it's the worst u2 song from the last two decades.😄😄
I wouldn't go worst in 2 decades (Song For Someone takes that title for me), but I have zero use for Love is Bigger...
Old 10-12-2021, 01:20 PM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Quote:
I think it's almost a showstopper; as I've said before they should have had at least one more repeat on the choral refrain before the end, and I don't like how they then cut the music before the little "whoa whoa whoa-oh oh-oh" coda; it should have been just a fade out.

At least when they do it live they repeat it a couple more times, they must have realized the end of a concert needs a bigger sendoff.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #93
Refugee

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Quote:
That’s hilarious!

For me the singles for Pop would have gone:

Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Last Night On Earth
Staring At The Sun
Discotheque

and the Pop tracklisting would be something like:

Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Miami
The Playboy Mansion
Staring At The Sun
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Please
Wake Up Dead Man
I've got a Pop mix which has all of that, plus Holy Joe, I'm Not Your Baby etc, but starts with the Pop Muzik radio edit straight in to Mofo with no gap between them.
ascender_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Quote:

No, it deserves to be near the beginning, and probably should have been a legitimate first single, with The Blackout serving as an early first look.

Looks like we agree with moving The Blackout to the front; it's sequenced much better there, but you should try Lights Of Home right after. They work so well together.

As for Book Of Your Heart, there's certainly nothing earth shattering about the song, but it serves as a nice change of pace track in this context. I didn't notice it had much love on here, to be honest.

And since you mentioned The Crystal Ballroom, here's my SOI, which is essentially the same apart from two key song changes:

1. Invisible
2. Every Breaking Wave
3. California
4. The Crystal Ballroom
5. Iris
6. Volcano
7. Raised By Wolves
8. Cedarwood Road
10. Reach Me Now
11. The Troubles

This is my SOI tracklist:

1. Invisible
2. Every Breaking Wave
3. California
4. Miracle
5. Volcano
6. Iris
7. Raised By Wolves
8. Cedarwood Road
9. Reach
10. The Crystal Ballroom
11. Sleep Like A Baby
12. The Troubles

The only song I don't like on the album is SFS, so I booted that.
I LOVE Crystal Ballroom, and Invisible is ok, a bit too standard U2 for my taste, but good enough to be on the album. And while Miracle wasn't a good lead single choice, I do think it makes a decent album cut.
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:08 PM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich79 View Post

I don't even mind "My Mammy". I don't see the cringe moments of POP really being that cringey because the band seemed to want a more playful/satirical image of "selling themselves". So, the Discotheque video, mentioning the cartoon network, insect in your ear, Miami, and the majority of The Playboy Mansion lyrics all make sense to me with this perspective in mind.

I'm biased in my endless love for the album though. I think its beauty is in the dichotomy of making fun of themselves as pop artists, but also creating a deep/dark roller coaster of emotions that came with a lot of late 90s Millennium-changing feelings. It's the party at the end of the world that asks where we go from here and if it's nowhere, can we have just a little more time. I wouldn't change the track order/listing even if you paid me.
I'm on the same page. This is the album I would want played as my time is running out. Like I have the choice of dying in a bed and I get one album to choose, after the last song fades out so do I.

The album is so dark, rough, and feels like you've lived an entire life by the time you to those Wake Up chords.

I do feel the same way about In Rainbows from Radiohead, similar journey. Kinda warm and playful at the start and then just gets darker and darker. Both albums end on a pretty down note.
BEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:30 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich79 View Post

Yes, POP is somehow more perfect because of it's "flaws". And ending with Wake Up Dead Man... It's just so right, and in a bigger picture, that song closing out the trilogy of Achtung, Zooropa and POP is pretty much perfection.
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:04 PM   #97
Blue Crack Distributor

https://youtu.be/fDWBpppsNLA?t=462
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:37 AM   #98
Blue Crack Supplier

So is Meghan Trainor now the enemy of art?
Old 10-14-2021, 11:17 AM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

I see what you did there.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:01 PM   #100
Blue Crack Distributor

No, this is the enemy of art

https://youtu.be/cQPOBukKw9A

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote