Next Album Rumours Thread IV - 2 Sing 2 Furious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL. There's plenty terrible to write about. But the problem is that they don't write about it these modern political problems well. One need look no further than Get Out and American Soul. And people are annoyed enough already with Bono. Getting preachy about Trump and stuff really doesn't attract anyone.

And these type of issues don't result in the "darker" U2 I'm talking about. They just throw some cliche's into a bouncy song about love will heal it all and... splat.

I think they still could have some Dirty Day's, or Sleep Like a Baby Tonight's, or Stay's or Running to Stand Still's in them. It's getting real emotion back behind them, letting the Edge break loose again, and steering well clear of the latest bullshit that's going on. Even their biggest hits like WOWY, Still Haven't Found, and One... They all have a bit of this darker edge of desperation, longing, struggle about them. THAT's what they have been about.

Not:
Fight back
Don't take it lyin' down, you got to bite back
The face of liberty's startin' to crack
She had a plan until she got a smack in the mouth
And it all went South
Like freedom
The slaves are lookin' for someone to lead 'em
The master's lookin' for someone to need him
The promised land is there for those who need it most
And Lincoln's ghost said
Get out of your own way

I think there one shot at doing something great, but something they will never do. Pull a Zooropa, and shut themselves away with 1 or 2 producers, and whatever comes out in 2 months is the final album. I personally think that if they still have any goodwill with Eno or Lanois, that teaming one of them up with maybe Barlow or Flood could yield interesting results. Leave Lillywhite and obviously Tedder out of it for once.

Someone here described Bono's lyrics these days as basically trying to write t-shirt slogans, which I kind of get. Obviously not all their songs are like that, but a lot of them sure are - particularly the singles.

Like you mentioned, it's kind of preachy, but it can also come off as a vague, generic platitude that doesn't connect to anything specific or personal. Like an outside observer, or even a tourist.
I guess songs like 13 and Love is Bigger are personal letters, but they're still basically preaching to someone else.

It would be cool to get some singles like Still Haven't Found, or With or Without you, or more recently, Every Breaking Wave. Hell, even 'The Best Thing'. Something personal, blunt and vulnerable.

Someone here described Bono's lyrics these days as basically trying to write t-shirt slogans, which I kind of get. Obviously not all their songs are like that, but a lot of them sure are - particularly the singles.

Like you mentioned, it's kind of preachy, but it can also come off as a vague, generic platitude that doesn't connect to anything specific or personal. Like an outside observer, or even a tourist.
I guess songs like 13 and Love is Bigger are personal letters, but they're still basically preaching to someone else.

It would be cool to get some singles like Still Haven't Found, or With or Without you, or more recently, Every Breaking Wave. Hell, even 'The Best Thing'. Something personal, blunt and vulnerable.

Exactly. I love 13 because it taps into personal vulnerability like the same way a song like Little Things does. Those are good songs. And I really like Best Thing, because it may sound like a happy pop song but still has that touch of doubt in it, The best things are easy to destroy.

I really think that No LIne had a good mix of experimentation, passion, Edge guitar work, and lyricism that the band could still pull off. Yes, it would mean they would have to be wise enough to not plop three turds of the middle of it like they did on No Line. But they were in a good direction on that album. The mix of big, bold rock songs like No Line , Magnificent and Breathe, and the more meditative and mature songs like Cedars and Moment of Surrender.

That would be a good direction for them to go. And probably more likely than them doing some sort of atmospheric ands artsy Unforgettable Fire meets Passengers thing.

Had a thought - All My Life may be a perfect tune for Sing 2 - fits the character Bono is meant to be playing, joyful, uplifting, catchy… probably the kind of song they like but don’t know what to do with…

Get out of my head. Thought the exact same. Which is a shame bc it really belongs on a full U2 album

LOL. There's plenty terrible to write about. But the problem is that they don't write about it these modern political problems well. One need look no further than Get Out and American Soul. And people are annoyed enough already with Bono. Getting preachy about Trump and stuff really doesn't attract anyone.

And these type of issues don't result in the "darker" U2 I'm talking about. They just throw some cliche's into a bouncy song about love will heal it all and... splat.

I think they still could have some Dirty Day's, or Sleep Like a Baby Tonight's, or Stay's or Running to Stand Still's in them. It's getting real emotion back behind them, letting the Edge break loose again, and steering well clear of the latest bullshit that's going on. Even their biggest hits like WOWY, Still Haven't Found, and One... They all have a bit of this darker edge of desperation, longing, struggle about them. THAT's what they have been about.

Not:
Fight back
Don't take it lyin' down, you got to bite back
The face of liberty's startin' to crack
She had a plan until she got a smack in the mouth
And it all went South
Like freedom
The slaves are lookin' for someone to lead 'em
The master's lookin' for someone to need him
The promised land is there for those who need it most
And Lincoln's ghost said
Get out of your own way

I think there one shot at doing something great, but something they will never do. Pull a Zooropa, and shut themselves away with 1 or 2 producers, and whatever comes out in 2 months is the final album. I personally think that if they still have any goodwill with Eno or Lanois, that teaming one of them up with maybe Barlow or Flood could yield interesting results. Leave Lillywhite and obviously Tedder out of it for once.

right but COVID isn't really a political issue - it's only made out to be one by assholes and people who post at TalkU2.

I'd argue that Bono's best subject from a writing standpoint is mortality - be it his mother's or his own. that or maybe addiction.

so yea - i could see some good lyrics coming out of this.

and yes, i could absolutely see an attempt at some uplifting cheese - but man, it's been a dark ass two years.

Ordinary Spring

The Prez wants to take a golden shower
The tanning bed warms his skin
All the hatred that's been lost before seems to find us again

I can't see you any more, you're behind a mask and a locked door
The right throws rocks at Fauci but praises drinking bleach

We can't fall any further if
We can't enjoy ordinary spring
And we can't reach any higher,
If we can't live through ordinary spring

Chopper flies high in the summer sky on the way to Walter Reed.
The same Docs won't take care of you and I.
We'll build immunity with a sneeze.

Gladly rolled up my sleeve
But you listened to the Carney Barker?
Who would believe that the world couldn't unite for a day

'Cause we can't fall any further if

Are we tough enough to survive ordinary spring?

We can't fall any further, if

The Prez wants to take a golden shower
The tanning bed warms his skin
All the hatred that's been lost before seems to find us again

I can't see you any more, you're behind a mask and a locked door
The right throws rocks at Fauci but praises drinking bleach

Chopper flies high in the summer sky on the way to Walter Reed.
The same Docs won't take care of you and I.
We'll build immunity with a sneeze.

Gladly rolled up my sleeve
But you listened to the Carney Barker?
Who would believe that the world couldn't unite for a day

'Cause we can't fall any further if

Are we tough enough to survive ordinary spring?

We can't fall any further, if

:applaud::applaud::applaud:

well done

For better or worse, I guess there is a very real possibility that children will be running a U2 song into the ground soon. I know not every song in a CGI movie becomes Let It Go, but I'm chuckling at the thought of my friends' kids becoming obsessed with a '2 song.

I wonder if they had the song recorded and ready for the movie's original release date(s) (Dec '20 and July '21), or if the delays allowed them to slip one on in.

Everyone remember when our kids ran the Stevie Wonder song from Sing into the ground?

No?

LOL. Yeah, I think the song will not become some huge ever present thing like Titanic, Lion King, The Bodyguard, Robin Hood, Frozen, etc... I do think that there is some potential for it to get some airplay, but that will depend on what it's like.

Gone are the days of the big movie soundtracks and especially them crossing over to radio. Even Frozen didn't really do that. Notice all the examples I listed (other than Frozen) were from the 90's, sooooo...

Back
Top Bottom