Next Album Rumours Thread IV - 2 Sing 2 Furious - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2021, 11:48 AM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
I'd bump Desire up a couple notches. And Discotheque is so fucking good. Even though the US didn't understand it, the quality of the track should bump it up to at least #9 or 10
I know what you mean. I think it's the fact that it was paired with the Village People video, it just was... unfortunate. If they had started with Gone, or Staring at the Sun and then maybe moved to Disco, (and it had a totally different video) things would have been different. I just think the combo of the song/video leading off the introduction to POP, did much more harm than good.

And yes it is a good song, and that drop out guitar riff is incredible.

As for Desire... this is probably the ONE time I would say they should have gone with the tune that didn't totally represent the album. I mean they had All I Want is You just sitting there! They were coming off the Joshua Tree. All I Want would have been an automatic number one hit for several weeks. Desire to me would have been the perfect second single.

womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:48 AM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:51 PM
so when Sing was released - the Stevie Wonder track came out about a month before the movie.

So conceivably that would mean that we are roughly a month or so away from a new U2 track.

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:52 AM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
I know what you mean. I think it's the fact that it was paired with the Village People video, it just was... unfortunate. If they had started with Gone, or Staring at the Sun and then maybe moved to Disco, (and it had a totally different video) things would have been different. I just think the combo of the song/video leading off the introduction to POP, did much more harm than good.

And yes it is a good song, and that drop out guitar riff is incredible.
the leaks and hype, which interference was of course a part of, was all about how U2 were releasing a dance album. it wasn't actually true, but by releasing Discotheque first, complete with mirror ball video and Village People dance off? And a press conference where they played a B Side off the album?

Man - what a blown opportunity. Gone, Last Night On Earth, Staring At The Sun - any of the straightforward rock songs - could have completely changed the trajectory of the album.

it was equally annoying that when Staring At The Sun finally came out it had such a great video - back when such things mattered.

Old 10-08-2021, 11:59 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
the leaks and hype, which interference was of course a part of, was all about how U2 were releasing a dance album. it wasn't actually true, but by releasing Discotheque first, complete with mirror ball video and Village People dance off? And a press conference where they played a B Side off the album?

Man - what a blown opportunity. Gone, Last Night On Earth, Staring At The Sun - any of the straightforward rock songs - could have completely changed the trajectory of the album.

it was equally annoying that when Staring At The Sun finally came out it had such a great video - back when such things mattered.

Yes. Yes. and Yes!

Strangely, coming off of Zooropa, Any of the three songs you named would have been seen as U2 "returning to form" as any of them feel a bit Achtung Babyesque.

I forgot about them playing Holy Joe. WTAF?!?!

Also, I breezed through the POP ABC special the other day on YouTube. OMG! It was so terrible. And the fact that they set themselves up with the narrative - I'm paraphrasing here- "This can't just be a great album, It has to be better than Achtung Baby, better than The Joshua Tree. It can't just be a huge tour, it has to be bigger and badder than ZooTV,"

I mean REALLY?!?!
Old 10-08-2021, 12:01 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Also The Staring at the Sun video is us seeing U2's instant remorse and wake up call post-Discotheque.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Yes. Yes. and Yes!

Strangely, coming off of Zooropa, Any of the three songs you named would have been seen as U2 "returning to form" as any of them feel a bit Achtung Babyesque.

I forgot about them playing Holy Joe. WTAF?!?!

Also, I breezed through the POP ABC special the other day on YouTube. OMG! It was so terrible. And the fact that they set themselves up with the narrative - I'm paraphrasing here- "This can't just be a great album, It has to be better than Achtung Baby, better than The Joshua Tree. It can't just be a huge tour, it has to be bigger and badder than ZooTV,"

I mean REALLY?!?!
the sun truly did melt their wings that night.

part of this is why i do separate out the Pop mistake from all of the other mistakes. No Line, the Apple Thing - these were attempts to stay on top There's a sense of desperation, pandering and going against their instincts in a chase for relevancy with their late career mistakes.

Pop was straight hubris. They just thought they were in a place where their shit just didn't stink and they could do whatever the hell they wanted.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:20 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:51 AM
I think that SATS video is slick and generic. Give me the one with all the candid footage from Cuba any day.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:50 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

(upbeat rock music continues)
Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:02 PM   #49
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Mofo should have been the lead single. I loved Discotheque at the time and still do but its similarity to the Fly was disappointing. It was also disappointing how Pop's sequencing mirrored that of Achtung. I like how they thought their shit didn't stink and that they could do whatever they wanted - bands their size have earned that right.

My Pop single choices would have been:

Mofo
Gone
Staring at the Sun
Do You Feel Loved
Playboy Mansion
Last Night on Earth

Please was a weird choice. If God Will...was a weird choice. I don't think it's a very good song, either.
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:34 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
Mofo should have been the lead single. I loved Discotheque at the time and still do but its similarity to the Fly was disappointing. It was also disappointing how Pop's sequencing mirrored that of Achtung. I like how they thought their shit didn't stink and that they could do whatever they wanted - bands their size have earned that right.

My Pop single choices would have been:

Mofo
Gone
Staring at the Sun
Do You Feel Loved
Playboy Mansion
Last Night on Earth

Please was a weird choice. If God Will...was a weird choice. I don't think it's a very good song, either.
God I do love Mofo. At that time, with videos being important companion pieces to songs, i can see it working as the lead single with a cool video. Do You Feel Loved has always been a favorite of mine as well.

I think Please was also sort of a shot at saying - Hey, look, we're still doing emotional songs about the troubles. This album isn't just dance oriented. Although not a great single choice, still a great song.

Also agree that If God Will Send... is probably in my bottom 2 or 3 songs on the album.

And as for them being too cocky. Yes they earned it. But there's a difference in being confident and ballsy, and actually publicly stating the bar that you need to reach for it to be viewed as a success. That's just unnecessary and pretty stupid.

You also have to have the goods to back it up. If they had made the right first single choice and accompanying rollout, AND the album was really better than AB or JT, then yeah, you're safer. But none of those things happened.
When U2 was saying - "We don't need em" to the "pop" kids during ZooTV, and opening the show with 8 songs straight from the new album. THAT was confident and ballsy. And they backed it up in spades.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:28 AM   #51
War Child

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Mofo, still one of their best imo. The album - version could've been a killer of a single. U2 at top of their 'exploring' nineties. The song is timeless. It still gives me the thrills if it comes out loud of my my speakers
wolbersu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
Mofo should have been the lead single. I loved Discotheque at the time and still do but its similarity to the Fly was disappointing.
Gone might be the best track on the album, but I think it works better as a deep cut than a single. And I think it resonates more with longtime fans than with the casual ones that a lead single should be targeting. It's not exactly a sing-along track.

Discotheque was a good dance/rock hybrid but yes the flippancy of the video and the overall PR for the album was not the right mix at the right time.

Staring at the Sun is an anthemic ballad that I don't think would be the right fit as the lead. It was a perfect choice for the second single but the mainstream crowd had thrown up their hands and walked away by that point, so that's why it didn't save the album.

Mofo is only good if you're legitimately trying to scare or shock people, and I don't think that's the vibe or intent for Pop. Numb worked well for Zooropa, but this was meant to be a BIG album as opposed to a mid-tour diversion, and Mofo is anything but welcoming to the radio crowd.

The clear answer for me has always been Last Night on Earth. It's more of a rock song but it still sounds "modern" and slightly weird, and doesn't betray the sound of the album. It has a huge chorus. Thematically it really fits in with the crisis of faith that ties the whole album together. To me it's got a bigger umbrella that allows old and new fans in.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:20 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

I’ll go on forever saying that U2 should have kept Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill me off that stupid Batman soundtrack and it should have been the first single from Pop.

A one-two punch of Hold Me... and Last Night On Earth would have been incredible and I think Pop and Popmart would have done much better.
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:05 PM   #54
New Yorker

Dark experimental U2 is never happening again guys I’m sorry to break it to you.

If we’re lucky we will get one more up tempo lightly produced album like Boy or War.
Gonna Run 2 U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:37 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I’ll go on forever saying that U2 should have kept Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill me off that stupid Batman soundtrack and it should have been the first single from Pop.

A one-two punch of Hold Me... and Last Night On Earth would have been incredible and I think Pop and Popmart would have done much better.
So true. imagine POP with HMTMKMKM and no Miami. hmmmmm
Old 10-10-2021, 11:41 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Gone might be the best track on the album, but I think it works better as a deep cut than a single. And I think it resonates more with longtime fans than with the casual ones that a lead single should be targeting. It's not exactly a sing-along track.

Discotheque was a good dance/rock hybrid but yes the flippancy of the video and the overall PR for the album was not the right mix at the right time.

Staring at the Sun is an anthemic ballad that I don't think would be the right fit as the lead. It was a perfect choice for the second single but the mainstream crowd had thrown up their hands and walked away by that point, so that's why it didn't save the album.

Mofo is only good if you're legitimately trying to scare or shock people, and I don't think that's the vibe or intent for Pop. Numb worked well for Zooropa, but this was meant to be a BIG album as opposed to a mid-tour diversion, and Mofo is anything but welcoming to the radio crowd.

The clear answer for me has always been Last Night on Earth. It's more of a rock song but it still sounds "modern" and slightly weird, and doesn't betray the sound of the album. It has a huge chorus. Thematically it really fits in with the crisis of faith that ties the whole album together. To me it's got a bigger umbrella that allows old and new fans in.
Very good analysis here. Last Night is sort of like Achtung meets Bomb style. big chorus, catchy and a good groove, represents the sound of the album and is completely non-alienating . Would have played well on both rock and alternative stations at the time,
Old 10-10-2021, 01:56 PM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Very good analysis here. Last Night is sort of like Achtung meets Bomb style. big chorus, catchy and a good groove, represents the sound of the album and is completely non-alienating . Would have played well on both rock and alternative stations at the time,

But that video …
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
So true. imagine POP with HMTMKMKM and no Miami. hmmmmm

Honestly Miami isn’t the song I’d cut - I’d take If God Will Send His Angels off and give that to a movie instead. Wasn’t it on the City of Angels soundtrack?
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Honestly Miami isn’t the song I’d cut - I’d take If God Will Send His Angels off and give that to a movie instead. Wasn’t it on the City of Angels soundtrack?
LOL. That's so funny. I was driving home from the store and I thought... Ya know, Miami is not horrible and really belongs on POP. If God Would Send... i probably the one that should go.
And they did some pretty killer live performances of Miami.

great minds!
Old 10-10-2021, 04:16 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
But that video …
Seriously what happened to U2's video budget? Achtung Baby had incredible videos, especially the first 3 singles. Then a few years later POP's videos suck (for the most part).