Next Album Rumours Thread III - The Gospel of Adam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well he does look like Moses these days...

Adam%20Clayton.JPG

Adam went from the coolest looking bass player to Gandalf The White. I kind of like it..

(I assume he'll clean up before next tour, haha)

Lo, there was a declaration of album cuts;
the psalms and songs not heard in ages.
And a single commandment:
“Thou shalt not take Pop’s name in vain.”
Together, the mothers of the disappeared
and the posters of the interfered waited,
praying and sometimes raving,
that there’d be no line to sign next time.

This is a shame, but not that surprising.

U2 aren't really a band to spontaneously put out a relatively experimental album like Taylor Swift at this stage in their career, as fun as that might be. Feels like they're too calculated and process based for that.

Wouldn't be surprised if they thought there was no point getting the album process started in earnest if they couldn't do a big promo tour/live debuts, then a stadium tour. They're probably waiting for things to settle back down to 'normal' before they start seriously working on something.

...he mentions that they want to go back and finish a project they started last year. (2019)

“It’s very, very fresh. We’ve cut everything quite quickly. We’re coming to things in a shorthand way. The feedback we get from that is pretty good. We want to be quick, down and dirty with the next one.”

But also:

But he admits that they have not recorded anything this year.

:huh:

These comments are old are they not? Read them ages ago.

Yes, but the interview with Adam is new, he just refers back to the "work" they started in 2019 which are those comments.

Its no surprise though is it. I guess the thing is that local touring will probably start up in some countries next Spring/Summer, but globetrotting massive tours for bands like U2 might not be possible/practical/profitable until 2022?

Which is probably neither here nor there given how slow they are to work and release new material.

Earliest for any U2 is gonna be Fall 2021 but I'm betting on Spring/Summer 2022 w/ a big tour.

I think for 2021 the concert industry is mostly going to be playing catchup after 2020, at best. I have tickets for concerts that were rescheduled for next June, and I'm kind of doubting those will be able to happen. If everything CAN go ahead as planned next summer, venues are going to be swamped with rescheduled 2020 shows in addition to some new 2021 shows.

Therefore, I think U2 will be called upon to stage a massive tour in 2022 to help give the concert industry a much needed boost. The timing works anyway, because U2 were probably planning to not tour until 2022 at the earliest anyway. My prediction is that they'll do a new album/tour rollout in early 2022. I guarantee that Edge has been working away on musical ideas, Bono on lyrics and conceptual ideas for the next album, and those two have probably at least been working together on things. Adam and Larry aren't probably needed for a lot of the legwork.

I think the timeline for the next album and tour won't really be affected by covid, because we already knew a long break was coming in 2020-2021 anyway.

I can't blame them for taking the opportunity of the world slowing down to chill. Plus, I guess Bono's had his book to work on. It was just jarring to hear that they hadn't done really done anything in 2020. I guess those few soundbites from various folks over the Summer made it seem like happenings were more current than they were.

I wonder if Oceania will all of a sudden have an embarrassment of touring riches over the next couple of years.

I can't blame them for taking the opportunity of the world slowing down to chill. Plus, I guess Bono's had his book to work on. It was just jarring to hear that they hadn't done really done anything in 2020. I guess those few soundbites from various folks over the Summer made it seem like happenings were more current than they were.

I wonder if Oceania will all of a sudden have an embarrassment of touring riches over the next couple of years.

I would be surprised if NO progress has been made on the album this year. But like I said, probably just Bono and Edge writing songs and ideas. They probably know that they don't have to release an album until late 2021 - early 2022, so they decided to just chill for the year.

So I was listening to Tom Cruise screaming at crew members today for breaking COVID protocols on set, and I naturally thought of Bono.

Mostly because of his focus on jobs and the movie industry and how people — carpenters, HMU, coordinators, the hundreds of people involved in making movies who don’t make millions or even close — are looking at this movie shooting in Europe and hoping they can make it happen so that others movies can be shot and more people will have jobs. A U2 tour probably employs more people than anyone else in the music industry. No one goes bigger or more technical or more global. That’s a lot of people who will be working for 2-3 years, and in a gig industry, that’s a big deal. There is a gigantic U2 corporation and its viability rests now on how many concert tickets they can sell.

It probably doesn’t make sense to release an album unless there’s a tour to follow. It’s such a monumental event, releasing an album, or it has been, because at this point in their career a new album would have to have a point. And that point is usually a tour.

Sure, Taylor Swift tours big, but her albums are bulletproof these days so she has room to do what the fuck she wants. She won’t be as bulletproof when she’s 60. Probably.

Next year is the 30th for Acthung Baby, so I think they can do a stream concert of sorts. Perform AB and other rarites. It'll get some buzz and let everyone know were still here (hopefully Adam shaves by then). If Bono releases his book and maybe they'll release the JT concert/film.

With all that possibly being in the pipeline they'll have sometime to talk/speculate about the new album/songs.

A U2 tour in 2022 will be huge for the touring industry. The demand will be high as people will want to see any show. I just figured this could be U2's swan song for massive stadium shows. Do something bigger than the 360...

We'll see though, hopefull wishing.

It's crazy to me that they didn't release either the Corbijn-shot JT 30 film, or have a commercial release of Experience + Innocence in Berlin this year.

People were mostly sitting at home the last 9 months not being able to see any live music, why not take advantage of this hostage audience wanting to get a little taste of what they're missing?

It's crazy to me that they didn't release either the Corbijn-shot JT 30 film, or have a commercial release of Experience + Innocence in Berlin this year.

People were mostly sitting at home the last 9 months not being able to see any live music, why not take advantage of this hostage audience wanting to get a little taste of what they're missing?

I know. It makes no sense. Maybe they weren't happy with the final product?

Surprised we didn’t atleast get a JT tour release this year or atleast an official EI Tour video bc that’s 2 years now. Hopefully we get the book + atleast one of those next year and perhaps the other tour release early 2022 then new album and massive tour.

The JT30 film was set to be released in theatres in the summer but covid fucked that up. It's coming out next year.

The lack of E&I is strange though.

The JT30 film was set to be released in theatres in the summer but covid fucked that up. It's coming out next year.

The lack of E&I is strange though.

Hope so, correction on my earlier post though, we did get EI Berlin DVD through the fan club so hopefully Bono’s book + JT Tour Movie Release/DVD next year.

Speaking of E&I, I went looking for a DVD rip or saved copy of the stream and couldn’t find anything. Looked on all the usual dodgy pirate / torrent sites. Was surprised there was nothing. The 1 hour special that leaked a while back is so damn good, I am desperate to see all of it.

Back
Top Bottom