Next Album Rumours Thread III - The Gospel of Adam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speaking of E&I, I went looking for a DVD rip or saved copy of the stream and couldn’t find anything. Looked on all the usual dodgy pirate / torrent sites. Was surprised there was nothing. The 1 hour special that leaked a while back is so damn good, I am desperate to see all of it.

What one hour special was that?

What one hour special was that?

I assume this meant the 1 hour cut of the E&I Berlin show (just the “Experience” section).

I don't mind helping people find things which aren’t otherwise available but as it can still be had right now - in 4K! - from U2.com, I think that’s probably the best route to watch the whole thing.

I swear the band has the same answers for new music over the last two decades.

Bono with hyperbole.
Edge says the most vague , lost in the music
Adam states they are working, could release something but they really need to finish the songs. By finishing he actually means start them
Larry........

Speaking of E&I, I went looking for a DVD rip or saved copy of the stream and couldn’t find anything. Looked on all the usual dodgy pirate / torrent sites. Was surprised there was nothing. The 1 hour special that leaked a while back is so damn good, I am desperate to see all of it.

Same.

I have the DVD but thought there would be an HD rip online somewhere.

...he mentions that they want to go back and finish a project they started last year. (2019)

“It’s very, very fresh. We’ve cut everything quite quickly. We’re coming to things in a shorthand way. The feedback we get from that is pretty good. We want to be quick, down and dirty with the next one.”

But also:

But he admits that they have not recorded anything this year.

:huh:

Maybe did not want to put themselves and the studio crew in danger....Corona and all.

Berlin and/or JT dvds next year. Go via HBO or Netflix ...

Then, after the virus is under control, roll out AB30 in 2022.

I don't remember who here said it was just a whiny minority still complaining about the SOI release, but there's now a meme going around in multiple versions that says "The Covid vaccine will NOT contain a microchip but will have U2's new album".

Just in case you thought it was going away.

I don't remember who here said it was just a whiny minority still complaining about the SOI release, but there's now a meme going around in multiple versions that says "The Covid vaccine will NOT contain a microchip but will have U2's new album".

That’s hilarious. Like they say even bad publicity is good publicity.

Think it was me,and I have noticed these memes. The internet NEVER forgets,or forgives.[emoji1787]

Maybe did not want to put themselves and the studio crew in danger....Corona and all.

I saw an interesting shot piece from Netflix about Trent Reznor & Atticus Recording the score for Mank which has orchestral & big band pieces - looks like they were shipping out studio-quality mics to musicians, getting their pieces recorded remotely and then piecing it all together.

I suspect U2 will all get together (virtually?) in the New Year armed with ideas, or as Adam says, they'll revisit material which has been sitting on the shelf. There's not going to be any rush to do anything given the traditional album & tour cycle they do and the state of the world at the moment.

attn: Guy Oseary

Dionne Warwick’s social media is better managed than U2’s.

Just noticed that Brian Eno was on 'Close To The Edge' a couple of weeks ago.

One can only wish they rekindle their musical collaboration again...

Eno, Edge, Lanois, Fripp...

giphy.gif

Remember this advert from five years ago? What was that song at the end?

Sounds very much like early U2. Whatever it was, much better than the limp saccharine shite Ryan Tedder gave to the band*.

*Obligatory shoe horned Ryan Tedder criticism

Remember this advert from five years ago? What was that song at the end?

Sounds very much like early U2. Whatever it was, much better than the limp saccharine shite Ryan Tedder gave to the band*.

*Obligatory shoe horned Ryan Tedder criticism

I actually think about this quite a lot. Sounds like a modernized Boy or October sound. Really like it.

One of the riffs was very fly like

The one with Bono or whomever was backing vocals reminded me of Blow Your House Down

I actually think about this quite a lot. Sounds like a modernized Boy or October sound. Really like it.

Absolutely! I know they have modernized this sound to an extent recently (Volcano, Invisible, Reach Me Now, Red Flag Day, even Ordinary Love somewhat), but I would still like to see them explore this sound more.

The recent songs inspired by that era are some of the best ones and I don't think that's an accident. For all the changes in their sound over the years, to me, the early sound and especially, energy, never quite went away. We can find signs of it on every album and tour. It seems to be not only their original DNA, but the strongest part of it.

There are so many examples, but a few stand out. For all the bells and whistles of Zoo TV and Popmart, there's lots of times watching the performances that you can easily see the same urgency and earnest energy present in the early years. On JT, especially on leg 1 in smaller arenas, Streets was introduced as the story of U2 forming, taking a leap of faith and trying to make it in the world together. In both theme and sound, the early U2 elements of the song were emphasized. In the 2000s, Beautiful Day and City of Blinding Lights, in live performances, have similarly had way more of an early U2 sound and energy than portrayed on the record.

Point is, they seem to be never far from this part of their career, so I don't think they've yet modernized the sound to its full potential. It's just such an exciting, urgent sound.

Also, this was 7 years ago tonight!

Unbelievable on so many levels. I remember all of us here being so optimistic about this being the start to the 2014 campaign. Everything suggested it would be full speed ahead from here. This era, with a little bit of time, still stands out to me. Makes the Apple incident and bike accident seem all the more unfortunate. They really seemed to know what they were going for, they believed in it, and presented themselves well. Performances such as this and Ordinary Love on the couch were fantastic, same for later European promo performances. Hell, even after the bike accident and backlash from the Apple saga, they still came roaring back, seemingly unbothered by the entire setback, and embarked on one of the best tours of their career.

There was an authenticity and comfort to the Innocence era that didn't lend itself to any cringeworthy moments like Boots at the Grammy's or Get Out on the barge. There was also an appetite for new U2 music, as it had been 5 years since NLOTH and a solid 3 since the end of 360. If just a couple things didn't go wrong, I think we're looking at a very relevant and memorable era. As it was, the whole era did give me an Elevation 2.0 vibe. What could have been.......

However, watching this video hits me on a whole new level tonight. The whole world was in such a different and comparatively innocent place. COVID wasn't even thought of, and there was everyone, in the epicenter of the US outbreak, all together enjoying U2 on top of a skyscraper. Personally, I was in a good place in life at that time. I also had an amazing experience 5 years later in Manhattan in September 2019. That trip included my first NYC rooftop experience, and since, the overwhelming majesty and sense of awe you get looking at that skyline has fascinated me.

I'm hoping someday soon, we're back to seeing U2 in settings like this.

Last edited:
the past 7 years have really been rough (perhaps even TUF) on Bono. poor guy.

invisible is an awesome song, filled with adrenaline and longing, and i'm sorry it didn't go how they wanted.

Unbelievable on so many levels. I remember all of us here being so optimistic about this being the start to the 2014 campaign. Everything suggested it would be full speed ahead from here. This era, with a little bit of time, still stands out to me. Makes the Apple incident and bike accident seem all the more unfortunate. They really seemed to know what they were going for, they believed in it, and presented themselves well. Performances such as this and Ordinary Love on the couch were fantastic, same for later European promo performances. Hell, even after the bike accident and backlash from the Apple saga, they still came roaring back, seemingly unbothered by the entire setback, and embarked on one of the best tours of their career.

There was an authenticity and comfort to the Innocence era that didn't lend itself to any cringeworthy moments like Boots at the Grammy's or Get Out on the barge. There was also an appetite for new U2 music, as it had been 5 years since NLOTH and a solid 3 since the end of 360. If just a couple things didn't go wrong, I think we're looking at a very relevant and memorable era. As it was, the whole era did give me an Elevation 2.0 vibe. What could have been.......

However, watching this video hits me on a whole new level tonight. The whole world was in such a different and comparatively innocent place. COVID wasn't even thought of, and there was everyone, in the epicenter of the US outbreak, all together enjoying U2 on top of a skyscraper. Personally, I was in a good place in life at that time. I also had an amazing experience 5 years later in Manhattan in September 2019. That trip included my first NYC rooftop experience, and since, the overwhelming majesty and sense of awe you get looking at that skyline has fascinated me.

I was there and it was so god damn cold.

Thx for sharing, haven’t heard Invisible in awhile and forgot how great it is.

I was there and it was so god damn cold.

:lol: It was one of those nights that just looked cold! As good as everyone performed, you can see they're struggling with it, too.

Thx for sharing, haven’t heard Invisible in awhile and forgot how great it is.

Of course!

Invisible, more than any other U2 song I can think of now, is the one I always forget how good it is until something reminds me to revisit it.

Amazing song. I'll never forget waking up from a nap and playing it for the first time during the Super Bowl that year.

Ordinary Love is pretty great, too.

I get similar feelings when I revisit it.

[emoji38] It was one of those nights that just looked cold! As good as everyone performed, you can see they're struggling with it, too.

Of course!

Invisible, more than any other U2 song I can think of now, is the one I always forget how good it is until something reminds me to revisit it.

Amazing song. I'll never forget waking up from a nap and playing it for the first time during the Super Bowl that year.

Ordinary Love is pretty great, too.

I get similar feelings when I revisit it.
I wanna say the temperature was in the upper 20s on the ground, which is cold. Except it was also 900 feet in the air, which is colder. At night. Think they filmed it just after sundown. Played the song twice and called it a day.

Back
Top Bottom