Next Album Rumours Thread III - The Gospel of Adam - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #621
War Child

Local Time: 10:35 AM
I dunno, I'm still reading Adam's comments as being in the context of new music.

When he says 'the songs that we have' I think he's referring to the new tunes they've been working up, whatever they are. Especially considering he's describing the project as 'embryonic,' which doesn't seem to imply reworking old songs.

What I'm reading is classic U2 talk in the early stages of an album. Right now, it's all acoustic and bare. Edge is reworking things - Edge, always the scapegoat for the album's delay, is 'putting things in different keys and trying them on piano' - which means that these songs aren't anywhere close to being done. Soon, it'll be time to record and I guarantee you that we'll hear about all the exciting sonic directions they're heading in. Then the album will be "just about done." Then The Edge will get blamed for the band deciding to scrap everything and re-record the entire album. Bono will come up with some ridiculous way of describing the recording process, like "Edge is the accountant of the band and he's making sure the books are balanced," or something stupid like that. Then some new 'fresh' ears (Tedder, or something like Tedder) will get brought in to push this thing across the finish line. I'm sure we'll get the obligatory Lilywhite involvement. And then, what was once described as acoustic and bare and Johnny Cash/Leonard Cohen will sound....just like every other U2 album released since 2000.

Or maybe I'm just being a downer.

The John Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:45 PM   #622
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:35 AM
It’d be cool to see U2 go to the studio with another band again, maybe exchange albums and do a full album cover.

LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:46 PM   #623
Blue Crack Distributor

Bono Jovi
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #624
Blue Crack Supplier

Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:44 PM   #625
Refugee

Have a Beautiful Day
Bad/Medicine
Lay Your Hands That Built America
Blaze of Gloria
Runaway Stand Still

…I feel unclean
DeVaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:19 PM   #626
Blue Crack Supplier

In and Out of Ordinary Love
Wake Up Dead or Alive Man
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:23 PM   #627
Blue Crack Distributor

Living On An American Prayer
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:49 PM   #628
Blue Crack Addict

Much like Bon Jovi, I can’t come up with anything good
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:52 PM   #629
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Someday I’ll be “Saturday Night”

Always....
The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:53 PM   #630
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Living On An American Prayer
Ip
Old 06-15-2021, 06:24 PM   #631
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Much like Bon Jovi, I can’t come up with anything good

Yeah, let's end this nonsense now.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:42 PM   #632
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:35 AM
You Give Love & Peace A Bad Name
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:29 AM   #633
War Child

+

=
pacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #634
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The John Tree View Post
I dunno, I'm still reading Adam's comments as being in the context of new music.

When he says 'the songs that we have' I think he's referring to the new tunes they've been working up, whatever they are. Especially considering he's describing the project as 'embryonic,' which doesn't seem to imply reworking old songs.

What I'm reading is classic U2 talk in the early stages of an album. Right now, it's all acoustic and bare. Edge is reworking things - Edge, always the scapegoat for the album's delay, is 'putting things in different keys and trying them on piano' - which means that these songs aren't anywhere close to being done. Soon, it'll be time to record and I guarantee you that we'll hear about all the exciting sonic directions they're heading in. Then the album will be "just about done." Then The Edge will get blamed for the band deciding to scrap everything and re-record the entire album. Bono will come up with some ridiculous way of describing the recording process, like "Edge is the accountant of the band and he's making sure the books are balanced," or something stupid like that. Then some new 'fresh' ears (Tedder, or something like Tedder) will get brought in to push this thing across the finish line. I'm sure we'll get the obligatory Lilywhite involvement. And then, what was once described as acoustic and bare and Johnny Cash/Leonard Cohen will sound....just like every other U2 album released since 2000.

I read it as acoustic for new material as well, God only knows if something like that actually comes to fruition though with their constant flow of ideas not equaling something tangible
zoocarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #635
Refugee

Coming into this thread to catch up every few weeks, this acoustic nonsense is the most depressing yet.

The quote about Stuck in A Moment being the blueprint is the worst news possible to me as that is one of the few u2 songs that I genuinely hate. I do agree the acoustic version is better of it though, only because the original is such garbage.

As for the discussion about acoustic versions ever being as good as the originals. Check out the band Manchester Orchestra. Every album they do they do acoustic versions of everything, and just about every song is as good or better acoustically. They even did a companion albums (Cope & Hope) that was total reimagined as acoustic/atmospheric versions and it has many songs that are better that way.
jphelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:44 PM   #636
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

I agree with everything you said. He’s definitely talking about reworking the new songs they’ve been working on for the last couple years or six. The fact that Adam thinks the album will be released later this year probably means sometime in 2022... which is still exciting for me to think about. Time goes so fast anymore, a year doesn’t really feel like a long wait anymore.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:44 PM   #637
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Double post
Old 06-17-2021, 05:53 AM   #638
Refugee

Local Time: 11:35 AM
Quote:

I've thought about it more, and I completely agree with this.

I'm starting to think the mentions of trying stuff acoustically is less indicative of an actually acoustic album, and more just a description of the very early stages, where they're trying out random stuff and they're nowhere near done.

It's probably most reflective of Edge still pursuing that "every song has to be able to work on a piano/acoustic guitar!" approach of the last two albums.

The thing that threw me was Adam saying it could come out later in the year - which sounds way more realistic for some acoustic covers than for the next album. But it wouldn't be the first time they said an album was arriving sooner than it actually does... I'm still predicting late 2022 at the earliest.
JamietheEdgefan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:10 AM   #639
The Fly

Local Time: 02:35 AM
I noticed someone mention Danger Mouse as being a possibility to produce again, but I reckon the thing with Danger Mouse is that he prefers working with younger artists/bands that can still be molded and allow him to be able to really stamp his mark on those records.

He always leaves massive fingerprints on the records he touches. U2 are rock dinosaurs and can't be molded much (especially at this stage of their career) and they wiped most of his fingerprints off of SOI.

From those more recent interviews, it appears like the Edge has a particularly strong working relationship with Declay Gaffney, (100% guarantee you he'll be involved with the next album) he's been their engineer and producer for the last 3 records (since NLOTH). Other than that U2 were reportedly recording in studio with Ryan Tedder in the first-half of 2019 unfortunately.

Then the band went on tour down-under and we haven't heard anything since then. Prior to Covid we'd assume they had continued to record in studio with Tedder and Gaffney. Not a particularly exciting duo, but it's better than the band not recording any music I guess..

I'd potentially like to see U2 work with someone like Shawn Everett - who's recently produced some pretty respectable indie-rock records from the likes of The Killers, Alabama Shakes, Kacey Musgraves, The War on Drugs.

My preferred choices would be James Murphy from LCD Soundsystem or Chris Vrenna (the drummer) and Trent Reznor, I just remembered about Vrenna's U2 contribution after listening to the Influx Mix of Elevation. It's the music video version with Lara Croft on YouTube.

That abrasive, more meatier, hard-rock (notably the percussion improvements) atmosphere he brought to the relatively tamer, more pop-orientated album version, I thought was revitalizing, and it proved to be quite a substantial upgrade over the original, in my opinion.
doxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:49 AM   #640
Refugee

Local Time: 11:35 AM
I'd love to see them work with Markus Dravs, who helped produce Florence & the Machine's 'How big, how blue, how beautiful', Arcade Fire's 'Reflektor' (along with James Murphy), and my two favourite Coldplay albums, 'Viva la Vida' and 'Mylo Xyloto'.

He seems to be involved with helping artists produce albums outside of their comfort zone, and with great results. All those albums above really showed their respective artists in new lights, whilst still making that big, stadium friendly music.

I'd be really excited to hear what U2 could do with him.

JamietheEdgefan is online now   Reply With Quote