Next Album Rumours Thread III - The Gospel of Adam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's not a hope in hell we'll get a new album this year, which means its unlikely to be in the first half of next year either, so does 2023 sound good to everyone?

It was really telling (and a bit disappointing) to hear Adam say that they don't have the appetite/urge to get an album done if they can't tour it in the usual way. I really hoped that as they got older they'd want to get more music written and out to the fans and break their usual cycle of how they do things.

it's not shocking at all that a band who is managed by the largest touring company in the world would want to hold off until they know they can tour.

but - well - they can. people are touring. gigs are being booked. the barriers that prevented travel between Europe and the US are no longer, as recently as this week.

i think there's a bit more to their silence this year (outside of We Are The People which did reasonably well all things considered) than simply not being able to tour.

everyone but Adam has had a son release new music in 2021. sons that are not necessarily trying to simply ride on daddy's coattails. obviously most know Eli and Inhaler by now, but Levi Evans released a single recently, and Ezra Mullen's band Forty Foot has also released new music this year. so i do think there may be some purposeful staying out of the spotlight to give those acts some room to breath and make or break on their own.

Bono's got his Sing 2 thing coming up shortly - with Bono expected to be heavily involved in the marketing push - and then i think we may hear a bit more from the band about their plans during that time and the ensuing months after - at least about what their next steps may be.

with Bono expected to be heavily involved .

wU-XJYwF4HGCA-g_8risXo4adQDXP3XoGl46jPnJsT2nVye8_jNmjWThzoCcS8iRO3ahOnjfqX4LiacQJXY1VKhdYpKC7dFZONNJyQ

I am now thinking album in late 2022, world tour in 2023-24. Touring outside of the US in 2022 is still going to be dicey. With Europe you have so many different countries with different Covid rules and measures, that could prove difficult to deal with. I'd like to think things will have worked themselves out by 2023, but who the hell knows anymore? Nothing is certain, and it seems vaccines were not the light at the end of the tunnel we were lead to believe they were (I say this as a happily vaccinated person, not trying to start a political / anti-vax debate).

Then there's Australia and New Zealand, who probably won't allow large public gatherings for years. The touring industry might as well scribble out those 2 countries.

I suspect Bono's book will be taking up most of his time and this year will be marked as a holiday apart from noodling on side projects and those acoustic arrangements etc. Albeit something might fall out of those sessions together, but I get the feeling they're not in a rush to do anything given how the world has been.

Back
Top Bottom