Next Album Rumours Thread III - The Gospel of Adam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2022 rolls around, and to everyone's surprise U2 acknowledges Pop for its 25th anniversary... with an acoustic re-recording of the album.

"This is how we've always heard these songs. How they were always intended to BE heard!" insists Bono. "We were still so concerned with chopping down trees at the time, that we could only fashion these tunes out of space junk..."

If they're just getting around to planning it now it's safe to say there won't be a vinyl box set, given the lead time required to press LPs. But it's not much of a loss since they'd probably just slap Sydney on wax and make a big deal of it.

the acoustic version of love is blindness on from the sky down is pretty damn good. if the rest of the songs are done in a similar fashion and released as a bonus EP or a fanclub thing then this probably won't be the unmitigated disaster you all seem to have already determined that it's going to be.

Just give us an official release of another live show other than Sydney, and we're cool.

If they're just getting around to planning it now it's safe to say there won't be a vinyl box set, given the lead time required to press LPs. But it's not much of a loss since they'd probably just slap Sydney on wax and make a big deal of it.

They enjoy being involved in record store day every year it seems. I could see them doing some sort of “new” limited acoustic vinyl of old songs for that.

At least we get a new song from the band on Sing 2. Would be pleasantly surprised if it’s good.

Last edited:
Just give us an official release of another live show other than Sydney, and we're cool.

Yes please! My friend sent me a JT 30 concert from Asia that he said was beyond amazing. It was alright. I wanted to send him back a monster of a ZooTV show, but realized there is NOTHING but Sydney. That would be great to get.

If anything I would think they could do a recorded show in a empty warehouse/arena with a stage/tribute to ZooTV. Sale it as a virtual ticket for $10-$20 thru U2.com and play AB/Zooropa songs for the fans.

I guess we'll see but I'm not getting my hopes up too much w/ the ATYCLB Anniverasy release...

Would amazing to get one show playing complete Achtung Baby and Zooropa.

Maybe instead of an empty Warehouse or a full tour. It would be cool if they did just one huge show in NY or maybe a single two night stand to get comped footage and then release that on HBO or Netflix. I feel a crowd is necessary.
A guy can dream.

the acoustic version of love is blindness on from the sky down is pretty damn good. if the rest of the songs are done in a similar fashion and released as a bonus EP or a fanclub thing then this probably won't be the unmitigated disaster you all seem to have already determined that it's going to be.

agreed.

meh, it's surprisingly not that bad

I gotta disagree. Listen to this and the original back to back. Achtung Baby is about the atmosphere, the dark pulsing distortion, the beautiful layering, and the solo's, my god the solo's.

The only ones that would be up for discussion on AB for acoustic would be Horses, Tryin To Throw..., So Cruel, aaaaand maybe Ultraviolet in a weird way..

The acoustic Fly and Love Is Blindness aren't bad, but they were part of a movie and weren't meant to stand on their own. Rerecording new acoustic arrangements of old songs & releasing them as an album or ep would be pointless and an admission that they have no new ideas worth following. I really hope nothing comes of this exercise. It seems like a huge waste of time. Just work on new stuff. If they want to record acoustic songs they should write new ones instead of rehashing old material and removing what made those songs interesting in the process.

Just lock them in a room for one year. State whatever they produce is the album. Only stick a producer or two. Whether it's Barlow, TeddyBear, D&B, or Lillywhite

Since there'll be no tours for a while thanks to antivax assholes, just see what you produce and let it stand on it's own. No pressure of what it'll sound like live, or a theme of the live shows. Produce music since 2020 has shown that there's really no promise of a tomorrow.

Rerecording new acoustic arrangements of old songs & releasing them as an album or ep would be pointless and an admission that they have no new ideas worth following.

or maybe it's just a side project that they've enjoyed making which has helped them pass the time during the pandemic until they can go back into a proper studio??

no no, re-recording some old songs in an acoustic arrangement can only mean that they are artistically bankrupt.

sheesh

Theres a good chance we won't see anything released from this acoustic project simply because the band won't have confidence in the finished product.

I gotta disagree. Listen to this and the original back to back. Achtung Baby is about the atmosphere, the dark pulsing distortion, the beautiful layering, and the solo's, my god the solo's.

The only ones that would be up for discussion on AB for acoustic would be Horses, Tryin To Throw..., So Cruel, aaaaand maybe Ultraviolet in a weird way..
I mean it's not supposed to be better than the original. There aren't many acoustic versions of songs by any artist that are actually BETTER than the original.

Clapton won a Grammy for acoustic Layla but the original still blows it away.

Acoustic takes are nice diversions. They're not meant to be better than the original.

I mean it's not supposed to be better than the original. There aren't many acoustic versions of songs by any artist that are actually BETTER than the original.

Clapton won a Grammy for acoustic Layla but the original still blows it away.

Acoustic takes are nice diversions. They're not meant to be better than the original.

“Brother” by Alice In Chains and maybe “Snuff” by Slipnot. Otherwise agreed.

or maybe it's just a side project that they've enjoyed making which has helped them pass the time during the pandemic until they can go back into a proper studio??

no no, re-recording some old songs in an acoustic arrangement can only mean that they are artistically bankrupt.

sheesh

They have been in a proper studio? They can go to a proper studio whenever they want? Edge has a studio? It's 2021, you can have a studio wherever you are?

A more sensible way to pass the time would be to work on new material, not rehash past glories.

Re-recording & RELEASING acoustic versions of old songs would be an admission of creative bankruptcy.

Re-recording acoustic versions of old songs just for the hell of it is a waste of time and a strange thing to do for a band that prizes always doing something new.

They have been in a proper studio? They can go to a proper studio whenever they want? Edge has a studio? It's 2021, you can have a studio wherever you are?

A more sensible way to pass the time would be to work on new material, not rehash past glories.

Re-recording & RELEASING acoustic versions of old songs would be an admission of creative bankruptcy.

Re-recording acoustic versions of old songs just for the hell of it is a waste of time and a strange thing to do for a band that prizes always doing something new.

This conversation is entertaining because we have another thread about U2's legacy. Now...the though of U2 putting out an acoustic album of old songs doesn't excite me one bit. But....if even one of those acoustic versions somehow turns out to be good, that's something that could revive a legacy and remind people that have been tuned out for years that "Oh yeah, U2 were fucking awesome 20 years ago". So it could have some benefits.

I've been a fan long enough to pretty much support them in whatever they do at this point; but as fans we also have strong opinions of what we want them to (or not to) do.

Waiting until the guarantee of a world tour to get serious about recording new material and playing around with acoustic versions of their back catalog gives me anything but excitement. It just comes off as have another hits compilation (in a lighter format) while you wait for us to rewrite Beautiful Day and Elevation for the fifth time.

I liked them much better when they just explored ideas and let the music take them wherever it led (The songwriting by accident philosophy) as opposed to writing based on how they think the music will be received (The "it needs to play well in a live format and have single potential before it's finished" philosophy).

It’s the hair. Dye it a more natural color or embrace gray and get a decent stylist in there. What’s the sense in going through a hair transplant if you’re just going to let it look like shit afterwards anyway?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom