Next Album Rumours Thread III - The Gospel of Adam - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #341
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Good grief it's not even top half of the album it's on, and I can't remember what half that album sounds like (that's the better half).
I agree, it's about the 4th best for me and it's on an album that I consider to be their worst. The live versions we heard were a lot better than the studio version.

An Cat Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:40 AM   #342
Refugee

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Little things is a great song,but the spotify version is better than the album version.

super fly guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:22 AM   #343
War Child

Local Time: 06:32 PM
New song by Bono and The Edge in collaboration with Martin Garrix.

https://youtu.be/kGT73GcwhCU
SecretFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:00 PM   #344
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:32 AM
Bono will appear on DMX's posthumous album, "Exodus". He will sing on the track called "Skyscrapers".

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...no-1234973748/
Dragonfave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:54 PM   #345
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfave View Post
Bono will appear on DMX's posthumous album, "Exodus". He will sing on the track called "Skyscrapers".

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/...no-1234973748/

Well this is cool.

Bono sounds great in the new song too.
Gonna Run 2 U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:58 PM   #346
The Fly

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Having a think about who should produce the next record... I hope they continue what they started with the Andy Barlow sessions.

I know lot's of people are hoping for U2 to get back together with Eno & Lanois, but I think that ship already sailed a long time ago & those guys are fast approaching their 70's now anyway, it's just doesn't seem very realistic, & they probably wouldn't want to be put through that amount of strain again..

Things just don't bode well for them working together again, I believe the last time the band mentioned them was during the SOI promo tour, when Larry said something about their relationship having run it's course/the well-running dry. And, having listened to NLOTH yesterday, I have to agree - that album has not aged well at all. It's ambitious, experimental feel is admirable, but to me it sounds extremely direction-less, weird for the sake of weird, and just doesn't resonate at all with me the same way all the other Eno & Lanois-produced albums have in the past.

I think the best move at this stage would to commit to an album entirely produced by Andy Barlow, with Declan Gaffney & Barry Gorey (aka St Francis Hotel) as co-producers. This would make sense since Barlow & Gorey went on tour with U2 and were responsible for the live sound design & arrangements for the 2017 JT-30 & 2018 E+I tour. They also produced the Europa EP & did the Gotham Experience remix of 'Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me'.

All three of these guys are firmly in the U2 camp, have the band's trust, & most importantly - will have a good understanding of how the band operate by now, so (at this point) they are in the best position of anyone as in being the most qualified to be producing the next U2 album. I would refrain from bringing in any new flavor-of-the-month producers who are unfamiliar with U2's unorthodox recording process in studio. Barlow, Gaffney, & Gorey would probably be the best move at this stage I think.
doxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:35 PM   #347
Blue Crack Distributor

i wonder who is going to get custody of Bono after Bill and Melinda's divorce hearing
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #348
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
i wonder who is going to get custody of Bono after Bill and Melinda's divorce hearing
This why a prenup is a necessity for folks like the Gateses. Now they'll be in court fighting over him:

Bill: "I don't want him, you can have him"
Melinda: "No way, I don't want him"
Bill: If I throw in an extra 3 billion, will you take him?"
Melinda: "Make it 4 billion to cover food costs and you take him 2 weekends a month and every other Thanksgiving and Christmas."
Bill: "Deal"
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #349
Blue Crack Supplier

Next Album Rumours Thread III - The Gospel of Adam

I’ve been thinking ‘bout some French toast ...
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #350
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxxer View Post
Having a think about who should produce the next record... I hope they continue what they started with the Andy Barlow sessions.

I know lot's of people are hoping for U2 to get back together with Eno & Lanois, but I think that ship already sailed a long time ago & those guys are fast approaching their 70's now anyway, it's just doesn't seem very realistic, & they probably wouldn't want to be put through that amount of strain again..

Things just don't bode well for them working together again, I believe the last time the band mentioned them was during the SOI promo tour, when Larry said something about their relationship having run it's course/the well-running dry. And, having listened to NLOTH yesterday, I have to agree - that album has not aged well at all. It's ambitious, experimental feel is admirable, but to me it sounds extremely direction-less, weird for the sake of weird, and just doesn't resonate at all with me the same way all the other Eno & Lanois-produced albums have in the past.

I think the best move at this stage would to commit to an album entirely produced by Andy Barlow, with Declan Gaffney & Barry Gorey (aka St Francis Hotel) as co-producers. This would make sense since Barlow & Gorey went on tour with U2 and were responsible for the live sound design & arrangements for the 2017 JT-30 & 2018 E+I tour. They also produced the Europa EP & did the Gotham Experience remix of 'Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me'.

All three of these guys are firmly in the U2 camp, have the band's trust, & most importantly - will have a good understanding of how the band operate by now, so (at this point) they are in the best position of anyone as in being the most qualified to be producing the next U2 album. I would refrain from bringing in any new flavor-of-the-month producers who are unfamiliar with U2's unorthodox recording process in studio. Barlow, Gaffney, & Gorey would probably be the best move at this stage I think.
agree x1000

Think it's quite likely they'll feature in the next sessions.

What's probable is that the next album, like the last 4-5, will the product of a smallish group (5 or 6?) of different producers.

Gone are the days when they work with 1-2 guys for the whole record. Their approach to recording doesn't allow for it.. they last tried with Danger Mouse but wouldn't commit to his vision alone. Band isn't keen to abandon families for months on end to live in a basement somewhere exotic. The answer of course is to commit to starting and finishing something in a limited timeframe - go record in like, Kingston Jamaica or something, for 6 weeks, and release whatever comes of it. But they don't trust themselves enough for this.

Recording sessions will be scattered over the next couple years, working from wherever they happen to be, with whoever is available/captures their muse at that point in time.

Think we just hope for some fruitful, inspired sessions, and that they get out of their own way (without recording another get out of your own way)
Registered Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:11 PM   #351
War Child

They should absolutely pick one producer to helm this next project, rather than a grab bag of producers, and that person should be Andy Barlowe - all the best tracks on SoE seem to have his name on them. He seems to be able to balance the pop sensibilities of the songs with that U2-esque atmospheric quality that takes the songs to interesting places.

Their recent work has had some baffling production choices on them - there are good songs on some of these albums that get buried under shoddy production.

My case in point is Get Out Of Your Own Way. I know that's not a popular song around here, but I quite like it and I think it had the potential to be an *actual* hit on the radio. The melody and structure of the song are solid, but the song has no lift. The chorus to Beautiful Day sounds massive because just as Bono shouts the chorus line, the guitars come in loud and take the song to another plane. On GOOYOW, the "I can sing it to you all night..." part should sound huge, but inexplicably the guitar drops out, buried in the mix. It just deflates the whole thing. By the time you *do* get an audible guitar line, just before the guitar solo, it's still too low in the mix and the song's practically over and no one cares anymore.
The John Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:19 PM   #352
War Child

The E&I tour was fine, but the only issue is that all of the iconic U2 live moments from that "era" didn't happen on the actual tour. The Harlem show, the Jimmy Fallon performance with BTBS, the BBC show with the orchestra were all amazing.
PopFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:19 PM   #353
Blue Crack Addict

I don't hate "Get Out" either. Interference always has its whipping boys, and this just happened to be the one from the album. But I will say that my biggest complaint about the song is again....TOO MANY FUCKING WORDS!

Why does Bono do this all the time??!?!
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:28 PM   #354
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Maybe he's trying to carry Edge since he clearly can't come up with a decent riff in years. Play the damn guitar!!!
BEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #355
War Child

I personally think it is finally time for The Adam Clayton Band iteration of U2.
pacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:58 PM   #356
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Maybe he's trying to carry Edge since he clearly can't come up with a decent riff in years. Play the damn guitar!!!
What’s weird about that is that before the album came out, I remember there being a couple of leaks with some really cool Edge sounds and they obviously never made the album.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:09 PM   #357
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker View Post
I personally think it is finally time for The Adam Clayton Band iteration of U2.

Most of his interviews of the last few years put him in the camp of the hardcores.
DeVaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:49 PM   #358
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
I don't hate "Get Out" either. Interference always has its whipping boys, and this just happened to be the one from the album. But I will say that my biggest complaint about the song is again....TOO MANY FUCKING WORDS!

Why does Bono do this all the time??!?!
This goes back about 20 years - since he started with Jubilee 2000/DATA/The One Campaign. He’s become a big sloganeer. To his credit, he’s actually pretty good at it. But what it means is that Bono will fall in love with a slogan or a line in his head and try to force it into a song, whether it fits or not. Sometimes it works (“there is no them, there’s only us,”), sometimes it doesn’t (“vision over visibility,” just about all of I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight).
The John Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:20 AM   #359
The Fly

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered Dude View Post
agree x1000

Think it's quite likely they'll feature in the next sessions.

What's probable is that the next album, like the last 4-5, will the product of a smallish group (5 or 6?) of different producers.

Gone are the days when they work with 1-2 guys for the whole record. Their approach to recording doesn't allow for it.. they last tried with Danger Mouse but wouldn't commit to his vision alone. Band isn't keen to abandon families for months on end to live in a basement somewhere exotic. The answer of course is to commit to starting and finishing something in a limited timeframe - go record in like, Kingston Jamaica or something, for 6 weeks, and release whatever comes of it. But they don't trust themselves enough for this.

Recording sessions will be scattered over the next couple years, working from wherever they happen to be, with whoever is available/captures their muse at that point in time.

Think we just hope for some fruitful, inspired sessions, and that they get out of their own way (without recording another get out of your own way)
If U2 ever got back with Danger Mouse to make another album, this time they should really let him produce the whole album himself. And allow him to have writing credits because that's the space he thrives, the fully-involved collaboration. I could only see it working if U2 approached it in a similar way to NLOTH, where on that occasion they allowed Eno and Lanois to take full control of the artistic direction.

I'm pretty certain that on SOI the likes of Tedder and Epworth left only left Sleep Like A Baby Tonight and The Troubles unspoiled - and those were the two best tracks on the album by far!

There was actually one poster at the atu2 forum that I used to be a member of who had a line into Danger Mouse - and from conversations with that person I would say the chances of U2 and him working together again are extremely slim unfortunately.
doxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:16 PM   #360
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxxer View Post
If U2 ever got back with Danger Mouse to make another album, this time they should really let him produce the whole album himself. And allow him to have writing credits because that's the space he thrives, the fully-involved collaboration. I could only see it working if U2 approached it in a similar way to NLOTH, where on that occasion they allowed Eno and Lanois to take full control of the artistic direction.

I'm pretty certain that on SOI the likes of Tedder and Epworth left only left Sleep Like A Baby Tonight and The Troubles unspoiled - and those were the two best tracks on the album by far!

There was actually one poster at the atu2 forum that I used to be a member of who had a line into Danger Mouse - and from conversations with that person I would say the chances of U2 and him working together again are extremely slim unfortunately.
Seems pretty clear to me that those two parties (Danger Mouse and U2) started working together with a singular vision in mind, with Danger Mouse telling them he wanted to make something conceptual and more akin to Zooropa or Pop, which he adored (this is documented). As per usual (since at least 1997) the band second-guessed the song selection and presentation and called in a litany of other, more "radio sounding" producers to dump a bunch of saccharine on something that could have been cool. They ripped the creativity and control from Danger Mouse's hands after he invested time and tabled other projects. I wouldn't work with them again either.

For the record, I think SoI, well more than SoE, had real potential to hang together. A couple song swaps and new arrangements (which by my best read is probably what DM was looking to tease out) and it could have been a damn fine record. Oh yeah, and a different release format. But we've gone over that.

HansaTonImbiss is offline   Reply With Quote