Next Album Rumours Thread II - Songs of Ass Scent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I created a 16 track compilation playlist of SOI and SOE featuring the tracks I like best and tossed in Invisible. I dunno, I just basically got rid of the fluff.

A bulk of the playlist is of SOE tracks because that album was pretty strong imho.

Agree with that take. Since HTDAAB, Bono has been so LOUD. Even in the softer songs it comes off as him being so far out in front that we can't focus on anything else.

I used to go through repeat listens of an album and focus on each instrument or the sonics going on in the background, but couldn't really do that since 2004. There were parts on NLOTH that you could, but overall it's been the Bono show

And it's too bad because like you said, the rhythm section has been very good. Edge..... meh. Only so many Walk On chord riffs in one sitting

I created a 16 track compilation playlist of SOI and SOE featuring the tracks I like best and tossed in Invisible. I dunno, I just basically got rid of the fluff.

A bulk of the playlist is of SOE tracks because that album was pretty strong imho.

Interesting to see your list. I find SOI stronger, especially the back half. SOE was a lot of fluff in my opinion. If I were to put together 16 tracks from the 2 (including B Sides), it would probably be:

Invisible
Iris (Hold Me Close)
Volcano
Raised By Wolves
Cedarwood Road
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
Reach Around
The Troubles
The Crystal Ballroom
Lucifer's Hands
Lights of Home
Summer of Love
Red Flag Day
The Little Things That Give You Away
The Blackout
Book of Your Heart

Just need to get a good running order and that's a solid album.

Why not re-releasing SOI and SOE as a double album and as a deluxe box including SOA? Would be a nice collection and something to look forward to in these boring times. ATYCLB box was not as exciting as I expected it to be.

I know.....Whisful thinking...

I'm not sure why U2 didn't just release a double album. They would have gotten praise from the media & general fans. 10 tracks for SOI and 10 tracks for SOE. Done the 2 night tour original plan. In some ways it was a double album but it would have been refreshing for a release like GNR Illusions.

SOI
Invisible
Miracle
Every Breaking Wave
Song For Someone
Raised By Wolves
Crystal Ballroom
Volcano
Sleep Like A Baby
Reach Me
Troubles

SOE
Love Is All We Have Left
Black Out
Lights of Home
Best Thing (Acoustic version or Kygo)
Red Flag Day
Summer of Love
Land Lady
Love Is Bigger
Little Things

Tried to sequence this in keeping with the “THEME!”

The Miracle (busker version)
Cedarwood Road
Raised by Wolves
Iris
Song for Someone
Every Breaking Wave (acoustic)
Volcano
There is Where You Can Reach Me
Invisible
_____
Love Is All
Lights of Home (St. Peter)
Best Thing
Red Flag Day
Crystal Ballroom
The Showman
Little Things
The Blackout
Love is Bigger

Miracle-Cedarwood-RBW set the scene.
Iris-SFS-EBW describe the emotional journey and toll
Volcano is the bridge between that and...
Reach-Invisible being the resolution to form a band and embrace the future’s potential
___
Love Is All-Lights bring us to the relative present
Best Thing-Red Flag describe the depth of now-mature emotional bonds
Crystal Ballroom-Showman-Little Things give us insight into the mindset of the band at this stage in their careers (talk of ghosts, punishing their hearts, being away from their loved ones, putting up a facade, fearing/feeling the end is near)
The Blackout is taking stock and finding reaffirmation, together
13-Love is All are the closure and epilogue

Last edited:
Tried to sequence this in keeping with the “THEME!”

The Miracle (busker version)
Cedarwood Road
Raised by Wolves
Iris
Song for Someone
Every Breaking Wave (acoustic)
Volcano
There is Where You Can Reach Me
Invisible
_____
Love Is All
Lights of Home (St. Peter)
Best Thing
Red Flag Day
Crystal Ballroom
The Showman
Little Things
The Blackout
Love is Bigger

Miracle-Cedarwood-RBW set the scene.
Iris-SFS-EBW describe the emotional journey and toll
Volcano is the bridge between that and...
Reach-Invisible being the resolution to form a band and embrace the future’s potential
___
Love Is All-Lights bring us to the relative present
Best Thing-Red Flag describe the depth of now-mature emotional bonds
Crystal Ballroom-Showman-Little Things give us insight into the mindset of the band at this stage in their careers (talk of ghosts, punishing their hearts, being away from their loved ones, putting up a facade, fearing/feeling the end is near)
The Blackout is taking stock and finding reaffirmation, together
13-Love is All are the closure and epilogue

Good stuff

I like the Irish folk ties to the 1st 3 tracks

Do you not think that Best Thing could have been a "hit" under different circumstances? I thought it was one of those radio-friendly pop songs the band writes occasionally which just needed a bit of luck or a remix which got some airplay in order to gain some traction? Hokey lyrics or not, I was surprised it didn't do better.

Its really interesting to read polar opposite views and interpretations of songs and albums on here, whether I agree with them or not. One thing I agree with in a lot of the recent posts is that they'd benefit massively on the next record from sticking to one producer and a cohesive idea/theme/approach from start to finish. It might not produce their best ever album, but I bet it produces a much more interesting album for us to digest.

I've said it before, but I think U2 are still punching above their weight in terms of the quality of new music we should reasonably expect from a band whose original lineup is still together after all these years.

I agree with all of this!

Best Thing definitely could've done a little better than it did. I do think the Kygo version would've had a better shot, but the version we got is both very U2 sounding and very 2017 sounding without being forced. It's not my favorite song or anything- and I'm not saying it was going to be a top 40, but I could've easily seen it do better.

I loved both SOI and SOE, though I prefer SOI. I too think a lot about both albums would've benefited from a single, cohesive production approach. More SOE than SOI, but it's easy to see on SOI a common vein running from Ordinary Love through Invisible, Raised by Wolves, Sleep Like A Baby, Crystal Ballroom, etc.

We've lived with the Danger Mouse tracks for 7 years now, so it's hard to remember them in the context of the first time we heard them. I remember being immediately grabbed, in a positive way, by the production on Ordinary Love. It sounded fresh, bright, effortless and even though it's a mid tempo track, energetic. The drums and the slide solo sounded like an update on their raw early sound. Same for Invisible. It was clear they had captured something there- something that would've been quite interesting sitting with for a whole album.

Reading the discussions here of both tracks, many were very optimistic about the sound they'd tapped into.

This is an interesting 'what if'.

I don't know if it could ever have reached 'Beautiful Day' levels of success, but I think if the final mix of 'Best Thing' had been more like the Kygo Remix, it could have done a lot better. The Kygo version (imo) sounded stronger, more contemporary, and very effortless and confident. I remember the leaked beach clip back in 2016, it was the first time we heard a clip of the song (it ended up being the Kygo mix), and I remember immediately liking the vibe of the track.

All of that was lost imo when they put out the final single version, which to me sounded too over the top and had a rock n' roll vibe which would have worked in 2005, but not 2017. The Kygo mix, with it's dance/electro elements, sounded more in keeping with the times, kind of how Coldplay moved from making stuff like 'Yellow' to 'A sky full of stars' in order to stay relevant in the charts.

Absolutely! I felt the same way, and though I liked the version we got enough, my criticism at the outset was "I wish it had kept more of the beach clip feel."

A bit of self respect would be decent by ditching Ryan Tedder and his rent-a-choruses and rehiring Eno - or at least somebody with a sense of artistry. Best Thing About Me, the uninspiring rent-a-chorus from The Blackout, the utter shite that is Song For Someone - that's just the surface. Never should U2 resort to such cheap and shoddy artistically bankrupt idiots like Tedder.

It's cringeworthy and downright embarrassing that they've resorted to such artistically bankrupt producers/songwriters like Tedder. Utterly embarrassing.

Bono is lyrically uninspred, with cliched platitudes all over the place on their collaborations with Tedder too. Songs of Innocence is Bono's worst effort lyrically - just really shallow. It's supposed to be autobiographical but never has something that is supposed to be intimate come off as so bland and cliched.

It's clear there's no creative muse in U2 to guide them now. Somebody like Jon Landau would point Bruce Springsteen in the direction of books and films to be inspired by. Tony Visconti would do similar with Bowie. U2 are so uninspired and that screams when they're hiring some shallow bubblegum pop stooge like Tedder.

They're just not taking it seriously enough anymore. That's fine, what we've got is more than enough with the sheer depth of greatness from them but they really do risk harming their legacy by continuing with such folly.

Last edited:
A bit of self respect would be decent by ditching Ryan Tedder and his rent-a-choruses and rehiring Eno - or at least somebody with a sense of artistry. Best Thing About Me, the uninspiring rent-a-chorus from The Blackout, the utter shite that is Song For Someone - that's just the surface. Never has U2 resorted to such cheap and shoddy artistically bankrupt idiots like Tedder.

It's cringeworthy and downright embarrassing that they've resorted to such artistically bankrupt producers/songwriters like Tedder. Utterly embarrassing.

Bono is lyrically uninspred, with cliched platitudes all over the place on their collaborations with Tedder too. Songs of Innocence is Bono's worst effort lyrically - just really shallow. It's supposed to be autobiographical but never has something that is supposed to be intimate come off as so bland and cliched.

It's clear there's no creative muse in U2 to guide them now. Somebody like Jon Landau would point Bruce Springsteen in the direction of books and films to be inspired by. Tony Visconti would do similar with Bowie. U2 are so uninspired and that screams when they're hiring some shallow bubblegum pop stooge like Tedder.

They're just not taking it seriously enough anymore. That's fine, what we've got is more than enough with the sheer depth of greatness from them but they really do risk harming their legacy by continuing with such folly.

Have you ever tried “rent a positive attitude”? [emoji16][emoji6]

this forum is FAR more obsessed with ryan tedder than the band has ever been lol.

Agreed. It’s like everyone wants someone to blame and Tedder is it. What’s the narrative here on their failures, soulless producers or “it’s their own damn fault”?

Let’s keep in mind that the producer isn’t supposed to be their source of creativity, and if that’s who you’re blaming you’re missing the problem.

Tedder is a symptom of the root problem. Dislike the results all you want (I mostly do), but the dude’s just doing what he knows and was hired for. 4 musicians 4 decades into an outright legendary career should have a better handle on how/where to steer the ship.
[insert Tedder ruining EBW joke here]

this forum is FAR more obsessed with ryan tedder than the band has ever been lol.

Haha that and Get Out Of Your Own Way.

This is Interference: “I’m going to express a negative opinion on the U2 off today. I think I’ll reference the song everyone shits on to give my opinion validity”

GOOEY YAWEWW

it’s not a bad song. The furthest I’ll ever criticize it is it is “toothless” but it isn’t some travesty like Best Thing

kA4Cril.gif

Haha that and Get Out Of Your Own Way.

This is Interference: “I’m going to express a negative opinion on the U2 off today. I think I’ll reference the song everyone shits on to give my opinion validity”

*SUC has entered the chat*

Back
Top Bottom