Next Album Rumours Thread II - Songs of Ass Scent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The reason they were so good is that they are rock songs that were played that way. Watered down acoustic arrangements are crap, made worse when U2 do it on account of them not being very good at it.

The band actually had a great opportunity here to do a stripped-back, partially-acoustic show of ATYCLB-era songs that could work in an Instagram or YouTube setting.

A short set like this would've been cool for casuals and diehards:

1. Kite
2. Summer Rain
3. In a Little While
4. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
5. Stuck in a Moment

Encore:
1. Sweetest Thing
2. One (cause of course they'd close with One)

Besides being a cool move for their fans, a short virtual show like this likely would have gotten much more attention on the anniversary box set than old music videos upgraded to HD.

Alas

The band actually had a great opportunity here to do a stripped-back, partially-acoustic show of ATYCLB-era songs that could work in an Instagram or YouTube setting.

A short set like this would've been cool for casuals and diehards:

1. Kite
2. Summer Rain
3. In a Little While
4. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
5. Stuck in a Moment

Encore:
1. Sweetest Thing
2. One (cause of course they'd close with One)

Besides being a cool move for their fans, a short virtual show like this likely would have gotten much more attention on the anniversary box set than old music videos upgraded to HD.

Alas
It would have been great to do that. I think most the songs from the Era could be played acoustic. I know because I've done it. The one thing with Bono not playing anything these days the band could benefit from is a synth/keyboard player if they wanted to go all acoustic. The Killers had a really cool version of Caution recorded in the bathroom last spring, different but still great.

I think the Boy tour set up would count as stripped back U2 performance. Bass, drums, guitar, a deluxe memory man, Bono. The 40th anniversary of that album is Tuesday...there's still time, guys!

Looks like no new material anytime soon:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...rview-all-that-you-cant-leave-behind-1078907/

"Final question: What’s the status of the next record?

As you know, I’m always working on ideas for U2 songs. I have a huge bag of ideas. Some of them are very developed. Some are sort of half-finished. We don’t have any plans right now, but right now I’m just enjoying writing just because it’s a great moment to get back to creative things when there’s not much else you can do.

It’s like a blank canvas and I love this phase where you really don’t have to worry too much about where it’s going. You really just go with the imagination. So, lots of great ideas going around, but I’m not sure what it will become or when it might start to take on its own identity as an album."

Maybe they just want to keep their heads down, stay isolated/safe during the pandemic (which is fair enough). But it looks like Edge is working alone and the band won't be together for a while. I had (naively) hoped that they might have met up a few times recently, but it doesn't sound like it from this.
Maybe they'll start new sessions in 2021, but who knows.

Nothing is certain right now...

I can’t accept that point about stones being greater because they were in the Beatles shadow while u2 were unobstructed either.

For a start - for that argument to hold water, then you have to acknowledge the stones had already long past their own greatness - because if they were great, then surely U2 would have been in their shadow as an active band? That means that they had 40 years of decline which HAS to negatively impact your legacy.

Secondly, U2 unobstructed? Seriously? They had Queen through the early 80s, oasis through the 90s, Coldplay in the 2000s.

All the while there was also REM, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Bowie etc.

I think Rolling Stones fans really over play their greatness - I’m not saying they weren’t great, and shouldn’t be in a conversation, but to consider them peers or on a level with the Beatles is madness.

And a little known band by the name of Radiohead.

U2's early peers were the Bunnymen, New Order, Talking Heads, the Clash, REM...not fuckin Queen.

They were doing different things on different levels. U2 didn't exist in Queen's world. They were Pavement to Queen's U2.

Looks like no new material anytime soon:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...rview-all-that-you-cant-leave-behind-1078907/

"Final question: What’s the status of the next record?

As you know, I’m always working on ideas for U2 songs. I have a huge bag of ideas. Some of them are very developed. Some are sort of half-finished. We don’t have any plans right now, but right now I’m just enjoying writing just because it’s a great moment to get back to creative things when there’s not much else you can do.

It’s like a blank canvas and I love this phase where you really don’t have to worry too much about where it’s going. You really just go with the imagination. So, lots of great ideas going around, but I’m not sure what it will become or when it might start to take on its own identity as an album."

Maybe they just want to keep their heads down, stay isolated/safe during the pandemic (which is fair enough). But it looks like Edge is working alone and the band won't be together for a while. I had (naively) hoped that they might have met up a few times recently, but it doesn't sound like it from this.
Maybe they'll start new sessions in 2021, but who knows.

Nothing is certain right now...
2024 it is then.

there is material in the can.. it's just very old material. can't see them actually releasing it

I guess.
“All My Life” sounds like the kind catchy AOR track with a tight pocket solo they could be landing with amidst the ATYCLB celebration. Perhaps not new album material but they could be doling out digital singles of older finished stuff that doesn’t fit their album plans. Yeah they have no plans. Yeah they end up reusing riffs and lyrics from the cast-off songs. Whatever. I bet there are a good handful of tracks they could release that would have a nice reception (they’re past the hit stage), keep them in the conversation as a band instead of brand, while slowly building an interest in their eventual return.

Edge has been saying the same thing for over 20 years now. It's always loads of ideas, not sure where it's gonna go....love the freedom....maybe, we'll see...

They use their freedom poorly imo. They were better off when they were restricted by deadlines and having something to prove, regardless of whether they had to prove it to themselves or the world.

Pardon me for teasing you, grumpykins. I’ve been waiting 10 years for a basketball game. It’s deffo why I gotta ruffle your feathers.

Yes. It's a U2 article from today. There aren't many, but this is one.

this article is my best friend. it is my life. i must master it as i must master my life.

without me, this article is useless. without this article, i am useless. i must read this article true. i must roll my eyes harder than my fellow poster who is trying to out-sass me. i must post my disdain before he beats me. i will.

nGMrD.gif

Back
Top Bottom