Next Album Rumours Thread II - Songs of Ass Scent - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #161
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:53 AM
When the 2019 tour begins, we'll get an influx of articles and interviews and such. My prediction is that we get a few vague comments about "being in the early stages" and that an album is a long way off. I think that U2 has probably ceased to exist ever since they walked offstage in Berlin, and they've been on break ever since. I imagine sometime in September they'll start rehearsals, and that will have been the first time all 4 of them have played music together since last November. Bottom line, we're at least 2 years away from a new album.

The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #162
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post
Will be nice when and if we start to hear any rumblings about new stuff happening.

I loved SOI and SOE, only a couple songs i skip on each.

But would love if the next (possibly last) album had an overall atmosphere in the vein of Love Comes Tumbling or something like that.

Would be nice to have more of the open, dreamy type sound. Love is All and Landlady sort of have a hint of that.

Either way, I'm excited to see how it plays out.
The only rumblings we'll be hearing anytime soon are coming from Bono's tummy

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:11 PM   #163
Blue Crack Supplier

Tummy's have to be empty to rumble...there'll be no rumblings.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:22 AM   #164
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
When the 2019 tour begins, we'll get an influx of articles and interviews and such. My prediction is that we get a few vague comments about "being in the early stages" and that an album is a long way off. I think that U2 has probably ceased to exist ever since they walked offstage in Berlin, and they've been on break ever since. I imagine sometime in September they'll start rehearsals, and that will have been the first time all 4 of them have played music together since last November. Bottom line, we're at least 2 years away from a new album.

Definitely 2021 at the earliest I’d say
rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:44 AM   #165
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Tummy's have to be empty to rumble...there'll be no rumblings.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think edge is always recording. Bono probably always writing.

Adam and Larry wont touch an instrument until tour rehearsals

They really aren’t a band anymore in the traditional sense. It’s really Bono and Edge recording, sending a file across the ocean, Larry and Adam lay down the drum part Edge wrote for them, and then splice it together

If they do one more album I’d love for them to be locked in a studio for a year. Bang about like they used to, and how that method drives everyone insane.

Have Brian and Danny produce, and no Tedder, no hot producer of the time.

Just be pure U2. Big guitar sounds, open landscapes, and Bono drops the literally writing. Become a poet again.
BEAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #167
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:53 PM
Is this fan fic
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:15 AM   #168
Acrobat

Bono is a wonderful poet. He is a truly special soul.
MissCandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

dear god
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #170
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:53 PM
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:13 AM   #171
Blue Crack Distributor

A wonderful soul
Bono has made it his goal
To fill his tummy
Old 09-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #172
War Child

They were interviewed by Rolling Stone India whilst in Electric Lady studios recently. Probably just brushing up on Streets, etc. cause they've hardly ever played them. But you never know, a couple of jam sessions on some new tunes could also have taken place...…..for the 2021 album.
macawaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #173
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by macawaca View Post
They were interviewed by Rolling Stone India whilst in Electric Lady studios recently. Probably just brushing up on Streets, etc. cause they've hardly ever played them. But you never know, a couple of jam sessions on some new tunes could also have taken place...…..for the 2021 album.
Interesting.

Probably just using it as a rehearsal space, as you said, so that Boner can go to the UN and Edge can go back to Malibu on the weekends.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #174
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
At this point in your career where you have scaled every possible height and earned every possible accolade, what remain your biggest creative goals?

The Edge: Every time you make an album, when you write a song, you’re trying to maintain a standard of creative potency for the work, and that’s not an easy thing to maintain. So it’s an ever-present constant plumb line that we established for ourselves, first and foremost. It’s not an external criticism, it’s our internal criticism and I think music and culture are continually moving forward, so for us as a band it’s always been a focus of ours — trying to remain somehow connected with that conversation and the culture. So those two things: our own standards and somehow connecting with what’s happening — that’s a lot. We still have ambition to do other things but that I think is the core focus certainly for me, creatively.

Bono: It’s interesting for novelists or poets or filmmakers, being over 40 is never a problem. But for musicians, it seems more difficult. We listen to one of the greatest artists in the world, Prince for example. I’m trying to remember a lot of songs in the last 20 years of his life and can’t remember as many. You’re look at the biggest Prince fan that there is. But some artists have disproven this — artists like Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, you know…

The Edge: Leonard Cohen

Bono: Leonard Cohen, my goodness! And David Bowie came back around, he meandered there off for a moment, but we all do. I should know that (laughs). So I think the creative ambition, to answer your question, is to write the best song ever. With “Every Breaking Wave” on Songs Of Innocence, we hit our top five songs. And “Ordinary Love” – I am trying to think of from the last album — and “Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way” certainly have the reaction of “Pride (In The Name of Love)” years and years later.
They still don't get it, and if they don't get it by now, I fear they never will again.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #175
Blue Crack Supplier

That reaction must come from within, cause it certainly didn't come from the audience.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #176
War Child

Tedder confirms he is due to work with them on the new album in LA, just 4 guys in a room stuff, blah, blah.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #177
War Child

From some Italian article apparently
Old 09-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #178
War Child

Wonder when he gave that interview and when the LA work is planned? Would have to be right now or early 2020?
Old 09-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #179
Blue Crack Addict

google-translated (with a little help from myself on a few words for clarity) version of the italian article.

https://www.rockol.it/news-707474/on...der-intervista

Quote:
Working with a band like U2, which has (strong) internal dynamics, is quite difficult, admits Tedder who collaborated on the production of "Songs of innocence" and "Songs of experience". In these two cases, Ryan received (credits) as a producer, but does not appear as (a writer), although he tells us that he and Brent Kutzle, another member of OneRepublic, (wrote) a part of "Summer of love" in Italy, in Venice. "Bono and The Edge are like conductors. They listen to the (takes) and assemble the songs by taking the melody from a demo, the chords from another, the strings from a third (take). With them a song is never finished. You spend three months working on a piece, you leave and everyone seems happy with the result. Bono and the others leave to Èze, in France, they spend three weeks and they call you [imitates the voice of Bono]: 'Ryan Ryan, we are thinking of speeding up the song and maybe putting something punk on it, like a new bass line. Ah, yes, another thing: I completely rewrote the (lyrics)'. And this thing happens with all the pieces! U2 are the best group on the planet, but with them it is not uncommon to produce 70 versions of a single song ".

Ryan Tedder's collaboration with U2 continues with the Irishmens' upcoming album. "I spoke to them just last week. We will work together on some new pieces when I am in Los Angeles. I think it's their intention to make a record completely different from the last two. It will be easier. You know, it's like a pendulum. When you make a very produced album, with so many instruments in it, the next project you want it more sparse and you wonder: what if the disc had the sound of four musicians playing in a room? ".
oh boy isn't everyone so excited at this news.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #180
Blue Crack Supplier