Next Album Rumours Thread II - Songs of Ass Scent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it was released on a live EP for RSD earlier in the decade. the studio version has not been released.

I don’t care what the new album sounds like. I’m still a man on a mission to finally fucking see Gloria live.

Good luck. I have been too and the past 4 shows I’ve gotten the “rotation” song or either I will Follow, Electric Co or Out of Control.

Now I enjoy all of those songs but Gloria is my white whale at this point!

Electric Co during Vertigo at MSG was spectacular but I would still love to hear Gloria.

it was released on a live EP for RSD earlier in the decade. the studio version has not been released.

Seriously doubt we will ever see a true studio version unless it is on a box set. I like the live version and still can’t believe they played it, but prefer the unreleased version. Mercy chatter lives on! :)

I know this kinda derails the topic being discussed but has MERCY ever been officially released in any form? There's one version that I like so much on YouTube but never liked the later versions.

I wondered if anyone else here thinks it was a good song with potential and maybe showing up on a new album if not previously released?

Oh, it has quite a few fans around here. But I wouldn't say "potential".

I think it's the best track they recorded that decade, and it's my all-time U2 Top 10.

I don’t care what the new album sounds like. I’m still a man on a mission to finally fucking see Gloria live.

It’s by pure dumb luck I saw Gloria twice, 2005 and 2015. However, I seem to always miss Out of Control. I wish I had a life where I could’ve told work to fuck off for a week, kindly said goodbye to my wife and kids, and attended all 5 IE shows in Chicago. That would’ve crossed a lot of songs off my list! Alas, I only was able to attend 1 of those shows.

There's no doubt that U2 have listened to the new Nick Cave but I hope that it leads them to reflect upon their direction and reasons for making music.

There's no doubt that U2 have listened to the new Nick Cave but I hope that it leads them to reflect upon their direction and reasons for making music.

Yeah ... If you’re gonna go introspective, like SOI say, then make the music match. You don’t do it with big shouty choruses and songs that have had every ounce of life squeezed out of them through over production and over thinking.

Although U2 don’t have the genius of Warren Ellis at their disposal.

Ehh, I don't buy that. Introspective and revisiting your youth doesn't have to be all dour and downbeat. It can reflect the exuberance of joy, freedom, etc. If Bono wants to create a good feeling about coming to California on a pilgrimage to find Brian Wilson or whatever, being at the edge of the world on the Pacific Coast, the (imo) brilliant realization that an endless negative emotion of grief has its opposite in the endless positive emotion of love, etc., this isn't a misstep.

Nor is the explosion of energy to be found in Volcano, Reach Around, or The Miracle, whatever you think of their actual quality.

for fucks sakes...i will be 100% done with this band's new music forever if they release yet another "songs of" album full of ideas from 2012.

Last edited:
for fucks sakes...i will be 100% done with this band's new music forever if they release yet another "songs of" album full of ideas from 2012.

Would rather they release their ideas from 2012 than beat it to death about making it relevant for 2016, err, 2020.

Get out of ur own way bono

the only reason i'm slightly hoping that it happens is that there's a chance they would "finish" and release mercy and everyone here will finally shut up about that overrated turd of a demo.

Electric Co during Vertigo at MSG was spectacular but I would still love to hear Gloria.

was that the 11/22 show you were at? I was at that one, it ended very abruptly after a shitshow meltdown by Patti Smith. Worst ending to any show of any artist I have ever seen.

Was a great show before that (save the awful Streets)

was that the 11/22 show you were at? I was at that one, it ended very abruptly after a shitshow meltdown by Patti Smith. Worst ending to any show of any artist I have ever seen.

Was a great show before that (save the awful Streets)

lol an artist saying "we all have a light within us, we are all worth something" at the end of a concert is only "a shitshow meltdown" and the "worst ending to any show of any artist" if you're a reactionary moron. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

what if they're ideas from 2007?

i can't imagine what an mess SOA would be at this point if they've actually been working on it. how many producers would they have brought in to fuck with Eno & Lanois work?

lol an artist saying "we all have a light within us, we are all worth something" at the end of a concert is only "a shitshow meltdown" and the "worst ending to any show of any artist" if you're a reactionary moron. :rolleyes:

then I guess the arena was full of reactionary morons that night...

but hey, dont let the facts get in the way of trolling my every post. pathetic, but we have come to expect this...

then I guess the arena was full of reactionary morons that night...

right, i'm sure all those people in the concert video were cheering loudly and wildly for the shitshow meltdown slash worst ending to any show of any artist they've ever seen.

but hey, dont let the facts get in the way of trolling my every post. pathetic, but we have come to expect this...

i literally have not responded to a single one of your posts in several months, but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of acting like a victim.

Last edited:
as usual, you are confused. probably could use some meds.

the concert film was Chicago. MSG is located in New York.

thanks for contributing.
There are YouTube videos of the performance...

I was there, and it was a very awkward ending. It's a far way from a "shit show meltdown," but it was a bad way to end what was otherwise an amazing run at MSG.

I saw Eddie Vedder get booed for bashing Bush, play two more songs, both of which were highly political, and slam the mic down as he left. Same year, I think. Maybe a year off. That was significantly more of an awkward ending than this one. Was an awkward time in the NYC area - just a few years after 9/11 but at the start of Iraq. People weren't ready to be against the Iraq war in the area yet. The hurt from 9/11 clouded many a judgement. It also made for some awkward moments on stage. Even Springsteen, a god in the NYC area, took some heat during that time.

as usual, you are confused. probably could use some meds.

the concert film was Chicago. MSG is located in New York.

thanks for contributing.

and here i thought all this time that there was a chance that you were just pretending to be this dense. silly me.

since you apparently can't figure this rather simple thing out on your own, here's the video i watched of the very event that you were actually talking about:

U2 Feedback

#factsareourfriends
#needmoreeadderral

oh right, i'd forgotten about that very obviously jokey two-post exchange. nobody in their right mind would ever manage to twist that kind of thing into "trolling my every post", but if it helps you feel better you can keep on pretending like there's someone out there who actually cares that much about your inane posts.

Last edited:
uh, yeah, I am aware there are YouTube videos. those are not called 'concert films'.

now, was I exaggerating a touch? yeah... I must have forgotten that Interference frowns upon exaggeration. My bad.

and here i thought all this time that there was a chance that you were just pretending to be this dense. silly me.

since you apparently can't figure this rather simple thing out on your own, here's the video i watched of the very event that you were actually talking about:

oh right, i'd forgotten about that very obviously jokey two-post exchange. nobody in their right mind would ever manage to twist that kind of thing into "trolling my every post", but if it helps you feel better you can keep on pretending like there's someone out there who actually cares that much about your inane posts.

apparently you do.

you can follow me on Twitter too.

I love you man.

Back
Top Bottom