Next Album Rumours Thread II - Songs of Ass Scent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i would like to please rewind my life back to the idyllic times of before i heard the edge going "hellOOOooOOooo toileeeetttt..."

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Dysadj8yS/?igshid=cdh7pnv4t3g0

Anton Corbijn was taking photos of the band in a swimming pool in India today.

Could be for the next album - I seem to recall NYC rooftop photos taken in 2013 being used for SoI, and the Dutch beach photo of the band taken in 2015/2016 was used for SoE.

i.e. the next album's surely still a long way off, but hey, maybe this photo session is for it.

Let the guessing game begin.

After Ahimsa, it would be great if we got another song or two before the end of 2020.

Album? Even better, but it’s going to take a while.

Could be for the next album - I seem to recall NYC rooftop photos taken in 2013 being used for SoI, and the Dutch beach photo of the band taken in 2015/2016 was used for SoE.

i.e. the next album's surely still a long way off, but hey, maybe this photo session is for it.

A tad bit unexpected and could be done for anything, hopefully they will see the light of day for the context it’s aligned too.

images
“Hi, we’re U2 and we’re in a pool and you are listening to U2 Radio on SiriusXM”

Last edited:

Would anyone else like to see a different visual aesthetic than Corbijn pictures for the next album? I'm more than fine with not seeing any more pictures of U2 in stark black-and-white. SOI had the most interesting U2 album artwork in decades just for having some blue in there.

Guess things will go dark for awhile. Would have been nice at the end of the last show to hear something like we are going to away for a bit to work on what’s next, but I doubt we will ever get something as dramatic as what was said near the end of love town again. Hopefully some more noise about work on an album towards the end of next year if not earlier.

Would anyone else like to see a different visual aesthetic than Corbijn pictures for the next album? I'm more than fine with not seeing any more pictures of U2 in stark black-and-white. SOI had the most interesting U2 album artwork in decades just for having some blue in there.

Disagree. I didn't like the bedscenephotos for SOI at all. The b&W pics for this album are dull. Artwork, with exeption of the front cover, is part of their worst to date. The RollingStone photos from this era are great though...

Corbijn is part of the U2-world. Last photos for SOE, TJT-tour are great! Corbijn is a master imo and not only the b&w pictures...

So, here’s the latest from Adam’s Rolling Stone interview today...

We did some recording last year that got us some really great starting points and complete songs. There’s an album ready to go, we’re just not ready to sure when we want to press that button.

Oh. Wow.

When I say ready to go, I mean ready to be completed. Let’s put it that way.

So the songs are written, but you have to record them and get them right?

Exactly.

Cool. I can’t wait to hear them. I imagine it’ll be a bit, though.

It’s very, very fresh. We’ve cut everything quite quickly. We’re coming to things in a shorthand way. The feedback we get from that is pretty good. We want to be quick, down and dirty with the next one.

We did some recording last year that got us some really great starting points and complete songs. There’s an album ready to go, we’re just not ready to sure when we want to press that button.

Oh. Wow.

Exactly.

It’s very, very fresh. We’ve cut everything quite quickly. We’re coming to things in a shorthand way. The feedback we get from that is pretty good. We want to be quick, down and dirty with the next one.
Heard it all before,down and dirty until a new producer comes in! Hope I'm wrong though.

Oh. Wow.

Exactly.

Nice to see them doing interviews again. Sounds like no earlier than 2022.

Oh. Wow.

Exactly.

I don't expect they'll get anything released until late 2021 at the earliest (more likely late 2022), even that's assuming they're able to meet in a studio by January (considering they seem to record all around the world, it's not too likely).

Still, always nice to get an update!

That last paragraph is interesting. Bono recently said he wanted to make a "balls to the wall" rock album, and cited the stripped down E-stage section of the last tour as inspiration for what they do next. Ryan Tedder said he was working with them last year, and predicted the next album would be more straightforward compared to SoE. And even SoE was partially re-recorded with Lillywhite to give it a 'played live' quality. And now this.

Things can (and surely will) change, but it would be cool if they pulled off a truly raw rock album.

Back
Top Bottom