Next Album Rumours Thread II - Songs of Ass Scent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good mid tour song, appropriate for their visit to India, almost like a lullaby, don’t see this any indication for a new album direction, definitely a one off.

Ahimsa would be a logical step in the direction of ... Songs of Ascent.

For those of you who didn’t get it back in 2010

Ahimsa would be a logical step in the direction of ... Songs of Ascent.

For those of you who didn’t get it back in 2010

That was actually my first thought too. Seems like the kind of song they’ve described for that album.

It’s not bad! I definitely don’t feel embarrassed listening to it like I did with Get Out or American Soul. As a one-off, it works very well. If it inspires them to go in a subtler direction for their next album, all the better.

if anyone still genuinely thinks that the next album is going to be called songs of ascent, please let me know how much you are willing to bet.

Last edited:
What does this even mean?

it was a joke. About a year or so ago (maybe more?) Bono got himself into trouble by criticizing modern music as being too 'girly'. He took tons of shit for it.

Of course, as expected, there are some minions on this board who are just too fucking stupid to have understood the reference.

if anyone still genuinely thinks that the next album is going to be called songs of ascent, please let me know how much you are willing to bet.
On one hand, I'm totally with you.

On the other hand, it was crazy to remind people of the apple debacle by keeping the "Songs of..." narrative going, so would you reeeeeeeally be shocked? Really?

Well, Bono’s been working on this theme for a long time, as early as the late 80s.

U2 consciously or not have a lot of trilogies or pattern of 3s in their career.

Bono brought up the album title again as recent as last month.

So I’m not willing to write it off.

On one hand, I'm totally with you.

On the other hand, it was crazy to remind people of the apple debacle by keeping the "Songs of..." narrative going, so would you reeeeeeeally be shocked? Really?

i feel fairly confident that by now "songs of ascent" is as dead of an album title as "solar", "10 reasons to live", and "the ordinary land".

Bono is the best part of the song. His cadence and tone are great. The music itself is pretty awful. Like someone made it from a 30 day trial of cheap software.

Definition of "eh."

The worst part is that I feel like the verse melody could actually have been turned into something melancholy and worthwhile. But, alas.

Don’t forget “Expect Nothing”. Or maybe that was just a fan creation.

pretty sure "solar" was too. i'll always remember the time that the shitty obviously-fake cover that i made by taking a stock photo of the sun and writing "U2 Solar" on it in MS paint, and atu2 or one of those kind of sites somehow got a hold of it and wrote a whole breathless article/blog post about the "new album cover and title leak!!!" like it was 100% legit. :lol:

i hereby rescind this offer as i have just discovered while searching for that fake "solar" cover that my track record here is rather spotty:

Yeesh.

I will bet you all $50 that neither Vertigo nor How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb will be the title of the album.

All 19,738 of you. So that equals a profit of $986,900 for me. :)

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/how-to-dismantle-an-atomic-bomb-93845.html#post1648892

whoops. :lol:

i feel fairly confident that by now "songs of ascent" is as dead of an album title as "solar", "10 reasons to live", and "the ordinary land".
Don’t forget “Expect Nothing”. Or maybe that was just a fan creation.
Lest we not forget the rumored original title of SOI - Donkey Punch.

searching for this fake album cover has really led me down an interference rabbit hole on a boring day at work.

i'm not sure whether i'm enjoying more recapping the fake edge fiasco, or reading the ridiculously combative FYM threads from 2003-05ish when almost everyone here was a teenager. so many spicy takes in there it's like the port-a-john after a disastrous chili festival.

Last edited:
probably a reference to bono's criticism of music being to "girly" and not angry

The worst part of that quote by Bono was that they shortly thereafter released “Best Thing”, which is perhaps their least “angry” song ever released (okay, 2nd begins Sweetest a thing”). And then had GOOYOW on the album which wasn’t exactly lighting the spirits of youth on fire.

Back
Top Bottom