Next Album Rumours Thread II - Songs of Ass Scent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They didn’t give it away for nothing though. Apple paid them for the rights of the record so they could distribute it. A lot of reports quoted that they paid them 100 million for it which I can’t believe but I bet any money that u2 made more money from that release then they would have made from a regular cd release

I remember that the majority of their back catalogue was selling in the top ten for a bit on iTunes as a result of the stunt. They made so much money overall from SOI.

How many "fuck off rock n' roll" records is this band going to make? Wasn't this was HTDAAB was supposed to be? Wasn't this the middle section of NLOTH?

Enough with the watered down Zeppelin riffage and garage rock attempts. Their best stuff is in the ethereal.

U2 rock about as much as a grandad who puts three sugars in his tea. Awful putrid dad rock. It really is.

Get your fucking heads together lads, stop acting and dressing like middle aged divorcees going through mid life crisis, give Brian Eno a call and get back to your spiritual and ethereal vibe again. Sick to death of awful shit like I’ll Go Crazy. The Miracle and American Soul.

That said, I’m not sure these guys will ever get back to that sense of spiritual wonder and curiosity. Pissing about with property development while destroying sites of ecological importance, sucking up to Apple, flying your hat on a private jet, misguided business ventures, awful collaborations with insipid commercial producers like Tedder..... these are four guys who are now so wrapped up in materialism that they’ve lost all sense of spirituality and sense of wonder. And to be brutally honest, it shows in their music.

U2 rock about as much as a grandad who puts three sugars in his tea. Awful putrid dad rock. It really is.

Get your fucking heads together lads, stop acting and dressing like middle aged divorcees going through mid life crisis, give Brian Eno a call and get back to your spiritual and ethereal vibe again. Sick to death of awful shit like I’ll Go Crazy. The Miracle and American Soul.

That said, I’m not sure these guys will ever get back to that sense of spiritual wonder and curiosity. Pissing about with property development while destroying sites of ecological importance, sucking up to Apple, flying your hat on a private jet, misguided business ventures, awful collaborations with insipid commercial producers like Tedder..... these are four guys who are now so wrapped up in materialism that they’ve lost all sense of spirituality and sense of wonder. And to be brutally honest, it shows in their music.
Time to hand in your membership card.

You know Eno produced I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, right?

I think it's time for them to re-invent themselves and go really experimental. No thinking about being relevant and less talking, more producing. Otherwise they should call it a day. The band is starting to get really dull these days.

You know Eno produced I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, right?

You check the liner notes on that? I was under the impression it was done after the regular sessions, and Wiki only says Lillywhite with help from will.i.am.

ETA: the page for the song itself says it was “developed” by Eno, but reaffirms the Lillywhite and will.i.am. You can bet your ass it didn’t sound like that back when Eno was working on it.

You check the liner notes on that? I was under the impression it was done after the regular sessions, and Wiki only says Lillywhite with help from will.i.am.

ETA: the page for the song itself says it was “developed” by Eno, but reaffirms the Lillywhite and will.i.am. You can bet your ass it didn’t sound like that back when Eno was working on it.

In saying that Eno & Lanois have full production credits for Boots and Stand Up! Go figure.
No Eno or Lanois noted anywhere for Crazy Tonight (on the album version that made it anyways).

If they're gonna do Songs of Ascent, I hope they do it with Lanois, Eno and Lillywhite.

Agreed!

But don't do a tour with a "narrative", I'm kinda getting sick of all that. Just go out and play. Do a handful of new songs from the new album, throw in some warhorses but also play some deep tracks on a rotational basis.

Agreed!

But don't do a tour with a "narrative", I'm kinda getting sick of all that. Just go out and play. Do a handful of new songs from the new album, throw in some warhorses but also play some deep tracks on a rotational basis.

This time I don 't want them to tour SOA. I'd rather have them recording in the studio more new music .

The other thing, is I think they’re not inspired sonically. Their best albums were sonic experiments which borrowed from trends and other innovators to fatten up their sound. These days, they’re just borrowing from themselves. Not a bad idea but it’s not helpful that there are bands in the present day that have taken the U2 guitar sound and run with it.

In saying that Eno & Lanois have full production credits for Boots and Stand Up! Go figure.
No Eno or Lanois noted anywhere for Crazy Tonight (on the album version that made it anyways).

Unfortunately we do not know what it sounded like before Lilliywhite and will.i.am reworked it. Hopefully they release a

Eno did produce Stand Up Comedy and Boots, tho

Eno did not produce Miami.

come on guys Eno is old, and future is now,,,meaning U2 should be produced by Oneohtrix Point Never or maybe Tim Hecker

What do you think when you see 69?

I think about choking the chicken.

spl92260_012.jpg

They can get mishymoshyblahblahblah... I don’t care. They can have an audience of producers (preferably not reworking songs though). I don’t care.

Just stop trying to be relevant. That’s what they need to do.

I don't need them to return to Eno and Lanois.

They don't have to go all experimental.

Just please stop with the mishmosh of producers and aborted visions.

Pick something, pick someone, and stick with it till the end.

I was joking about Passengers, but given how the last four albums have gone, I don't know if they've got it in them to produce a more cohesive album than Songs of Experience due to all of the band dynamics and "politics" we've debated to death.

I'm amazed SOE turned out as well as it did based on the lengthy gestation process and all of the usual baggage.

I agree though, pick a producer, set a timeframe and release something at the end of it. It doesn't even have to be an album.

It would also help the cohesiveness if the band actually worked together versus Edge coming up with 90% of the music, and it all being pieced together digitally. From the interviews regarding SOE, it sounded like Edge came up with most of Adam's bass work.

I'm sure that's happened a lot in the past, but it would be cool if Adam went back to the mentality of trying to find the coolest/baddest bass line ever. Worked wonders for him on Pop.

Plus it might free Edge up to come up with a cool riff for the guitar versus the bass. At least in my opinion the last few albums have had stronger bass than anything produced by the six string.

I agree though, pick a producer, set a timeframe and release something at the end of it. It doesn't even have to be an album.

yeah this. i think this band would do well to release a 4-6 song EP rather than being so hyper-focused on making everything they release an album that has 11 tracks. even better if they put it out in 2020 rather than taking an extra year or two to finish off another half-dozen songs. a four or five year layoff for the sake of completing 5 more non-singles at this point in their careers is like the exact opposite of what they need to do if they still really want that relevance they seem to so desperately crave.

Back
Top Bottom