Next Album Rumours Thread II - Songs of Ass Scent - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2019, 12:21 AM   #201
Refugee

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macawaca View Post
Tedder confirms he is due to work with them on the new album in LA, just 4 guys in a room stuff, blah, blah.
I actually liked what Tedder did, I think. "Songs of Experience" might be the best album since "Pop"; it's just really lacking in the lyrics department, but still is much better than "Songs of Innocence" ("13" is so much more beautiful than "Song For Someone") or anything in the 2000s. My least favourite on SOI were the ones on which Lilywhite worked. Not ENOUGH production.

They're finally getting back to using texture and loud and soft. I love that guitar sound The Edge is using and the synths. So gorgeous.

The last time they went back-to-basics were got "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb", which was quite horrible production-wise.

I think Tedder did a way better job than even Eno and Lanois. "No Line on the Horizon" wasn't nearly as good as "Songs of Innocence". Maybe Eno and Lanois can't push the band anymore.

Anyway, it's so cool to see so many critical U2 fans. When I used to post here a lot a decade ago, I'd get attacked by some.

Muldfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:28 AM   #202
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
Ok, I’d like to revise. I like the last 2 albums... but I don’t really care for GOOYOW - American Soul. I used to think nothing could be worse than GOYB or SUC. Now, compared to GOOYOW and AS, I love GOYB and SUC. I don’t know how Bono could lack that much self awareness when he wrote AS. Please, no more of that shit.

I’m usually not too worried about who the producer is, because at the end of the day it’s U2 writing the songs. Brian and Danny helped them make UF, JT, AB and ATYCLB, all of which I consider to be near masterpieces... but they also produced NLOTH, which I consider to be meh.

SOI has an army of producers, but I love it. It connected with me a lot. SOE not so much... I still like most of the songs, but it just missed the mark for me in some ways that SOI did not.
Yeah, U2 is the worst judge of what the hits should be.

Really enjoyed "Songs of Experience" , but tracks 3 and especially 4 and 5 are garbage.

The best songs from "Songs of Innocence" were not played live: "California" and "Sleep Like a Baby".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Even if the band wanted to do this, I don't see any chance of Burton wanting to work with them ever again.
I've been listening to "Pop" a lot this year. They should work with Flood and Howie B again. Now, THAT was a well-produced album!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
I know I’ve said this before, but Andy Barlow was the big success in all of the producers they have worked with in the last 10 years. Him and Declan Gaffney.
Yes. I loved the music of "Love Is All We Have Left"; Bono just ruined it with the cheesy, vague lyrics that start it, but I love "Now, you're at the other end of a telescope" part.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:39 AM   #203
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:06 PM
I will readily admit that I would have liked Songs of Experience significantly more if Songs of Innocence didn't exist.

But it does - and both albums are, to me, blown opportunities in so many different ways.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #204
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I will readily admit that I would have liked Songs of Experience significantly more if Songs of Innocence didn't exist.

But it does - and both albums are, to me, blown opportunities in so many different ways.

I think one album, best songs of both, produced by Barlow and Gaffney would have been incredible. An unprecedented 4th decade masterpiece.

LIAWHL
EBW
LOH
Iris
Invisible
RFD
RBW
BOYH
Cedarwood Rd
Landlady
The Crystal Ballroom
Blackout
Reach Me Now
LIBTAIIW
The Troubles
Little Things
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #205
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:06 AM
Next Album Rumours Thread II - Songs of Ass Scent

In fact - if they were to do that, you would want them to do it as two mini albums, same theme. Most importantly, the atmosphere and mood of Little Things, RFD and LIAWHL throughout.

Songs of Innocence

Invisible
EBW
Reach Me Now
Cedarwood Rd
Iris
Raised By Wolves
The Crystal Ballroom
The Troubles

Songs of Experience

LIAWHL
The Blackout
LOH
The Book of Your Heart
Red Flag Day
Landlady
Love is Bigger
Little Things
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #206
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
I think one album, best songs of both, produced by Barlow and Gaffney would have been incredible. An unprecedented 4th decade masterpiece.

LIAWHL
EBW
LOH
Iris
Invisible
RFD
RBW
BOYH
Cedarwood Rd
Landlady
The Crystal Ballroom
Blackout
Reach Me Now
LIBTAIIW
The Troubles
Little Things
Substitute Sleep Like a Baby for Landlady and I'll buy it...even better if you also remove Love is Bigger.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #207
War Child

Local Time: 01:06 AM
There are a lot of opinions out there if it comes to u2's sound. They have a really big fan base. I'm a fan of the more experimental/atmospheric u2 (Unforgettable fire/Achtung baby/Zooropa/Passengers/Pop) Although the band wanted to be experimental on the last three albums, it didn't work out quite that way. Those albums ended up mainstream/somewhat traditional (some exceptions on those albums of course).
It's not that I don't like the other albums at all, but traditional u2 is less interesting to me.
So I'm very curious what Songs of Ascent would have sounded like...
A back to basic album with 'just four people' in a room playing for me is not very promising to me. BUT in that case we MIGHT get an album sooner than we think...
wolbersu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:34 PM   #208
War Child

Local Time: 05:06 PM
it's all bullshit, this 4 guys in a room thing. same nonsense every album cycle.

as usual they will end up with 20 producers and throw together a mishmash of the bits they think are the most likely to chart, and it will be a chunky clunky chowder of inconsistency.... with some great bits and some just godawful.

and Bono will say it rivals the best they've ever done.

they're delusional at this point.
Iggy Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:31 AM   #209
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
They're finally getting back to using texture and loud and soft. I love that guitar sound The Edge is using
The Edge, or one of the five other random guys credited with playing guitar on the album?

I still love most of the songs on the album (and I won't argue against your claim that it's the best collection of them since Pop), but in terms of instrumentation and production, this might be the biggest overcooked mess of their entire career. I don't know where the band ends and all the hired guns begin.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:28 AM   #210
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Fizz View Post
it's all bullshit, this 4 guys in a room thing. same nonsense every album cycle.

as usual they will end up with 20 producers and throw together a mishmash of the bits they think are the most likely to chart, and it will be a chunky clunky chowder of inconsistency.... with some great bits and some just godawful.

and Bono will say it rivals the best they've ever done.

they're delusional at this point.

Delusional is to strong of a word mate , I mean what do you expect them to say when an albums released? Their not gonna say it’s crap or there’s other records that we’ve done that are loads better. Their gonna say it’s good and one of the best , they’ve got to sell it at the end of the day
rennowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:11 AM   #211
ONE
love, blood, life

I’m on the Barlow train. I wish they’d work with him again.
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #212
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
Delusional is to strong of a word mate , I mean what do you expect them to say when an albums released? Their not gonna say it’s crap or there’s other records that we’ve done that are loads better. Their gonna say it’s good and one of the best , they’ve got to sell it at the end of the day
when Bono claims that Orinary Love and Love is Bigger are not only among their very best, but are also getting an equivalent response from fans as their biggest hits like Pride.... delusional is exactly the word I would continue to use...
Iggy Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:30 PM   #213
Refugee

Quote:
when Bono claims that Orinary Love and Love is Bigger are not only among their very best, but are also getting an equivalent response from fans as their biggest hits like Pride.... delusional is exactly the word I would continue to use...
Same. I always look forward to U2 but it's hard to have much faith in or respect for them now. They seem delusional and it's hard to determine what their motivation is.
Hollow Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #214
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I was wishing the other day that a group of interferencers travel to Ireland and perform an intervention with the band and tell them what the actual best songs of the last 10 years have been, and what have been dreadful mistakes, from actual long-time fans.

I totally agree with Smee on Barlow, along with Gaffney and I would throw in Jolyon Thomas for the trifecta.
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #215
The Fly

Unlike a lot of you, I think SOI/SOE are their worst albums, followed by No Line and Bomb. I'm not--how do I put this--"the world's biggest 21st century-U2 fan".

Yes, Brian and Danny helmed No Line, which was a nadir for all involved. But helming at least three extremely enduring masterpieces (I'll let you decide which those are--hint: ATYCLB is not one of them), and being musical geniuses (and just straight-up genius, in Eno's case) in their own right(s) has to count for a fucking lot here.

I think they're the only ones who have any real idea how to truly "handle" these four clowns too. Tedder sounds like a teenage camp counselor talking about dealing with them--never mind that he should never have been allowed within 500 feet of any studio containing them in the first place. Lillywhite can handle them, but he doesn't have the touch anymore, and hasn't since he became better known as Dave Matthews' producer. Burton, understandably, didn't/doesn't have the patience (but also didn't have the history with them) for late-period aimless fuckery.

Basically, the only other person besides Brian and Danny who I think that could ever get anything truly good out of them at this point, and I'm sure it would come with a lot of conditions, and rightfully so, is Nigel Godrich. That would be the most impressive and daring thing they could do at this stage. I know iterations of all of this have been said before but an Italian interview with Ryan Fucking Tedder talking about "four guys in a room" just ahead of The Joshua Tree 32-And-A-Half-Birthday Tour is just too rich for me.

Of course, they will do nothing of the sort. "But even after admitting this—and I have countless times, in just about every [post] I’ve [submitted]—and coming face-to-face with these truths, there is no [end to love]. I gain no deeper knowledge about [U2's internal logic], no new understanding can be extracted from my [bitching]. There has been no reason for me to tell you any of this. This [Zoo] confession[al] has meant nothing."

P.S. If I'm spanking them too hard, "it hurts me more than it hurts [them, for sure]".

P.P.S. There are, of course, "moments" over the past two decades that are good, even (lower-case) great. I'm just pulling the "centuries-binary" card because I want to make it that stark here.

Honorable mentions:

Steve Albini (who would never put up with more than a week or so of their shit, nor would help them "craft")
Ethan Johns (who might)
ferball415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:29 AM   #216
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
The Edge, or one of the five other random guys credited with playing guitar on the album?

I still love most of the songs on the album (and I won't argue against your claim that it's the best collection of them since Pop), but in terms of instrumentation and production, this might be the biggest overcooked mess of their entire career. I don't know where the band ends and all the hired guns begin.
I'd hate to think it was someone other than The Edge playing. Then again, Lanois played a ton, so why not the others. I was kinda disappointed the band couldn't come up with more of their own original melodies, but those are some pretty great ones on "Lights of Home" and "Summer of Love."

Ah, well; I still love that sound on "The Blackout" and others. I love most of Bono's lyrics on "13", too. Then, I tried to watch the campaign stuff, where Bono talks too much about it and it ruins it.

So glad that album has so much texture, though -- much more than "Songs of Innocence", so I think Adam was right about putting more time into the production.

Not a fan of recycling past melodies generally, though. (The took the okay bridge from the pretty catchy "Volcano" and turned that into a song?!)
Quote:
I recall Bono telling the Rolling Stone publisher that he thought "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" had better songs than previous albums and tearing songs like "Bad" to pieces, when it's actually amazing.

Bono has got to stop hanging around the Clintons and Bernie Sanders it up.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:45 AM   #217
Blue Crack Distributor

That Ordinary Love proved more popular than people here give it credit for (don't @ me Ax) and that Love Is Bigger got a pretty decent reaction should absolutely tell them some things... just not the things Bono thinks it's telling them

It should tell them that;

a) you should have stuck it out with danger mouse during the innocence recordings

b) your single choices are awful
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #218
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Their single choices are awful, it’s true. How can one of the world’s biggest bands not employ people that can tell them what they should and shouldn’t do, from a public perspective standpoint.

GOYB as a lead single... bad idea.
The Apple/iPhone scandal... bad idea.
The Ireland tax evasion... bad idea, creates false headlines of hypocrisy.
The Miracle of Joey Ramone... poor single choice
Every Breaking Wave... should’ve, could’ve been a massive hit single. They didn’t market it properly or try hard enough with it.
American Soul... why the fuck is this a song?

It’s like their PR team don’t exist. I think U2 are given too much control, and they don’t always make good decisions. Guy sucks as a manager. I love SOI and SOE, but it’s almost like they’re trying to make bad marketing choices.
The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:35 AM   #219
Rock n' Roll Doggie

LOL @ people still trying to tow the “Ordinary Love is more popular” line.

The song hit the Hot 100 for 1 week after they performed it at the Oscars and it promptly fell out the following week(as evident that it was released 4 months early and didn’t come remotely close to the Hot 100 or even the “bubbling under” Top 120 chart). The song was played on 1 format (Triple A) and even on that U2 dominated chart it barely (might not have even) cracked the top 10.

The song received basically no radio play(less than any song since NLOTH that was released) and when it’s played live (I’ve personally heard it twice) its usually drowned out by the sound of flushing toilets in the arena.

I get it, it has 40 million YouTube views...wow... I guess it’s more popular than I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For if that’s the measurement.

Maybe if they keep remixing it and putting it on albums it will get airplay, sales and a response from a U2 crowd.
CosmoKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #220
Refugee

Maybe nobody wants to work with them. Flood had a hell of a time on Pop, the sessions with Chris Thomas and Rick Rubin didn't work out. Eno & Lanois had credit disputes with the band and were annoyed with what U2 did to an album on which they were full collaborators. Danger Mouse was pissed with how they treated him and SOI. I'd be surprised if U2 didnt have a piss poor reputation among producers. They pissed off some very highly regarded people.

Maybe Tedder is the best they can get. Even if that's the case, has there ever been an artist to reach as far down for a long term partnership with a producer as U2 did for Tedder? It's hard to believe this band reached so far up for Eno in 84, after trying to get Conny Plank (Neu and a bunchbof other krautrock) and then Colin Newman (of fucking Wire!). They used to have good taste.

Hollow Island is online now   Reply With Quote