News About Album Artwork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

last unicorn

Blue Crack Addict
Someone over at u2tour.de has received the first physical copy of the CD and says the following:

The = sign is part of the jewel box, not on the actual album cover. The cover is only the sea/sky picture

On the actual CD there is a photo from Fez, no band on it

On the back is the photo of the band in b/w, Corbijn picture, Larry with the cane, we know that shoot

Booklet: Completely in black and white, band pictures from Fez and from the beach (I guess Dublin), 4 pages with credits

Song Credits:

NLOTH, MOS, FEZ-BB und COL - music: U2, Brian Eno and Danny Lanois, lyrics: Bono

Magnificent: lyrics: Bono and Edge, music: U2, Brian Eno and Danny Lanois

UC - music AND lyrics: U2, Brian Eno and Danny Lanois

IGCIIDGCT, GOYB, SUC und Breathe - Music: U2, Lyrics: Bono

WAS - Lyrics by U2 with Brian Eno and Danny Lanois,
Music: Traditional, arrangement by U2 with Brian Eno and Danny Lanois

Well, that proves the enourmous contribution from Eno and Lanois to this.

Nice job.

One wonders if the reason for the enhanced presence of Eno/Lanois is because we have seen the end of U2 as a four-piece...if the relationships between the band members have ceased to be what it once was... the magic always came from the relationships between the 4 of them, but with Larry's recent comments and Adam's clearly laissez-faire attitude, I'm curious if Eno and Lanois needed to take a stronger hand.

Well, this is certainly huge Eno/Lanois input. Don't think they ever contributed lyrics before.

One wonders if the reason for the enhanced presence of Eno/Lanois is because we have seen the end of U2 as a four-piece...if the relationships between the band members have ceased to be what it once was... the magic always came from the relationships between the 4 of them, but with Larry's recent comments and Adam's clearly laissez-faire attitude, I'm curious if Eno and Lanois needed to take a stronger hand.

lol made my night. :up:

Whoa, Eno and Lanois were that involved in UC? It's like they're sort of band members now.

I don't think the relationship in the band has changed, I just think that U2 finally decided to admit that Eno and Lanois have always been more than simple control room producers on the albums they've worked on. They've always performed as additional band members in the studio, playing instruments, writing parts, and arranging entire songs. Wasn't it Eno that came up with Beautiful Day entirely on his own by piecing together different bits of Always while the band wasn't even in the studio?

And for anyone that's surprised by the contribution by Eno and Lanois, I strongly suggest you listen to their solo work. You'll hear how much their sounds have always been a part of U2 since 1984.

It was clear they would get song writing credits, this was talked about some time ago. Their influence is very clear on the album. I think U2 did the right thing by reaching out to them and getting them into the boat. They have brought some real fresh air to the band, and sometimes, especially if you've been together for such a long time, you just need that. I don't think it has much to do with the band's relationship. Of course that has changed over the years, but I don't think U2 would be together today if the chemistry wouldn't be right. Even Eno and Lanois couldn't help if that was the case. The album is a collaboration of six great minds, and I think it's great that they finally get the writing credits they deserve.

Still not sure I'd want to see them on stage when U2 is on tour, I just think it would take something away from the magic that is there with the four of them on stage.

Btw, I think the WAS and Magnificent credits are actually the most interesting, because Bono shares writing credits on the lyrics with these.

There was even some concern, after ATYCLB, that Eno wouldn't work with U2 again, since he had contributed so much to the process (as he always does), and they yet again only credited him with "production by".

And this is yet another reason I love these guys so much...something like this happens with most bands, and the two groups would go their separate ways, sniping at each other for years (until the awkward, money-driven "reunion" much later on). Instead, U2 appear to have said, "You know what, Brian's got a point. He and Danny really have done much more than twisted dials for us through the years. Let's not just given them credit...let's pursue that more, see what happens when we formally embrace them as co-creators."

And then we get something as good at NLOTH as a result...:hyper:

Just listening to it you can hear so much Eno and Lanois. Is that a band thing? Hell no. They're musical geniuses and they gave us this awesome album.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

zomg! R they breaking up??!!!

They're (Bono, Adam, Edge, Larry) approaching 50.

I'm just saying they've obviously tapped into a creative vein and who knows how long it will last.

For the past 8 years they've had great commercial success, but now they're on the verge of having critical and artistic sense with their music.

I don't think it's coincidental that my 2 least-favorite tracks are the 2 that Brian and Danny didn't have much to do with.

I hope U2 works with them exclusively from here on out.

I'm confused about what you mean by just on the jewel case and not the cover. So... when you have the album unwrapped and folded up normally, where is the =?

I'm confused about what you mean by just on the jewel case and not the cover. So... when you have the album unwrapped and folded up normally, where is the =?

Jewel case meaning a hard plastic case, where you can have something imprinted on it:

10mm_Single_Black__CD_Jewel_Case.jpg

The booklet would go underneath, so there would be an image "floating" over the booklet.

I don't know what they did for the digipak, if there is one:

4-Panel-digipak-cd-audio.gif

It's printed on the case, it's not on the cover photo. When you take the booklet out of the case, the = are not on it.

I love the black and white, it's one of U2's trademarks, it's artsy and fits the mood of the album very well.

It's printed on the case, it's not on the cover photo. When you take the booklet out of the case, the = are not on it.

I love the black and white, it's one of U2's trademarks, it's artsy and fits the mood of the album very well.

That's really cool actually... so really the equal sign is part of the album cover, but superimposed... I like it!

It's one of their trademarks...except for the three albums in the 90's that all had FANTASTIC design and photography...in color.

Back
Top Bottom