New video?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting point. Good to know that from someone who actually lives there.
BTW. why is it so hard to be a fan in Ireland? Is it because the tax affair?

Yeah, so I'm hoping the film has some sort of 'redemption' angle or theme. For people worldwide to continually see Belfast as some sort of warzone isn't right or fair. My girlfriend, who told me about the shoot, and I were talking about it a lot last night and we agree it could very easily be misrepresentative if not explicity placed in the appropriate context

I've found it difficult being a fan here for a number of reasons. Most of them probably aren't that different from fans elsewhere who regularly get teased or challenged on their love for the band and it's music.

Here I find that young people can immediately write them off as being uncool. There's a an internet Magazine here in Belfast called the Thin Air, which as far as I can tell is trying to emulate the Pitchfork ethos of 'anything big is crap', so they put some snarky 'review' up on their site the day SoI was released, which made me furious.

Other folk can't see past the 'famous rock star demanding money/rubbing shoulders with dirty politicians/messiah complex' angle.

Some older people here (again only speaking from experience) who liked the band during the 80s and early 90s were put off a lot by the more experimental music. For years I didn't listen to Pop because my dad referred to it as 'shite son', and yet now it's my 2nd favourite album by U2.

And some people just refuse to see them as anything more than people who have let their egos get the better of them, almost like these Irish lads celebrating their huge, continued success is silly or embarrasing for Ireland. Mostly people here love bashing on Bono. The most common line I hear is 'yeah they're ok but Bono is a [insert insult of choice here]'.

Then again, every now and again someone will surprise you by agreeing with a love. My dad loves SoI, my work colleague was going to their gigs in the 80s. The guitar player in my band has finally admitted to me he loves the Edge, despite teasing me at every opportunity (friends for you), and the other guitar player in my band recently started liking them after attending a mixing masterclass with Tom Elmhirst where they got to play with The Miracle and Every Breaking Wave. The drummer in my band loves Larry.

I know I'm not being very articulate right now, I hope you get where I'm coming from. The idea of being a fan in their home country in spite of the negativity towards them is something I've been thinking more and more about. When I was a teenager it was easy for my friends to dismiss it much easier, but as we've got older they've become more open to debate about it, and even come round to being fans of the band in many cases, so I've been trying to get my head around it. If I were to take the time, I'm sure I could write something more substantial instead of what feels like a stream-of-concious post.

Because a walk in Dublin means he can now do a full on, hours long video shoot ?

giphy.gif

Allow me to repost your own quote...

Likely a big scar/swelling around the orbit of his eye. A big cast on his left arm.

Not moving orders by the doc, as stated by his bandmate.

So, again...

f0fda270-8605-11e4-9e0e-7f082f187867_Bono-121714.jpg

...we've fucking seen him.

The guitar player in my band has finally admitted to me he loves the Edge, despite teasing me at every opportunity (friends for you), and the other guitar player in my band recently started liking them after attending a mixing masterclass with Tom Elmhirst where they got to play with The Miracle and Every Breaking Wave. The drummer in my band loves Larry.

So, what did your band mate like about the miracle and every breaking wave that he liked?

Yeah, so I'm hoping the film has some sort of 'redemption' angle or theme. For people worldwide to continually see Belfast as some sort of warzone isn't right or fair. My girlfriend, who told me about the shoot, and I were talking about it a lot last night and we agree it could very easily be misrepresentative if not explicity placed in the appropriate context

I've found it difficult being a fan here for a number of reasons. Most of them probably aren't that different from fans elsewhere who regularly get teased or challenged on their love for the band and it's music.

Here I find that young people can immediately write them off as being uncool. There's a an internet Magazine here in Belfast called the Thin Air, which as far as I can tell is trying to emulate the Pitchfork ethos of 'anything big is crap', so they put some snarky 'review' up on their site the day SoI was released, which made me furious.

Other folk can't see past the 'famous rock star demanding money/rubbing shoulders with dirty politicians/messiah complex' angle.

Some older people here (again only speaking from experience) who liked the band during the 80s and early 90s were put off a lot by the more experimental music. For years I didn't listen to Pop because my dad referred to it as 'shite son', and yet now it's my 2nd favourite album by U2.

And some people just refuse to see them as anything more than people who have let their egos get the better of them, almost like these Irish lads celebrating their huge, continued success is silly or embarrasing for Ireland. Mostly people here love bashing on Bono. The most common line I hear is 'yeah they're ok but Bono is a [insert insult of choice here]'.

Then again, every now and again someone will surprise you by agreeing with a love. My dad loves SoI, my work colleague was going to their gigs in the 80s. The guitar player in my band has finally admitted to me he loves the Edge, despite teasing me at every opportunity (friends for you), and the other guitar player in my band recently started liking them after attending a mixing masterclass with Tom Elmhirst where they got to play with The Miracle and Every Breaking Wave. The drummer in my band loves Larry.

I know I'm not being very articulate right now, I hope you get where I'm coming from. The idea of being a fan in their home country in spite of the negativity towards them is something I've been thinking more and more about. When I was a teenager it was easy for my friends to dismiss it much easier, but as we've got older they've become more open to debate about it, and even come round to being fans of the band in many cases, so I've been trying to get my head around it. If I were to take the time, I'm sure I could write something more substantial instead of what feels like a stream-of-concious post.

N o one is a prophet in their own country, I suppose :(

Jesus this guy oseary guy is all over the new Madonna album on Twitter where as he hardly made any remarks about SOI, kind of makes you miss Paul mcguinness at least he showed interest in the band

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

U2 doesn't need their manager to go throwing their name around. They do just fine on their own.

... although so does Madonna, but maybe she's just a little needier with her manager.

The idea that U2 is sitting around pouting about the lack of attention from Oseary is amusing.

Jesus this guy oseary guy is all over the new Madonna album on Twitter where as he hardly made any remarks about SOI, kind of makes you miss Paul mcguinness at least he showed interest in the band
Not easy being the manager of two of music's biggest powerhouses. Shouldn't bother anyone, really.

So, what did your band mate like about the miracle and every breaking wave that he liked?

Well my band mate is really big into melodic textures and odd guitar sounds. Much like The Edge, he likes creating new sounds and melodies around fairly simple chord progressions (EBW is a ridiculously simple chord progression with lots of textures/subtle dynamics to flesh it out)

So I think he appreciated 'peeking behind the curtain', as it were, and seeing all of the various takes, subtleties and approaches Edge had used/tried for the song. I think it offered him a new perspective toward the band, and Edge's passion/inventiveness.

It resulted in us playing with various delays and reverbs when we were putting a demo together, so I think it helped him see the real artistry the band puts in underneath the finished veneer. It also offered him a lot as a young producer/recording engineer, he was mentioning various drum mic techniques and whatnot he had picked up.

I think the "Breaking Waves"working title is a red herring for Raised By Wolves

Sent from down the rabbit hole

Back
Top Bottom