New U2 Song To Be Featured In NFL Network's Super Bowl Commercial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With that in mind, today's world dictates that promotion is needed. For the past decade, great music by Moby, Sting, Kings of Leon, etc.,

Tell me about it. How many more people heard about Kings of Leon when Molly's Chambers showed up on that VW ad? Of course Kings of Leon didn't seem to take any hits to their cred or their integrity for doing it. And that was an ad for a very crappy car (no offense to anybody who bought one).

"There is a culture of lies in white rock and roll, that you don't get in hip hop, you don't get in jazz or other areas, where people won't own up to their ambitions, okay? So they pretend, 'Yeah, man, I'm just a punk rocker here, you know? All I care about is the music, man.'

Wrong.

If you love your music, you're going to want to communicate it. It's about communication. That's why you've formed a band. No one forms a band unless they want to be the Beatles or the Rolling Stones, or the Sex Pistols, or the Clash or Nirvana or whatever.

If you want a private little experience, become a potter. Go buy yourself a potter's wheel and go fuck off."

- Bono

"...so over this precious, we're true to our roots, man. We won't let our music go here or there... I think you have to be careful what you do with your music, but this idea of we're not being into corporations and we don't want to be on the radio... We want to be on every TV show. We want to be on every radio show. That's what we want. That's why we do this.

We're signed to a corporation, Universal Records. There isn't a record company I know that's totally independent.

So I got a pain in my ass sometimes that they want to see us keep it real.

Go work in a fucking coal mine and keep it real."

-Larry

"There is a culture of lies in white rock and roll, that you don't get in hip hop, you don't get in jazz or other areas, where people won't own up to their ambitions, okay? So they pretend, 'Yeah, man, I'm just a punk rocker here, you know? All I care about is the music, man.'

Wrong.

If you love your music, you're going to want to communicate it. It's about communication. That's why you've formed a band. No one forms a band unless they want to be the Beatles or the Rolling Stones, or the Sex Pistols, or the Clash or Nirvana or whatever.

If you want a private little experience, become a potter. Go buy yourself a potter's wheel and go fuck off."

- Bono

"...so over this precious, we're true to our roots, man. We won't let our music go here or there... I think you have to be careful what you do with your music, but this idea of we're not being into corporations and we don't want to be on the radio... We want to be on every TV show. We want to be on every radio show. That's what we want. That's why we do this.

We're signed to a corporation, Universal Records. There isn't a record company I know that's totally independent.

So I got a pain in my ass sometimes that they want to see us keep it real.

Go work in a fucking coal mine and keep it real."

-Larry

Ouch. :wink:

U2 has been licensing its songs for use in NFL ads for many years now, so this one isn't anything too new. And I guess the last album's first single, Vertigo, started off in a commercial, too.

Is it March 3 yet? :drool:

When they were promoting Bomb. They were asked why they were premiering their songs on CSI, The OC, etc. and why the Vertigo iPod ad and the U2 iPod?

Tell me about it. How many more people heard about Kings of Leon when Molly's Chambers showed up on that VW ad? Of course Kings of Leon didn't seem to take any hits to their cred or their integrity for doing it. And that was an ad for a very crappy car (no offense to anybody who bought one).

You know I really think that was the case because no one knew who the hell they were ....except for us:wink:.....it might be a bit different if they tried to do that now with "Sex On Fire"...I will grant you the state of the music biz today is forcing bands who would normally not do that...to do just that..sell their music to a car company etc.

Great thread -- who the f* offered $27 Million for Streets in a commercial? Better yet, why didn't they take it? Cuz it will fetch $50 Million in ten years?

I"m all for the promotion -- it is going to be interesting -- if Bono can say "2009 is our year" and then pull it off well it would be sort of like a baseball player pointing down the left field line as he steps into the box and going deep on the first pitch.

Can someone please post all the little text like short-cuts -- some nice Blue Crackheads gave me the QFT 411, but its sprinkled all around and I'm feeling 44 and clueless.

When they were promoting Bomb. They were asked why they were premiering their songs on CSI, The OC, etc. and why the Vertigo iPod ad and the U2 iPod?

OK thanks for that info....I guess the bottom line though is they still are not exchanging money with the network/companies.....it's all cross promotion

I-pod is a musical product and they had their own...they didn't take the money as Bruce Springsteen said...it isn't the same thing as Led Zeppelin Chrysler car commercial etc.

...I don't know. I always kind of thought that the whole point of being a professional musician was that you actually wanted other people to hear your song.

And, with that apparently twisted logic I have, I would assume that having a commercial on one of the largest advertising days of the year would be, I dunno, a good idea?

Crazy, I know.

Wow. In that clip, Bono and Larry have said everything I've been trying to explain to my friends for so long.

Just because you want people to get your album doesn't mean you're not an artist or you're not genuine or you're a sell-out.

I look at hip-hop and I envy the freedom that those artists have. Jay-Z comes out with full albums detailing how much money he had and he gets *more* credibility for it in the hip hop world.

Rock music is so sadly behind.

on youtube latest U2 video posted with title "white as snow?" and "party at the residence"

the song is so great!

You know I really think that was the case because no one knew who the hell they were ....except for us:wink:.....it might be a bit different if they tried to do that now with "Sex On Fire"...I will grant you the state of the music biz today is forcing bands who would normally not do that...to do just that..sell their music to a car company etc.

While "Sex on Fire" is #1 on the Modern Rock charts, it's not in the U.S. Hot 100 (while GOYB is). The only two rock bands I've seen lately that have been able to have big hits have been Coldplay and Fallout Boy. The latter makes catchy tunes, has very funny videos and has a "pretty" member that all the girls love, yet has the respect of the male community. Easy to see why they have hits. Coldplay has... uh... :wink: Honestly, I'm not quite sure why Coldplay has caught the nation's ear to such a high degree, but they have and good for them. Their "soft rock" sound clearly is working (and has worked for plenty of other bands too).

But both of those bands are young. It would be like U2 promoting "Desire" now. No need - U2 members were young then and they were the hot rock act. New songs were anticipated. But now, many kids will instantly say "why hasn't U2 retired?" Gee, so we can listen to more classics like "Single Ladies", "Hot and Cold" and "My Life Would Suck Without You"? :rolleyes: But throw U2 in a commercial or two, where suddenly U2's music gives the illusion of being "hot" and "relevant" and there's a hit.

It is unfortunate that Billboard didn't count downloads when "Vertigo" was at its peak - it easily would have been a Top 10 hit for U2. As GOYB is not as radio-friendly, not sure what will happen with this song, but it's nice to see it cracked the Top 40 and is already a hit on Triple A (#1) and Modern Rock (#8) and even the Dance charts (#19). But without promotion, this song could fade fast.

Which brings me back to Kings of Leon. Again, they are #1 on the Modern Rock charts, but out elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised to see some additional promotion from them at some time...

I wont see it in Canada anyway....we dont get any of the commercials but Im sure it will be youtubed :)

I have an ATSC/Over-The-Air Antenna that picks up FOX,CBS,NBC,ABC in HDTV from Buffalo, so I can see the American commercials ;)

OMG!!!!11!!!!GG!!!1111 SO LDD OUTSS1!!!!!!!!111WTTFFFF?????? :mad::angry::mad::angry:

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom