New U2 Project: Pixar's Brave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry to say I hate all kind of animated films, including the whole Toy Story series, I know Pixar's are different from Dreamworks, but I don't like them, I didn't know it was compulsory to like them to enter this site.
As for them being among the best American films in the last 10 years, well, those are your words, not mine.

How dare you? This is anti-American!!!

I demand a banning!:angry:

:)

Am I the only one here who hates this kind of films and is horrified at the idea of having to watch one of them just to listen to a U2/Bono and Edge soundtrack?

Why would you have to watch the movie to listen to the soundtrack? It would probably just be one song, anyway. They would likely get someone else to score it.

I'm sorry to say I hate all kind of animated films, including the whole Toy Story series, I know Pixar's are different from Dreamworks, but I don't like them, I didn't know it was compulsory to like them to enter this site.
As for them being among the best American films in the last 10 years, well, those are your words, not mine.

I'm going to have to ask you again.

Have you seen the Pixar films?

Other than Toy Story?

Wall-E, Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, Up?
I mean, it's not mandatory to like them, I really don't care if you like them or not, I just didn't think anyone, I mean, anyone could watch one of the aforementioned titles and not be amazed.

And again, as for them being amongst the best American films of the last 10 years, I totally stand by it and a quick google search will have a lot of movie critics backing me up on this claim.

Other than Lost In Translation, There Will Be Blood and the occasional Tarantino flick, I can't think of anything in the league of Pixar films. I mean, they get it. Not animation, I mean, I don't really watch Pixar films for the animation, but the storytelling, it's incredible.

I'd much rather see a U2 song in a Pixar film than a washed-out remake of an already terrible film (Brothers, although I suppose the remake is better).

Noone will ever remember Brothers, just as noone really remembers Gangs of New York, and everyone wants to forget Batman Forever. If Bono writes a song for 'Brave', the song will be heard for many generations to come. And that excites me a little, just as I suppose it excites him.

(lastly, I didn't want to seem 'agressive' or force you to being 'defensive' or anything :) )

Other than Lost In Translation, There Will Be Blood and the occasional Tarantino flick, I can't think of anything in the league of Pixar films.
Not to be pricky but you're letting a LOT of stuff out.

noone really remembers Gangs of New York

I do, it's an awesome film. :)
Other than this, I agree with you. But Hold Me is so amazing that it makes it up for the joke of a movie it's in. :lol:

As for Marien, well, she has her reasons for sure to not like animations. Opinions are like that.
Personally, I love Pixar films, especially Ratatouille and Wall*E.

Wall*E made me cry at the movie theatre and I totally did not expect to. :grumpy: I will never trust another Pixar movie again.

Other than Toy Story?

I mean, it's not mandatory to like them, I really don't care if you like them or not, I just didn't think anyone, I mean, anyone could watch one of the aforementioned titles and not be amazed.

And again, as for them being amongst the best American films of the last 10 years, I totally stand by it and a quick google search will have a lot of movie critics backing me up on this claim.

Other than Lost In Translation, There Will Be Blood and the occasional Tarantino flick, I can't think of anything in the league of Pixar films. I mean, they get it. Not animation, I mean, I don't really watch Pixar films for the animation, but the storytelling, it's incredible.

I'd much rather see a U2 song in a Pixar film than a washed-out remake of an already terrible film (Brothers, although I suppose the remake is better).

Noone will ever remember Brothers, just as noone really remembers Gangs of New York, and everyone wants to forget Batman Forever. If Bono writes a song for 'Brave', the song will be heard for many generations to come. And that excites me a little, just as I suppose it excites him.

(lastly, I didn't want to seem 'agressive' or force you to being 'defensive' or anything :) )

I agree with a lot of your points but, yeah, a lot of people remember Gangs.

I'm not dissing Gangs. I love that movie, it's incredible, and I've watched it at least 6 times. Luckily, because it's Martin Scorsese, it'll probably never be truly forgotten, but I'm talking about the public at large. In ten year's time only movie buffs and cinéasts will still be watching it.

And regarding great American films from the last decade, I'm only letting a lot of stuff out on purpose. We're talking the best of the best of the best of the best. Ok, I forgot The Dark Knight and Mulholland Drive. But you guys made incredible movies the last 10 years, and I'm grateful, European cinema has gotten somewhat stale. (although, Asian cinema is where it's really at ;))

Actually, a quick look at IMDb:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Memento
3. Wall-E
4. The Departed
5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (sometimes IMDb surprise you)
6. Requiem for a Dream
7. The Prestige
8. Inglourious Basterds
9. Up
10. Gran Torino

Not that you should trust IMDb, seeing that Shawshank Redemption is a terrible film, but, at least, proof a lot of people feel the same way.

Other than Toy Story?

Look, the thing is that I don't like animated films, I don't even want to articulate why, it is a fact: I don't like them, more: I can't stand them and yes, I've seen some Pixar films, I've seen Toys Story, Nemo and Ratatouille, well I couldn't finish this last one, really I couldn't, I think Pixar's are in some ways better than others, but that's not to say much in my case.

So with these feelings towards this kind of films, how do you want me to agree they are the best among American production? I don't think they are, that's all.

If Bono writes one song for Brave I wouldn't have any problem as I didn't have any with Brothers, which I didn't like, or Batman, because I wouldn't feel that I have to see the film, in fact I didn't finish Brothers, but if he writes the whole soundtrack, I think it wouldn't be fair only to listen to it without watching the setting it was created for, and there is where I get my problem just because I will find one of my favourite things in life (U2 or Bono/Edge music) associated to one of my least liked things in life (an animated movie), and I just asked if I was the only one who was feeling that way. As it seems, I am, well, that's ok, I can live with it.

I would rather see U2 or Bono and Edge associated with some film I could enjoy and respect as In The Name Of The Father, but there is one thing I think you're 100% right, a collaboration with Pixar will make a great publicity with the younger audience.

(maybe I got too defensive, sometimes it is difficult to understand what a person really means in a post, sorry for that)

If Bono writes a song for 'Brave', the song will be heard for many generations to come. And that excites me a little, just as I suppose it excites him.

Agreed :up: Being someone who has grown up with Pixar films (Toy Story came out when I was 5) I can really appreciate their universal appeal and their superb storytelling. Pixar seem to have a knack for getting their films so right and I think the prospect of Bono & Edge working on something for Brave is very exciting.

Fair is fair. As I said already, I really don't take issue with you not liking them, I'm just surprised. I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who didn't like Pixar films. So to answer your original question: Yes, I think you're the only one :wink:

Despite how much I would very much like this to happen, I must remind myself to reread the first 7 words of this thread...

"Take this with a grain of salt..."

I'd like to thank this thread for reminding me to check out the teaser trailer for Brave.

Looks damn spiffy. :drool:

If you'll recall from the Toy Story movies, there were some poignant ballads in the middle of those films... "I Will Go Sailing No More" by Randy Newman, "When She Loved Me" by Sarah McLachlin (well, technically written by Newman). I wonder if the extent of Bono/The Edge's involvement would be writing a song in that vein.

Bad idea. Spiderman all over!

U2 needs to make music for... U2!

Secondly, everyone around the world will continue to be even more 'sick' of U2, because their insatiable attitude for doing everything is almost too much for the non-fan to handle. Like they need to stop getting involved with all these side projects and focus on their own music instead!!! For the sake of themselves, the fans, and the general public's perception of the band. Just my $0.02

I don't mind B&E/U2 being popcorn peddlers, as long as the songs are good. HMTMKMKM was a great song (even though Batman Forever was total shit). Goldeneye was good, I thought Tina did it justice. Adam and Larry did a good reworking of the Mission Impossible theme. But lately, the Spider-Man songs and North Star for Transformers...kinda meh.

U2 or Bono/Edge - though I'd prefer the whole band - doing something for Pixar would be lovely. I'd also love to see them some voice overs for the movie characters, that would totally rock.

Back
Top Bottom