New Songs that sound a little like Old Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

269er

The Fly
The album is pretty unique and fresh but little touches remind me of older tracks. Like a piece of U2 DNA passed down.

Most notably the EBW WOWY baseline.

Iris has some of COBL tingling guitar.

Sleep Like a Baby Tonight definitely has a trace of Love is Blindness and Velvet Dress.

Curious to see what else everybody is picking up on.

Cedarwood Rd has a Crumbs from your Table vibe to it. Not that they sound alike, they're both just good mid tempo rockers.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Raised by Wolves definitely sounds like something out of War or Boy

The Miracle sounds a little like Vertigo. The oh-ah-oh-oh-ah-oh-oh-oh is somewhat reminiscent of Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop).

Song For Someone reminds me of SIAMYCGOO. Similar tempo and mood.

The intro to Iris sounds a bit like Streets, also there's an Ultraviolet vibe to the whole thing. The first verse sounds like HTDAAB (All Because of You/Crumbs From Your Table type harmonizing).

Volcano's got that Zoo Station vocal distortion. More generally sounds like Surrender.

The piano in Raised by Wolves reminds me of Endless Deep.

Cedarwood Road sounds a lot like the stuff on HTDAAB and NLOTH (Crumbs, Stand Up Comedy), which is notable because none of the other songs do really.

This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now starts off like Passengers (Slug I think). Then it goes into Two Hearts Beat As One groove. Chorus is a bit like The Refugee.

It is all so Boy and October and UF. I hear tomorrow in Iris...I hear Stranger in a Strangeland in Soldier Soldier...I hear alot of the noises and sounds that first made me fall in love with this band. They are not the same noises...they have wrinkles and experience...but they sound familiar without sounding recycled.

I hear Seconds in This is where you can reach me

Obviously WOWY at the start of Waves

Walk On/ Crumbs in solo part in Song for someone

Duran duran´s Come undone in Troubles

There is plenty of them in EBW... ...but in a very cool way... ...just like a terrific cubistic patchwork...

The intro and bassline ==> WOWY
The guitar arpeggio ==> Every Breath you Take
The crescendo ==> Walk On

:drool:

Agree with everything said above.

EBW/WOWY

Volcano/Surrender- also Seconds when the chanting comes in during and after the "you are rock and roll" Volcano could've been a War outtake- easily fits the Taxi driver mood. Dark, moody yet exciting all at the same time. Also gives an EBTTRT or DYFL or even Desire vibe with its sinister undertones.

Reach Me Now/Two Hearts- The most obvious and in my opinion the best. WOW!! Love it..... the long building intro- and the drums kicking in already remind you of 2 Hearts off the bat. Then the bass. Then I'm jumping for joy because I'm probably the biggest 2 Hearts fan on interference. All I need is the drums and bass. Then "we come from an ancient place..." just as Edge starts a very "Two Hearts" like riff.:up::up: Reach Me Now into Two Hearts could easily open shows.

RBW// Not too sure about this one as far as specific tracks go. Subject matter is flat out early 80s U2 and especially Bono's "I don't believe anymore" lines are very reminiscent of his voice on the early albums- particularly October. Someone also mentioned the guitar in the chorus being something Edge hasn't done since the late 80s---- can anyone elaborate on that?

Iris- Could've probably fit on UF or JT. Wouldn't even have been out of the realm on Boy, though less likely as they were more straight ahead rock then, obviously.

I've heard that the into to Iris reminded people of Temper Trap, but for me it's the guitars from Exit. Which followed a very Discotheque-y synth beginning.

Sent from my fingertips.

There is plenty of them in EBW... ...but in a very cool way... ...just like a terrific cubistic patchwork...

The intro and bassline ==> WOWY
The guitar arpeggio ==> Every Breath you Take
The crescendo ==> Walk On

:drool:

The Police sounds struck me as almost a tribute. It's incorporated beautifully, if it's intentional.

Every Breaking Wave You Take?

Sent from my fingertips.

God I wish you people wouldn't use acronyms. Outside of a few obvious ones I never know which songs you're talking about. Surely I can't be the only one.

That said Breaking Wave is a direct descendant of With or Without You. I hear Ultraviolet in Iris and Please in Cedarwood Road. Velvet Dress in Troubles.

The Police sounds struck me as almost a tribute. It's incorporated beautifully, if it's intentional.

Every Breaking Wave You Take?

Sent from my fingertips.

Wow, I didn't notice that until just now. Also, the first words are too close to be a coincidence.

Thankfully after two albums loaded with past sounds, SOI only has 00's sounding EBW and that chimey guitar in Iris.

The Miracle sounds like One is the loneliest number.

EBW's vocal melody sounds like the hand that built america's vocal melody.

I don't know how that's possible, tempos are completely different on both comparisons, so I'm not sure what you're hearing, but if you say so.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

For the Miracle it's the intro sounding like the main hook of the other song.

For EBW it's the vocal melody only.

Back
Top Bottom