New Edge RTE interview, discusses the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muldfeld

Refugee
I don't know if this has been posted, but I couldn't find a thread about it. It's a long video of an interview with the Edge, and after around minute 23:00, he delves into discussion about the sessions for the new album. It's nice to hear talk from someone who doesn't sound like someone who's rehearsed a bunch of phony self-effacing comments and sound bytes, i.e. Bono.

Well done, The Edge:
http://www.rte.ie/tv/theview/archive/20080331.html

Muldfeld said:
I don't know if this has been posted, but I couldn't find a thread about it. It's a long video of an interview with the Edge, and after around minute 23:00, he delves into discussion about the sessions for the new album. It's nice to hear talk from someone who doesn't sound like someone who's rehearsed a bunch of phony self-effacing comments and sound bytes, i.e. Bono.

Well done, The Edge:
http://www.rte.ie/tv/theview/archive/20080331.html

WHOA THERE! little harsh on Mr. Bon bon there....

yes this interview has been posted and talked about, although not that much, surprisingly....

I do have to say that I did indeed find Edge's comments on the album much more interesting and insightful than pretty much any news we had heard before that :up:

Yes, mr "we're getting lost in the music" was a fountain of knowledge on the new album.

I wouldn't say he "discusses" the new album. He seems quite evasive. No real news here. Obviously the band doesn't want to give away too much. When asked, they simply have to say something, Bono does it "his way", we already know that, he likes to hype things up. It's okay either way, it's finished when it's finished and it's out when it's out.

thewrathofsam said:
doesn't work on me mac.
I was able to watch it on my Mac, but it's pretty powerful. You might need "Flip 4 Mac" installed. It makes watching Windows Media Clips easier.

Hope that helps.

U2girl said:
Yes, mr "we're getting lost in the music" was a fountain of knowledge on the new album.
:lol: Fair enough! But it's something you can trust. There are some specifics on jamming that I know I can trust.
last unicorn said:
I wouldn't say he "discusses" the new album. He seems quite evasive. No real news here. Obviously the band doesn't want to give away too much. When asked, they simply have to say something, Bono does it "his way", we already know that, he likes to hype things up. It's okay either way, it's finished when it's finished and it's out when it's out.
I think you and other folks are right. There's not too much and he was evasive, but at least it felt truthful and not "this is our best album ever!", "It's like punk rock on Venus" or "The Edge's guitar sounds like a dragon". The most eggregious was "This is our first guitar record" I just can't trust Bono anymore, and his political marriage with the Bush administration in trying to put their crimes in the best possible light just doesn't sit well with me. I'm all for helping Africa, but he's crossed a line these last few years of acting like Karl Rove, Condie Rice and Bush are great, but misguided people, who wanted the best for Iraq and the Middle East, and the record doesn't show that. He really upsets me. He used to be such a great guy, but he's gotten corrupted or has corrupted his message to avoid Americans feeling any blame for what's happened.

I'll take any news from The Edge or Mr. Lanois than Bono. I've lost faith in the guy.

Last edited:
That's just hype though, and Edge said he felt ATYCLB and Bomb were some of their best albums, too. He also delivered this gem on Bomb:

"My guitar playing has been fairly minimalist over the years. Now I want to see what a guitar can do in a rock band."

Sorry, but this buries anything Bono ever said as far as I'm concerned. That quote along with Edge's most conservative guitar playing ?!?

And Lanois was the one talking about "creating a masterpiece" this time around. How's that for some big hype ?

Great that we bring politics into this topic.

:|

Sometimes I tend to forget that this forum has a reputation for being the perfect playgound for people who use every opportunity to bash Bono, even if it's totally off topic and has nothing to do with discussing U2 as artists and musicians.

Muldfeld said:
I just can't trust Bono anymore, and his political marriage with the Bush administration in trying to put their crimes in the best possible light just doesn't sit well with me.

what does this have to do with the new album?

Irvine511 said:

what does this have to do with the new album?

it has absolutely nothing to do with the new album...he purposefully went off on a tangent to bash bono...

He really upsets me. He used to be such a great guy, but he's gotten corrupted or has corrupted his message to avoid Americans feeling any blame for what's happened.

are you kidding me? used to be such a great guy? gotten corrupted? Your words are mind-blowing and absolutely ridiculous to be honest :rolleyes:

yeah, i'm not so sure that "Americans" are suddenly going to feel terribly if Bono starts chiding them for their middle east policies. in fact, Bono really only ever criticizes one country for things that, quite frankly, he doesn't know a lot about -- gun control in 2001, say -- and U2 seems to do pretty well over here despite Bono making people feel bad about numerous things. in fact, it could be said that most Americans have a fairly nuanced view of their country and know that it's worthy of much criticism, and much admiration, both of which Bono doles out in equal measure. perhaps Bono isn't one to join a "Victory to Intifada!" rally in any odd 2nd tier European city not because he worries about upsetting US (or, heck, Israeli) record sales, but because, just maybe, his opinions are a little bit more nuanced than someone shouting from a street corner wearing a kuffiyeh and a new pair of Nikes.

Muldfeld said:

I think you and other folks are right. There's not too much and he was evasive, but at least it felt truthful and not "this is our best album ever!", "It's like punk rock on Venus" or "The Edge's guitar sounds like a dragon". The most eggregious was "This is our first guitar record" I just can't trust Bono anymore, and his political marriage with the Bush administration in trying to put their crimes in the best possible light just doesn't sit well with me. I'm all for helping Africa, but he's crossed a line these last few years of acting like Karl Rove, Condie Rice and Bush are great, but misguided people, who wanted the best for Iraq and the Middle East, and the record doesn't show that. He really upsets me. He used to be such a great guy, but he's gotten corrupted or has corrupted his message to avoid Americans feeling any blame for what's happened.

I'll take any news from The Edge or Mr. Lanois than Bono. I've lost faith in the guy.

I agree. He obviously hasn't seen Battlestar Galactica. Until he does I guarentee you he will continue to be ignorant of the of the world and the Cylon threat.

Last edited:
What do you want people to say about their work, moreover when they're still working on it? "don't pay attention to it, it's crap"?
When I'm creating, developing a new project, that's how I feel sometimes, I don't know if it's the same for everybody, but for me this process is like a fight, a fight against myself trying to materialise what's is there inside my mind, trying to understand why it isn't as perfect as it should, but at the same time my work is like part of myself, I feel exited with its progress and I know I can't see it objectively, I need quite a long time to be able to appreciate it with some distance. If I were interviewed about it (thanks God, it will never happen) I think I would say some common place sillyness, that's, in my opinion, what Bono, Edge and most artists do in such situations.

Muldfeld said:

I just can't trust Bono anymore, and his political marriage with the Bush administration in trying to put their crimes in the best possible light just doesn't sit well with me.

Isn't there an episode of BSG on right now? Shouldn't you be watching it?

A thread bashing Bono: a dime a dozen
A thread mentioning BSG: worth coming into
A thread that proves any mention of "new album" somehow is worth a thread: predictable but funny
A thread that pointlessly brings in Muldfeld's elementary black and white view of politics and unites people of the left and right: PRICELESS!!!

Marien said:
What do you want people to say about their work, moreover when they're still working on it? "don't pay attention to it, it's crap"?
When I'm creating, developing a new project, that's how I feel sometimes, I don't know if it's the same for everybody, but for me this process is like a fight, a fight against myself trying to materialise what's is there inside my mind, trying to understand why it isn't as perfect as it should, but at the same time my work is like part of myself, I feel exited with its progress and I know I can't see it objectively, I need quite a long time to be able to appreciate it with some distance. If I were interviewed about it (thanks God, it will never happen) I think I would say some common place sillyness, that's, in my opinion, what Bono, Edge and most artists do in such situations.

i understand everything you said there. as an architect, i feel that way all the time. one minute you think your designing the greatest house ever, and the next you think you need to start over and that it is just awful. you may love it when you finish, which some times is a mistaken emotion for just being really glad you are done. then you look at 6 months later, and then the dreaded "what the hell was i thinking."

i would hate it if right in the middle of the design process if someone asked me to explain exactly what i was doing. i could give a very truthful answer, that two days later has zero relevance. not to mention if every house i designed was essentially an endless budget with no deadline, and it was for me as opposed to a client. then i would really be a mess.

i don't pay much attention to explanations of what they are doing until its done. i do like to hear their takes on it once it is finished but that is entirely different.

it has absolutely nothing to do with the new album...he purposefully went off on a tangent to bash bono...
Well it wasn't the first post, which was to introduce the topic. If it's off-topic, why are you and others then responding to it or bashing me? Surely that's off-topic.

I agree. He obviously hasn't seen Battlestar Galactica. Until he does I guarentee you he will continue to be ignorant of the of the world and the Cylon threat.

cylon="the other", ie (to Americans) Iran; (to Israel) Palestinians, etc

The fact you interpret what I was saying about the show so superficially and without actually reading my comments shows a real lack of intelligence and also respect.

Battlestar Galactica is art that seeks to bring light to the most pressing issues of our time. U2 used to try to do the same. It's preposterous to mock my respect for one art form, and then take such offense at my criticizing what Bono has failed to do these last years.

Interesting perspective. So, you're saying it's difficult to express exactly what's going on in the artistic process?

I guess I like that Edge wasn't trying to get the interviewer riled up. He was very understated, which is something Bono hasn't done in years; he's too much into marketing.

That's just hype though, and Edge said he felt ATYCLB and Bomb were some of their best albums, too. He also delivered this gem on Bomb:

"My guitar playing has been fairly minimalist over the years. Now I want to see what a guitar can do in a rock band."

Sorry, but this buries anything Bono ever said as far as I'm concerned. That quote along with Edge's most conservative guitar playing ?!?

And Lanois was the one talking about "creating a masterpiece" this time around. How's that for some big hype ?

Fair enough.
Bono's comment about "our first guitar record" is still worse, though, and there's something about how he says it, too.

I don't know why you still get so bent out of shape over Bono's hype or why you think this is some recent development. Bono has always, from the very beginning made big bold over the top statements about their work. He has also explained repeatedly why he does this. One reason is to psyche the band themselves up about what they are doing much like the typical sports team rah, rah, type thing. The other reason is quite literally to stir shit up. He really doesn't care if you believe him or not and frankly he isn't really trying to be realistic about what is going on. If you've followed Bono for any length of time you should know that by now.

Back in 2000 when Bono made the comment about applying for the best band in the world job that had the press going crazy one reporter interviewing Bono started off in a kind of aggressive way with challenging Bono on this, and you could see he was convinced that Bono was some egotistical asshole, Bono kind of leaned forward like he was going to continue on with the typical hype but he suddenly changed tactics, relaxed back into a very cool slouch and with a wicked grin said, "Well, it got you talking about it, didn't it?" The guy had no comeback at all for that and conceding Bono's point went on to do a fairly well balanced interview that focused on the music. The point is that Bono's hype has always served a particular purpose and that purpose has never been straightforward information on the work. This has been consistant pretty much throughout their career, not just on the last two albums.

As for the political stuff Bono has never supported Bush's position on the war and has always stated his own position quite clearly when asked but he has also refused to jump on the demonization bandwagon which is why he is generous enough to say nice things about them as people while still saying he feels their approach was wrong. The problem is not with them as people it is with their ideology and there are just as many left wing ideologs as there are right wing ones but they are not evil people. One of the big problems with our politics here in America is that we can no longer disagree without personally attacking and demonizing our opponents and I admire Bono for doing his best not to be drawn in to that trap. He makes these positive statements when the journalists are pushing him to join in on the Bush bashing. He has stated unequivocally that the issue he wants to work on for the rest of his life is the issue of extreme poverty and disease and that he will not take sides in that fight because it is not a left or right issue. It is unfair to expect Bono to get involved in antiwar protests and such. You're issues with Bono in regards to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict are much the same as the IRA's issue with Bono over Northern Ireland. You want him to take sides when what he wants is to get both sides to stop killing each other. Bono has the same views towards activism that he has always had. He is more interested in getting to the root cause of the problem which is the hardening of the heart. He's been preaching love for his entire career and what he's been able to accomplish in the last 9 years is astounding. There are a hell of a lot of people whose lives have been saved because of Bono's willingness to not hate people who hold opposing views to his. It is beyond churlish to criticize him for that. Whether you think he has compromised his art or not is your problem but Bono seems to be quite happy with the choices he has made and has said on more than one occasion that those accomplishments are much more important than whether he looks cool or is somehow 'authentic'. Bono's image as an artist is not more important to him than peoples lives.

Dana

I was able to watch it on my Mac, but it's pretty powerful. You might need "Flip 4 Mac" installed. It makes watching Windows Media Clips easier.

Hope that helps.

:lol: Fair enough! But it's something you can trust. There are some specifics on jamming that I know I can trust.

:doh:

Come on dude. Political stance has nothing to do with music quality. Take bands like RATM and Fugazi. They have great music but their stupider than bricks. Just listen to the music.

Edit:

Crap man I thought this was new.

Back
Top Bottom