New Demos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Songs of Ascent (Mercy, Glastonbury + 8 new songs)
+
Pilgrim's Lack of Progress (North Star, Every Breaking Wave + 8 new songs)

Of all the songs we heard debut on tour, EBW is the only one that should ever see the light of day in my opinion. Exceptions can be made for earlier versions of things like Mercy, or if we could hear what the Bomb era version of NS was like, but as they were, it was a fun novelty but I'd rather hear new material & I doubt they were showing off the best of what they're capable of at the moment.

I am usually a "more is more" type of thinker when it comes to album length. I admit "stadium Arcadium" has a few not so good tracks, but since I love RHCP and am a huge fan of Frusciante's playing, I don't mind the occasional dud. I say load the album up with tunes and if I really can't stand a song I'll skip it or delete it from my playlist.

I am usually a "more is more" type of thinker when it comes to album length. I admit "stadium Arcadium" has a few not so good tracks, but since I love RHCP and am a huge fan of Frusciante's playing, I don't mind the occasional dud. I say load the album up with tunes and if I really can't stand a song I'll skip it or delete it from my playlist.

I think U2 is still pretty attached to the idea of an "album"- a unified body of work that's meant to be listened to all at once. Their big criticism of their own work is either that the songs weren't done, or it sounded like the sum of its parts. They want something that gels together to create a transcendent piece of work like the Joshua Tree did. As fun as it would be to get all the "B sides" to pick and choose for a playlist, I don't think we'll get it from them.

Am I the only one who'd quite happily take 14 great songs and 14 filler tracks over just 14 great songs?

I would be happy with the "filler" songs going on a bonus disc in a deluxe edition, especially since we don't really get B-sides anymore.

I think U2 is still pretty attached to the idea of an "album"- a unified body of work that's meant to be listened to all at once. Their big criticism of their own work is either that the songs weren't done, or it sounded like the sum of its parts. They want something that gels together to create a transcendent piece of work like the Joshua Tree did. As fun as it would be to get all the "B sides" to pick and choose for a playlist, I don't think we'll get it from them.

Joshua Tree was great as an album. It did not need the filler. However, what was great about U2 in that era is that we still got the filler on the singles in B sides. U2 rarely does that now, they save most of the stuff they did not use for a possible album in the future. We really got nothing as far as B sides (bonus tracks) from NLOTH, I guarantee there were several songs that could have been released that were completed. I think a lot of the saving stuff is why they stuggle in the studio now. They need more of a blank canvas over going back to something they did before. As they get older the unused finished songs seem to be safety blankets for them. :shrug: Just release them with the singles (even it is on Itunes) and start new on the next album.

Joshua Tree was great as an album. It did not need the filler. However, what was great about U2 in that era is that we still got the filler on the singles in B sides. U2 rarely does that now, they save most of the stuff they did not use for a possible album in the future. We really got nothing as far as B sides (bonus tracks) from NLOTH, I guarantee there were several songs that could have been released that were completed. I think a lot of the saving stuff is why they stuggle in the studio now. They need more of a blank canvas over going back to something they did before. As they get older the unused finished songs seem to be safety blankets for them. :shrug: Just release them with the singles (even it is on Itunes) and start new on the next album.

Good stuff. Now why don't they let us solve all their problems?

Let's sneak into their studio and pull an Eno and delete their songs.

We don't want that. They just should release a box set with all them. Then they are out in a special form and they can move on.

Sometimes they can turn one into a gem, so saving some is not always bad. But they save a TON of stuff. Edge has even commented on this before. Just release it and move on.

Didn't the last Van Halen album comprise of nothing but redone older material?

It was mostly older stuff they re-did. Which for VH is quite a feat given their many problems (health and other). It wasn't a bad album overall. Not sure how creative Ed can be at this point with all of his "issues" and working closely with Dave to pound out an album of all new material probably is not going to work either.

We don't want that. They just should release a box set with all them. Then they are out in a special form and they can move on.

Sometimes they can turn one into a gem, so saving some is not always bad. But they save a TON of stuff. Edge has even commented on this before. Just release it and move on.

I'm sure they will. They know their audience. The response to the digital box set and the reissues was strong enough that they know their audience. Give it another decade or so and anything good still in the vaults will undoubtedly be released.

Because the vocals actually do sound like Bono's, it's probably somewhat legit. Apparently the poster found it on "some Japanese fansite". I am downloading it in mp3 form for safekeeping, as it is likely to be removed soon.

Nesquick posted this in Pleba yesterday, but I don't know if they are related.

Hi everyone,
Bono is at Eze sur Mer, south of france. New music has been played for two hours sunday afternoon!! Very experimental music.
This message will self destruct in 5 seconds.

(Hope you don't mind me quoting this over here Nesquick! But since your post never blew up I guess it's okay. :wink:)

Something good happened in PLEBA? :ohmy: I generally try to forget that that place exists. :wink:

Something good happened in PLEBA? :ohmy: I generally try to forget that that place exists. :wink:

The Pleba U2 News and Articles thread is a good source for anything currently connected to U2 most the time. :shrug:
(Sometimes people post photos there, but there are seperate threads for that, and it should usually just be new news and links there.)

I might also add that usually when someone posts here some new thing concerning u2, nine times out of ten it's been discussed a full day earlier already over there. :wink:

^ That's right. :yes: The experts at PLEBA are constantly scouring the internet for even the slightest tidbit of information about U2.

Back
Top Bottom