New Daniel Lanois Interview (10/24/2008) New: (11/15/2008)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, and he's probably going to get tired of hearing the record before it even hits the public.

I think I'm going into my cry-baby phase of getting impatient on waiting for this record. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait and I'll be sorry I'm complaining now, but sheesh 4+ years to make a record is crazy...especially when I believe U2 could probably make a better "masterpiece" if they didn't have time to rethink and rework the material to death.

there's always this assumption that they're "reworking the material to death" in between albums, as if to say they're just overproducing and messing up an already great song, hammering the song into the ground......what if they're just writing more and more material and seeing where it goes? Just because they've been working on this record for a long time does not mean that they're reworking songs to death like you say....

No it doesn't, but they did that for the past two albums, so I think its a not-so-irrational fear.

Also, when it comes to singles does the term "release" refer to the PHYSICAL release or the RADIO release, I wonder?

Does it really matter in this day and age? If U2 don't release it until weeks after it hits radio they are setting themselves up for a flop. Really if there's more than a week or two gap between radio and the song being released then the single will suffer. It will get an itunes release a week or two after radio play I'd say and then the physical single will come out a few weeks later in areas like the UK at least. If they don't release it digitally quick enough sales will just suffer for the single, so hopefully they're smart with its release.

No it doesn't, but they did that for the past two albums, so I think its a not-so-irrational fear.

They are reworking songs but they aren't using forced studio techniques to tweak everything. They are actually trying to re-record complete songs with the changes they want so there is a sponteneous feel to it. Lanois feels the re-recorded songs sound better. It sounds worth it to me.

They are reworking songs but they aren't using forced studio techniques to tweak everything. They are actually trying to re-record complete songs with the changes they want so there is a sponteneous feel to it. Lanois feels the re-recorded songs sound better. It sounds worth it to me.

We'll see, I hope so.

"Before flying to London, England, for another 10 days in the studio with U2." Anyone know anything more about this piece of info. Abbey Road again maybe?

Well, seeing that I've never been in the U2 recording studio during any of their sessions from the initial song writing to final mixing....I can't say that I have any idea how long it takes them to come to a consensus on if a song is finished and is ready to be released.

I'm also guessing that this is the case for just about everyone else on this board, so it kind of seems a bit odd that people keep talking about them "reworking these songs to death" when none of us has any proof to that.

I'm mean look at one of their best songs ever: Where the Streets Have No Name. The band put so much time and energy trying to work with that song according to Brian Eno, that they nearly scrapped the whole thing and started from scratch. Thankfully, they didn't and we got the epic masterpiece anthem that is the highlight of nearly everyone of their shows since the JT tour.

Seeing that they have a number of masterpieces under their belt over the course of more than two decades of work...I'm pretty sure that they know what they're doing.

Well, seeing that I've never been in the U2 recording studio during any of their sessions from the initial song writing to final mixing....I can't say that I have any idea how long it takes them to come to a consensus on if a song is finished and is ready to be released.

I'm also guessing that this is the case for just about everyone else on this board, so it kind of seems a bit odd that people keep talking about them "reworking these songs to death" when none of us has any proof to that.

I'm mean look at one of their best songs ever: Where the Streets Have No Name. The band put so much time and energy trying to work with that song according to Brian Eno, that they nearly scrapped the whole thing and started from scratch. Thankfully, they didn't and we got the epic masterpiece anthem that is the highlight of nearly everyone of their shows since the JT tour.

Seeing that they have a number of masterpieces under their belt over the course of more than two decades of work...I'm pretty sure that they know what they're doing.

spot on! If it is abbey road, they could be recording string sections...
I think he has said he has no idea when the album will be out because there is probably a rule set after what Bono said on U2.com!

Interesting...seems to be a philisophical change in Lanois' approach. During ATYCLB, he said they tried to stick to the first take -- since that was the true inspiration (while the "paint was still wet" so to speak) -- and simply add sonic textures and layers to smooth things out and flush them into a finished product. 'Stuck in a Moment' is an example of one of the first takes, if not the first, to which they simply added colour and flourishes. My only fear is if they totally re-record songs, the original passion and emotion will be lost after the "paint has dried" from the original inspiration.

That said, I would love to see if U2 changed the direction of clip 1, which I think has an amazing chant chorus yet doesn't quite jive with the verses. It also seems to want to take off to some higher place that it never quite realizes in the beach clip version. Maybe U2 is taking time bringing songs like that to the next level.

That said, I would love to see if U2 changed the direction of clip 1, which I think has an amazing chant chorus yet doesn't quite jive with the verses. It also seems to want to take off to some higher place that it never quite realizes in the beach clip version. Maybe U2 is taking time bringing songs like that to the next level.

I disagree, I think the synths build up brilliantly just before the guitar solo and the song totally soars until the end.

I disagree, I think the synths build up brilliantly just before the guitar solo and the song totally soars until the end.
I was referring to the versus at the beginning and soon after the beginning. Those don't quite fit. I agree with you that the outro guitar solo is brilliant. I feel the song could keep going however, and those chants could reach a climax in a more organic way, ala 'Bad'.

***HERE IS THE COMPLETE INTERVIEW!!:wave:

New U2 album 'fantastically innovative'

By Michael Oliveira, THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO - If you ask Canadian record producer Daniel Lanois about how U2's work-in-progress album sounds, he'll say it's "fantastically innovative" and "some of their best work."

But before Lanois gets back to tinkering with the tracks - the album is one of 2009's most anticipated releases - he's tackling his real "dream project," touring in support of his own music.

Lanois just finished two weeks of recording work with the Irish mega-band in New York and will now play a handful of shows in Ontario and Boston before flying to London, England, for another 10 days in the studio with U2.

Playing music live is a critical part of being a good producer because it helps reinforce what makes a good song that connects with listeners, Lanois said in a telephone interview.

"By performing live it really helps me to do better work in the studio, because you become aware of what works in the presence of an audience," he said.

"It's a necessary part of one's awareness and education, and you'll make better records if you play live."

Lanois has several albums and dozens of production credits to his name, and has worked with some of the biggest acts in music including Bob Dylan, Peter Gabriel and Emmylou Harris.

He helped mould some of U2's classic albums by co-producing "The Unforgettable Fire," "The Joshua Tree" and "Achtung Baby." He also co-produced "All That You Can't Leave Behind" and one song off "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb."

A short video clip recently posted on U2.com shows a quiet moment in the studio with Lanois and the band. Lanois said the snapshot of the recording process could have been one of "thousands of exasperated moments" they've experienced, although the album is now getting "very close" to completion.

But because the band has been known to make significant changes to compositions at the final stages of recording, Lanois said he has no idea when the album will really be done.

"In the spirit of the moment, in the home stretch, people often come up with their best work," Lanois said, although he thinks the album already sounds amazing.

"It has broken new sonic ground, and I think Bono's lyrics and vocal performances are better than ever," he said.

"I'm glad to see he's stepping up and talking about what's on his mind."

Lanois said he doesn't have a wish list of dream projects in terms of producing other artists and is currently relishing the chance to work on his own music whenever he can.

The outlet for the work that comes out of his Toronto "laboratory" is his own label Red Floor Records, which he started about 10 months ago so he could share music with the world without having to deal with the corporate bureaucracy of record labels.

Case in point, Lanois plans to release three of his own instrumental CDs in a few weeks through his website and another three next year, which almost certainly would have been impossible to do through conventional channels.

"It's a beautiful, very touching body of work but it's not something I would want to burden the major record companies with," he said.

"But it's fine for me because I can put it up on the site and still release what I regard to be some great work.

"I think it's a great thing that modern times afford us all this technology and people have their own little corner stores and shops (online) and sell their wares."

He's also thinking about ways to make his website a behind-the-scenes window into the work he's involved with, not unlike his recent documentary feature, "Here Is What Is," which chronicles a year and a half of his life and work and includes appearances by the likes of U2, Willie Nelson, Aaron Neville, Sinead O'Connor and Billy Bob Thornton.

But Lanois isn't willing to go entirely digital and will continue to perform live and sell physical CD copies of his music.

"No matter how electronic everything gets, I think fundamentally, human beings, we love tangibles, we like to hold things with our hands and feel like we're collecting something, and we should never get tired of giving or receiving a gift," he said.

"Imagine showing up at somebody's birthday and saying, 'Oh, I already sent you your gift on your email.' People want to feel something with their hands."

Lanois plays the Aeolian Hall in London, Ont., on Thursday; the Drayton (Ont.) Festival Theatre on Friday; the Stockey Centre in Parry Sound, Ont., on Saturday; and Toronto's Massey Hall on Nov. 14.

11104.jpg

Canadian record producer to the stars Daniel Lanois is touring in support of his own music and exploring ways to use his "corner store on the web" to connect with fans. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO

The new album is the future of rock and roll. Bruce Springsteen? Rumor has it he has an album coming out in January too. :hmm:

:doh:

Umm, okay, Danny boy. I think he's starting to exaggerate it a little.

I read some days ago that the album is expected to be released in early February.

Yeah...it sounds like this could be U2's equivalent of Sgt Pepper the way he's been hyping it.

I would like to see an interview and some quotes from Eno. I read somewhere that he told coldplay that they sucked prior to working with him. So is there a chance that he would be more honest/critical about how the album is? I know he said awhile ago that Moment of Surrender was the best song he has done with U2 but that is way to vague of a statement (no specific reason) and its only one song.

He might be a little less likely to criticize U2 (or perhaps even of a more informed perspective on them) because of their working together for 24 years, than with Coldplay who until recently he only had an outside observer's perspective on.

Someone should tell Lanois to STFU already. I'm starting to wish it was Bono hyping up the album, at least his bullshit is usually more abstract "punk rock on venus" or was it Mars?? :huh:

Someone should tell Lanois to STFU already. I'm starting to wish it was Bono hyping up the album, at least his bullshit is usually more abstract "punk rock on venus" or was it Mars?? :huh:

uhh NO!! why should he STFU???? have you considered that perhaps he is genuinely excited about this album and that perhaps it could be a really good album????? I would be concerned if Bono said this but I am perfectly happy that lanois is saying it. So your unfounded statement about him having to STFU i really disagree with. So yeahg..... no!

Because he's hyping this album to such an extent that it will be almost impossible to live up to and will ultimately only lead to disappointment.

If it's that great, fantastic, like nothing ever heard before in the history of music, then let us hear it when it comes out. No need to keep saying it. The more he says it, the more worried I get.

uhh NO!! why should he STFU???? have you considered that perhaps he is genuinely excited about this album and that perhaps it could be a really good album????? I would be concerned if Bono said this but I am perfectly happy that lanois is saying it. So your unfounded statement about him having to STFU i really disagree with. So yeahg..... no!

I'm not concerned that it's not a good album or even a great album, and that he's excited about it.

The problem I have is that in each interview he raises the bar to the point of implying that they've reinvented music itself. Sorry, but raising expectations to that extent can only lead to disappointment, no matter how great the album is.

Because he's hyping this album to such an extent that it will be almost impossible to live up to and will ultimately only lead to disappointment.

If it's that great, fantastic, like nothing ever heard before in the history of music, then let us hear it when it comes out. No need to keep saying it. The more he says it, the more worried I get.

I'm not concerned that it's not a good album or even a great album, and that he's excited about it.

The problem I have is that in each interview he raises the bar to the point of implying that they've reinvented music itself. Sorry, but raising expectations to that extent can only lead to disappointment, no matter how great the album is.

That, and why is the usual hype master Bono so quiet on this album, if it's so great ? Why the delay and more writing ?

Is Lanois completely missing something here ?

New record in late February/early March, with an early leak just in time for my 18th birthday. :drool:

Who cares? Just ignore him. Besides, his opinion should have no bearing on yours anyway,

That, and why is the usual hype master Bono so quiet on this album, if it's so great ? Why the delay and more writing ?

Is Lanois completely missing something here ?

Just to throw in my 2 cents...It sounds like Bono's kind of damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

If he says nothing: we wonder why he's quiet...the album must be shit.

If he hypes the album: we roll our eyes...he's full of shit...and so must be album.

What do we want from him?

also consider that Lanois is on tour right now, giving interviews to promote his tour.. not the u2 album. inevitably, you get someone asking about the new u2 album. so, the reason we're getting so many quotes from him these days is because he's getting asked about u2 every third day. it's not that he's SO excited about it he cant "STFU"

put all his quotes together and what do you have? the same things he said the first time he was asked about the record:
1) bono's singing like a bird
2) they're trying to break new sonic ground

that's about it. to be fair now, this latest quote is pretty outrageous.

Back
Top Bottom