New Daniel Lanois Interview (10/24/2008) New: (11/15/2008)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm. So a single in March means tour in 2010 ?

No, I think that's definitely not the case.
I think what we'll be looking at is the tour starting in June/July, in Europe. That will be a stadium tour, then they will head to the US in the second half of the year. They can get a lot of dates in through Aug/Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec.

No, I think that's definitely not the case.
I think what we'll be looking at is the tour starting in June/July, in Europe. That will be a stadium tour, then they will head to the US in the second half of the year. They can get a lot of dates in through Aug/Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec.

:up:
Europe in the summer
U.S. in the fall
South America in the winter
U.S. in the spring
maybe few more European dates, Asia, NZ, Australia etc in the summer
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:
DVD in the fall :p

I hope you're right. Depends when the album is coming out. If the album is coming out in May, tour start in summer might still be possible. I guess it will be Europe then, I'm all for it.

But I still prefer a single earlier next year and the album in March.

When do you think the tour dates will be announced? Seems like there will be very little time between the album release and a potential tour start in summer.

Or maybe they'll decide to start the tour in fall after all.

I hope you're right. Depends when the album is coming out. If the album is coming out in May, tour start in summer might still be possible. I guess it will be Europe then, I'm all for it.

But I still prefer a single earlier next year and the album in March.

When do you think the tour dates will be announced? Seems like there will be very little time between the album release and a potential tour start in summer.

Or maybe they'll decide to start the tour in fall after all.

Okay well first up, I seriously doubt it will be released as late as May. If the intention is "early" next year then it's March, April at worst. Ideally, there will be a six-week time gap between the time the first single hits the airwaves and the album dropping. Then probably three months between the album and the tour starting.
Also, when it comes to singles does the term "release" refer to the PHYSICAL release or the RADIO release, I wonder?
Here's my wild stab in the dark:
Single to radio - Mid Feb
Album - Late March
Tour - July

This is all based on the assumption that everything is indeed wrapped up when Lanois said it would be!

Okay well first up, I seriously doubt it will be released as late as May. If the intention is "early" next year then it's March, April at worst. Ideally, there will be a six-week time gap between the time the first single hits the airwaves and the album dropping. Then probably three months between the album and the tour starting.
Also, when it comes to singles does the term "release" refer to the PHYSICAL release or the RADIO release, I wonder?
Here's my wild stab in the dark:
Single to radio - Mid Feb
Album - Late March
Tour - July

This is all based on the assumption that everything is indeed wrapped up when Lanois said it would be!

I think this is an intelligent assumption to make.

At least somebody speaks to my heart about having tangible CD's. I certainly hope that two albums/one digital release rumor is not true.

Latest Lanois interview at atu2.com

Daniel Lanois says new U2 album is 'fantastically innovative'

The Canadian Press, November 04, 2008

By Michael Oliveira

TORONTO — If you ask Canadian record producer Daniel Lanois about how U2's work-in-progress album sounds, he'll say it's "fantastically innovative" and "some of their best work."

But before Lanois gets back to tinkering with the tracks -- the album is one of 2009's most anticipated releases -- he's tackling his real "dream project," touring in support of his own music.

Lanois just finished two weeks of recording work with the Irish mega-band in New York and will now play a handful of shows in Ontario and Boston before flying to London, England, for another 10 days in the studio with U2.

Playing music live is a critical part of being a good producer because it helps reinforce what makes a good song that connects with listeners, Lanois said in a telephone interview.

"By performing live it really helps me to do better work in the studio, because you become aware of what works in the presence of an audience," he said.

"It's a necessary part of one's awareness and education, and you'll make better records if you play live."

Lanois has several albums and dozens of production credits to his name, and has worked with some of the biggest acts in music including Bob Dylan, Peter Gabriel and Emmylou Harris.

He helped mould some of U2's classic albums by co-producing The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. He also co-produced All That You Can't Leave Behind and one song off How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

But because the band has been known to make significant changes to compositions at the final stages of recording, Lanois said he has no idea when the album will really be done.

"In the spirit of the moment, in the home stretch, people often come up with their best work," Lanois said, although he thinks the album already sounds amazing.

"It has broken new sonic ground, and I think Bono's lyrics and vocal
performances are better than ever."

Lanois said he has no idea when the album will really be done.

This quote is a little unsettling. Not exactly a ringing endorsement that the album really is complete. Mark my words the album will be out next
fall....

The very last quote of that article has me excited...

"...I think Bono's lyrics... are better than ever."

FIIIIINAAAAAAAAAAAALLYYYYYYYYY... I know Bono's still got it in him, but lately it seems his lyrics have been slacking. I'm happy to hear this.

Lanois said he has no idea when the album will really be done.

This quote is a little unsettling. Not exactly a ringing endorsement that the album really is complete. Mark my words the album will be out next
fall....

Lanois is not in the position to say when the album will be done and released.

I don't think he could give a definite date, the band has the last say on that.

In the latest interview he said something about "March".

Daniel Lanois says new U2 album is 'fantastically innovative'

The Canadian Press, November 04, 2008

By Michael Oliveira

TORONTO — If you ask Canadian record producer Daniel Lanois about how U2's work-in-progress album sounds, he'll say it's "fantastically innovative" and "some of their best work."

But before Lanois gets back to tinkering with the tracks -- the album is one of 2009's most anticipated releases -- he's tackling his real "dream project," touring in support of his own music.

Lanois just finished two weeks of recording work with the Irish mega-band in New York and will now play a handful of shows in Ontario and Boston before flying to London, England, for another 10 days in the studio with U2.

Playing music live is a critical part of being a good producer because it helps reinforce what makes a good song that connects with listeners, Lanois said in a telephone interview.

"By performing live it really helps me to do better work in the studio, because you become aware of what works in the presence of an audience," he said.

"It's a necessary part of one's awareness and education, and you'll make better records if you play live."

Lanois has several albums and dozens of production credits to his name, and has worked with some of the biggest acts in music including Bob Dylan, Peter Gabriel and Emmylou Harris.

He helped mould some of U2's classic albums by co-producing The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. He also co-produced All That You Can't Leave Behind and one song off How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

But because the band has been known to make significant changes to compositions at the final stages of recording, Lanois said he has no idea when the album will really be done.

"In the spirit of the moment, in the home stretch, people often come up with their best work," Lanois said, although he thinks the album already sounds amazing.

"It has broken new sonic ground, and I think Bono's lyrics and vocal
performances are better than ever."

awesome :hyper:

Yet more praise from Lanois for this album. Still, he's hardly likely to say "Well actually, I preferred All That You Can't Leave Behind but yeah."
Let's just hope that in these 10 days coming up all loose ends are tied up and the damn thing is finished. The last thing I want to hear is a quote from Lanois in a few weeks time saying "Oh we're going to get together early in the new year to see if we can finish things off".
Okay, so let's be positive and things go well and it's finished this year. If that's the case, by the time Christmas break is over, then album sleeve photos, first single video shoot, mastering etc is all taken care of, we're looking at about Late March, Early April for the album.

Lanois was doing the final mixes in NY a little while ago so they're probably close to finishing.

He certainly seems to love this record...

Lanois was doing the final mixes in NY a little while ago so they're probably close to finishing.

From memory I think he said that the mixing didn't end up happening, but that the band re-wrote some tunes instead and that it was the most productive two weeks he'd ever worked.
Oh, who knows. It's like a see-saw, this album. Someone says a comment that makes it sound like the album's finished, then someone says there's more work to do, then you hear it's just had the finishing touches.... I don't mind admitting I'm frustrated.

hello, i talked with the italian tour manager last week and told me that the record will be published in February. He heard Bono by phone in recent days and said he was enthusiastic about the work.

The tour could be postponed by a few weeks, and start in April. First in USA, and at June in Europe (in Europe will be outdoor).

Bono is back in Europe the first of November after spending Halloween with their children in NY, and will meet in the coming days to Dublin.

I would remind you that they are friends from 25 years.
Ciao

hello, i talked with the italian tour manager last week and told me that the record will be published in February. He heard Bono by phone in recent days and said he was enthusiastic about the work.

The tour could be postponed by a few weeks, and start in April. First in USA, and at June in Europe (in Europe will be outdoor).

Bono is back in Europe the first of November after spending Halloween with their children in NY, and will meet in the coming days to Dublin.

I would remind you that they are friends from 25 years.
Ciao

Welcome and thanks for the info.

So the Italian tour manager talked to Bono on the phone and Bono told him that?

Sounds good.
If the album is really released in February, we should have a single soon (December? Christmas single?).

I HOPE it's true.

I thought this quote from the Lanois regarding Bono's lyrics was particularly interesting:

"I'm glad to see he's stepping up and talking about what's on his mind."

:hmm:

so... February seems right

Maybe U2 acts on Jan 20th, for Obama's Inaguration, with the new single, and also playing Pride :D

come on U2, bring it on, we're tired of waiting!!!

Yeah, and he's probably going to get tired of hearing the record before it even hits the public.

I think I'm going into my cry-baby phase of getting impatient on waiting for this record. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait and I'll be sorry I'm complaining now, but sheesh 4+ years to make a record is crazy...especially when I believe U2 could probably make a better "masterpiece" if they didn't have time to rethink and rework the material to death.

Back
Top Bottom