New Daniel Lanois Interview (10/24/2008) New: (11/15/2008)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone heard Voodoo?

no way.. someone that wants to move the discussion further? bravo!
Voodoo came out in 99 I think. 'untitled' was the single.. a sort of sparse sounding funk/soul tune. .percussion is really crisp, minimal.. interesting if this is the sort of drum sound they're aiming for this time

I remember that record and it definitely sounded like the opposite of what we heard in those beach clips.

:|

Personally, I hope we haven't heard ANY of the songs yet.

Voodoo has a "Tribal" sound that runs through it... lots of African instruments.... could b the FEZ influence...

I could honestly care less what Eno and Lanois THINK about the music. Hell, I could care less what the BAND thinks about the music. They are all too wrapped up in the project and thusly too far up in the trees to see the forest of their work.

What I'm curious about is what some of the outsiders who are "qualified" to critique music think about the work. Then maybe we can get some more geniune takes on what the music is like. Even then I'm suspect because you don't know their agenda. You might get someone who hates the thought of another huge U2 album and will use the weight of their prior work to crush any breath of success and accomplishment from the new album. Or you might get the complete opposite. Either way, what I care most is what I will think of the music when it hits my ears.

But, I wouldn't mind some quality details/descriptions from a source OUTSIDE of the U2 circle to get me going here.

For me I just hope the album is released during my lifetime or it will haunt me the rest of my life...wait...:scratch:

Voodoo is a cool record - and nothing at all like your typical R&B album. The percussion is wonderfully off-kilter and skittish, and it doesn't groove in the traditional pockets. I also felt that the songs could topple over or fall apart in mid-stride.

Seems like a daunting challenge for U2 - and Larry in particular.

But there's a paranoid sparseness to Voodoo as well. I can't imagine a U2 record that stripped back and emotionally naked.

I think the claim is horseshit.

I guess we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom