New Bono Interview..... Irish Independent (New 12/28/2008)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea, the BPM comment made me immediately think of the "punk" version of NLOTH.

But since GYBO seems to definitely be the first single/ video, I'll bet the first song (@150bpm) will once again be the first single (UGH*). Here's hoping they kick off the album with the title track.

*By now, I feel like its a terrible choice for U2 (or most any band) to start the album off with the lead single. Especially in U2's case, the lead-off single doesn't just happen to be the first track on the album. I'm almost sure that they decided on Discotheque/Beautiful Day/ Vertigo as singles, and then set them as the lead off tracks. Only Discotheque, imho, works as an opener, and only an OK one at that. Sorry, I needed to rant about how badly it annoys me that U2 have built there album sequences based on the first single.

*By now, I feel like its a terrible choice for U2 (or most any band) to start the album off with the lead single. Especially in U2's case, the lead-off single doesn't just happen to be the first track on the album. I'm almost sure that they decided on Discotheque/Beautiful Day/ Vertigo as singles, and then set them as the lead off tracks. Only Discotheque, imho, works as an opener, and only an OK one at that. Sorry, I needed to rant about how badly it annoys me that U2 have built there album sequences based on the first single.

Though this is all speculation, I suspect it might be the other way round. The lead single will be the song the album starts off with. So they choose their lead single based on the album sequence.
Just another way of looking at it. :)

Could Bono have been sarcastic about the lenght of the album?

"Its very long"

could this mean the album is very short? because he laughed when he said it, and then went on to talk about how fast the 1st track is (150bpm), The fastest U2 song yet! REM's latest album "Accelerate" is just over 30 mins long, and has alot of high tempo songs! could U2 have done something similar?

Can we please keep all related Bono interviews to one thread. Thanks.

A quote From the Irish Independent 28th Dec 2008.

Talking to Bono:-

So could he sum up the album in three words for the fans who have yet to get the pleasure? "It's very long," he said with a laugh.

"My favourite song is a song called Moment of Surrender, and the first track is 150 BPM, the fastest song we've ever recorded," he said, beaming with a glint in his eye behind his trademark blue glasses.

Now why didn't you get ripped a new a-hole like I did?:huh:

This was posted 2 pages back

Nobody needs audio software to get a general idea of BPM.

Play the beach clip.

Count the beats for a solid 15 seconds
multiply by 4 (to get a rough 60 second equivalent)

If you count for a full 15 seconds, you'll get 37 or 38
X 4=voila!

And yes Electric Co is 160+ forgot about that one

I'm not well-versed in musical terms but aren't you counting the backbeat or something? The song isn't that fast, I'm only counting the hard beats.

From what we hear in the sexy boots beach clip, its tempo is at or about 150 bpm..thats saying it was still work in progress.

Well, that isn't exactly "very long".

Based on Bono's statement (I know, I know) I'd say either the songs are long or the album has so many songs.

Zooropa had 2 6+ mins long songs and it's around the 55 minute mark too.

He could be saying "it's very long" due to the longest break between 2 albums or due to being a long album for him personally. I think some other band member said this was a difficult album to write for Bono.

Back
Top Bottom