New album in October ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hot Press is usually fairly reliable as their owners are very close to the band, also it was bound to be October or November anyway. I'm with AX, it's going to be November.

Salome said:
do EP's still exist?

I don't think it's so common for longtime established bands to make EPs. Younger bands do though.

October and November are, like, practically the same thing. Wasn't there that book about Octember or something like that? Yeah. Well, even if the album doesn't come out til November, we'll have a single by October, and probably an album leak too...

t8thgr8 said:
i dont think it makes much of a difference to them finacially, they're going to make the money whether its all at once or over a period of time and its not like theyre scrounging for change at the moment. If the album is any good it shouldnt matter when its released. They should let the thing stand on its own feet, who remembers anything specific during the holidays anyway.

nobody really buys albums anymore... if you release it around the christmas shopping time at least you can get some parents and grandparents who don't realize that the kiddies get their music from the interweb these days who will go out and pick up the CD.

wtonis said:

If U2 want to cash, they should definitely not tour the US next year. Almost $1,50 to 1 Euro.. :huh: :huh:
Touring Europe (approx. 95 Euro per ticket, would earn more money than touring the US...

Was refering to them releasing the ALBUM in time for the xmas buying public, nothing to do with the tour.

sniggirb said:
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article3265717.ece

"U2 will release a new album in October, Mr McGuinness said, which would be a collaboration with the producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. Unlike Radiohead, they are not seeking to leave their record company. Mr McGuinness said that the band had a positive relationship with Universal which would continue indefinitely."

OH YEAH, NOW WE ARE TALKING! Straight from the horse's mouth...I likey that....

October here we come! :D

the tourist said:
ATYCLB was released in October....

Wasn't it released on Halloween (US)? I remember I saw STP that night and wanting for the show to finish so I could listen to ATYCLB :wink:

So we have only have 6-7 months for a new U2 single :drool:

The U2 machine is getting ready to move!!

Yeah. 6-7 months in the span of U2 is merely a day in the span of other bands. Therefore, I would make the argument that U2's new single really is coming out "tomorrow"

Headache in a Suitcase said:

nobody really buys albums anymore... if you release it around the christmas shopping time at least you can get some parents and grandparents who don't realize that the kiddies get their music from the interweb these days who will go out and pick up the CD.

:angry:

I'm not a grandparent.

I like how they had to include the statement "Unlike Radiohead, they are not seeking to leave their record company." As if we would otherwise assume that U2 were trying to be like Radiohead, because, you know, who isn't?

Official confirmation though - awesome news!

martha said:

I'm not a grandparent.

Ditto. I bought the hard copy of JT 20th deluxe. There are a few times when holding the physical copy of an album is worth it -- a U2 release is all of them.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

OH YEAH, NOW WE ARE TALKING! Straight from the horse's mouth...I likey that....

October here we come! :D

Thats the best "news" source I've stumbled across.

Aardvark747 said:
The usual Christmas cash in from the boys from Dublin...:drool:

If I was a music artist these days, I'd zoom in on a late October to mid-November release myself.

That time of year was always a boom for CD/album sales. Music companies and artists have known this for a while (which is why "Greatest Hits" type of releases are almost always in the 4th quarter). Add in the illegal downloads and the current slump in CD sales and it's only logical that an artist would release in that time frame now. One could still sell several million CD's in a matter of weeks, even with the existing problems.

Plus, for U2, this works. They released AB in '91 and started the tour in early '92 - a few months after fans had time to hear the new work and hear songs on the radio. The same was true for ATYCLB and HTDAAB. While U2 have broke of this pattern a few times, overall, it is successful for them. Fans have a "gift" for themselves and others for the holidays and a new tour to enjoy in the new year. :yes:

So I'm all for it! :up:

martha said:

I'm not a grandparent.

I like my music on CD's and mp3's. :sexywink:

I gave several people the remastered JT as part of a gift package. One person said he already has JT on his iPod. I told him I do too, but this remastered version is a LOT better. However, I then asked if he even has any CD's. LOL! I think he downloads all of his music (I didn't ask how much was legal).

I buy CD's only if I cannot find the song as a download, if I am a collector (like with U2), or if I want something that is special on the CD (and not the download). But the success of the iPod has really made CD's a bit superfluous. I think bands should just release their CD's in regular mode (for those who still play CD's - and perhaps DJ's) and add in a CD that has the songs in high-quality mp3 format.

While giving an iTunes giftcard is great, I also wish one could buy an iTunes giftcard that is specific for a release. For example, I can give iTunes giftcards out with the goal of people buying the new U2 album. But people might instead get the first single, then spend the rest of the iTunes giftcards on other things. That's cool if I don't care. However, people buy CD's for that one artist. I would love it if I could get an iTunes specific card - that is, one that forces them to only download the U2 CD, for example. :yes: If one could do this, then CD's really would start being unnecessary.

Wait a minute, isnt there a new album out and tour about to start now????????? :wink: I thought it was likely last year. :shrug: and if you didnt think so you were being negative.

Who could have predicted fall of 08 with a tour in 2009? :hmm: I just love this place so much sometimes. :wave:

doctorwho said:

While giving an iTunes giftcard is great, I also wish one could buy an iTunes giftcard that is specific for a release. For example, I can give iTunes giftcards out with the goal of people buying the new U2 album.

They have cards like that now, But I've only ever seen tham at Starbuck's. And for new releases and sir Paul, James Taylor, ect. Typical Starbuck's music.

the card idea is an excellent idea (redundency now!).

my mother for example... she owns an iPod. she has learned how to play solitare on it. that's it. it contains no music. she has yet to grasp the entire download "thing." she still thinks she has to go buy the CD from the store and burn it onto the computer and then transfer it to the iPod.

being able to "buy" albums and then download them from home is a splendid idea.

Back
Top Bottom