New Album Fan Reconstruction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam3000

Acrobat
Someone should take the new beach clips, and transcribe the lyrics and music and then a bunch of U2 tribute bands should record how they think U2 is going to make them ... I bet they could come up with some cool stuff ... man, it's going to be tough to waith until 2009.

Come on U2 fans that are also accomplished musicians.... help us out!

that's what i'm saying... honestly, I'm such a fan I like listening to the beach clips and can almost make them all out after listening to them a bunch of time.... someone much more skilled and talented then me could probably record them .... give us something to chew on as we wait for the 2009.

they could even dig up the old beach clips .... and other clips heard on interviews a while back .... you could have a whole community of people coming together and coming up with alternate versions and stuff ... it would seriously be very cool.

... it would even be cool to here ambient beach sounds musically incorporated into the more finished tracks...

... anyways, this is better than my other idea of U2 fans going all covert-op and breaking into the studios ... even though it would be awesome to hear some rough cuts from the rick rubin, morraco, and eze sessions.

i bet there's some top talent in the U2 fan community.... anyone heard of the Grey Album by Danger Mouse based off the Jay Z Black Album and the Beatles White Album. There's a "fan" project that took off.

uhh..what?!

Ok, lets just say that somebody listens to the beach clips, figures out some chords/melodies/lyrics etc and records their own version of it.

I'm pretty sure that the bands record label, management and the four band members would be pretty pissed off about something like this.

It is a very a strong possibility that whoever is responsible for releasing a cover version (even if they are not recieving money for it) prior to the release of the album could be in violation of copyright and therefore open to some form of legal challenge.

And imagine the legal problems if disk jockeys and radio execs around the place decided to pick up a song like that and run with it on radio! (not overly likely, but as we've discovered recently, putting things up on interference really can get huge worldwide publicity ala beach clips!)

Get what i'm saying? :)

Ok, lets just say that somebody listens to the beach clips, figures out some chords/melodies/lyrics etc and records their own version of it.

I'm pretty sure that the bands record label, management and the four band members would be pretty pissed off about something like this.

It is a very a strong possibility that whoever is responsible for releasing a cover version (even if they are not recieving money for it) prior to the release of the album could be in violation of copyright and therefore open to some form of legal challenge.

And imagine the legal problems if disk jockeys and radio execs around the place decided to pick up a song like that and run with it on radio! (not overly likely, but as we've discovered recently, putting things up on interference really can get huge worldwide publicity ala beach clips!)

Get what i'm saying? :)

yeah, I guess....I just think that we'd have some information, rumors, hints, whatever...something related to this in someway...but nothing...and it just seems too unlikely...but I guess you never know..

I'm curious now if we will ever really know why this delay occurred. So many things pointed to a 2008 release like the celebration that the record was done, etc...and then nothing. I just hope the band lets us know more about this some time in the future.

yeah, I guess....I just think that we'd have some information, rumors, hints, whatever...something related to this in someway...but nothing...and it just seems too unlikely...but I guess you never know...

Yeah, because the whole thread to begin with is so realistic in the first place. :doh:

(OF COURSE IT WOULD BE UNLIKELY!)

Yeah, because the whole thread to begin with is so realistic in the first place. :doh:

(OF COURSE IT WOULD BE UNLIKELY!)

umm...I don't know what beach clips you have been listening to or even if you have listened to them...but you can make out quite a bit from them, and it isn't that unrealistic to think that a competent band could try to cover one of them...But I wasn't even directly referring to the thread topic...I was referring to the notion that legal issues were the reason behind this whole delay...and that I highly doubt it....

ok ... leave the legality out of it ... sounds like a fun fan project to me ... wish i had more musical ability.

I thought about this as well, as I've been playing around with some riffs and chord sequences from the u2.com clips and came up with some interesting interpretations. :p
We'll see if I have time to record something, will probably not be full songs though.

I thought about this as well, as I've been playing around with some riffs and chord sequences from the u2.com clips and came up with some interesting interpretations. :p
We'll see if I have time to record something, will probably not be full songs though.

Hmm... I bet you could use Apple Garageband to work up some loops... and someone creative could come up with some cool stuff with just a little time.

Let's see what we have to work with...

• new beach clips eze
  • old beach clips dublin (?)
  • clips from U2.com
  • clip from old interview (abc news.com)
  • clips from daniel lanious(?) documentary
  • (hopefully) clips from an upcoming trailer from "it might get loud"
  • other sources (?)

hmm ... even i have a copy of apple garageband ... interesting.

Have thought about doing this myself, at least with one or two of the new beach clips. The legal issue is bollocks because it is off course not the intention to make money of it. I mean.. How would you do that? Put it on itunes?.. haha lets be serious here.

My buddy has a "novice" recording studio. He has some skills with guitar (mainly acoustic) and we both sing. We can add simple base, acoustic guitar and vocals..

Here's something we did.. It was very early and we used first take on vocals.. Could have fixed it up better but anyway..

YouTube - Cover of U2's Stay

umm...I don't know what beach clips you have been listening to or even if you have listened to them...but you can make out quite a bit from them, and it isn't that unrealistic to think that a competent band could try to cover one of them...But I wasn't even directly referring to the thread topic...I was referring to the notion that legal issues were the reason behind this whole delay...and that I highly doubt it....

Well it's obvious that the legal issues mentioned were in regard to bands covering incomplete U2 songs, not in regard to the U2 delay. :doh:

A band called Mnemonic did this with Ground Beneath Her Feet in December of 1999. They had the lyrics and a short snippet of an acoustic version that Bono and Edge performed to work with. I still have the mp3 somewhere. It was completely different from the version U2 released.

Yep. I got it too. It was very well done!

Still U2 surprised us there cause their version was just amazing as well..

I've recorded my interpretation of the Larry In Studio clip a.k.a. Mariachi.

Before I give you the link I need to know from the mods if they are OK with me posting it here or will Universal hunt Interference down if I share it publically?:huh:
I'm playing all the instruments, and I won't claim that it's my own work of course (since I've used the u2.com riffs in it) neither will I try to make profit from the clip. I doubt fans will prefer my version over U2's in the end, though - especially since their version will probably include vocals from Bono too.

Actually, I've been keeping this under wraps to everyone who knows me, but during sessions for my most recent album, I took a few days out and did this very thing, taking unreleased U2 songs and finishing them, arranging them, and recording them. Three of the 2006 beach clips (All My Life, I Believe, Thank You For The Day), as well as various other songs, from throughout the years (My Time Hasn't Come, Heaven & Hell), and three songs that ended up as mostly original, but were drawn from soundcheck/rehearsal improvs (Wait No More, Sunday Night In June, We Almost Made It This Time). I've been planning on doing a few more, but have been wrapped up in my own work.

I did it totally for my own amusement, though I was planning on sending copies to the band, just to see what they thought. I would be happy to share it with everyone here, once it's finished, and mixed/mastered, if folks are interested. I have no intention of ever releasing it commercially, or making a dime off of it. But it was a fun project, not only to be able to hear versions of these songs in high fidelity, but also to step outside of myself and learn the ins and outs of the "U2 Formula".

I think you're on shaky ground with this idea. Yes, it's cool to do; I remember doing something similar with the AB outakes back in 1995, just for fun. I did it at home, never played it for anyone, and never used it for any original ideas.

But you're talking about using songs that haven't even been released and or finished by the band yet, and then posting it on an internet forum. Surely, as quick as you can say "McGuiness" the u2 legal team will swoop in here and shut down the thread, maybe even the site, and those who put their "songs" up will likely be prosecuted.

Do it at home for your own fun, but don't even think about broadcasting it here.

Well, for starters, I claim no writing credit on this project, even for the songs that I mostly wrote myself. Nor have I used any of these ideas for my own songs.....I have over 2000 of my own songs, none of which sound like U2 or anyone else, so I don't need to pinch others' ideas.

Also, there's no way they can sue, or threaten any sort of legal action, if the project is not for monetary gain, and is freely shared, especially since I'm not using any songs that are known to be in the running for the new album, and mostly consist of song ideas that the band probably don't even remember coming up with in the first place.

It makes no difference to me. I don't care if anyone hears it or not. I was just putting the offer (to share) out there, for others' amusement. If people want to hear it, that's cool. If not, who cares.

Back
Top Bottom