New Album Discussion: Worthwhile, Informative, And Not Even Slightly Grating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the Danger Mouse stuff doesn't work out for the next album then I'd love to see them take a Foo Fighters approach (see Wasting Light). Record a bunch of songs in one of their garages using old school analog equipment and minimal gear (exception being Edge's guitar stuff of course). No Pro Tools, digital audio enhancements or any modern production crap. Release something like that, and I bet it'd be truly awesome.

This i like.:drool:

yeah that'd be amazing! Only problem would be they'd spend 2 or 3 days trying to do a perfect take of a song....nail it...then decide to re-arrange and re-record it a dozen times until they give up and decide they'd rather just spend a year with the comfort and safety net of ProTools :wink:

but seriously, if they ever just took the Wasting Light approach and also really honed the songs in rehearsal before recording instead of writing in the studio it could be amazing!

If the Danger Mouse stuff doesn't work out for the next album then I'd love to see them take a Foo Fighters approach (see Wasting Light). Record a bunch of songs in one of their garages using old school analog equipment and minimal gear (exception being Edge's guitar stuff of course). No Pro Tools, digital audio enhancements or any modern production crap. Release something like that, and I bet it'd be truly awesome.
Ooh, nice idea. :drool:
I imagine that a lot of HUTDAB-era stuff would have actually sounded pretty awesome if they had taken this approach.

but seriously, if they ever just took the Wasting Light approach and also really honed the songs in rehearsal before recording instead of writing in the studio it could be amazing!

Uhh, isn't this the approach they took on ATYCLB? More time writing, less recording?

No thanks. Don't want another one of those.

Uhh, isn't this the approach they took on ATYCLB? More time writing, less recording?

No thanks. Don't want another one of those.

I think it's more of the Rick Rubin approach, no? Wanted the songs done by the time they got to the studio, record it, be done with it. Though we only got what, Window in the Skies out of that?

GAF, I'll pretend you're not making a Zooropa reference, and answer: I want an Eno-produced album, no Lanois, and no clean-up bullshit after the fact from Lillywhite. I want the band to listen to his suggestions because he's smarter than any of them.

And as usual, I'd like them to follow the music until they get to where it takes them. The problem is getting off when the ride is over, and Eno knows that stopping point.

Barring that, Godrich. But that will probably never happen.

I think it's more of the Rick Rubin approach, no? Wanted the songs done by the time they got to the studio, record it, be done with it. Though we only got what, Window in the Skies out of that?

And that song was crap. Next suggestion?

This band has proven that they do their best work when given he time to explore different avenues. Fuck Rick Rubin and his stripped-down approach. This is a different type of artist. He's not creative enough to handle the best they have to offer.

And that song was crap. Next suggestion?

This band has proven that they do their best work when given he time to explore different avenues. Fuck Rick Rubin and his stripped-down approach. This is a different type of artist. He's not creative enough to handle the best they have to offer.

No, my point was just that it seems to be the more direct approach described rather than the ATYCLB sessions, wasn't suggesting that they should move forward with the Rubin approach.

That's kind of what I wanted after hearing NLOTH2, I wanted them to take a bunch of outtakes/unfinished songs and produce them themselves.

GAF, I'll pretend you're not making a Zooropa reference, and answer: I want an Eno-produced album, no Lanois, and no clean-up bullshit after the fact from Lillywhite. I want the band to listen to his suggestions because he's smarter than any of them.

you mean like with Where The Streets Have No Name? oh, right... Eno wanted to erase the tapes, and the final version turned out to be a mix by lillywhite of different takes that Eno wanted to get rid of.

Eno is not the all knowing genius, and Steve Lillywhite is not this guy who just fucks everything up at the end. reality is the band, especially at this point in their careers, are the ones who ultimately fuck up. they are never just locked away in a studio creating music like they once were, largely because of bono's constant world travels constantly taking him away for huge chunks of time. this is why the sessions seem so disjointed.

but i do think it has to be eno/lanois next... and it would be nice if they could just lock themselves away, ignore the distractions, and focus on the music instead of trying to save the world. let chris martin save the world.

And as usual, I'd like them to follow the music until they get to where it takes them. The problem is getting off when the ride is over, and Eno knows that stopping point.

Barring that, Godrich. But that will probably never happen.

I'd like a break from the trinity for a while. Bring them back for the final U2 album. Rubin or Danger Mouse or whoever.

Say what you will about ATYCLB, it was a new sound and a fresh direction. Something Bomb and NLOTH (despite the hype and AB comparisons from Lanois), even if arguably better records, didn't have.

I'd like a break from the trinity for a while. Bring them back for the final U2 album. Rubin or Danger Mouse or whoever.

Say what you will about ATYCLB, it was a new sound and a fresh direction. Something Bomb and NLOTH (despite the hype and AB comparisons from Lanois), even if arguably better records, didn't have.

I got to speak to Lanois in late 2008 when he was in town playing a show.

At the time, the album had just been delayed to March 2009 and he was discussing why that was the case. the album that existed at that point was quite different from that which we ended up with.. Winter was on it, SUC and Crazy sounded nothing like they doe now, (remember beach clip #5?).. basically, it was a different album..

this was the album that was hyped to us.. we'll never hear it, so we cant say it's better or worse.. but this was what Lanois was hyping. he was excited about what he thought was a fresh-sounding "masterpiece" (his word), but the band felt the need to rework it some more.. I wonder if we'll ever know.

the album that existed at that point was quite different from that which we ended up with.. Winter was on it, SUC and Crazy sounded nothing like they doe now, (remember beach clip #5?).. basically, it was a different album..

this was the album that was hyped to us.. we'll never hear it, so we cant say it's better or worse.. but this was what Lanois was hyping. he was excited about what he thought was a fresh-sounding "masterpiece" (his word), but the band felt the need to rework it some more.. I wonder if we'll ever know.
Maybe we'll get some glimpses of what could have been from a NLOTH anniversary edition or an end-of-career unreleased material box set? Otherwise, I don't imagine we'll ever get to hear most of it.

And that's why i'm not sure what to trust/believe in Bono's latest comments to at the films opening....where he got choked up talking about U2 being near extinct in terms of radio play and artistic credibility.

Does that mean we'll get nothing but Crazy Tonight's where they try really, really, really hard to be on the radio and the song is just crap (IMO). Or does he mean that their method of trying to record these big songs has pushed them to this point, and they need to go back and just discover something new, and if it's great, it'll be remembered that way.

I don't think he got choked up - I think his throat got dry, hence the throat clearing right after those few words that sounded a little "strangled."

Does that mean we'll get nothing but Crazy Tonight's where they try really, really, really hard to be on the radio and the song is just crap (IMO).

Given that Crazy Tonight did nothing as a single and they played the album/single version all of what, twice? (once on Letterman and once while they were filming the video), I don't really see how anybody would take this as meaning they're going to give us more of something that failed commercially, and something that they shied away from on their huge, record breaking world tour.

They just need to realize that they can't have both and because of their age, and what it takes to have a "hit", that chasing that ghost isn't going to do any good anyway.

So they should finally make another album that isn't artistically compromised.
Would coincide nicely with the last time they did that. 2013 = 20 years since Zooropa.

I know Bono's an emtional guy who wears his heart on his sleeve, but I am skeptical of the man getting choked up over the thought of the band becoming "irrelevant."

But I'm not going to go rush to watch it again to try and analyze those 4 seconds of video, either. ;)

Given that Crazy Tonight did nothing as a single and they played the album/single version all of what, twice? (once on Letterman and once while they were filming the video), I don't really see how anybody would take this as meaning they're going to give us more of something that failed commercially, and something that they shied away from on their huge, record breaking world tour.

That's a very good point. Even if the next album is 'commercial', given u2's (logical) reactionary nature, it definitely won't include songs like Crazy Tonight or Boots.

Eno is not the all knowing genius, and Steve Lillywhite is not this guy who just fucks everything up at the end. reality is the band, especially at this point in their careers, are the ones who ultimately fuck up.

In 1984 Eno had the foresight to just say "that's a wrap" after rambling Bono created Elvis Presley & America. Genius. Thankfully the band had the guts to go with him. And Eno allowed the band to create stuff like Boomerang & Love Comes Tumbling.

In 1993 the band James trusted Eno to release a bunch of demos called Wah Wah. Genius.

If Eno could create that spark again - and U2 have the guts to release unpolished gems, we could have one hell of an album! Sadly the band lacks confidence in themselves and tries too hard for a hit single. Forget it. Many of the best (and critically acclaimed) albums work as a complete album, not as 3 singles and 7 filler tracks. We don't want GaGa or Pitbull. We want U2.

In 1984 Eno had the foresight to just say "that's a wrap" after rambling Bono created Elvis Presley & America. Genius. Thankfully the band had the guts to go with him. And Eno allowed the band to create stuff like Boomerang & Love Comes Tumbling.

In 1993 the band James trusted Eno to release a bunch of demos called Wah Wah. Genius.

If Eno could create that spark again - and U2 have the guts to release unpolished gems, we could have one hell of an album! Sadly the band lacks confidence in themselves and tries too hard for a hit single. Forget it. Many of the best (and critically acclaimed) albums work as a complete album, not as 3 singles and 7 filler tracks. We don't want GaGa or Pitbull. We want U2.

I love TUF as much as the next guy, but the TUF approach isn't definitive U2. Achtung Baby is just as much U2 as TUF is, and the approach was very different: it's a very finished and polished album, under Lanois primarily and probably just as much under Eno as under Lillywhite.

Every Breaking Wave is a heartbreaking song. Assuming they hadn't produced it to death, I feel sure it would have been up there with MOS as one of the only songs from NLOTH (a record I like quite a bit) I want to listen to spontaneously, independent of the album itself.

Back
Top Bottom