New Album Discussion 9 - Larry needs new arms, ba rum pa pum pum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And then there is silence again....Why no announcement of the SOS album? It's been more than 5 years since the last album.

I know he's only just finished, but you'd have thought there'd be a constant stream of promotions in the lead-up to Christmas and an album announcement? Maybe Letterman and Maron are the next bits of that.

I think there's a very good chance of more Bono dates being announced soon, according to U2songs. Question is, what part of the world?

I think there's a very good chance of more Bono dates being announced soon, according to U2songs. Question is, what part of the world?

U2wanderer from U2 songs was saying new tour dates should be announced this week.

https://www.independent.ie/entertai...s-still-difficult-to-talk-about-42207982.html

https://www.u2songs.com/news/adam_clayton_interviewed_about_francis_bacon_doc
Asked in the interview about the possibility of U2 having to tour without Larry Mullen because of recent comments Larry made in the press, Adam shares, “It’s very hard to face, if it were something we had to face, I imagine you would do what needs to be done, but it wouldn’t be a decision we would take easily or comfortably. But I don’t think that’s the decision we are facing at the moment.” Adam also shares, “I think Larry has some significant injuries from a repetitive motion – something that drummers are susceptible to, and sportspeople – so I think he wants to mind himself and take some advice and find out what’s the best thing to do.” In an interview in advance of the Kennedy Center Honors, Mullen made it clear that U2 would have to tour without him in 2023 if a tour was planned. Clayton’s comments seem to suggest that whatever plans are in the future for U2, they haven’t had to face a decision at this point.

Special announcement in 20 hours on U2’s Instagram

Only on Instagram??? Could be another video available for 24 hours!!! Man after five years of lame releases and no album I'm happy with a new designed u2 sticker. .

Good enough for me.

No tour without Larry.
But yea residency with Larry, they just hope it doesn't come down to that.

Which leads to something that I thought of from the start here but just never really brought up in the ehrmagod dey cooodnt deu Vergus wifout Lurry overreaction...

What if the reason why they're thinking of being able to do it without Larry is because Larry's the one being a dick about the whole thing? Like all three of them really want to move forward and Larry is holding the possible surgery over them when he easily could have gotten it done last year?

Which leads to something that I thought of from the start here but just never really brought up in the ehrmagod dey cooodnt deu Vergus wifout Lurry overreaction...

What if the reason why they're thinking of being able to do it without Larry is because Larry's the one being a dick about the whole thing? Like all three of them really want to move forward and Larry is holding the possible surgery over them when he easily could have gotten it done last year?

This has been my thinking.

I think Bono and Edge need this to exist — they can’t imagine a life without being in front of an audience and writing songs and pushing the songs. It’s in their blood. They’re still hungry (especially Bono, who’s always hungry).

Adam knows he’s the single luckiest person on the planet, and is likely DFW.

Larry seems to be the one who is least … on board with the whole U2 thing at this time. He probably could walk away and be fine with it.

Did they have early access to shows the first to around? That was only through U2.com?

Seems more of a tour announcement kinda thing. Or, maybe, a residency type announcement.

Yeah, U2 membership code for the initial book tour. I’d guess it’s more of that.

Tough to say. A short-term residency that requires less travel seems easier to say yes to than JT30 *unless* he’s against the idea of a second hits/old album tour within a decade (or a Vegas residency in general).

My biggest problem with your theory here is that literally no one from the band or the surrounding camp has said or even implied that they’re ‘thinking of being able to do it without Larry’

It’s all made up from a sarcastic quip from Larry and even that doesn’t state that they’ve been thinking of it.

On the other hand, you’ve got Bono outright stating that they’ve got a broken man who needs fixing and you’ve got Adam outright stating that he doesn’t think theres any such decision (to play without him) in front of them right now..

:shrug:

My biggest problem with your theory here is that literally no one from the band or the surrounding camp has said or even implied that they’re ‘thinking of being able to do it without Larry’

Adam literally just said that it would be hard, but they would do what needed to be done.

They will play without Larry if they must.

Adam literally just said that it would be hard, but they would do what needed to be done.

They will play without Larry if they must.
Right? He just said it.

Asked in the interview about the possibility of U2 having to tour without Larry Mullen because of recent comments Larry made in the press, Adam shares, “It’s very hard to face, if it were something we had to face, I imagine you would do what needs to be done, but it wouldn’t be a decision we would take easily or comfortably. But I don’t think that’s the decision we are facing at the moment.”

Reads to me like he's saying it would be tough, they don't want to and don't think they need to, but will if they have to.

Thus the "hey, what if Larry's just being a dick" question.

Also lines up with Neil McCormick's comments about how this wouldn't be the first time they had to convince Larry to do something he didn't want to.

And also kinda lines with the benevolent dictatorship quip and the politburo line.

Last edited:
"We've got an offer to open this new amazing venue in Vegas next year. They want us to play a couple of nights a month, for a few months in exchange for a suitcase of cash. But its next-gen tech so would be cool to see what we could do with it."

"Great.. when is it?."

"Towards the end of 2023. I guess it might get delayed in to the start of 2024."

"OK, let's do it. Anyone think of a reason not to do it? Nobody has anything personal planned or any objections or good reasons we shouldn't? We don't even have to have the new album finished, so just wanted to check we're all good? Remember what happened with PopMart? Nobody has any surgeries planned or anything like that?"

At a very simplistic level, that's presumably how these things go?

Last edited:
as this (or perhaps the last) thread has shown - some people are not able to get the idea out of their head that Vegas is where old crooners go to sing in a smoke filled cocktail lounge until they die. perhaps larry is one of those people, while the rest of the band realize it's not 1982 anymore.

or, a wise interference bard once proclaimed that larry was not on board with tours that celebrate past albums.

who knows.

adam's comment reads to me like this is something they want to do and are prepared to do it with 3 if someone's going to be a cranky pants about it... but that someone's been a cranky pants in the past and they've always been able to get him to come around.

limited run of shows at the Beacon Theater in New York is the big announcement - for Bono's Reading Rainbow.

side note... Beacon Theater? Owned by Madison Square Garden Corporation, the same folks who are building the Spheres in Vegas and London.

The Beacon is also the test venue for the "sphere immersive sound" audio system that the Spheres will use.

The Beacon Theatre now features a groundbreaking new audio system – Sphere Immersive Sound – making The Beacon THE best sounding venue in the world.

Sphere Immersive Sound uses 3D audio beamforming technology to deliver targeted, crystal-clear and uniform audio to every seat in the house – setting a new standard for sound quality in performance venues. This technology substantially improves the audience experience at the Beacon Theatre, and provide artists and engineers with greater programming control and flexibility. With consistent audio levels from point of origin to destination, the sound to each seat is sonically perfect – audiences hear the music the way the artist intended, with clarity and purity.

The Beacon Theatre audio experience consists of five arrays, which are specifically tailored to the venue and direct sound to its four sections – orchestra, loge, lower balcony and upper balcony – with precision. In a traditional speaker set up, fans on the left side of the theater hear audio from the speakers on the left side of the stage, and the same thing on the right side. With Sphere Immersive Sound, audio beams from the left, right and center speaker arrays reach every seat in the house, so there’s absolutely no loss of quality and no distortion based on where you’re seated – whether you’re in the front row or the back of the balcony.

This technology is being further customized and scaled for MSG Sphere in Las Vegas, which will house the world’s most advanced concert audio system when it opens… with 164,000 speakers and precise spatial capabilities delivered through wave field synthesis technology that will provide unique and immersive listening experiences.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom