New Album Discussion 9 - Larry needs new arms, ba rum pa pum pum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono’s interview with Maron fell through. Marc said that it looked like it was going to happen, but when Bono’s show got to LA, his people told Maron that he was no longer doing long form interviews because he wanted to save his voice. Lines of communication are still open and it may happen later.

Bono’s interview with Maron fell through. Marc said that it looked like it was going to happen, but when Bono’s show got to LA, his people told Maron that he was no longer doing long form interviews because he wanted to save his voice. Lines of communication are still open and it may happen later.

Actually makes sense. Being that he’s got oh, 3+ months before the shows resume, one could foresee it getting back on schedule to coincide with SOS’s rumored March release.

Maron said he’s willing to meet them halfway but won’t bend over backwards. He said they got petty car in the planning stages and feels like they strung him along a bit, regardless of how good their reason was.

He addressed the question on the Q&A for WTF+ subscribers. I asked the question and wasn’t expecting a response.

Maron said he’s willing to meet them halfway but won’t bend over backwards. He said they got petty car in the planning stages and feels like they strung him along a bit, regardless of how good their reason was.

He addressed the question on the Q&A for WTF+ subscribers. I asked the question and wasn’t expecting a response.

I’d be interested to hear the audio of THAT

He talked about it. You can hear it if you subscribe to WTF+. It’s $5/month and you get a weekly bonus episode, access to the glorious first 500 episodes, and there are no ads.

He was strangely diplomatic. He just sounded disappointed. He’s a U2 fan.

That's a real shame, I was looking forward to that. Its that sort of long form interview where we typically learn something new, especially with someone like Maron in the chair.

we've probably got 2-3 years of U2 promotion ahead of us, with much of it beginning this winter.

honestly, this is probably the last hurrah for U2 putting themselves out there. Let's enjoy it!

Aaaand three more Bono Beacon dates on sale next week.

Two idiotic notes:
1. No subscriber presale. Instead, a “random selection process.”
IMG_7203.JPG

2. Meanwhile plenty of platinum tix just sitting there for the existing shows that won’t be moving at those prices.

Last edited:
the platinum prices drop as you get closer - alas - it's dumb.

Yep. I understand a certain amount of the best seats being pre-set that way but they put almost the entire loge and front orchestra on platinum from the jump. Greedy. In effect, they’ve priced themselves out of sell outs. Curious if these additional shows will utilize a lower quantity of platinum tix.

the dynamic pricing model - in theory - makes total sense from a business standpoint and, frankly, from a fairness standpoint - as it allows the money to go back to the people who are actually putting on the event vs. some random company that is unaffiliated (i.e. stubhub, random brokers).

in practice? the customer remains screwed.

the secondary market has always seen crazy prices. that an artist would want to capitalize on that and take that money for themselves isn't exactly a crazy concept - especially when you consider how little artists receive from selling their music the traditional way these days.

attempts to limit the secondary market were shot down by local governments - new york in particular, where a law put into place to protect consumers rights to transfer tickets ended up back firing and preventing some of the things some artists (pearl jam, springsteen) had put into place to try and make sure that true fans got the best seats.

end of the day - the ticketmaster / live nation monopoly needs to be broken up - but that won't solve every issue. costs for in demand live shows is only going to grow. but it's a start.

I don’t disagree with the theory. However, from what I’ve seen, these shows have only been dynamically priced in that
- some of the platinum tix went back into the general (still high) pricing pool during the first day or two of regular onsale.
- some of the cheapest tix went from 106 to 160 in between the u2.com presale and the general onsale.

There has not been a consistent adjustment to demand across tiers yet. And yeah, they’ve got time and will eventually shift costs downwards. But if they’re only waiting until day-of, they’re shooting themselves in the foot in terms of both data and dollars.

The NY resale thing kills me and seeing how it fared for the PJ MSG show vs the rest of the tour means that there *are* meaningful solutions artists can employ on ticketmaster… if local laws don’t interfere.

the dynamic pricing model - in theory - makes total sense from a business standpoint and, frankly, from a fairness standpoint - as it allows the money to go back to the people who are actually putting on the event vs. some random company that is unaffiliated (i.e. stubhub, random brokers).

in practice? the customer remains screwed.

the secondary market has always seen crazy prices. that an artist would want to capitalize on that and take that money for themselves isn't exactly a crazy concept - especially when you consider how little artists receive from selling their music the traditional way these days.

attempts to limit the secondary market were shot down by local governments - new york in particular, where a law put into place to protect consumers rights to transfer tickets ended up back firing and preventing some of the things some artists (pearl jam, springsteen) had put into place to try and make sure that true fans got the best seats.

end of the day - the ticketmaster / live nation monopoly needs to be broken up - but that won't solve every issue. costs for in demand live shows is only going to grow. but it's a start.
The whole dynamic pricing piece feels rough but I thought this Alan Cross article was quite fascinating and surprising.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9053769/alan-cross-defence-ticketmaster-dynamic-pricing/

it's really rude and disrespectful for boner to schedule the last show for 2 days before i'm due to be in new york for a 3 day conference. he could have consulted with me first and we could have avoided this.

First he dips out on Maron, now no call to you? Christ, what an asshole.

Possibly raises the odds of landing a ticket to the earlier shows, if they drop those ticket prices to meet some of the non-platinum demand that’ll come in for the new shows.

Possibly raises the odds of landing a ticket to the earlier shows, if they drop those ticket prices to meet some of the non-platinum demand that’ll come in for the new shows.

The market will end up flooded and you'll be able to find something reasonable, just need patience and persistence.

These shows while certainly in demand considering the venue size, don't have the casual fan clamoring for a ticket, it's really just us foolish die hards. You're now at over 30,000 tickets, and a few folks saw it already in November.

The market will end up flooded and you'll be able to find something reasonable, just need patience and persistence.

These shows while certainly in demand considering the venue size, don't have the casual fan clamoring for a ticket, it's really just us foolish die hards. You're now at over 30,000 tickets, and a few folks saw it already in November.

There’s demand, just not at these prices. I believe he could’ve sold all the shows out completely without the platinum bullshit. 160-225 in the loge and 250-350 in the orchestra and there’d be nothing left.

Although, I’m still excited for this release but I also can’t help but feel like U2 killed any momentum and excitement with a 4.5 month gap between the book it’s connected to.

Although, I’m still excited for this release but I also can’t help but feel like U2 killed any momentum and excitement with a 4.5 month gap between the book it’s connected to.

You're right. And so we"ve got another album on the shelves.

Weird isn't it?

Maybe they'll use the next run of shows to get things going again with the Letterman show etc, but can't help feel the album should have been released on streaming at the same time as the book.

Anyone get chosen for the Bono’s Beacon-is-technically-on-Broadway Book Show subscriber lottery?

::runs to mailbox::

::slowly walks back::

Ok, ok, maybe no more fat Bono jokes for a little while.

Back
Top Bottom