New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Over on Reddit, “Ultra Vi-oh-let” has the plurality but not the majority.

There are clips where the Edge is bringing his lips together and clearly making an “ov” sound. However, live performances are not canon, and honestly whatever Bono says today is not canon. Guarantee he’d say “ultra violet is a prayer. The lyrics are actually “no one can see the ultra violet” “ knowing how much he likes to cram as many syllables into old songs.

dwight-schrute.gif

ultra violent dwight

So I waited to comment, because it took me about 6 listens of Pride over two days to land on how I felt about it. Pride I give a 6 mostly because of the last half. WOWY is a bit tougher.

At first listen I didn't like it much. Then reading all the comments about the "cracks" in Bono's vocal, which stood out to me at first as well. But here's the thing. This style suits WOWY much better than Pride. It's about a troubled relationship, a man feeling broken with "nothing left to lose" So the vocal makes perfect sense to me and feels right and actually give a whole new dimension on the feeling of this song.

I also really like the lush synths going on in the background. I think that should have been used even more prominently.

So now the bad. I've said it before, but I feel like they are still married to much to the original and even in a reimagining, can't let go of it enough. I don't love the transition from the low to higher register. Why do we even need it?? Could have been more interesting if the entire song was low register and it never "lifted". Thinking more Johnny Cash-esque. But again, too married to original. In the back half, this is where they needed a good vocal editor. I used to comp vocals back in the day. There are parts here where he slips just out of key for a moment, that could and should have been cleaned up. Also the mix is a bit odd. Bono is so up front at the beginning which is fine, I think it works for effect. But then when the big woooahh ooohhhs, come in, it's way back in the mix, which is odd sounding.

And of course the ending. I feel like we are getting these truncated ends maybe because time restraints of putting 40 songs on cd and vinyl?? Sort of how SOI had songs that could have played out with cool outros (The Troubles) but did not.

Also, my least favorite part is Bono singing "with our without you" as the final line. To me the much better end would be to end the song with the "woooaaah oooohh oohhh oohhh's" once those end - a beautiful synth, long fade out ending.
But again, too married to the original, so he sticks that last line in there. At least the original has a gorgeous long played out end.

That said, I give this a 6.5 cause I feel that I do really like the low register, broken man vocal here, I like the backing synths and instrumentation. So opposite of Pride. I'd take a full song of the first half of WOWY, and I like the back half of Pride.

Now bigger picture of this project. I agree with some of the posts here. I think if it had come out the same day as the book, and sold it separately and as a book+album combo, it would be understood better. I think the songs would be seen more as musical sketches or accompaniment to the chapters. Making it its own release so far from the book release makes it seem like a much bigger deal and thus the expectations of a polished and truly solid reimagining become higher.

And while re-doing 40 songs is not at all lazy... Some of these feel like they should have had more time put into them.

One last thing please, before you post "But it doesn't have the things I like from the original!!!" Please reflect on that statement and realize that that is the entire point of this project. I'm on the opposite side and think that they are sticking a bit too close to the original songs.

So far a 6, a 6.5, and if BD doesn't have any big shifts or surprises from the long clip we heard, I'd say a 5.

My hope is that the original songs I like the least may be made better, or at least bring some surprises. Thinking I may end up really loving about 5 or so from this, liking 20 and then feeling meh or badly about the remaining ones.

I definitely am anticipating each new song they will put out there before the release and am enjoying this little detour as we wait for something else down the road.

I do think that, regardless of your opinion of these songs, they have made a strategic blunder in releasing 2 untouchably great, recognisable tunes as the intro to the project. It opens the door to comparisons. I personally think comparisons miss the point and are inane, but I understand why people are doing it. If they had chosen two songs that were lesser known singles - recognisable without being in the all-time bracket then perspectives would have been a bit more grounded.

If they had gone with, say COBL or Stay or Lights of Home for the first two then they wouldn’t be getting such visceral hatred for ruining people’s favourite songs.

So I waited to comment, because it took me about 6 listens of Pride over two days to land on how I felt about it. Pride I give a 6 mostly because of the last half. WOWY is a bit tougher.

At first listen I didn't like it much. Then reading all the comments about the "cracks" in Bono's vocal, which stood out to me at first as well. But here's the thing. This style suits WOWY much better than Pride. It's about a troubled relationship, a man feeling broken with "nothing left to lose" So the vocal makes perfect sense to me and feels right and actually give a whole new dimension on the feeling of this song.

I also really like the lush synths going on in the background. I think that should have been used even more prominently.

So now the bad. I've said it before, but I feel like they are still married to much to the original and even in a reimagining, can't let go of it enough. I don't love the transition from the low to higher register. Why do we even need it?? Could have been more interesting if the entire song was low register and it never "lifted". Thinking more Johnny Cash-esque. But again, too married to original. In the back half, this is where they needed a good vocal editor. I used to comp vocals back in the day. There are parts here where he slips just out of key for a moment, that could and should have been cleaned up. Also the mix is a bit odd. Bono is so up front at the beginning which is fine, I think it works for effect. But then when the big woooahh ooohhhs, come in, it's way back in the mix, which is odd sounding.

And of course the ending. I feel like we are getting these truncated ends maybe because time restraints of putting 40 songs on cd and vinyl?? Sort of how SOI had songs that could have played out with cool outros (The Troubles) but did not.

Also, my least favorite part is Bono singing "with our without you" as the final line. To me the much better end would be to end the song with the "woooaaah oooohh oohhh oohhh's" once those end - a beautiful synth, long fade out ending.

But again, too married to the original, so he sticks that last line in there. At least the original has a gorgeous long played out end.

That said, I give this a 6.5 cause I feel that I do really like the low register, broken man vocal here, I like the backing synths and instrumentation. So opposite of Pride. I'd take a full song of the first half of WOWY, and I like the back half of Pride.

Now bigger picture of this project. I agree with some of the posts here. I think if it had come out the same day as the book, and sold it separately and as a book+album combo, it would be understood better. I think the songs would be seen more as musical sketches or accompaniment to the chapters. Making it its own release so far from the book release makes it seem like a much bigger deal and thus the expectations of a polished and truly solid reimagining become higher.

And while re-doing 40 songs is not at all lazy... Some of these feel like they should have had more time put into them.

One last thing please, before you post "But it doesn't have the things I like from the original!!!" Please reflect on that statement and realize that that is the entire point of this project. I'm on the opposite side and think that they are sticking a bit too close to the original songs.

So far a 6, a 6.5, and if BD doesn't have any big shifts or surprises from the long clip we heard, I'd say a 5.

My hope is that the original songs I like the least may be made better, or at least bring some surprises. Thinking I may end up really loving about 5 or so from this, liking 20 and then feeling meh or badly about the remaining ones.

I definitely am anticipating each new song they will put out there before the release and am enjoying this little detour as we wait for something else down the road.

Lots to unpack here, and I appreciate a well thought through post.

Main thing is I agree 100 that they are too close to the originals. But I also think that I would feel if they were fundamentally different then they’d be wasting musical ideas they could put into new songs. It’s a catch 22, but if you brand something as re-imagining, then it does need to be more than removing the crutch of the well-known riffs but keep the same melodies and structures and emotional pacing.

I do think that, regardless of your opinion of these songs, they have made a strategic blunder in releasing 2 untouchably great, recognisable tunes as the intro to the project. It opens the door to comparisons. I personally think comparisons miss the point and are inane, but I understand why people are doing it. If they had chosen two songs that were lesser known singles - recognisable without being in the all-time bracket then perspectives would have been a bit more grounded.
The whole slow, excruciating rollout for an album of remakes is a strategic blunder. This should have been a surprise drop of the entire album. I think that if everyone could hear the entire collection at once, the response would be positive. But the concept as a concept isn't that exciting, and it won't generate hype as a concept for two more months. The choice of singles is also a major factor in the negative backlash. I was hoping for 11 O'Clock Tick Tick, which appears to be a banger.

Hopefully the St. Paddy's Day documentary and full 40-song release will rekindle some goodwill in the fanbase, but it's brutal out there right now, and I'm saying that as someone who is excited for this release.

So far, I prefer Pride, but I really want to hear the album because on face value those two sound very similar in style and interpretation. I'm hoping for a lot more variety across the 40 tracks, but I can see why they've released those two first.

I'm still of the mindset that this would have been a fantastic lockdown release if they'd finished it in time. I know Bono's book wasn't out and that this isn't a throwaway project, but my gut says it would have fitted the period perfectly given what everyone was going through.

I see Bono has added some more dates to his solo show taking it in to May now.

It's hard to read the room when it comes to fan reaction online anymore as people are still keen to label any piece of art as the new "Best Thing Ever" or some sort of hate crime. Putting those to one side, there are a lot of people who didn't know this album was coming... thought it was versions from Bono's show... thought it was a new album of original songs... didn't know there were snippets of them in the audiobook... or a combination of one or more of the above!

All I've taken from that is that their fan engagement still isn't the best. As if that's news to us on here... But these are taken from online social media groups/forums of dedicated U2 fans. So is a bit weird at the same time.

The whole slow, excruciating rollout for an album of remakes is a strategic blunder. This should have been a surprise drop of the entire album. I think that if everyone could hear the entire collection at once, the response would be positive. But the concept as a concept isn't that exciting, and it won't generate hype as a concept for two more months. The choice of singles is also a major factor in the negative backlash. I was hoping for 11 O'Clock Tick Tick, which appears to be a banger.

Hopefully the St. Paddy's Day documentary and full 40-song release will rekindle some goodwill in the fanbase, but it's brutal out there right now, and I'm saying that as someone who is excited for this release.

Wise words here. A full drop would have been really cool. And would not allow it to get picked apart song by song as we wait for 2 months to get the full thing.

I have to jump in and say I take back my "grandpa" voice comments (mostly).

Something happened over the weekend. I was having my 3rd or 4th listen because I was making a friend aware this project even existed. The difference going from headphones to my television sound-system was rather stark. I don't know if it was the alcohol talking, but I found WoWY growing on me a little from the vocal-tone standpoint.

Even so, there are still enough things that bug me about this interpretation that I can tell it's not going to come out being a favorite among the rest. The abrupt ending everyone is talking about is odd unless it's going to somehow transition immediately into Stay on the album. I don't like the forced change of pacing of the lyrics and new words just for the sake of being different in a mostly just stripped-down version of the song; which leads me to what someone else said...

I don't think it took enough risks. Because it's just kind of a scaled-back variation, the things that ARE different feel forced and fall flat because you can't help but compare it to the original. A more thorough reimagining allows that degree of freedom of "well, that's not what we were going for"

Last thing I'll say is if you're going to hook people on a new version emotionally right out of the gate, you'd best have some instrumentation that's of at least equal value to Clayton's simple, yet driving bassline and I would say that was not achieved here.

I was wavering between 4 and 5 on Friday, but today I feel like it's maybe a 5.5

On a side note, I found the deluxe ZooTV funko pop set at my local Walmart (coastal North Carolina) on clearance for $25. I couldn't not buy it at that price.

I was just passing by a Walmart and stopped in, and theirs wasn’t marked down. :sad:

They did have a RUN-DMC collectors set on sale for $20.

Looks like One is the next song to be released

Attachments

• IMG_5771.JPG
    IMG_5771.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 48
Apple Music is so frustrating sometimes. Just searched for it 3 different ways and it’s not coming up.

I guess it's not on Apple Music which is weird.

My search turned up the fact Bono has his own artist page which in turn reminded me they recorded "We Are The People" for Euro 2020. Genuinely forgotten this was a thing.

And no, I didn't play it.

I did not like that they removed the essence out of Pride, but for some reason I do really enjoy the new With Or Without You (without it ever being anywhere near as spectacular as the original).
So far sounds like this will be an interesting listen, though I do fear that all the songs will get a similar sort of "re-imagining" (removing the main riff with Edge strumming something, everything slowed down and Bono half crooning away) and it will be too same-ish to really warrant a 40 songs project. But, hey, why be picky.

for those who do not have the audiobook...

the start of the "One" chapter has only piano... Bono sings only "you say..." and then a chorus, of which i think at least Edge is a member of, sings the "love is a temple, lover is the higher law" part. bono finally jumps back in with the "you ask me to enter..." part that is somewhat reminiscent of the original. it cuts off after "when all you've got is hurt..."

this part, at least, does not sound like the original at all.

as far as other songs on the book... unless otherwise noted these are all short clips, so when the full clips are heard there could obviously be huge changes.

not including with or without you or pride on this list.

sound very similar to original, just, ya know, acoustic
**lights of home
**cedarwood road
**songs for someone
**invisible
**sunday bloody sunday
**bad (although bono does change some lyrics... after the first surrender, instead of "dislocate" he sings.. "this is a song of surrender" which, ugh, you shouldn't have done that.
**who's gonna ride your wild horses
**stuck in a moment you can't get out of... not as bare bones as the acoustic version they've already released. almost like a pairing of that version and the original.
**beautiful day... although it does sound like there might be something different in the chorus
**ordinary love
**city of blinding lights
**every breaking wave (it might as well be the adele version we already have)
**sometimes you can't make it on your own

slightly different
**out of control... edge singing after the chorus
**i will follow... different lyrics, but sounds exactly the same otherwise, just acoustic
**11 o'clock tick tock...has a jazzy kind of feel to it, but is mostly the same but acoustic
**until the end of the world - feels like a marriage between the original version and patti smith's cover.
**miracle drug... bono sings all of the bridge (he splits with edge on the original)
**i still haven't found what i'm looking for... lower register, acoustic and similar to the original, but for whatever reason the acoustic guitar stood out a bit more here. a bit more pronounced than on some of the other tracks.
**40 - melody and harmonies and lyrics and all are all the same - it's beautiful - the whole song plays over the book's credits. edge is doing something a little different with the guitar in the background. otherwise the same song - but this treatment is really good (IMO)
**all i want is you - melody on the lyrics is the same and all, but there's a church organ going on in the background - they did good with this one.

drastically different
**stories for boys - on piano, adjusted lyrics, edge is on lead vocals in this clip. bono's on backing harmony
**two hearts beat as one - really looking forward to this one. funky piano driven thing going on here. melody remains the same
**where the streets have no name - a bit more atmospheric vs. the driving force of the original
**desire - funky slap guitar thing going on here with edge singing lead vocals in falsetto
**one - has a bit of a gospel like feel
**the fly - lounge fly. whereas bono sings in a lower register on a lot of these, he's singing in a higher register here... and actually singing, not the speak sing thing he does on the original.
**vertigo - so the clip starts with violins, then switches to guitar and banjo that is very reminiscent of some of what we've already heard on the temple bar mix, but the violins return a bit before it cuts out. it may just be a different beginning and the rest is pretty much the same that we know... we shall see.
**get out of your own way - different delivery on the lyrics, hard to explain - not as much of a beautiful day clone anymore.

We gon' talk about that Apple music preview of One?

This project is really hard to judge. I have found the clips aren’t great representations of the finished songs - and in this case, that was very different to the vibe in the existing clip which comes in about 5 seconds after that one ends. I swear I hear Eno and Lanois in the book clip.

Things I like:
The way the bass layers into the keys. It creates a richness and warmth that is really nice.
The musical breaks between verses have a nice mood.

Things I don’t:
Bono’s voice on this clip seems a bit strained in ways I don’t think suit it. WOWY had a mood that I think the voice nailed. Here its fine for the most part, but there’s words and lines that just don’t sound great.
It is a bit plain.

Plainness is fine for me btw. I don’t see this album as recreating genres or wildly different instrumentation. They are reimagining songs a little by stripping them back, moving guitars to keys. It’s fine, and I think the project will certainly be a great than the sun of its parts kind of deal.

Back
Top Bottom