New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe they had an album ready to go back when the book came out, and Edge said, Hold on! I feel like this album needs to be stripped down even more. Bono, can you record your vocals first thing when you wake up? Really going for that your voice is completely shot take

So it'll be another week and this song will be released? It almost feels like it could go a Two Shots of Happy Lounge style to One, but kinda pulls back.

Feels like there's a developing theme here.

Each song so far (I'm extrapolating perhaps too much for One, but we have heard two distinct pieces and it's only 3:37 in length)

Part 1: First couple of verses - Reaction: "Should they really have isolated Bono's voice that much this late in the game?"

Part 2: Middle section kicks in and we get a more full arrangement - Reaction: "Hang on, let's hear what he has to say"

Part 3: Grand finish with enough production to make it to a standard (albeit mellower) album - Reaction: "Was that good? I can't tell. I need to hear it again. Why is it over already?"

Thus I think I've discovered the mood of the album: Partially-Pleasantly Perplexed

Hopefully this one drops on Friday and we get a new song every week now

Also, I like the piano on One but Bono sounds really bad in parts.

Last edited:
One sounds good based on the preview. Nice tension. Bono is oversinging, but who says no to him these days.

The “we get to carry each other” hits different after that episode of Last of Us, however [emoji24]

One preview sounds decent. In terms of a reimagining, they already did that very successfully with the "Pavarotti and Friends" Bosnia concert version. It's on Spotify (it wasn't before). I don't mind having both versions, though.

That's Edge singing lead vocal on the snippet of Two Hearts Beat as One from the audiobook, right? It sounds ridiculous but I kinda like it :dance:

Bono’s vocals on this album are a real enigma. Sometimes all I hear are the cracks, and other times I think it’s amazing. It’s Yanny and Laurel for 2023.

The way Bono sings “you give it awwwwl, but-I-want-more” pretty much sums up how bad this is and how they need new producers, staying away from celebrity influence on their music etc

friends don't let friends release vocal takes like that. it's not even the quality of his voice, it's the bizarre things he does with it. the music is nice enough though.

The way Bono sings “you give it awwwwl, but-I-want-more” pretty much sums up how bad this is and how they need new producers, staying away from celebrity influence on their music etc

Excellent call out. The unreasonable guitar record is going to have the wind taken right out of its sails if nobody's keeping this kind of thing in check.

friends don't let friends release vocal takes like that. it's not even the quality of his voice, it's the bizarre things he does with it. the music is nice enough though.

The intellectual tortoise told us years ago

Have to agree. The music is beautiful but I can't listen to Bono without cringing.

the bass in particular is very nice. whatever edge brings to the next album, i hope the rhythm section is prominent in the mixes because adam and larry have become excellent players and deserve to have their growth as musicians captured on record.

Last edited:

Always hoping a great song turns into another great version of same song no matter how different...

all-aboard-train.gif

Yeah… One.. kind of a stinker. Was Bono recording his vocals on his phone? Sheesh. I still liked Pride and Witherwithoutyou though.

Remember when he posted a song he wrote during lockdown and it was cool, but his voice was clearly not kept-up-with?

I'm wondering if a lot of this was done around that time and they thought it was more raw/revealing to just roll with those takes. One would think, however, this would lend itself to him caring for his voice better if it was all in one stretch of 2020 for example.

Remember when he posted a song he wrote during lockdown and it was cool, but his voice was clearly not kept-up-with?

I'm wondering if a lot of this was done around that time and they thought it was more raw/revealing to just roll with those takes. One would think, however, this would lend itself to him caring for his voice better if it was all in one stretch of 2020 for example.

To be fair, that was a lot of delicate high notes which are no longer in his range and he probably had zero warm up before. All indications from the Ukraine and solo performances have been that he’s sounding far better than these SOS takes would suggest.

Yeah my enthusiasm is all over the place on this project. While it seems like changing the underlying instrumentation is interesting, it’s like they’re trying to keep the melody intact… but sung differently. I’m sure that’s challenging and there’s only so many variations, but I guess there’s a reason why it took so long to get the originals right in the first place. Especially since they do have some odd instincts that cause the songs to take forever to “get right”.

i'm not sure whether this belongs in FYM or here, but it's glorious either way...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...dium=share&utm_campaign=twitter&sref=PAgNlhFX

Add Broadway producer to the long list of George Santos’s fabrications.

While running for Congress in 2021, Santos told some potential donors he was a producer on the musical Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark, according to people familiar with the discussions. That show, which ran from 2011 to 2014, was an ill-fated production that lost tens of millions of dollars and suffered from technical mishaps and actor injuries.

When Spider-Man was playing on Broadway, Santos was in his early to mid 20s and was still living in Brazil for some of 2011, the year it opened. He worked as a customer service representative at a call center for Dish Network in Queens from late 2011 to 2012, according to the New York Times. In 2013, he founded Friends of Pets United to raise money for sick animals. The group was never registered as a charity and the Federal Bureau of Investigation is now probing it.

Santos and Spider-Man do have something in common: they’re both well-known for things not going as planned. Spider-Man, at a cost of $75 million, is the most expensive musical ever made. The show featured music by rock stars Bono and the Edge, as well as aerial combat scenes and complex scenery. Plagued by high costs and technical problems, the production closed at a financial loss.

You’d think U2’s management (whoever it may be at the moment) would want to capitalize on the goodwill from Bono’s bestselling, well-reviewed book and the accompanying tour by having him present at the Grammys tonight. I doubt he’d be refused a spot; hell, they’d probably let him present Album of the Year at the end.

It’s not like the band has an album coming out in a month or anything. :rolleyes:

I had that thought about the Grammys too, but like many of us have observed, we seem to be in confusing times when it comes to promotion and doing the obvious things as far as the book and album is concerned.

Back
Top Bottom