New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont think U2 as an entity are putting much effort behind promoting this. Most of this stuff was recorded over 2 years ago. I'd bet their heads aren't into it.

I dont think U2 as an entity are putting much effort behind promoting this. Most of this stuff was recorded over 2 years ago. I'd bet their heads aren't into it.

i think they're putting the appropriate amount of effort into promoting an album of reimagined songs that's more or less a different way of doing a greatest hits album.

i know i know - they have a documentary coming out (with just two of the band members that doesn't share the same name as the album and is apparently more about the dublin music scene than anything else... alas)... but this isn't the same level of promotion that a new album would have, nor should it have that level of promotion.

there are no music videos attached to this so far. they aren't playing any promotional shows, or doing the talk show circuit. maybe that'll change in March when the album is due to come out - but for me this is the appropriate level of promotion for the project - and i would certainly expect a much higher level of promotion for the new album (whenever that may be).

Correct me if I'm wrong and sorry for my ignorance.

But I thought in order to appear at the Grammy's, you actually had to be invited.

Yes, but I guarantee you that artist managers have contacts within the Recording Academy and can request said invites.

Bono's one of the biggest music figures in the world; if he wanted to attend, he could attend. If he wanted to present, he could present. If he wanted to perform in some all-star jam, he could perform.

Even if this collection wasn't going to get the normal new album push, I still think it's negligent to not have him make an appearance a month out.

Negligent to not have him show up for a minute at the most corrupt and reviled of awards shows? It’s in everyone’s interests to stay as far from that embarrassing spectacle as possible.

i think they're putting the appropriate amount of effort into promoting an album of reimagined songs that's more or less a different way of doing a greatest hits album.

i know i know - they have a documentary coming out (with just two of the band members that doesn't share the same name as the album and is apparently more about the dublin music scene than anything else... alas)... but this isn't the same level of promotion that a new album would have, nor should it have that level of promotion.

there are no music videos attached to this so far. they aren't playing any promotional shows, or doing the talk show circuit. maybe that'll change in March when the album is due to come out - but for me this is the appropriate level of promotion for the project - and i would certainly expect a much higher level of promotion for the new album (whenever that may be).

100% agree

i know i know - they have a documentary coming out (with just two of the band members that doesn't share the same name as the album and is apparently more about the dublin music scene than anything else... alas)

the docu-special will focus on the relationship between Bono and The Edge and how it has developed across 45-plus years of close friendship and one of the most remarkable songwriting partnerships in the history of rock 'n' roll

The doc isn’t about the Dublin music scene, it’s about positioning Bono & Edge as something they’re not in order to be elevate themselves to a status they haven’t earned. U2 isn’t based on a songwriting partnership, it’s based on a band jamming, at least for the 20 year period that produced the material upon which their legacy rests. The tie in with SOS is that it too will likely be a celebration of Song (haaaaallelujah!!!).

Some of their musician pals show up but it’s clearly not a documentary about the Dublin music scene. It’s about two men whos names are mentioned in the same breath as Rodgers & Hammerstein, Lennon & McCartney, and Bacharach & David ( /s)

Bono & The Edge: A Sort of Homecoming, With Dave Letterman finds the former late-night host accepting the U2 duo’s invitation to spend time with them in Dublin, marking Letterman’s first-ever trip to Ireland. With documentary cameras in tow, Bono, the Edge, and Letterman toured the city and its music scene, culminating in an intimate concert performed by the U2 duo at a local landmark.

k

Yes, they tour Dublin and “the music scene” but that doesn’t mean it’s about Dublin’s music scene *more than anything else.* That’s a delusion on your part. It’s about Bono & Edge. They even put it in bold lest any readers have trouble. I honestly don’t know how you twisted that press release to mean that Bono & Edge: A Sort of Homecoming in mostly about a music scene.

The Dublin shit is local colour.

Last edited:
Yes, they tour Dublin and “the music scene” but that doesn’t mean it’s about Dublin’s music scene *more than anything else.* That’s a delusion on your part. It’s about Bono & Edge. They even put it in bold lest any readers have trouble. I honestly don’t know how you twisted that press release to mean that Bono & Edge: A Sort of Homecoming in mostly about a music scene.

I agree, there's no way that "A Sort Of Homecoming" inviting Dave to Dublin where they tour the city and music scene will have much of a focus on the Dublin music scene.

Their bit in the song is actually pretty good.

"U2 contacted the show about doing a guest spot, rather than the other way around."

Now I need to find all my Simpsons memes

simpsons-learn.gif

my bad.

i'm just delusional. it's a problem. it's probably why I think MGM wants the sphere to fail.

Back
Top Bottom